Menu

If you wanted to make Geography a bigger focus in your homeschool...

Greta

Let's say you'd neglected geography a bit, purely hypothetically of course because I'd never really do such a thing. :tongue_smilie: But let's just say that you'd tried some simple, independent workbooks but your daughter hated them and didn't retain anything from them, and that you'd then tried the method in The Core, but it tended to rarely get done because you prefer something more planned out for the teacher and more fleshed out and complete . . . What programs would you consider for your 7th grader next year?

I'd love something that could really make it fun and engaging. We are going to go "light" on history next year anyway, so Geography could be more of a focal point. And I would love for it to be more than just map work: culture, a little history, some nature/ecosystems, whatever.

Does such a program exist?

I use wall maps and/or pull up maps on the computer to discuss different regions. Then we often watch a documentary about the people of that region. (Netflix) I have younger students, so I use picture books. I have a shelf of picture books written about different cultures. I have folk tales, semi-fiction (i.e. Grandfather's Journey, The Glorious Flight, etc.), fiction and some non-fiction as well. The FIAR program is intended for an early elementary audience, but does an excellent job of taking the child around the world. I can start with the program's recommended base and instruction and then supplement as needed.

You can probably find a list of picture or chapter books that cover regions of the world. If you visit CurrClick I'm sure they have geography lapbooks that would allow you to country studies. Or, for a basic coverage, find a social studies textbook that covers "world cultures." Enjoy!

If you did everything listed in the Trail Guide to World Geography and US Geography by Geography Matters at http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/, you would have more than a year. I would highly recommend getting the newer Student Workbook CD-Rom because it has the outline maps and such in it so you don't have to purchase Uncle Josh's Outline Maps CD-Rom. You would definitely need to get The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide which has a lot of the supplemental things and has a great section of geography vocabulary. At the end of the Trail Guide, there is a study that takes you through Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days. Fun!

We are going to be doing year off from the history rotation to devote to world geography. The reason being that it always seems to fall by the wayside and the private high schools we are considering don't include it in their normal sequence.

I've borrowed a couple textbooks from our virtual charter. Both are by Glencoe and are fairly similar but one is geared towards high schoolers and the other towards middle schoolers. Oak Meadow has a syllabus for the high school one that contains discussion questions and projects. It looks adaptable for use with the middle school textbook if the high school one proves to be too difficult.

Get a copy of 4th grade Rod and Staff Geography. Keep it by the chair you read aloud in. On lazy days when you are too lazy to get up, read a chapter aloud from it. Then before you abandon child to come chat at TWTM, look through Draw Write Now until you find a picture showing a BACKGROUND or map that matches the zone/biome/ continent being discussed in the text. Tell the student to draw a picture and write a few sentences in their best handwriting.

Just have that all handy for when the "better" and more advanced resources are not getting used :-)

7be749fa.jpg

Get a copy of 4th grade Rod and Staff Geography. Keep it by the chair you read aloud in. On lazy days when you are too lazy to get up, read a chapter aloud from it. Then before you abandon child to come chat at TWTM, look through Draw Write Now until you find a picture showing a BACKGROUND or map that matches the zone/biome/ continent being discussed in the text. Tell the student to draw a picture and write a few sentences in their best handwriting.

Hey, what makes you think I would ever do such a thing?! Just because I'm here all the time??? :lol:

Thank you, I will take a look at these, because it sounds like something that my daughter would really enjoy, and that even I could get accomplished! ;) I will have to buy a cover for the book, though, because if she sees that it's for 4th grade, she will be insulted!

Just have that all handy for when the "better" and more advanced resources are not getting used :-)

:D

We are going to be doing year off from the history rotation to devote to world geography. The reason being that it always seems to fall by the wayside and the private high schools we are considering don't include it in their normal sequence.

I've borrowed a couple textbooks from our virtual charter. Both are by Glencoe and are fairly similar but one is geared towards high schoolers and the other towards middle schoolers. Oak Meadow has a syllabus for the high school one that contains discussion questions and projects. It looks adaptable for use with the middle school textbook if the high school one proves to be too difficult.

Thanks! I'll look into them.

