Menu

Over range microwave or traditional vent hood?

microwave or traditional vent hood?  

1. 1. microwave or traditional vent hood?

• Over range microwave w/vent
    • traditional range hood and counter microwave
    • neither/other/etc.

We're moving and I would like to get a microwave for the "new" house. I have to get a vent hood for the range anyway so I'm wondering if I should get one with an over the range microwave that vents or do a vent hood and countertop microwave.

I'll put a poll but would appreciate any thoughts, experiences, brands etc.

Edited by sbgrace

My over the range microwave broke (after 6yrs) and we haven't gotten around to getting a new one yet, so we have a cheap countertop microwave, and I hate it. Takes up too much space. I stlll want to replace the microwave, but it is very expensive (the irritating thing is that it might just need an expensive part replaced - it works in every way but it doesn't cook the food)

A range hood can be sort of fancier, in a fancy kitchen, than an over the range microwave, though it is not as practical IMO.

Be aware that there are different height requirements. An over the range microwave has a minimum distance between itself and the range, and the distance might be different for a gas range vs electric (you want a gas range). it is not easy to reach the cabinets on top of the microwave.

I think it depends on your height. We didn't think about it ahead of time, but it was downright dangerous for me to get hot dishes out from that high. We went back to a counter one when we moved.

If I wasn't short, I'd love to have the counter space instead.

We have a white Kenmore microwave mounted over the stove.

WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK.

The heat from the stove damages the handle and door of the microwave. It is the stupidest design flaw EVER. We've lived here 10 years, and in that time, have replaced the entire microwave once, the handle and door probably 6 times--

On the counter micros do take up space, for sure. But they don't have the problems that this one has.

If you do get one over the stove, don't get one with plastic as the main material in the door/handle.

We've had both, and I prefer the counter top version, even though it takes up more space. It is just dangerous to get hot dishes/liquids out of the microwave when it is that high, especially if you have children. It is right at face level for most adults. (That said, we had one perched on top of an upright freezer for a while..my dh's idea. That increased the danger exponentially :001_huh:)

For myself I would prefer the microwave over the range, but with kids a countertop model might work better. Really I would love a regular vent hood with a built-in microwave somewhere else in the kitchen (my grandma has one) where the kids can reach--I hate having a microwave on the counter.

I would not waste money on an over-the-range micro - you'd have a lot more expense replacing it, it would probably not be as big as a counter micro - and if it was, do you really want that big a thing in your way when using the stovetop? Or would it be really high up to be out of the way....in which case a lot more inconvenient to use (ok, I am just over 5'1" and really into having things at a lower, useable level.)

Honestly, we have had to replace our heavily-used countertop micro on a yearly basis (but then again, we also buy ones that cost less than $100 as long as they are big enough to hold a full-sized dinner plate). I would not want to replace one that was also a specially mounted thing with a vent - just sounds more costly.

We are currently remodeling our kitchen. We moved some cabinet around and exposed what was under the cabinet over the over the range microwave - scorch marks from a fire.

In this house and our previous house, we had a OTR microwave and the vent leaked into the cabinet over the microwave. Every time I got something out of that cabinet, it was covered with grease. The vent was not sealed properly in either house. My husband ripped out the microwave and we headed to Lowes for a cheap replacement cabinet and a real hood that vented to the room. These hoods have charcoal filters. Now we have a better countertop microwave.

I feel safer with a hood. No more hidden, grease laden fire box over my stove. :tongue_smilie:

The "vent" features on microwave-over-ranges do NOT vent to the outside. They're basically just little fans and they won't pull smoke or grease particles from the air, just circulate them around the kitchen. I would absolutely avoid them! Yuck, yuck, yuck!

I've had a Whirlpool over-the-range microwave for eight years. L.o.v.e. it. I've never had any of the problems that the others have had, and I will never go back to a counter-top model.

If I were designing a kitchen, I'd look for a way to build in the microwave (I've seen one on TV that is actually a *drawer*--how kewl would that be?!); but in this kitchen, I will always have over-the-range.

I voted a traditional range hood. I burned myself when I was a teenager trying to get something out of the microwave while someone else was trying to make something on the stove. I don't think I would ever mix the two.