Menu

Poll...what choice to make?

What should we do?  

1. 1. What should we do?

• Just move as quickly as you can
    • Try to find a monthly rental

We are moving to a home (former repossession) that needs a lot of work prior to moving in--

1. drywall repair and painting

2. all new flooring

3. all new kitchen--cabinets, appliances, wiring, etc.

4. major plumbing work/repair just to get the water on

5. new stairs installed

6. install heat pump (no central air in this home) including reworking bad ducts

Much of this we're going to try to do ourselves but even going as quickly as we can it's going to take time. Then we have to hire people for the plumbing, electric, stairs, and air/heat pump. I met with heating and air today. Of course things are super busy this time of year due to extreme heat so we're going to be lucky if they can work us in at the end of June/early July. There is more to be done but this stuff is the minimum before moving in.

We can't (due to my son's health issues) list our present home for sale until we've moved out. There are some things we'll need to do here after moving out to get ready to list.

The real estate market in this town right now is very good. It won't, I presume, be very good at the end of the summer into fall.

I'm concerned we're going to "miss" the market.

What would you do?

1. Just get things done and move as quickly as we can...the house might hit the market in late July if all is ideal but I'm not even sure of that. This is less money spent but we might have poor timing in entering the market too late.

2. Try to find a monthly rental and move out so we can get our present home ready and on the market faster (early July maybe...) The downside is the extra cost and hassle of renting and moving twice. It may save us only a month but it might save us more time. I really don't know how long things are going to take.

Edited by sbgrace

Prioritize those things that need doing. What can you live with. what must be done prior to moving in. You can put drywall up after you move in. You can put in new flooring after you move in. Or maybe you need to put the subfloor down but wood/tile/carpet can wait until after you move in. Get the kitchen wired and the appliances in but put the cabinetry up after you move in. AC is a luxury (says the woman living where it is currently 64*F). Maybe you could move in and deal with the heat in alternative ways.

Prioritize those things that need doing. What can you live with. what must be done prior to moving in. You can put drywall up after you move in. You can put in new flooring after you move in. Or maybe you need to put the subfloor down but wood/tile/carpet can wait until after you move in. Get the kitchen wired and the appliances in but put the cabinetry up after you move in. AC is a luxury (says the woman living where it is currently 64*F). Maybe you could move in and deal with the heat in alternative ways.

:iagree: (and it's slated for the 90s here this weekend)

Get the things that *must* be done done. Are we talking usable plumbing and electric needs to be done, or are we talking fixtures? Is the flooring ugly, or are you walking on joists?

I would pick late entry to the market over the expense and upheaval of moving twice, though. And I would call every contractor in the book to see if anyone can do your stuff sooner. Busy season doesn't mean they don't have a project ending ahead of schedule and the next one not ready to begin.

Tons of people move in August, due to getting settled before the start of the school year. I think I'd try to list by the middle of July.

So, I'd want plumbing and electricity, and most of the flooring done. Air would be nice, as would a new kitchen, but if the old one is useable, no prob not having new--K and drywall/painting is easier to live without during a redo, imo, than plumbing...

I think you should just bite the bullet and do the rental. Put your stuff mostly in storage so you're on minimal stuff or, if you can, in the new house in a cordoned off room or the garage or something. I think it will take the stress off a great deal and leave you free to do it right.

I tied up the vote (8 to 8). I think you should find a rental and do the things to your current house that need to be done to list it. At the same time, fix the plumbing and electrical so that you can move in the new house.

Drywall, floors and even kitchen and bath can be done while you're leaving there. I would put all unnecessary stuff in the garage or storage, and complete one entire room at a time, if possible.

Good luck!

I vote for a monthly rental, too. It's not cheaper, but it is so much easier to get things done in a remodel without people underfoot. We've never done it that way, of course, but....

You mentioned your worries about the market. In almost every market there are people who move in or out, who get divorced and need another home, etc. etc....

When you put your home on the market, price is RIGHT and make sure it is beautiful inside and out. You'll find a buyer in no time! (Saying a prayer that my advice is good for your area. ;)) People who look for homes in the fall and winter are SERIOUS about buying.

Happy remodeling!

2. Try to find a monthly rental and move out so we can get our present home ready and on the market faster (early July maybe...) The downside is the extra cost and hassle of renting and moving twice. It may save us only a month but it might save us more time. I really don't know how long things are going to take.

the question to ask with this one is: how much would you pay out on rent compared to how much more you might profit (minus commission) from the sale of your house? iow: if you sell your house now, and rent, what would the net effect be to your bottom line?

The floors are plywood (and damaged at that), the kitchen is gutted completely--empty, etc. Together with my son's health issues I really think everything but maybe air (we could get a window unit for his room) have to be done before we move. My parents are in the area but my mom is a hoarder and there is no way we could move there.

the question to ask with this one is: how much would you pay out on rent compared to how much more you might profit (minus commission) from the sale of your house? iow: if you sell your house now, and rent, what would the net effect be to your bottom line?

I don't know and that's what makes this hard. I believe that missing the market this summer would have a big impact on our ability to sell at all and in the price it sells. If things would take long enough that we wouldn't be ready to list late July or even August I'm pretty sure we would be better off renting. However, if we can go quickly enough that the ready to list difference is mid-July vs. mid to late June we should probably stay put! I also don't know how expensive it's going to be to rent on a monthly basis here. I contacted a few places to see if there is any monthly availability. I'll ask a real estate agent too about market timing.

Edited by sbgrace

I voted rental. My thoughts are this: if you can sell your house and move, then you are only working on one house and can maximize your efforts. The rental is kind of like a messy hotel stay where you are not responsible. But, if you live in one house and try to prepare it for market while simulatenously trying to repair another, well, if it was my family trying to do this, neither house would get very far. By working full time on the one I want to move to, I would have a hard time maintaining the one to sell. If I maintained the one to sell, I wouldn't get the one ready to move into. We sort of did this when we moved a couple of years ago and it was very, very hard. Lots of things went undone at the new house because I was so busy trying to keep the other one clean and show worthy. It would have been so much easier, and healthier mentally LOL, if we have just moved twice. Then the one to sell could have been show ready while we worked on the other.

I voted for the rental. Consider renting a POD and packing as much as possible in it, keeping out only essentials. Then, rent a small place. This way, you're moving the big stuff only once. You could leave the POD at the new house or at the old house until it sells.