Menu

Anyone considering ps next year?

After 1.5 years of homeschooling, I find myself considering ps next year for my second grader...but I don't have a great reason to switch. She likes homeschooling and I enjoy the teaching and the planning. We've had a nice year.

My main reasons, I suppose, are that it would make life easier for me and there would be some advantages to her. She has friends at the ps that she would see every day, which despite our efforts she just doesn't have as a homeschooler. She would have a teacher that is not me, which I think may be good in some ways. I'm also finding there are a lot of costs to homeschooling like books, materials and classes, and if she went to school this would free more time up for me to earn money as well as keep these costs down. I also imagine that it would be nice to be just mommy and not teacher too, as I find homeschooling, including classes, outings, playdates, and lessons, in addition to the regular appointments and chores of life, really takes a lot of time and energy. Our public school is just OK. It's a school. There are no real private options.

Anyone btdt and have some insight for me? Are these thoughts just a natural part of homeschooling?

Jessica

If I'm understanding you correctly, your daughter has always been homeschooled, yes?

I sent my kids to school with no intention of homeschooling. I brought them home for a variety of reasons after ds1 completed 1st grade and ds2 completed kindergarten.

While I understand your reasons, especially the friend part, I don't think ps is necessarily the solution that you think it will be. First of all, in my case, it was a constant drain on money- starting with the ridiculously long and expensive list of school supplies, the $50.00 check for miscellaneous supplies, the $10.00 to the room mother for class parties, the fundraisers, the spirit wear (which, of course you didn't HAVE to buy, but then your kid was the only reject in the school without it on spirit day), the T shirt for field day, the specific outfit for the choir concert, and on and on.

Secondly, getting a job is not as easy as it sounds to work around a school calendar. I had a job at a preschool, which pretty much followed the same school calendar, but other jobs are not that adaptable.

Then there is the homework in the evenings. Even in K, these kids come home with worksheets and flash cards, etc. The evenings are basically homework, dinner, bath, bed. Not much fun.

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but I think that you are probably just burnt out and think that ps will change that. You say "that it would make life easier" for you. I don't really think that is true. Some things may be easier, but other things will definitely be more difficult.

I don't think you were harsh at all! This is a good reality check for me. I should clarify I work flexible hours from home (lucky, I know), and I could take on more work or work during the day when ds is in preschool and younger dd is napping if my 2nd grader was in school. This would mean not having to work in all my spare time when kids are in bed for the night!

But you are right about homework and so on. My daughter went to half-day kindergarten for a little over half of her K year, so we have some experience but not with full-day school. She thought it was OK, but doesn't miss school. Thanks for your reply! Not even sure if I am serious about it, but can't help wonder if it would be a good option.

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but I think that you are probably just burnt out and think that ps will change that. You say "that it would make life easier" for you. I don't really think that is true. Some things may be easier, but other things will definitely be more difficult.

:iagree: My oldest went to 2 years of public school. I didn't find it "easier", and in many ways I found it stressful and more work. Our evenings were filled with trying to fill in papers for school and a crabby kid. We probably spend somewhat more money homeschooling, but much of the enrichment we do, we were doing while he was in school to round out his education anyway. And our PS is top rated in a high achieving state.

I don't think PS is evil and I know it works great for many families. But I don't think it's necessarily easier for many kids unless you have a perfectly average child with a strong sense of self that is happy sitting in a classroom following rules.

I have to agree with thescrappyhomeschooler here.

I am coming from the opposite side of the coin here. My kids have been in PS their entire lives and we are just beginning our HS adventure together.

I found PS to be a constant drain on money. Just in the last 2 months I have probably spent a few hundred on PS and their various field trips, fundraisers, class projects, parties, the list goes on and on. Not to mention, I feel like I have to buy certain clothing for them in order for them to 'fit in' in PS. Obviously, that is not a requirement and it's nothing that I would ever say to them... but I think it comes from my own insecurities about fitting in when I was in PS.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. But I wouldn't make the decision based on the outgoing money. I think you'll find that it's not as little as you'd expect.

I I should clarify I work flexible hours from home (lucky, I know), and I could take on more work or work during the day when ds is in preschool and younger dd is napping if my 2nd grader was in school. This would mean not having to work in all my spare time when kids are in bed for the night!

That is lucky. In that case, if money is tight, then it might be a consideration for you. My older son had such a horrible time in school (aspie) that I can't even consider sending him back. He does need some friends, though, and while I've been desperately trying to get him to meet some friends, it's not happening. I do think school would help with this. He did have friends he liked, and he still sees one of them from time to time, but the others have faded away because of everyone's busy schedules. It's just the administration and teachers I don't want to have to deal with anymore!

