Menu

I need serious help with feeding these people!

I was already going to post looking for nutritional guidance on this. I actually wonder if it would be worth paying a nutritionist for help.

Anyway, I have two teen sons. It is always a struggle to keep them fed and hydrated. Twin A is a tournament tennis player. We travel a lot with him. Mostly we travel in a region that covers the Southern states. So he might be playing in 100 degree weather this summer, sometimes 2 - 3 hour matches, often two or three matches a day.

We are basically living out of a car and hotel on these trips which can last several days to a week. We try to avoid fast food, though Subway and Panerra become staples.

It is really hard trying to manage food and liquids in a closed in car in that kind of heat. I keep a big cooler in the car and fill it with water, juice, Gatorade, etc. But the ice melts quickly, so if I put food in there, it gets nasty from water. But any food not kept in there Gets nasty from the heat of the car. And ds needs lots and lots of snacks all day. He doesn't want to eat heavy things before matches, match times get delayed, and he needs food out on the court with him if a matches goes into a second or third hour. Protein or meal replacement bars melt, fruit gets warm and gross, etc.

If I tried using frozen Pack things instead of ice, that would work for a day and the food would not get wet, but then they thaw and I have no way to freeze them in a hotel.

I just need ideas for how to manage this.

And that alone seemed like a challenge, but today ds said the thinks he needs to try a wheat free diet because of breathing issues and eczema. I will say that a wheat free diet did absolutely cure Twin B's breathing problems as a swimmer, and cleared his skin up as well. But when he stopped swimming, he stopped avoiding wheat, and I must admit it made my life easier. So now he eats wheat and his brother wants to quit

Thinking about trying to handle tennis tournament on the road in the heat gluten free makes me want to cry! Oh, and his coach wants him eating 1000 more calories. Day than he currently is.

You need a really good quality cooler (i.e. the type that is meant to keep things cold for a minimum of 5 days). We bought one at BJ's a few years ago and it keeps our stuff much better than a regular cooler. Secondly, I would consider putting things in tupperware style (waterproof) containers so they will not get soggy if the ice melts.

Can you take the cooler inside your hotel each night, draining any water and replenishing the ice?

Some food ideas:

Pre-cooked chicken, sliced, can be put onto a tortilla (I'm sure they make wheat-free wraps), with lettuce, cheese, and some ranch dressing. You could keep each of the items separate until just before meal-time so they don't get soggy.

Cold tortellini salad with pepperoni (or salami), mozzarella cubes, cucumbers and mixed with some italian salad dressing.

Nuts make a great snack, high in protein.

Have you tried pre-freezing some of the stuff, like protein bars, juice, gatorade, etc.? That way they can thaw out in the cooler during the day.

I'm sorry. That has got to be a giant pain in the drain! I've found several gluten-free snack bars that provide some energy. Check out your local grocery store for different varieties.

ETA: Request a portable fridge in your hotel room. They usually have a little freezer area that you can chill stuff in before you pack it back in the cooler.

Maybe a 12V car cooler like this one?

http://www.compactappliance.com/12-Volt-Travel-Coolers/Outdoor_Living-Travel_Coolers,default,sc.html

We had a similiar one one summer when we travelled down south for several months with small children. It worked great for keeping things cool and dry.

Wheat-free, eh? I like the nutritionist idea too. Cheese, sliced or cubed meats, rice cakes. We have a brand of crackers called Mary's Gone that is wheat-free and delicious. Do some prep in the hotel room - broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, peppers chopped for snacking. I have also seen wheat-free flatbread in the grocery store specialty section. This would make good sandwiches or top with pizza sauce and cheese for a mini-pizza snack.

We have a 12v cooler which works well. It can be plugged into the car or with a transformer into a wall socket. Ours gets extremely cold it can freeze at the bottom. If you do get one be careful that you don't run you car battery flat as I did manage this once. Could be worth getting a leisure battery to run it off.

Alternatively one of these rechargeable compressor coolers though they are extremely expensive.

Edited by lailasmum

Would two separate coolers help? One for drinks and the other for food? You might also find some kind of grate (roasting rack, dish dry rack, small shelving extension) to put across the bottom of the food cooler so that condensation and melt stays under the level of the food (the food would be at least 3 inches above the bottom of the cooler). Even with ice packs it gets wet in ours eventually.

Have you thought about making beef jerky? You can also make chex mix with the gf flavors, nuts, raisins, dried fruit, etc.

I agree with the high end coolers that keep stuff cold for multiple days. Anyplace that sells boating stuff sells those as well.

With the GF, there are so many options now that it is pretty easy to do. Could you pack non-fridgey kind of stuff like a nut butter (almond, cashew, peanut, sunbutter, etc.) on GF bread or GF "graham" crackers? Home made granola or trail mix, or how about popcorn? There are also GF cereal bars (made by Glutino). You could pack fruit like clementines, apples, grapes or veggies like baby carrots and celery sticks.

That's all I can think of right now as far as the snacking goes. For lunches you can pre-make and freeze sandwiches (on GF bread!) or even freeze divided up meat and do lettuce wrapped sandwiches.

You need a really good quality cooler (i.e. the type that is meant to keep things cold for a minimum of 5 days). We bought one at BJ's a few years ago and it keeps our stuff much better than a regular cooler. Secondly, I would consider putting things in tupperware style (waterproof) containers so they will not get soggy if the ice melts.

Can you take the cooler inside your hotel each night, draining any water and replenishing the ice?

Some food ideas:

Pre-cooked chicken, sliced, can be put onto a tortilla (I'm sure they make wheat-free wraps), with lettuce, cheese, and some ranch dressing. You could keep each of the items separate until just before meal-time so they don't get soggy.

Cold tortellini salad with pepperoni (or salami), mozzarella cubes, cucumbers and mixed with some italian salad dressing.

Nuts make a great snack, high in protein.

These are all really good ideas. The high quality cooler and keeping things in a plastic container are key.

Does he eat avocado? Cubed avocado, tomatoes, cubed cheese, diced chicken...that kind of thing makes a great cold salad that is easy to eat and will hold him quite a while.

Do tennis players use gels like cyclists and runners use? I know you want real food but I'm thinking that if he needs something during a match, a gel seems faster and easier than food.

I have a bunch of food allergies.

When I travel, I take a cooler with food sealed from a food saver. It keeps the water out. They are a bit pricey for the unit, but well worth it in savings in the long run for you, I think. You might also be able to find one on craigs list for cheaper.

I re-freeze or refrigerate at night in the hotel fridge and then put back into cooler with ice from hotel or local grocery store if the hotel doesn't have ice.

You can also bring a small toaster oven or what my husband calls my "easy-bake oven," a small cooking device that works in the car, 12-volt.

We camp using a cooler. My easy trick for keeping food dry in melting ice is to use empty large plastic peanut butter jars. Screw on the lid tightly then do a few wraps of duct tape around the junction between the lid and the jar. I've never had a leak with this.

Other jar sizes with screw on lids will work as well.

We have coleman cooler that works like a fridge. We can plug it into the car jack or a standard outlet. It can also keep things warm. I don't know if they still make them, we've had ours for about 7 yrs.

Comfort Suites almost always have fridges w/ little freezers in them.

Gluten free on the road stinks, but you could make some gf hamburger buns to take w/ you, and order burgers w/ out the buns. Chick fil a, Wendy's, and mexican food places are good sources of gf.

Granola bars w/out chocolate or peanut butter generally don't melt (think crunchy kind, not chewy).

Freeze your water bottles and gatorades, and use them as ice blocks- they will keep snacks cool without the water, and as they melt, he still has something cold to drink.