Menu

Finished Moby Dick-- WONDERFUL!

It is one of my favorite books too. The depth of language is wonderful. :001_smile:

I have not yet finished Moby Dick, but I really enjoy the language. I love the writing! I sometimes read pages over and over because a particular passage will catch me and not let go. No wonder it is taking so long to finish. :lol:

I have not yet finished Moby Dick, but I really enjoy the language. I love the writing! I sometimes read pages over and over because a particular passage will catch me and not let go. No wonder it is taking so long to finish. :lol:

I did this, too. Melville's language is scrumptious!

A teensy bit off topic, but can anyone provide a link to their favorite edition on amazon? We need to buy an unabridged copy.

Thanks in advance!

I'm no help. I read it on my kindle, using gutenberg's free etext. It was lovely to be able to read a huge tome in one hand with a 3 year old napping in my lap! :)

Wow!

I'm so glad I took the plunge and read Moby Dick. It has got to be one of the very best books I have ever read. Fantastic. Just... fantastic.

That is all!

MM

In spite of very much enjoying the classics assigned during my high school English classes, I remember how much I hated Moby Dick. But, my taste in language has changed over the past 20 years. If you all love it so much, maybe I should give it another chance?

You might be interested in the March 14 entry of the Brain Pickings blog which discusses Matt Kish's Moby-Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page. The Amazon link for the book is here.

Regards,

Kareni

What a cool blog! Thanks for pointing it out!

A teensy bit off topic, but can anyone provide a link to their favorite edition on amazon? We need to buy an unabridged copy.

Thanks in advance!

My favorite is the University of California Press Edition hardcover illustrated by Barry Moser.

The writing in Moby Dick takes my breath away!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

My favorite is the University of California Press Edition hardcover illustrated by Barry Moser.

The writing in Moby Dick takes my breath away!

Bill

Thanks Bill. This one? http://www.amazon.com/Moby-Dick-Whale-Herman-Melville/dp/0520043545/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338479550&sr=8-1 - Me oh my, the price!!

Btw, we went to Moby Dick the opera, but could only stay for half because it was so late, so long, and it was during the craziest weekend of the play my daughter was in. What we saw was amaaaazing, but so disappointing to have to leave at intermission :(

i am fascinated by the homo-erotic bits.

I was going to google them up and address it here but luckily decided against entering the phrase and the title into google when it occurred to me what might pop up in the search results.

:lol:

Yah, a little expensive. But something to look for if one shows up in great condition used at a good price.

BTW, Barry Moser's King James Bible is another magnificent book to own. Unlike most KJV Bibles (with their tiny type and onion-skin paper) his edition is a pleasure to read.

Btw, we went to Moby Dick the opera, but could only stay for half because it was so late, so long, and it was during the craziest weekend of the play my daughter was in. What we saw was amaaaazing, but so disappointing to have to leave at intermission :(

I wish I'd seen it.

Bill

Thanks in advance!

This edition has stunning illustrations by Rockwell Kent. If you search around a bit, you could find a similar edition for less.

http://www.amazon.com/Moby-Dick-Modern-Library-Rockwell/dp/B00448GT9K/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339128220&sr=1-8

I am impressed whenever I have met someone IRL or online that finished it. Moby Dick is the one and only book I was assigned during my educational career. I made it about 2/3rds of the way through the book and when I got to the second chapter on how white that whale was I threw the book across the room. It went behind my dresser and was not retrieved until I moved out of housing at the end of the year.

Congratulations!

I just started The Well-Trained Mind, so I will be reading Moby Dick soon. I'm looking forward the challenge, especially after reading the enthusiastic comments in this thread. I think it's amusing that Susan Wise Bauer has never made it through this novel, even after eight attempts!

Wow!

I'm so glad I took the plunge and read Moby Dick. It has got to be one of the very best books I have ever read. Fantastic. Just... fantastic.

That is all!

MM

Yay! :hurray: Spycar will be so proud of you! hehehehe :D

I've never read it myself (yet), but it's on my list. :) What was it that you liked best about the book? Was it the story itself or the use of the language in the writing? or everything? :D hehe

Yay! :hurray: Spycar will be so proud of you! hehehehe :D

I've never read it myself (yet), but it's on my list. :) What was it that you liked best about the book? Was it the story itself or the use of the language in the writing? or everything? :D hehe

This is definitely not a plot-driven book :D

I'm a sucker for old classics, for they tend to use gorgeous, DESCRIPTIVE language. (For some reason, it's frowned upon in modern writing. What a shame.) I love reading 6 long paragraphs of Dickens describing a smile! I love reading a chapter of Melville describing various artwork throughout time and how they depicted whale-hunting. :)

So, yup, for me it's the language. I read and reread and reread several sections that were simply more enjoyable to savor than butter-pecan ice cream or a fantastic mug of steaming hot coffee.

I'm challenging myself to read TOMES this year. I think MB qualifies ;)

This is definitely not a plot-driven book :D

I'm a sucker for old classics, for they tend to use gorgeous, DESCRIPTIVE language. (For some reason, it's frowned upon in modern writing. What a shame.) I love reading 6 long paragraphs of Dickens describing a smile! I love reading a chapter of Melville describing various artwork throughout time and how they depicted whale-hunting. :)

So, yup, for me it's the language. I read and reread and reread several sections that were simply more enjoyable to savor than butter-pecan ice cream or a fantastic mug of steaming hot coffee.

I'm challenging myself to read TOMES this year. I think MB qualifies ;)

It sounds lovely!! Maybe I'll find time this summer to crack it open. :) Thanks so much for starting this thread. It's something I've always known I should read, but never have. Thanks for starting the fire under me. :)