Menu

Do you have a vegetable steamer?

My neighbor has one and loves it! I've never thought about it before, but I like what I saw because I despise my top of the stove steamer.

I keep reading but they're either not BPA free or one says it gets moldy.

Ack....If you have one and like it, what is it?

Um, no. Well, I have some sort of metal bowl thing with holes in the bottom that came with a cookware set a hundred years ago. That is, allegedly, for steaming.

We had a 3-tier bamboo steamer from my favorite household store in Chinatown (DC). I loved that one... Maybe I should get a new one.

Um, no. Well, I have some sort of metal bowl thing with holes in the bottom that came with a cookware set a hundred years ago. That is, allegedly, for steaming.

We had a 3-tier bamboo steamer from my favorite household store in Chinatown (DC). I loved that one... Maybe I should get a new one.

I have that metal bowl thingy too. :thumbdown:

I have a very nice 2 Quart stainless steel Revere ware vegetable steamer that I just love.

I purchased it on Amazon.com for about $ 14.00. I love that it is stainless steel and so easy to clean and no BPA involved.

Here is a link to my pot:

http://www.amazon.com/Revere-3500839-2-Quart-Stick-Handle-Steamer/dp/B0000CFLSK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337471687&sr=8-1-fkmr1

I have one and I love it. I got it for my wedding. It's plastic, so it doesn't mold. I don't know about the other stuff, but it's worked great for us.

What is it?

I have a stovetop steamer and one of those basket thingys that sit in a pot. Hate them both. I was looking at a separate appliance that you can put potatoes perhaps on the bottom and veggies on top.

I have two Tupperware ones I picked up when I was selling Tupperware. They both work great and clean easily, but I doubt they are BPA free. They also don't ever get used as I just prefer raw veggies. But, like I said, they work wonderfully when they are occasionally used. :D

I have had an Oster electric steamer for years that I love, but I doubt it is BPA-free. FWIW, however, my mom has a good friend who is a neonatologist and head of a NICU. He told my mom that he has examined all the research about BPA because they use so much plastic in the NICU and the babies are so fragile. He came to the conclusion that the concerns over BPA are more hype than reality.

I have a steamer somewhere (the sort that fits in a pan on the stovetop) but almost never steam anything. At my local giant Chinese store, they have bamboo steamers that look intriguing, but I haven't bought a set because I'm not much into steaming. But that's an idea.

I have what is technically a rice cooker, but it has a steamer basket that sets in the top. You just plug it in, put a couple inches of water in the bottom, fill the basket with veggies, put the cover on, and I have perfectly steamed veggies every time.

It cooks rice well too, but I don't use it so often for that.

I would never steam in plastic (yuck!), and those little folding baskets that go in a regular saucepan are sooo annoying, plus they rarely keep the veggies up out of the water sufficiently.

We had a flimsy in the pot metal one we hated. Once it finally "died", we bought a similar one by OXO (metal, in the pot) that I actually really like and use often.

I have this one and I use it.

We have one and use it regularly. It's plastic, and about 17 years old, so I have no idea about BPA.

It's a Black and Decker and we use it for asparagus, green beans, brussels sprouts, and rice mostly. I have no idea if it would do potatoes, though.

I'm not sure what the mold issue is that everyone is talking about. :confused:

I forgot . . .I also have a stainless one. It came with my pots and pans, looks almost li,e one of the pots, and nests in a pot using the same sized lid. No BPA worries there, but I do usethe plastic one more.

Ha! I have one of those too but forgot all about it!

What is it?

I have a stovetop steamer and one of those basket thingys that sit in a pot. Hate them both. I was looking at a separate appliance that you can put potatoes perhaps on the bottom and veggies on top.

It's a black & decker flavor steamer. It's a separate appliance with a timer. I love it. It's one of the few "gadgets" I have left from my wedding that I use a lot and love.

I have two. One's about right for doing 8 potatoes and the other I use when I have a big crowd. They're both stainless. I couldn't figure out what you all meant by mold...not fit in the pot? Finally figured out that you meant that mold would grow. Nothing grows here--too dry.

About the mold. I guess according to the reviews, there was a hole where the steam came out of the bottom portion but it wasn't just a hole. It was something that never dried out, because you couldn't get to it to wash and dry it.

I have had an Oster electric steamer for years that I love, but I doubt it is BPA-free. FWIW, however, my mom has a good friend who is a neonatologist and head of a NICU. He told my mom that he has examined all the research about BPA because they use so much plastic in the NICU and the babies are so fragile. He came to the conclusion that the concerns over BPA are more hype than reality.

That's encouraging. They usually are more hype. But it was a concern on a lot of reviews.

I have what is technically a rice cooker, but it has a steamer basket that sets in the top. You just plug it in, put a couple inches of water in the bottom, fill the basket with veggies, put the cover on, and I have perfectly steamed veggies every time.

It cooks rice well too, but I don't use it so often for that.

I would never steam in plastic (yuck!), and those little folding baskets that go in a regular saucepan are sooo annoying, plus they rarely keep the veggies up out of the water sufficiently.

I agree with that metal fold up. Yuck. I saw these rice cooker/veggie steamers and wondered if they were okay. I may go this route. We hardly ever eat rice. The one my friend has she can throw stuff in there and just walk away from it. Can't do that with stove top ones.

It's a black & decker flavor steamer. It's a separate appliance with a timer. I love it. It's one of the few "gadgets" I have left from my wedding that I use a lot and love.

According to the reviews TONS of people liked their old Black and Decker but have found nothing as good to replace it. :(