Menu

Best way to prepare eggplant

For those, I would slice thickly, brush both sides with olive oil, sprinke with a bit of salt and grate pepper then grill or roast. Sprinkle with parm.

For older, tougher ones, I sometimes take off the skin and cook them however, they melt into anything. Simply disappear.

There is always Bittman's easy Ratatouille, if you start to get lots of them.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/the-minimalist-easy-ratatouille/

Ratatouille, or however you spell it. peel and dice up the eggplant. Salt VERY VERY well, then put in a colander to drain. It will release liquid and be less bitter that way. Then you can rinse it.

Meanwhile, saute onions and peppers in a pan with olive oil. Add in garlic whatever other veggies you like and the eggplant. Mine usually is onions, red peppers, garlic, eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, and then a can of diced tomatoes. I serve it with toasted french bread, sometimes with cheese melted on top.

Edited by ktgrok

Slice them lengthwise, very thinly. Put on the grill and baste with some olive oil. You will need a low flame. Roast until tender and slightly crispy on the edges. Lightly salt. Yum!

ohhhh, I also bought a big bag of fresh okra that I was planning grill. I hadn't thought about throwing the eggplant on there too.

Thanks

All of those ideas sound good. Now I wish I had bought more of them. :tongue_smilie: I only selected a few because I wasn't sure what I would do with them.

Eggplant tomato sauce on pasta is excellent. I like the texture of that, but you have to be careful to not overcook the the eggplant or it will be total much. I start making the basic sauce first, then add the eggplant towards the end.

Or just roasted and tossed on pasta is good.

I see in todays posting that it seems that all I ever make are foods with salt, pepper, and olive oil. ;) I guess it's true. lol It's such an amazing combination. lol

Slice them lengthwise, very thinly. Put on the grill and baste with some olive oil. You will need a low flame. Roast until tender and slightly crispy on the edges. Lightly salt. Yum!
Except add a bunch of crushed garlic to the EVOO. After grilling, use them to top a white pizza with a super thin crust.

OK, I couldn't find the pizza dough recipe, but here is lazy pita bread substitution.

Pita bread

pesto sauce

mozzarella

eggplant

garlic

olive oil

Chop some garlic and put in the olive oil. Slice the eggplant thin and baste both sides *liberally* with olive oil and garlic mixture. Put on a broiler pan and then lightly salt. Broil until blackened on one side then flip, lightly salt the other side and broil till blackened on the other side.

Meanwhile toast the pitas (cut them in half and stick in the toaster). Layer the broiled eggplant with mozzarella and pesto inside the pita. Drizzle in some more EVOO. Put completed pita inside the hot oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

Basically if you have a good pizza dough recipe you can use that instead.