If you did everything listed in the Trail Guide to World Geography and US Geography by Geography Matters at http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/, you would have more than a year. I would highly recommend getting the newer Student Workbook CD-Rom because it has the outline maps and such in it so you don't have to purchase Uncle Josh's Outline Maps CD-Rom. You would definitely need to get The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide which has a lot of the supplemental things and has a great section of geography vocabulary. At the end of the Trail Guide, there is a study that takes you through Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days. Fun!

I've heard good things about this before, so thank you for reminding me of it. We could use it for both 7th and 8th if it has that much material.

I use wall maps and/or pull up maps on the computer to discuss different regions. Then we often watch a documentary about the people of that region. (Netflix) I have younger students, so I use picture books. I have a shelf of picture books written about different cultures. I have folk tales, semi-fiction (i.e. Grandfather's Journey, The Glorious Flight, etc.), fiction and some non-fiction as well. The FIAR program is intended for an early elementary audience, but does an excellent job of taking the child around the world. I can start with the program's recommended base and instruction and then supplement as needed.

You can probably find a list of picture or chapter books that cover regions of the world. If you visit CurrClick I'm sure they have geography lapbooks that would allow you to country studies. Or, for a basic coverage, find a social studies textbook that covers "world cultures." Enjoy!

Thanks, this is a good reminder about documentaries. I tend to forget what a great supplement they can be.

I will have to buy a cover for the book, though, because if she sees that it's for 4th grade, she will be insulted!

My adult students like it. I don't think the one I use it with most, has even noticed the cover. Tell your daughter that read aloud grade levels don't count because you are not DOING them. It's just a RESOURCE. It's written mostly as a series of narratives.

I've just started this geography book by Charlotte Mason. So far it seems good as a read aloud.

It helps when you have an overflowing PILE by the read aloud chair. The students are less focused on the book covers, and are LISTENING to you. Hot cocoa and popcorn or knitting needles makes them even less aware of the covers.

And if Draw Write Now is insulting, tell the student to go ahead and draw it anyway they like. They say okay, stare at the blank paper for about 10 minutes, and then pick up DWN as a REFERENCE :-)

Geography is getting DONE here. I use what works in REALITY. Read aloud. Draw. Work on cursive and a couple vocabulary words. Then still have some energy left over for skill drill.

I'm getting old and tired.

Thanks, this is a good reminder about documentaries. I tend to forget what a great supplement they can be.

Never pass up an opportunity to teach a neglected subject with a documentary! Do what you CAN with books, then use TV for what got skipped.

/

That sounds like a great idea. A basic read-aloud supplemented with drawing.

Anyone have a suggestion for a basic geography read-aloud resource that is from a more secular point-of-view? :bigear:

Never pass up an opportunity to teach a neglected subject with a documentary! Do what you CAN with books, then use TV for what got skipped.

Good advice! It can also be a fun addition to a beloved and well-covered subject too. My dd loves all things astronomy right now, and she has enjoyed watching episodes of The Universe through Netflix. Personally, I don't think anything could be better than Carl Sagan's Cosmos, but I guess I'm showing my age. :) That documentary series was tremendously informative, and just as importantly, inspiring to me as a kid.

Have you read Why Geography Matters? It has some problems, but is a good book to start thinking about the importance of geography. If you want fun and education, try some of the 10 Days in games. My kids love them and they're learning a lot about the relative position and size of countries. It is a great place to start.

I haven't read that but I just checked my library's website and they do have it. The games look fun! Thank you!

I have the Ellen McHenry set. One of my students used it by herself and finished all the Bible land maps before wandering away from it. I've always meant to do this, but...it's just not happening. I don't even get to the planning stage with it :-0

That sounds like a great idea. A basic read-aloud supplemented with drawing.

Anyone have a suggestion for a basic geography read-aloud resource that is from a more secular point-of-view? :bigear:

No answer from me, just another :bigear:

You could try just putting it off until your child has graduated and actually been admitted to college, discover with horror that they know no geography at all, and hand them a really thorough workbook of world political and physical geography, telling them they have three months to use that and Wikipedia to cure their appalling ignorance. And meanwhile, sweetie, please don't tell anyone that you were homeschooled.

It's actually working pretty well....

You could try just putting it off until your child has graduated and actually been admitted to college, discover with horror that they know no geography at all, and hand them a really thorough workbook of world political and physical geography, telling them they have three months to use that and Wikipedia to cure their appalling ignorance. And meanwhile, sweetie, please don't tell anyone that you were homeschooled.