Why did you become a homeschooler in the first place? Are those still valid reasons for continuing? It's not uncommon to reevaluate on a yearly basis to see if homeschooling is still the best choice.

My reasons were that she wasn't quite challenged in school and I began reading about homeschooling and wanted to try it. I'm so glad we did. We got to have so many experiences in the past year. Yes, I guess I'm a little burned out but I could keep going. I do wish she had a couple close friends she could see regularly and that my days didn't feel overloaded. I think the "grass is greener" is probably a very good way to describe my mindset right now.

DS11 will be going to school in September. For him it is the perfect school at the right time. I would never even consider sending my younger two to school just now. For the early years I firmly believe that homeschool is far superior to any of the options locally (we do know what is available locally as the boys went to school until we started homeschooling three years ago). It is very frustrating to witness the failures and harm that can so easily occur at even good schools.

My reasons were that she wasn't quite challenged in school and I began reading about homeschooling and wanted to try it. I'm so glad we did. We got to have so many experiences in the past year. Yes, I guess I'm a little burned out but I could keep going. I do wish she had a couple close friends she could see regularly and that my days didn't feel overloaded. I think the "grass is greener" is probably a very good way to describe my mindset right now.

And I just saw your signature and see you have a baby too. Are you taking the summer off or are you schooling year round? Have you added in your 4 yr. old to your daily lessons yet? Your plate looks full. :grouphug:

And I just saw your signature and see you have a baby too. Are you taking the summer off or are you schooling year round? Have you added in your 4 yr. old to your daily lessons yet? Your plate looks full. :grouphug:

My 4yo does joins us for some lessons and goes to preschool a few mornings per week. I'm also lucky the baby is a great sleeper and not too demanding (yet, at least). It is a full plate, but I am managing. We are going to do some fun, light lessons throughout the summer.

Anyone considering ps next year?

Nope, not for any year. We use the ps for sports and the college for dual enrollment. The regular ps for academics? Nope.

We hs for academic and religious reasons, so it's not an option for us. My children would get NO education since they're not in the annointed class of parents being college profs or ps teachers. Our local ps isn't even at the state "average" standards--that's a scary thought. In the last three years, the new private school has gone from 15 students to 30 and now is capped at 65--does that tell you there was a need?

You sound burned out--time for a break!

My dc get plenty of friend time at sports, music and just hanging with friends.

2nd grade is such a fun year--so many books! Wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Our public schools also rank below average in the state, though I'm sure there are some good teachers there. Thanks--I would really miss teaching the wonderful books in 2nd grade. You definitely got me there. :001_smile:

I am in the opposite boat. DS is in PS now, and I am considering homeschooling next year. She says she would like to stay home so she can actually learn something. She has also been begging me to arrange playdates, since she hardly ever gets to talk to or play with her school friends during the day.

:grouphug:Anytime I have a fleeting thought about sending one of my kids back to school on a rough day, I remember that our lives were much MORE stressful when they were in school. Sometimes an afternoon off or a trip to the zoo or science museum helps us get past it. As a PP mentioned, it is no fun dealing with a cranky kid who has an hour or so of homework to do before rushing them to bed and rushing back out the door again in the morning. My kids were in 3rd, 1st, and preK when I pulled them. We are a much happier (and smarter:D) family now...

But I know the feeling...:grouphug:

No. Never. A mediocre education at an "ok" school is not an option for my child. He deserves better than that, and it is my job as a parent to provide it.

Feeling bored, tired of it, frustrated, stressed, etc. is not a good enough reason to give my child less than what he could have by homeschooling. Have I ever felt that way over the past 17 years of homeschooling three kids...you bet. Do I allow that to be an excuse...nope. It's my problem, not my kids' problem.

Or in the words of my grandmother..."Suck it up, Buttercup.". Do the right thing by your dd and don't force her to settle for less because you're "tired" of homeschooling.

We are putting our kids in PS next year. I don't consider it a lesser option than HS'ing, and I feel that it is the best thing for my kids right now, just as I thought HS'ing was the best thing for them the past 4 years.

I don't think it's unusual to re-evaluate what you've been doing. However, I wouldn't rush to a decision. Take some time off, even the whole summer. Then decide what you want to do. We contemplated our decision for the entire school year.

We are putting our kids in PS next year. I don't consider it a lesser option than HS'ing, and I feel that it is the best thing for my kids right now, just as I thought HS'ing was the best thing for them the past 4 years.

I don't think it's unusual to re-evaluate what you've been doing. However, I wouldn't rush to a decision. Take some time off, even the whole summer. Then decide what you want to do. We contemplated our decision for the entire school year.

