Menu

Pony Lovers...

I just got this picture in of one of our ponies (bred here, sold). We breed English show ponies, so seeing one of my "guys" out on the job and doing well is so rewarding... his owners plan to compete him toward National Pony Finals. ;)

Some of his siblings should do well too. I'm working on spring ads... being able to link to successful siblings helps with future sales so it's good to get pics in, but with this one, I just wanted to share for all the pony lovers out there.

post-9648-13535086705059_thumb.jpg

post-9648-13535086705059_thumb.jpg

Edited by creekland
Adding pic

That girl has great form so they should do very well together!

:iagree: I'm sort of secretly hoping that's what my granddaughter(s) will look like someday. I ended up with boys who didn't ever really care to ride. They only saw the ponies as work even when they had perfect ponies (to ride) for themselves. Figures, right? My sister and I were riding all the time growing up and would have killed to have lived on a pony farm. I warn my boys that the "horse" gene skips a generation...

How tall is he? What height is he jumping?

My daughter has just started jumping lessons and is loving it. She already does 4H, English, Western, Speed, Trail, etc. and lots of just for fun riding.

He's 12.1hh or maybe a tad more, but still a "small" pony competition-wise. I'm not sure how tall the fence is. We're in PA. He's in NY. He lived with us until he was 4 years of age, then got sold, trained, and... now I get updates periodically.

We often keep ours until they are 3 or 4 years of age as we're not fond of training 2 year olds. Some do sell younger, and then I have no control over when they get started, but we don't push younger sales. This year we have 3 four year olds and 2 three year olds I'm going to advertise. I'm still debating on one of the three year olds. If the four year olds don't sell they'll head into training this fall and then they'll sell from the show ring.

Fortunately, our sire tends to put nice, even knees on all of his offspring - as well as a cute head/looks and nice movement.

I LOVED riding when I was younger. With my own ponies I did 4H and games. With other people's horses I rode hunters - generally in the ring, sometimes field hunting. I rode daily - sometimes more than one horse/pony. For years I got up to train my own horse under lights BEFORE school. Ah, memories.

Now... we're working on selling down as my boys move out (no "fire sales" as we have a couple of years yet and want to sell gradually to get good homes). In a couple of years, hubby and I expect to go from living on our farm to a Class B motorhome. Life will be changing...

Since I have time, I'll attach pics of 4 of the 5 who should be "getting jobs" this year. The chestnut roan is 12.1. The silver roan is 12.3 (UGH - horrid size for the English show ring (sigh)). The bay is 14hh. The buckskin (3 year old) is 13hh. He's a full brother to the gelding in the first pic. The chestnut roan is a half brother (same sire, purebred Welsh dam). The other two are cousins (sires were half brothers). I also have a 3 year old palomino roan filly, but she's still growing and I need to wait for her to "catch up" for good pics. (Some pics are from last year. We're still updating this year's.)

post-9648-13535086706275_thumb.jpg

post-9648-13535086706623_thumb.jpg

post-9648-13535086706836_thumb.jpg

post-9648-13535086707042_thumb.jpg

It's too early to buy a pony, it's too early to buy a pony, it's....

Lovely!

I bugged and bugged and bugged my parents when I was young. My sister and I FINALLY got our first two ponies when she was 9 and I was 8. That was such a happy day in my life - and the start of a whole new segment of my life. I didn't start riding with lessons (vs on my own) until I was 11. I started training at 14 and riding other people's horses in shows then too.

It did a great job keeping me out of typical teen stuff later on. I only cared about boys if they were riding a horse - then I cared more about the horse. ;)

I suspect it only works if someone has inherited the horse gene though. I had such high hopes for my offspring... they prefer other things.

In our area we have a terrible time finding GOOD horses in that 12.2-13.2hh range. There are either little ponies or bigger horses but not much in that bigger pony range.

My daughter would LOVE one of these but we are in no way trainers. At 4'10" and 95 pounds she looks really cute on a bigger pony.

I bugged and bugged and bugged my parents when I was young. My sister and I FINALLY got our first two ponies when she was 9 and I was 8. That was such a happy day in my life - and the start of a whole new segment of my life. I didn't start riding with lessons (vs on my own) until I was 11. I started training at 14 and riding other people's horses in shows then too.

It did a great job keeping me out of typical teen stuff later on. I only cared about boys if they were riding a horse - then I cared more about the horse. ;)

I suspect it only works if someone has inherited the horse gene though. I had such high hopes for my offspring... they prefer other things.

