Menu

Baking an apple pie not from scratch?

Okay, please be kind. I am not a baker, but I'm craving apple pie. I'm on Weight Watchers so I need to be mindful of points. I'm looking online at nutritional information for a ready-made pie crust and a can of Comstock apple filling. The points for those are not bad. Can't I just add in nutmeg and cinnamon to the apple filling and pour it into the pie crust? Then, what would I put on the top of the pie? There needs to be a layer of something, like cookie crumbles or something? What kind of cookies?

Please help this non-baking apple-pie-craving lady! :tongue_smilie:

You can add those spices to the pie filling. For the topping, can you crumble shortbread cookies and sprinkle on top?

I usually make a crumb mixture with oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter (or margarine), but I have never done Weight Watchers so don't know if that is possible.

Linda

I would do a single serve apple crisp in the microwave. Chop an apple, toss with a tsp of sugar and some cinnamon. Top with a mixture of plain uncooked oatmeal (1/4 c?), brown sugar (1/4 c?), flour (1 TB?), and butter (2 TB?).

Microwave for 2 minutes...no hot oven in the summer and portion control. :001_smile:

I would do a single serve apple crisp in the microwave. Chop an apple, toss with a tsp of sugar and some cinnamon. Top with a mixture of plain uncooked oatmeal (1/4 c?), brown sugar (1/4 c?), flour (1 TB?), and butter (2 TB?).

Microwave for 2 minutes...no hot oven in the summer and portion control. :001_smile:

Oh, good idea.

Only two minutes? Does that make the apple soft or still crunchy?

I chop/slice an apple and top it with 1 pkg of instant oatmeal (or similar). I add a few spoonfuls of brown sugar and possibly a small pat of butter and a few spoons of water.

Microwave for 1-2 minutes. Apples are 'medium' tender.

--

If I want to make a more diet friendly version I slice the apple, sprinkle with cinnamon and top with a few drops of stevia (you could also SPRINKLE with sugar). Bake covered for 20 minutes... OPTIONAL: top with a spoon of whipped cream or a crumbled up graham cracker square. This version is softer.

From the Weight Watchers website-8 servings, 6 points each

1 cup(s) all-purpose flour

2 tsp sugar

3 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, chilled and cut up

2 Tbsp water, or more if necessary

4 medium fresh apple(s), McIntosh, peeled and thinly sliced

1/4 cup(s) sugar

1 Tbsp cornstarch

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/3 cup(s) uncooked old fashioned oats

5 Tbsp all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, melted

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

To make the crust, combine 1 cup of flour and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a large bowl or food processor. Add 3 tablespoons of chilled margarine and process (or mix together with your fingers if you do not have a food processor) until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cold water, one tablespoon at a time, and process or mix until a manageable dough forms. Press dough into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Pinch the edges to form a decorative rim; set aside.

To make the filling, combine apples, 1/4 cup of sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a large bowl; toss to coat apples. Arrange mixture in prepared piecrust.

To make the topping, combine oats, 5 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar and melted margarine in a small bowl; sprinkle over apples.

Bake until apples are tender and crumb topping is golden brown, about 45 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.

Apple Pie crumble-8 servings, 6 points each

1 spray(s) cooking spray, butter-flavored if possible

For the crust

1 cup(s) all-purpose flour

2 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp table salt

3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small chunks

2 Tbsp water, or more as needed

For the filling

1/4 cup(s) sugar

4 medium fresh apple(s), peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick*

1 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

1 Tbsp water, at room temperature

For the crumble

2 Tbsp unsalted butter

1/3 cup(s) uncooked rolled oats

5 Tbsp all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp sugar

Instructions

Place oven rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.

To make crust, combine flour, sugar and salt in bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade; whiz to combine. Scatter butter over flour mixture; pulse until dough resembles coarse meal. Slowly add water, adding another tablespoon if needed, until dough comes together. Place dough in prepared pan and press dough up sides and around bottom to form a crust; prick bottom of crust with a fork 5 or 6 times.

To make filling, combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine; evenly spread filling over crust.

To make crumble, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Add oats, flour and sugar; stir to combine and scatter over apples.

Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350ºF and continue baking until crust and crumble are golden and apples are juicy, about 30 to 40 minutes. If pie crust or crumble is getting too dark, cover with foil for last 20 minutes of baking. Let rest at least 30 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces and serving. Yields 1 piece per serving.

Notes

*Use a variety of apples such as McIntosh, Granny Smith and Jonagold.

If you like your apple filling a bit saucier, bake for an additional 10 minutes.

From the Weight Watchers website-8 servings, 6 points each

Yes, I saw that. But it requires separate ingredients that need to be mixed together and then baked. In other words, baking. I'm looking for something that is easy peasy and the idea of dumping filling into a ready-made pie crust and it turning out to be even less points than the WW recipe, then I'm on it. :tongue_smilie:

So.. thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the suggestions. I have to be honest here and admit I copped out this evening. I went to the grocery store but couldn't find the pie filling because the baking section got moved, perhaps behind the building. I really couldn't find it. And then the only regular pie crust was a Kroger brand and I really wanted Pillsbury and only deep dish was available.

So in a fit of wanting something sweet right now, I bought two flavors of WW Smart Ones desserts. I'm going to attempt the pie thing this weekend.

I'm a little leery of doing just the baking apple thing because the best part of pie for me is the crust on the bottom and the crumbles on the top! And then they soak up the vanilla ice cream very nicely. I buy a Carb Smart ice cream that we use for smoothies.

So, my sweet tooth has been satisfied and now I can just eat fruit this evening for another snack. It's all good. :tongue_smilie:

I still want that apple pie/crisp though. ;)

I know this sounds funny but my dad is always coming up with these little tricks.

In the breakfast/granola bar aisle (sorry can't spell), look for the nutri-grain "apple cinnamon" bars, pop one in the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds and yumm.....warm apple pie. Crumble it up on some WW ice cream and eat it a la mode.

Plus it's cheap and I could hardly tell the difference. :D

In the breakfast/granola bar aisle (sorry can't spell), look for the nutri-grain "apple cinnamon" bars, pop one in the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds and yumm.....warm apple pie. Crumble it up on some WW ice cream and eat it a la mode.

I've had some of their cereal bars. They were really good. I never thought about this idea before. Your dad may be a genius. :tongue_smilie:

If you want to stay healthy you can chop up an apple, microwave it with some sugar/spices, then serve it on top of a crumbled up graham cracker in a bowl. Yum. Whipped cream on top would be good too.

I do something similar, but I use applesauce with cinnamon and brown sugar. And I definitely top with whipped cream.

The points are from the old Weight Watchers plans and if you're leery of things like Splenda avoid these recipes.

But one of these might help for next time?

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/Desserts1/ApplePiePizzas.html

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/Desserts1/AppleCrisp.html

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/Desserts2/CaramelAppleCups.html

The points are from the old Weight Watchers plans and if you're leery of things like Splenda avoid these recipes.

But one of these might help for next time?

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/Desserts1/ApplePiePizzas.html

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/Desserts1/AppleCrisp.html

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/Desserts2/CaramelAppleCups.html

Those look interesting. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the biscuit one though.