Menu

Great. I Now Have A Rep

*headdesk*

Went to a soft ball game yesterday w/members of the church. Everyone over 18 was invited to play. So, I went to watch Wolf, and hopefully get to talk to adults.

The Sunday School teacher started chatting w/me.

Diva had proposed a bet w/Wolf and I. She bet she could be quiet for a wk, for $20. HER idea, not ours.

She told the Sunday school teacher that 'she wasn't allowed to talk to us for a wk'. According to Diva, she explained the bet, that it was her idea to the other girls in the class, but the teacher and whatever other adults present missed that :glare: So the teacher questioned me on why we're not allowing Diva to talk to us for a wk.

*headdesk*

Then she started asking me if we're going to allow Diva to go to ps in the fall. Nope. "But she wants to!" "Yes, Diva also wants a pony, and she isn't getting that either. As her parents, we make the decisions as to what's in her best interest, rather than simply what she wants."

"What do you have against the school?"

*headdesk*

On it went. I told her that our decision wasn't open for debate, and we're doing what is in the best interest of our family, period.

Needless to say, I don't think I made friends and influenced ppl.

I should mention that she was pretty aggressive in her tone and questions...and I tend not to take that kind of approach very well. :tongue_smilie:

I told Wolf about it later, and he said, "It's a good thing that we don't give a sh*t about what other ppl think." :lol:

Yes, Diva also wants a pony, and she isn't getting that either.

And I think I've found my new answer to the homeschooling question. :lol:

(My boys LOVE homeschooling, and have yet to want to go to public school. But I'm tucking this one away for future use. :D)

Sorry 'bout the pushy Sunday School teacher. I think some people can be more aggresive in their questioning than the mean to be.

Dsd had to put up with rather aggresive questioning from her great aunt this weekend about why she's a vegetarian. In a way, it was good for her. If you believe strongly about something, you should be able to answer as to why. And this particular aunt does not mean to be offensive; she's just a frank speaking sort of lady.

:lol: Well you did want to talk with adults. :tongue_smilie: Maybe you should think about letting the 13yo out of the closet and allow her to talk too. :lol:

Sorry! I admit to totally having fun at your expense. :tongue_smilie: I can only imagine what they thought once they heard the short version of Diva not being able to speak for a week. Every childhood news horror story was probably running through their minds. They probably thought that if they could just get her into school, that they could save her ... :lol:

LOVE the answer about wanting a pony too! And Wolf's perspective!

Now ... about the pony ...

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Thanks for the responses.

I've talked to Diva about watching what she says, and ensuring that she gives the FULL story. All I need is CPS showing up b/c someone thinks we're being abusive. *sigh*

The joys of small town life. Stories like this have a way of getting around like wildfire :glare:

12 year olds are good at leaving out important information, aren't they!? I can remember at least 2 big discussions with my grandmother and mother at that age because I left out some important details that left the whole situation greatly misunderstood. My ds 12 has been caught doing the same lately. Ah, the power of words!

:grouphug: I am so annoyed by people that just can't mind their own business.

And I think I've found my new answer to the homeschooling question. :lol:

(My boys LOVE homeschooling, and have yet to want to go to public school. But I'm tucking this one away for future use. :D)

Sorry 'bout the pushy Sunday School teacher. I think some people can be more aggresive in their questioning than the mean to be.

Dsd had to put up with rather aggresive questioning from her great aunt this weekend about why she's a vegetarian. In a way, it was good for her. If you believe strongly about something, you should be able to answer as to why. And this particular aunt does not mean to be offensive; she's just a frank speaking sort of lady.

Vegetarians . . . . . sorry about the bunny trail here. . . .. . my 6 yo ds asked a question the other day that made me really think. He was wondering if Adam & Eve, the ones in the Bible, butchered chickens or any other animal to eat. "They're supposed to take care of the animals, right? Did they eat them too? Maybe being a vegetarian is the way people ate before they sinned?"

I know he's almost a vegetarian. I think he's been scarred for life this summer watching us butcher. :001_huh:

Diva's 13, but yeah. :lol:

I'm starting to wonder what OTHER partial stories have been shared. :glare:

Sorry! I don't know where I got 12 from. :confused: I usually check the signature ... and I even remember the great photos you posted from her 13th birthday ... Will edit. Are you sure it will sound better to ask you to let the 13 yo speak? :lol:

Good for you!

The pony line won't work here--we keep getting more ponies...

BTDT and can't use the pony line since we had a lovely American Paint mare and the boys took riding lessons for two years.

So, try this because it really is a show stopper, "Well, ds wants a kimodo dragon and you can bet he isn't getting that either!"

This will shut them up...the idea that a kid wants a vicious, flesh eating monster lizard reminiscent of Jurassic Park will shut them up for sure. People just back away as that "red alert" bell goes off in their head. :D

OP handled it just fine. I really wish we would go back to a more Edwardian approach to polite conversation in which people felt it encumbant upon themselves to keep their opinions to themselves at social functions and particularly, when not with their most intimate friends or specifically asked! I could really get used to that.

Faith

way to join the community! lol don't worry we have been here for 2 years and still get questioned like that, everything in a small town is focused on the the public school and not attending is not just snubbing the school but snubbing the community in the minds of many.