Yes, alas....and not for lack of trying. I grew up riding and showing pony hunters, equitation, then later hunter/jumpers. Rode at The Garden in Equitation Finals when I was in high school. Catch rode for people through college, and into adult hood. Put Molly on a pony at 18 months old. She just never had the fire or passion. My wallet was happy, but the horseloving momma was not. Alas, she shows dogs, so that's okay, but yeah.....I feel your pain. :sad:

astrid

My daughter would LOVE one of these but we are in no way trainers. At 4'10" and 95 pounds she looks really cute on a bigger pony.

It can be difficult finding a good pony trainer as one needs lightweight adults (which I USED to be) or a really talented/experienced kid (which I USED to be after a few years of experience). It's never a good idea for a new rider to try to "train" a young pony (or horse). After a horse movie (Spirit, etc) we sometimes get parents wanting to buy a young pony for their dear children to grow up with. If the parents don't have decent experience, we won't sell in that situation. Horse loving kids and ponies go together, but inexperienced versions of each can hurt each other and it's not a good situation for the child or the pony. In time, the training will (likely) come though. ;) To start, always begin with a "been there, done that" trustworthy equine.

Those are gorgeous ponies. Of course I want to know why you don't drive?

Lol! I did train one pony to drive when I was young. One of my first ponies was a small Shetland and my dad gave me an ultimatum in my teen years (make him useful or sell him). I asked for a harness and cart and trained him to drive. I don't have it digitized, but I do have a pic of my dad in the cart with that pony. ;) A couple of those we've bred have been used for driving. One even went to Devon in driving competitions... but I've since lost touch with her. In general though, most end up in the English show ring. The silver roan might do better driving (due to being the wrong size for showing)... he'd look cute.

Yes, alas....and not for lack of trying. I grew up riding and showing pony hunters, equitation, then later hunter/jumpers. Rode at The Garden in Equitation Finals when I was in high school. Catch rode for people through college, and into adult hood. Put Molly on a pony at 18 months old. She just never had the fire or passion. My wallet was happy, but the horseloving momma was not. Alas, she shows dogs, so that's okay, but yeah.....I feel your pain. :sad:

astrid

:grouphug: It's definitely easier on the wallet, but in no way what I expected from my own offspring... My middle son will willingly go on trails with me, but the passion just isn't there to go out and ride on his own (with or without brothers). We only have one pony here now that rides - an 18 year old Purebred Welsh who just foaled last Sunday... I have to decide whether to rebreed or try to sell her (since we're selling down).

Where in NY is that pony? I'm in NY and hunter show ponies are big business around here!

Western NY between Syracuse and Rochester. We've sold a few to the northeast over the years (NY, MA, NH, CT). Then we have ponies in PA (of course) MD, NJ, VA, and OH that I know about. Unfortunately, I lose track of many of them, esp when they change names. Even those with Half Welsh papers don't often keep transferring papers... I love it when I get updates though, esp when they come with pics.

It can be difficult finding a good pony trainer as one needs lightweight adults (which I USED to be) or a really talented/experienced kid (which I USED to be after a few years of experience). It's never a good idea for a new rider to try to "train" a young pony (or horse). After a horse movie (Spirit, etc) we sometimes get parents wanting to buy a young pony for their dear children to grow up with. If the parents don't have decent experience, we won't sell in that situation. Horse loving kids and ponies go together, but inexperienced versions of each can hurt each other and it's not a good situation for the child or the pony. In time, the training will (likely) come though. ;) To start, always begin with a "been there, done that" trustworthy equine.

I totally agree. We do know of a few people that could train a pony that size but my girls are in no way ready to ride a green broke horse.....as cute as they might be.

That is why our "youngster" here is 20 and that is my daughter's 4H/trail 1/2 Arab gelding. We knew his previous owners from age 3-19 when we got him--just 2 owners--and he had show 4H in our group for 10 years as well. My trail horse is a registered pinto who is 21. Our POA mare is 25 or so and our Gruella QH is 30.

We could take in one of your ponies when they retire :-)

I totally agree. We do know of a few people that could train a pony that size but my girls are in no way ready to ride a green broke horse.....as cute as they might be.

That is why our "youngster" here is 20 and that is my daughter's 4H/trail 1/2 Arab gelding. We knew his previous owners from age 3-19 when we got him--just 2 owners--and he had show 4H in our group for 10 years as well. My trail horse is a registered pinto who is 21. Our POA mare is 25 or so and our Gruella QH is 30.

We could take in one of your ponies when they retire :-)

Sounds perfect!