Menu

Sellers, just curious - what would you do?

I have already paid the postage, so this is just an opinion question...

I had a buyer who paid me through paypal. In her email she sent her address, like many buyers do. She did not say anything other than "Here is my address."

The next day I went to paypal and printed postage. (this part is definitely my fault - I didn't check to see if the addresses were the same. In my defense :) I have never had anyone give me a different address than what was in paypal unless they specifically said that it was different than the address in paypal but this is where they wanted it mailed.)

It came back return to sender. She contacted me today and said it was my fault because I sent it to the wrong address. I agree partially, but at the same time I also think it was her responsibility to point out that her address was different from the one in paypal or, better yet, to change it in paypal since she knew it was wrong.

I'm just wanting input on what you would do in this situation.

Thanks!

Eat the cost. She sent you the address in the email. I always request and use the shipping address from our correspondence, not from paypal. Paypal may only be a billing address.

:iagree: Or it could be a glitch. It took me forever to figure out that my new address was not saving in paypal. I actually had to call them about it.

I have a different address on paypal , because of a recent move. I have bought a few things lately and given the seller my new address. I never explained anything, other than "Here is my address". Maybe I should have, but I have never had a problem.

Ditto on the relocation thing. You also never know if it is a gift being mailed, a grandparent funded paypal account, etc. I always ask and go with the address specified through the contact in the current transaction. I do not print shipping labels from paypal.

Unfortunately I agree with the buyer, you need to absorb the postage costs. That's disappointing, I know, 'cause none of us are getting enough from our used curriculum these days to make it worth mailing the same item twice!

Eat the cost. She sent you the address in the email. I always request and use the shipping address from our correspondence, not from paypal. Paypal may only be a billing address.

:iagree:. I would just reship to the correct address.

:iagree: Or it could be a glitch. It took me forever to figure out that my new address was not saving in paypal. I actually had to call them about it.

I cannot get my new address to save in PayPal either. I have tried numerous times. I always give my address in correspondance and have never had a problem. I think you should just reship it.

When I have sold something, I ask for a good address.

My Paypal address is an old address...never bothered to go fix it.

I always email the person, since we obviously have been communicating via email and not just Paypal, regarding the transaction. I always email them the correct mailing address.

It's your mistake. You'd need to fix it.:D

Yeah, that's why I said I had already remailed the package. It was just one of those bad situations because I didn't really want to sell this particular book but did because I really needed the money...and after paying for shipping twice and the paypal fee I actually gave away the book for free!

I was just curious if anyone would disagree with that because I have run into sellers who would refuse to pay for reshipping since she didn't make it clear the address was different...and some sellers aren't willing to eat a mistake like this and give things away for free!

Thanks again.

Isn't there a Paypal policy that sellers are not supposed to send to an address other than the one on file? I don't think anyone can file a dispute if the address was different.

That said, however, I have often mailed packages to addresses different from what is on file with Paypal. But in all those cases, the seller indicated to me that the address was different from Paypal and they would prefer it be delivered to the one they give me. Did she indicate to you that the address was different?

Isn't there a Paypal policy that sellers are not supposed to send to an address other than the one on file? I don't think anyone can file a dispute if the address was different.

Yes. https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/seller_protection_faq - there's information about seller protection and about shipping to other addresses. This is why many people will ONLY ship to the address in the paypal statement.

Yes. https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/seller_protection_faq - there's information about seller protection and about shipping to other addresses. This is why many people will ONLY ship to the address in the paypal statement.

:iagree: I will *not* ship to an address that is not confirmed through PayPal. I would have done the same thing as you - simply printed the postage and sent the package. I would not have sent it again, though.