:lol:

Gaps are inevitable and the harder we try to close them, the more likely they are to appear in the areas that count most. You cannot fit it all in.

Edited by Hunter

Definitely take a look at Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World With Art. It's simple but can be made so rich with addition of movies, YouTube, music, international food, fiction, etc.

One side thing I've done with my older kids that they've enjoyed is to tie geography into the news. I print out a blank outline map of the world, then have them read the headlines in the newspaper and read the bylines where it gives the location (if not obvious from the headline), then color in the country on the map. If they are interested they read the article (or parts) but I don't require it. It does generate a lot of interesting discussions.

I'm going to use Trail Guide to World Geography next year as well as having my high school dd use Glencoe's World Geography. I might purchase Oak Meadow's syllabus for the Glencoe book as well. For my elementary ds, I'm looking at putting together my own science study that would compliment our geography study.

I like to use the "Painless Placemat" maps. There is a detailed, labeled map on one side and an unlabeled, black outline map on the other. I first bought them because we didn't have a good place to hang a large world map and these were small, handy and durable. I think they were $3.00 a piece.

I also put them on the kitchen table (to use as placemats!) and my kids took it upon themselves to learn the state capitals and country capitals at lunch time. We all talked about the longest river, the mountain ranges, etc. We talk about where we have been, where we would like to go, etc. My kids are not super motivated but this ended up being interesting to them. It was also a great way to "review" history at dinner time with Dad. He would ask, "So what did you do in history today?" They would point places out on the map and talk about it in a very conversational way.

These placemats are inexpensive, easy way to provide a lot of geography exposure, without much effort. And after a week or so I mix up the maps.

I also plan to do the Trail Guide to World Geography next year, more because of my kids' interest and I like how they are going to have to search out answers to different questions.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help! Sounds like there are a lot of great resources to choose from. WRT to the Ellen McHenry one, and the Trail Guide -- are these pretty planned out for the parent? Or do they require a lot of work on your part? I wouldn't necessarily reject or select one on that basis alone, but I do want to have a good idea of what I'm getting into. :)

One side thing I've done with my older kids that they've enjoyed is to tie geography into the news. I print out a blank outline map of the world, then have them read the headlines in the newspaper and read the bylines where it gives the location (if not obvious from the headline), then color in the country on the map. If they are interested they read the article (or parts) but I don't require it. It does generate a lot of interesting discussions.

That is a really great idea!

I like to use the "Painless Placemat" maps. There is a detailed, labeled map on one side and an unlabeled, black outline map on the other. I first bought them because we didn't have a good place to hang a large world map and these were small, handy and durable. I think they were $3.00 a piece.

That is clever, especially if you don't have wall space for big maps. I'm guessing they are laminated so that you can write on them in wet-erase markers?

We read Jules Vernes around the world in 80 days

We watched Michel Palin's Around the world in 80 days to 'see' the difference between then and now.

We need a "like" button on these boards. :001_smile:

:lol: If she's motivated, I bet it is working really well! I remember times in college where I actually learned the material really well because I was under pressure. Wishing her the best of luck with the geography, but especially with starting college. What a wonderful, exciting time of life!

Thanks, everyone, for all the help! Sounds like there are a lot of great resources to choose from. WRT to the Ellen McHenry one, and the Trail Guide -- are these pretty planned out for the parent? Or do they require a lot of work on your part? I wouldn't necessarily reject or select one on that basis alone, but I do want to have a good idea of what I'm getting into. :)

I don't know how labor intense this is because it's just one I have my eye on, but I'm glad to hear other's input on it. Also I've been drooling over Bright Idea Press's new Wondermaps:

https://www.brightideaspress.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Anyone have experience with these?

I wonder if you could do a light Geography using the Children Just Like Me books and Draw/Write/Now? I have all three of the Children Just Like Me books (the main one, the celebrations and Our Favorite Stories), plus many other books about world landmarks, a large dry-erasable world map and a few of the DWN books, which I could get more.

I also have paper dolls for some of the countries. Anyone know of any other fun supplements that might go well with the Children Just Like Me books?

For my littles as we studied through the ABCs we studied coordinated in 1 country using all 3 Children Just Like Me books as we could.

We added this: http://www.amazon.com/Children-Just-Like-Me-Sticker/dp/0751358754

And this: http://www.amazon.com/Sing-Around-World-Pamela-Beall/dp/0843120053/ref=pd_sim_b_1

And a notebooking page of my own design which included coloring in the country on a map of the world, and a place to draw the flag.

I plan to do Mapping the World with Art when they are older. This summer we are license plate hunting. Tourist season is coming, so when we see an out-of-state plate we'll check it off our list and color / mark the state on a map. Hmmm, I better include Canada in that map too...

The other thing is just to use the map. Where are the Vikings from? The Jews? Madagascar (yeah, the movie)? The Mythbusters? Their grandparents (good for a state focus)? Heidi? Egypt (it's in the news)? Then find where we live on the globe, world map, US map and state map.

This is an excellent suggestion!

Teresa who is frantically planning the next school term after ditching all her curriculum, but reaching no conclusions......

Which one do you use?

Or do you own all Draw Write Nows...?

If you can only buy two books, buy 7 and 8. I have them all, and I ADORE them all. I reference them as much as I reference the dictionary, and that is no lie. We are getting very artsy here and no one has any natural talent, and we don't care.

My cultural mythology says we were created in the image of a creator, so I figure we were created to create. End of story. If my ability to create is at a k-3 grade level, so be it. I don't care. That's all I can model. That is all my students need me to model. DWN rocks! :-)

What programs would you consider for your 7th grader next year?

I'd love something that could really make it fun and engaging. We are going to go "light" on history next year anyway, so Geography could be more of a focal point. And I would love for it to be more than just map work: culture, a little history, some nature/ecosystems, whatever.

Does such a program exist?

I think it does, in Trail Guide to World Geography. Each week offers a range of research ideas, as well as specific questions to answer. Week 20 covers Asia - specifically the Middle East. There are 4 questions at each of three levels - these are designed to be done 1-a-day. For Year 7 you might be asking "What Asian countries have a coastline on the Caspian Sea", or "What term best describes land in Turkmenistan: Cropland, forest or sparse grass?". These questions encourage using these atlas and understanding basic geography terms. The more in depth research topics include a section on mapping, watching travel videos, learning about fossil fuels, considering how a dry climate influences archeology, using a compass, examining LOCATION as one if the Five Themes of Geography, and clipping newspaper articles about events in the region.

We are currently engaged in a remedial geography programme of our own. We started with Asia. Dd11 used Stack the Countries iPad app (set to Asia only), the board game 10 Days in Asia and the Asia GeoPuzzle until she knew all the countries of Asia - we reviewed weekly by working together to fill in a huge blank map (enlarged and laminated blank outline world map). That accomplished we are now working through the elementary level questions for Asia in Trails. Once we've worked our way around the world we'll repeat, using the next level of questions, and eventually the indepth questions. It is a somewhat "off label" use of the book, but will work perfectly for our needs.

Nikki

I think it does, in Trail Guide to World Geography. Each week offers a range of research ideas, as well as specific questions to answer. Week 20 covers Asia - specifically the Middle East. There are 4 questions at each of three levels - these are designed to be done 1-a-day. For Year 7 you might be asking "What Asian countries have a coastline on the Caspian Sea", or "What term best describes land in Turkmenistan: Cropland, forest or sparse grass?". These questions encourage using these atlas and understanding basic geography terms. The more in depth research topics include a section on mapping, watching travel videos, learning about fossil fuels, considering how a dry climate influences archeology, using a compass, examining LOCATION as one if the Five Themes of Geography, and clipping newspaper articles about events in the region.

We are currently engaged in a remedial geography programme of our own. We started with Asia. Dd11 used Stack the Countries iPad app (set to Asia only), the board game 10 Days in Asia and the Asia GeoPuzzle until she knew all the countries of Asia - we reviewed weekly by working together to fill in a huge blank map (enlarged and laminated blank outline world map). That accomplished we are now working through the elementary level questions for Asia in Trails. Once we've worked our way around the world we'll repeat, using the next level of questions, and eventually the indepth questions. It is a somewhat "off label" use of the book, but will work perfectly for our needs.

Nikki

Thank you for explaining in more detail how it works. This sounds really good! I think my daughter could definitely use a bit more practice in looking for answers herself. So I like that idea.

Has anyone mentioned Runkles? I am looking at that for possible future use. It is physical geography only, so I would have to add culture another way. I like the documentary idea for that.

No, I don't think I've heard of it before. Thanks!