My kids commented for a few years that they wanted to go to ps. For years people would say to me what that woman said to you "but they want to". Last fall we went to the school to tour it and determine if they should go for junior high. We toured the school in our town and the junior/senior high school in the next town over. We were not even through the 2nd tour yet when both kids had determined they will never attend ps if those 2 schools were the choices. They still had it in their heads it would be like K-2 was when they were in before. All recess, games, playtime etc. When the saw the way classes were set up, heard their only realy break was 45 minutes at lunch time, heard teachers lecturing on and on, heard they only got science lab once a week etc it was enough to know they did not want that. All that to say thankfully those comments stopped because now when people ask them if they want to go, they ask the person if they are mentally ill to ask that :lol: The funniest was most recently we were asked if we would send them next year, I asked the person if they have noticed the types of kids coming out of that school, she looked at me for a moment and said "good point, so what are you teaching them next year"

Oh and just to make you feel better about being questioned about why your dd "could" not talk to you for a week, in grade 1 dd had to journal daily. After thanksgiving break the topic was what they did for thanksgiving. In dd's entry she babbled about the meal, the family and then that gramma drank all the wine! Yeah gramma had 2 glasses when everyone else had 1, her 2nd glass finished off the bottle so when dd wrote she drank all the wine she was mortified. The teacher actually asked me about dd's exposure to drunks etc. Gramma was mortified. Same dd also told the school counsellor that I threw away her very favorite stuffy and she missed it very much, I was called into the school to be questioned on that one. The reality she forgot it at gramma's and heard me on the phone to gramma saying just toss it in the bag. Of course to pick up next time, she took it to mean I told gramma to toss it in the trash.

Love Wolf's thoughts. I have used the pony line before too, as well as "I want a million dollars and until I get what I want they don't get what they want"

Have you had any luck finding other homeschoolers in town to connect with? I am the only one in my town and it sucks.

Edited by swellmomma

Same dd also told the school counsellor that I threw away her very favorite stuffy and she missed it very much, I was called into the school to be questioned on that one. The reality she forgot it at gramma's and heard me on the phone to gramma saying just toss it in the bag. Of course to pick up next time, she took it to mean I told gramma to toss it in the trash.

You were called into the school for stuffies? How is it any of their business? OMGness! I could go on an on but I'll stop so as not to derail Imp's thread. But Wow! How cheeky!

Ha! We knew there was never any danger of her winning her bet.

She lost before 24hrs were up :lol:

Yeah, but Mrs. Nosey-Parker didn't know that. (Or maybe she did?)

Next time, you should extend the bet to Mrs. N-P. Although I doubt that type would be able to last 12 hours.

You were called into the school for stuffies? How is it any of their business? OMGness! I could go on an on but I'll stop so as not to derail Imp's thread. But Wow! How cheeky!

Well you see it was her excuse for why she was being so bad in class, so of course it all boiled down to the poor abused child having her stuffy supposedly thrown away.

Yeah, but Mrs. Nosey-Parker didn't know that. (Or maybe she did?)

Next time, you should extend the bet to Mrs. N-P. Although I doubt that type would be able to last 12 hours.

:lol:

When I explained the bet, she commented that she didn't see Diva being able to be quiet for a day, let alone a wk.

Right in front of her, I explained to Wolf what Diva had said...his comments made it clear that I hadn't pulled the 'bet' outta my butt to cover anything.

That's when she switched to questioning our hsing.

Turn the tables and start firing questions right back.

What do you have against home schoolers?

Why do you think 12 year olds should be in charge of important life-altering decisions?

What if your child wanted to home school? I mean if that's important they have what they want, you'd be okay with that right?

And the conversation stopping favorite: Who gave you the authority to investigate my family life?

Diva's 13, but yeah. :lol:

I'm starting to wonder what OTHER partial stories have been shared. :glare:

Whoops! I keep forgetting other people's kids get older too. :tongue_smilie:

I might be having a word with my dd about sharing too much, and how easy for something completely innocent to be taken the wrong way--especially in a new community where people don't really know you yet.

Needless to say, I don't think I made friends and influenced ppl.

I should mention that she was pretty aggressive in her tone and questions...and I tend not to take that kind of approach very well. :tongue_smilie:

I told Wolf about it later, and he said, "It's a good thing that we don't give a sh*t about what other ppl think." :lol:

[/b]

It's a shame you didn't make friends that day, but then again, with friends like that... who would need enemies? You sure don't want to go out of your way to cultivate nosy, busy-bodies that don't know enough to respect you and your boundaries. But of course, you wouldn't want a woman like that going around and gossiping about you and your family. Grr!

Turn the tables and start firing questions right back.

What do you have against home schoolers?

Why do you think 12 year olds should be in charge of important life-altering decisions?

What if your child wanted to home school? I mean if that's important they have what they want, you'd be okay with that right?

And the conversation stopping favorite: Who gave you the authority to investigate my family life?

:lol:

Whoops! I keep forgetting other people's kids get older too. :tongue_smilie:

I might be having a word with my dd about sharing too much, and how easy for something completely innocent to be taken the wrong way--especially in a new community where people don't really know you yet.

Yes, we've had that convo now.

It's a shame you didn't make friends that day, but then again, with friends like that... who would need enemies? You sure don't want to go out of your way to cultivate nosy, busy-bodies that don't know enough to respect you and your boundaries. But of course, you wouldn't want a woman like that going around and gossiping about you and your family. Grr!

This woman comes across as the 'Queen Bee' type. Peeving her off probably wasn't my best move in terms of trying to fit in the community :tongue_smilie: