Menu

Care to share your favorite hummus recipe?

Dh likes hummus. By which I mean, dh has eaten hummus before that he likes; he's, uh, 'selective' in his eating. :D

So I was at the middleastern grocery store the other day, and got some fresh made hummus. Dh didn't like it. He said, and I quote, "This hummus tastes like B.O. (body odor)." :001_huh:

Now, I'm not a hummus fan, so I can't taste it and go 'Oh, that's good', or 'Yep, that's the stinky b.o. hummus', lol.

So any idea what they put in the hummus that made dh react like that? It'll give me an idea what to *avoid* in a recipe.

I also see there's about a zillion ways to make hummus. I mean, pretty much all of the recipes call for chick peas and olive oil. But other than that, there's a million varieties. What are your favorites?

But remember, nothing that tastes like b.o. :lol: (Dh is funny. The hummus smelled fine to me.)

Your husband may not care for raw garlic. Try roasting it, using powder, or skipping it. They could also be using more tahini than he's used to, so you can cut back on that a bit. Let him smell the tahini and see if he thinks that's the BO flavor.

Here's my favorite recipe. It's super cheap because the tahini you buy will make a LOT of hummus. If you have a pressure cooker you can make it much faster.

Hummus Recipe

2 cups dried chickpeas (I cook the whole bag)

6 cups water

3 ½ teaspoons salt (divided)

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 ½ tablespoons chopped garlic

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

¼ cup tahini

1-2 tablespoons ground cumin

pinch of cayenne (optional)

Wash the chickpeas, soak overnight, and cook in the water until tender (about 90 minutes)

Add 3 teaspoons of salt and cook 20-30 minutes more. *When they are VERY soft, drain and reserve the cooking water. *Let chickpeas cool.

In a food processor, blender, or with a potato masher, combined cooled chickpeas with a cup of the cooking water, remaining salt, and remaining ingredients. *Blend or mash until smooth. *Adjust seasonings to taste.

That’s the base recipe. *I usually end up adding a bit more cumin and tahini (and salt, and cayenne . . . .) *I also reserve some of the chickpeas and mix them in at the end because I like the texture. *A blender will give you the smoothest hummus, but plan to add a bit more water.

If you want to do smaller recipes, cut the recipe in half or thirds and freeze the remaining chickpeas . . . or freeze the hummus.

Dh likes hummus. By which I mean, dh has eaten hummus before that he likes; he's, uh, 'selective' in his eating. :D

So I was at the middleastern grocery store the other day, and got some fresh made hummus. Dh didn't like it. He said, and I quote, "This hummus tastes like B.O. (body odor)." :001_huh:

Now, I'm not a hummus fan, so I can't taste it and go 'Oh, that's good', or 'Yep, that's the stinky b.o. hummus', lol.

So any idea what they put in the hummus that made dh react like that? It'll give me an idea what to *avoid* in a recipe.

I also see there's about a zillion ways to make hummus. I mean, pretty much all of the recipes call for chick peas and olive oil. But other than that, there's a million varieties. What are your favorites?

But remember, nothing that tastes like b.o. :lol: (Dh is funny. The hummus smelled fine to me.)

Maybe it had cumin in it.

Ok, maybe it's safest to have your DH taste/smell every ingredient before you use it. Cumin does have a distinctive smoky-earthiness that I guess not everyone loves. Also, a middle eastern store may have used loads of fresh parsley in their hummus. Maybe your DH isn't accustomed to raw, fresh parsley? So maybe start with the pureed check peas and only add what he likes.

I once threw loads of cilantro into hummus for a St Patrick's Day party. I have a friend who begs for it because that's her favorite type of hummus now and it's not a flavor you see in the store.

