Menu

What to do in Nashville in July?

We'll be in Nashville next month for a family reunion, and I'm looking for some family-friendly (and realatively inexpensive) activities. The day-time group activities that have been planned will not work for our young family of 6 (either because they cost $90 a ticket or because a 2yo can't sit still for 3 hours).

We'll be there during the day on a Fri and Sat. What sort activities should we look into?

Look at the events listing for the main library at nashvillepubliclibrary.org. There are a ton of shows and programs during the summer, all free, and the library is air-conditioned.

Not free, but my kids adore the zoo, especially the amazing playground there. They also love the Adventure Science Center, although that's not my favorite excursion.

nashvilleparent.com also has listings for assorted events around town.

In what area of Nashville will you be staying?

Edited by JennyD

Maybe the Frist Center? It's an art museum that is free to kids 18 and under. Adults are $10. There is an art studio where the children (well everybody!) can create their own art. It's near the downtown library and nice and cool--important for July in Nashville!

Edited by ssexton

The zoo....awesome playground.

Walk around the Opryland Hotel. Very very cool. There's even a boat ride that goes through the river inside the hotel.

There's a really neat mall there that we enjoyed looking around. It had things that our mall did not. I believe it is called Opry Mills. They also have a Rainforest Cafe there.

Nashville Shores...we wanted to go here but didn't end up having the time.

We're staying near the airport, but we're driving up so we'll have our van. Also, I don't mind paying admission to things, as long as it's not ridiculously expensive.

The zoo sounds like fun. We have a membership with our local zoo--I'll have to see if they have some sort of reciprocal pricing with the Nashville zoo (is that its actual name?)

Jenny--what don't you like about the Science Center? We have a membership at the Orlando Science Center and I just remembered that dh had suggested we figure out if there was a science center in Nashville that we could get free or reduced admission with our OSC membership.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I don't exactly like the science center, because it has a large climbing structure in the center, multiple stories high and I can lose children in it. It does have great exhibits though.

Music? There are lots of venues for music, but they aren't kid friendly necessarily. The Frist has live music in the lobby on some Friday evenings. You might find some music downtown, but I can't say I ever see people just out playing down there, and I'm there fairly often. The symphony does some free shows in the parks. Check their website for a schedule.

The Parthenon in Centennial Park (near Vanderbilt). It's not free to go in, but it's not pricey.

Maybe the Frist Center? It's an art museum that is free to kids 18 and under. Adults are $10. There is an art studio where the children (well everybody!) can create their own art. It's near the downtown library and nice and cool--important for July in Nashville!

:iagree: w/ both of these.

I don't exactly like the science center, because it has a large climbing structure in the center, multiple stories high and I can lose children in it. It does have great exhibits though.

Yes, this. It's a great place, but just makes for kind of an exhausting trip, I find. However, DH, who is normally very easily worn-out by the kids, seems to be perfectly happy to take them there (go figure) so that's his bailiwick.

Depending on when you're going to be there, right now the Opryland hotel has a teacher discount deal where you can get a room for some days for $89/night-which is less than many other Nashville area hotels. They had no trouble accepting a homeschool teacher ID for us to use it-actually, she barely even glanced at it, and it seemed like the hotel was almost empty except for one convention those days, so I suspect they were just glad to have a room not sitting empty. They're doing a special Dreamworks thing this summer where they're showing movies at night by the pool, have character meet and greets, cookie decorating and so on. Some of the activities have an extra cost and some don't. My DD LOVED it-especially the Madagascar-themed Pool party and being able to watch "How to Train your Dragon" by the pool-and it ended up costing us $30/night LESS than the hotel by the airport that her cheer coach had booked a bunch of rooms at, for a MUCH nicer room.

I say Opryland Hotel (just walking around is amazing - parking can be expensive, and the boat ride is about $10ish per person, but VERY cool and interesting!), the zoo (Nashville Zoo at Grassmere is the official name, I think), Science Center, horse and carriage ride around downtown Nashville, Opry Mills is a fun place to shop and walk around if it is hot.

We LOVE going to Nashville Sounds baseball games! Tickets are fairly affordable for families, and it is a great family atmosphere. Highly recommend evening games in July though!

Anyone who comes to Nashville should see the Parthenon. As others have said the zoo has the best playground. Allow plenty of time for it. The science center is great but the play structure is overwhelming, loud, hot, busy. The Frist is good depending on the exhibits. It can be a little difficult for a two year old but if I remember correctly they do have a play space for children to do art. Opry Land Hotel is a great place to just walk around and enjoy. The boat ride is nice too. Finally the Opry Mills Mall is pretty neat. The last time I was there they had a area where there sting rays. There are several experience kinds of restaurants (Rainforest). They have a play space and a theater. If you are here on the 4th, Crockett Park in Brentwood has the best displays. I don't know the schedule yet but Shakespeare in the park is also family friendly and fun. It looks like we are going to have a hot summer though so plan your activities accordingly.