:iagree:

You have determine whether this is a big picture shift or if you're exhausted/burned out etc and need a few weeks of and some serious cheerleading & encouragement.

We put DD into private school this past year- it is not a lesser option, just a different option. :)

The transition proved marvelous for our entire family & our mother/daughter relationship. Unlike PP's, I have not found sending DD to school anywhere near as stressful as homeschooling. Yes, I miss our hand-picked curricula options, the freedom of schedule and overall times spent together, but being 'out of control' is liberating for me. Sure there are projects, fundraisers, homework, field trips etc- I don't get to call the shots. But that's the upside- I don't have to call ALL of the shots, and can save my time energies for afterschooling, weekends & SUMMER! And, I can work PT and keep up with household demands- something I could not manage while HS....

No one here can tell you what to do as each situation is different. :grouphug: But that''s just it- each situation is different, and putting your DC into a group education might be a good thing. Yes I know this is a homeschooling board (and we might very well transition back to HS in the future) and so I know 99% of everyone is uber-supportive to 'just.keep.swimming' but I wanted to add my experience as perspective.

You have determine whether this is a big picture shift or if you're exhausted/burned out etc and need a few weeks of and some serious cheerleading & encouragement.

We put DD into private school this past year- it is not a lesser option, just a different option. :)

The transition proved marvelous for our entire family & our mother/daughter relationship. Unlike PP's, I have not found sending DD to school anywhere near as stressful as homeschooling. Yes, I miss our hand-picked curricula options, the freedom of schedule and overall times spent together, but being 'out of control' is liberating for me. Sure there are projects, fundraisers, homework, field trips etc- I don't get to call the shots. But that's the upside- I don't have to call ALL of the shots, and can save my time energies for afterschooling, weekends & SUMMER! And, I can work PT and keep up with household demands- something I could not manage while HS....

No one here can tell you what to do as each situation is different. :grouphug: But that''s just it- each situation is different, and putting your DC into a group education might be a good thing. Yes I know this is a homeschooling board (and we might very well transition back to HS in the future) and so I know 99% of everyone is uber-supportive to 'just.keep.swimming' but I wanted to add my experience as perspective.

Thanks for posting--it's good to hear from somebody who has done this and it all worked out. Maybe sometimes the grass actually is greener. I just wish I had a decent school option! I do love homeschooling though. I keep going back and forth, but then keep coming back to continuing to homeschool.

No. Never. A mediocre education at an "ok" school is not an option for my child. He deserves better than that, and it is my job as a parent to provide it.

Feeling bored, tired of it, frustrated, stressed, etc. is not a good enough reason to give my child less than what he could have by homeschooling. Have I ever felt that way over the past 17 years of homeschooling three kids...you bet. Do I allow that to be an excuse...nope. It's my problem, not my kids' problem.

Or in the words of my grandmother..."Suck it up, Buttercup.". Do the right thing by your dd and don't force her to settle for less because you're "tired" of homeschooling.

My kids are high school age now and we have been homeschooling for nine years. Yes, we are considering ps next year. They will at least attend the public high school part time. My kids are at a point where they deisire outside classes; the social aspect is not so much a concern for them as they are perfectly content with the friends/social interactions they now have. We researched numerous online class options and compared them to what our local ps has to offer. The high school offers classes that are a good fit for my kids' interests (STEM related options like AP comp sci, AP Physics, Engineering classes, etc) plus it is an all around high achieving school district (top in our state, high SAT scores, 90%of kids taking AP classes get 3+, etc). I do not think we are settling for a mediocre education at all. My kids will be taking advanced classes and they plan to continue on to the state U for grades 11 and 12. They are motivated self educating individuals who would like to take advantage of the options available to them.

I am, however, so very glad that we were able to homeschool throughout elementary and middle school. The first 2 or 3 years were definitely the hardest and I often wondered whether or not I was doing my kids a disservice. Now I see that they grown in ways I never imagined and I am very grateful for all the time we had together.

Best luck with whatever you decide.

:grouphug:

I am, however, so very glad that we were able to homeschool throughout elementary and middle school. The first 2 or 3 years were definitely the hardest and I often wondered whether or not I was doing my kids a disservice. Now I see that they grown in ways I never imagined and I am very grateful for all the time we had together.

Best luck with whatever you decide.

:grouphug:

This is so good to hear. It's funny--I actually enjoy homeschooling and so does my daughter. I wonder where these thoughts keep coming from. Maybe I just can't leave well enough alone. This part of me wonders if she is "missing out" somehow, yet she is happy so I'm just borrowing trouble I guess.