Menu

How often do you buy a new computer?

I really want a new computer. But I am the kind of person who doesn't like to buy 'myself' things, and like to buy things when they are needed, not wanted. So, my laptop (powerbook) is almost 8 yrs old, and I feel I NEED a new one. My side of the family are all techies and they think my computer is stone-age. Dh doesn't really think I need a new one (although he replaced his 5 yr old desktop last year). I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this issue. How often do you buy a new one? What are your criteria for 'needing' a new one rather than just wanting the latest model?

I do have the money saved to buy the one I want.

I really want a new computer. But I am the kind of person who doesn't like to buy 'myself' things, and like to buy things when they are needed, not wanted. So, my laptop (powerbook) is almost 8 yrs old, and I feel I NEED a new one. My side of the family are all techies and they think my computer is stone-age. Dh doesn't really think I need a new one (although he replaced his 5 yr old desktop last year). I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this issue. How often do you buy a new one? What are your criteria for 'needing' a new one rather than just wanting the latest model?

I do have the money saved to buy the one I want.

Tisk, tisk, tisk.

DH: Honey we don't need a bed. We could just put the mattress on the floor.

Wife: :001_huh:

DH: I need this big, huge, extra large, jumbo flat screen TV, so I can view_______.(fill in the blank: sports, racing, etc..............)

Wife: :001_huh::glare::001_huh:

We get new computers when we have functionality issues (buying more RAM than you think you'll need helps extend a computer's functional life) or when they break down and repair isn't worth the money. I had my first iMac for about 5 years. My current one is almost 2.5 years old, and I have zero issues with speed or functionality. Mind you, it's an Intel Mac; if it weren't, I'd be considering replacing it soon.

Tisk, tisk, tisk.

DH: Honey we don't need a bed. We could just put the mattress on the floor.

Wife: :001_huh:

DH: I need this big, huge, extra large, jumbo flat screen TV, so I can view_______.(fill in the blank: sports, racing, etc..............)

Wife: :001_huh::glare::001_huh:

Thanks for the laugh!!! I needed it. I just want dh to say "Yes!!! Go ahead and get yourself that new computer!"

Luckily we don't have any big-screen tv lovers here...our problem is expensive bikes and bike parts and bike accessories.

We get new computers when we have functionality issues (buying more RAM than you think you'll need helps extend a computer's functional life) or when they break down and repair isn't worth the money. I had my first iMac for about 5 years. My current one is almost 2.5 years old, and I have zero issues with speed or functionality. Mind you, it's an Intel Mac; if it weren't, I'd be considering replacing it soon.

:iagree: With my current computer we purchased way more RAM then DELL wanted to sell me. They said, "For what you are going to use it for, You are buying too much." Before that, we were replacing them every 2 years because they would start to lock-up. The one that I have now is still fast and it is going on 4 years.

My mac is getting slow. I don't want to mention the (lack of) RAM. I had to buy an external drive too (only 20GB on my hd) so that takes away some of the portability. The last straw was when the monitor hinge broke a few days ago. I can't close it.

We get new ones every two years or so. I just *use* the computer, I don't get into the technical details, so my husband upgrades when he feels it's necessary and he knows better than to get himself a new one and not get me one.

Thanks for the laugh!!! I needed it. I just want dh to say "Yes!!! Go ahead and get yourself that new computer!"

Luckily we don't have any big-screen tv lovers here...our problem is expensive bikes and bike parts and bike accessories.

See! Expensive bikes, bike parts, and accessories are okay. I have to say it is what I find endearing about the men in our lives.

My mac is getting slow. I don't want to mention the (lack of) RAM. I had to buy an external drive too (only 20GB on my hd) so that takes away some of the portability. The last straw was when the monitor hinge broke a few days ago. I can't close it.
Wow. I'm not sure how anyone can argue you don't NEED a new computer.

I would say every 3-4 years. I usually let the dc's use my old one as they don't need it so much for photos and digital stuff I use mine for. That is why we currently have 4 computers in our house.

I was planning on giving the kids my old one. Now I'm thinking more about this, and I realize that dh is happy buying a desktop pc, whereas I am a die-hard mac user and I travel a lot so I prefer a laptop. So, I spend a lot more on my computers....but I don't mind keeping them longer.

Wow. I'm not sure how anyone can argue you don't NEED a new computer.

:iagree:

We get a new home computer every 5 years or so. I got a new Intel iMac last Christmas and I'm hoping it lasts a little longer since we got 2GB of memory and a 320 GB hard drive. The prices have come down so much that we paid $500 less for this Mac then we did for my old iMac in 2002 (768 MB of RAM, 80 GB HD.)

DH and I upgraded our computers last year. Dh's laptop bit the dust, it was about 5 years old. The desktop wouldn't run new programs, so ds uses it now and I have a cool laptop. The desktop is about 8 years old and it was custom built.

We will probably upgrade every 6 years.

About every 5 years in the past, but we figure we will buy new ones about every two years for a while because of the kids. I just bought a new laptop that ds will take to college with him in two years (dual enrolled hs/college) and then I will buy another and do the same for dd two years after that. The kids will both get new laptops for highschool graduation so I guess that means we will be buying about 5 new computers it he next 7 years! YIKES!

Our old desktop really needs updating (5 years old) and our criterion for replacing it is mainly in the speed and memory. It is getting slower with the kids programs clogging it up, and we would like to have a new computer with more memory. We will either save the old computer and designate it for the younger kids games (not internet based) or sell it. It isn't worth a lot but there are a lot of homeschoolers in the area who would love a cheap computer. It still runs great but is slower than what we are used to :0)

My current laptop, I asked for for my birthday and Christmas combined, I wanted something that was a little more that a basic model :D. I told dh that I wanted a laptop, but I picked it out and ordered it myself. I am a fairly frugal person, and I figured that if I felt that I needed one, .... that I did!

I used to buy a new one every year, but that was in the "good ol' days" when I actually had a job where I needed the newest toys. Now, I just replace them when they die.

If it helps, I've heard (and can attest from personal experience) that EMachines have a short life span. You can buy those and you're almost guaranteed a new one every three or four years. ;-)

Let's see. We got our Mac SE-30 in 1992.

We got our Gateway 2000 in 2000. :)

We got this Dell in 2005, and it crashed big time in 2006. Got a new hard drive, and I've been very, very careful with it. No more crashes, but it locks up if more than one person is logged on at a time. It sits in the living area of the house, and gets used by EVERYONE in the family, even dh, who has a very nice laptop in his office but prefers to get on mine because it's closer. So - - - I never get to use my own computer.

I really, really, really want an iMac. Dh has said "Go get one already!", but I'm waiting until I'll actually have enough time to get my files transfered, get it set up, and figure out how to use it. I've been waiting for three free days in a row to devote to my new toy (ahem, I mean tool!). I've been waiting for those three days since about February! It will happen soon: this week, perhaps! :)

Ah, it will be so nice to have a computer that no one knows how to use except me!