My priest made this one during lent, and it was absolutely delish--maybe you can try it? Below are Father's instructions to me:

Here's how I make it:

Drain two 15 oz. (or one 29 oz.) cans of cooked garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid

(or cook some beans yourself if you prefer)

Dump the beans into a food processor, then add:

some peeled cloves of garlic, however many you like (I used probably about six medium ones yesterday)

the juice of a lovely lemon (or a glug of bottled lemon juice if you don't happen to have a fresh one about)

some salt (maybe a teaspoonful? I just dump some onto my palm until it looks right.)

six tablespoons of tahini

Start to whir it. Add some reserved juice, a little at a time, until the consistency is right and it all starts to become* homogenous. (You won't have to add a whole lot of liquid, so be careful.) Be sure to whir it long enough to chew up all the garlic and to reduce everything to smooth, creamy goodness. Its consistency should be something along the line of whipped potatoes or cake frosting.

Transfer it to a serving bowl and level the top. (The traditional way to serve hummos is to spread it out on a plate, but I've found that putting it into a bowl is handier.) If it's an oil day, you can drizzle some nice olive oil on top. I sprinkle on some pine nuts if I have them. You can sprinkle on some paprika for color.

This will give you a starting place. As you get a feeling for how it comes together, you can adjust the proportions to your taste.

It just occurred to me that it might be interesting to try making it with lime juice.

Well, Spycar will say that none of these are really hummus, but just chickpea dip. I've gotten rave reviews for my taco flavored hummus. I don't really measure, but here you go:

1 can chickpeas, drained and reserve juice. Blend in food processor until smooth, adding in reserved juice as needed. I might add a tsp or 2 of olive oil, and then I add my favorite taco seasoning- start w/ about 2 tsp and add to taste. I think I probably add about a TBS, and maybe a bit more.

What brand does he like? Then maybe we can help you with the flavor profile.

Sabra (or any Jewish/Israeli) brand is very tahini based and are pureed very fine. The other national brands (Tribe, Athens) don't seem to have much tahini and they are chunkier...

My priest made this one during lent, and it was absolutely delish--maybe you can try it? Below are Father's instructions to me:

Here's how I make it:

Drain two 15 oz. (or one 29 oz.) cans of cooked garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid

(or cook some beans yourself if you prefer)

Dump the beans into a food processor, then add:

some peeled cloves of garlic, however many you like (I used probably about six medium ones yesterday)

the juice of a lovely lemon (or a glug of bottled lemon juice if you don't happen to have a fresh one about)

some salt (maybe a teaspoonful? I just dump some onto my palm until it looks right.)

six tablespoons of tahini

Start to whir it. Add some reserved juice, a little at a time, until the consistency is right and it all starts to become* homogenous. (You won't have to add a whole lot of liquid, so be careful.) Be sure to whir it long enough to chew up all the garlic and to reduce everything to smooth, creamy goodness. Its consistency should be something along the line of whipped potatoes or cake frosting.

Transfer it to a serving bowl and level the top. (The traditional way to serve hummos is to spread it out on a plate, but I've found that putting it into a bowl is handier.) If it's an oil day, you can drizzle some nice olive oil on top. I sprinkle on some pine nuts if I have them. You can sprinkle on some paprika for color.

This will give you a starting place. As you get a feeling for how it comes together, you can adjust the proportions to your taste.

It just occurred to me that it might be interesting to try making it with lime juice.

Mine is very similar to this recipe except I add olive oil to the mix while it's blending and then add the bean water. I find that the oil makes it creamier. I bet it was the cumin that he tasted. I think cumin tastes/smells a little like B.O.:D

Loverboy makes hummus in my food processor without a recipe. He just adds what looks right, and does a lot of taste tests. His hummus is AWESOME!!!

Recipe:

a couple of cloves of garlic

chickpeas (canned or cooked; rinsed)

olive oil

lemon juice

salt to taste

The favorite flavors in our house include adding:

--ranch powder, to taste (add salt AFTER adding ranch because ranch is very salty)

--curry (same thing about the salt)

We serve this to our kids with pretzel sticks.

Also, a middle eastern store may have used loads of fresh parsley in their hummus.

A health food store, maybe. But no Middle Eastern store I've ever seen puts parsley in any quantity in hummus.

I think hummus goes bad quickly. When it does it's almost carbonated. Make sure that's not it.

What brand does he like? Then maybe we can help you with the flavor profile.

Sabra (or any Jewish/Israeli) brand is very tahini based and are pureed very fine. The other national brands (Tribe, Athens) don't seem to have much tahini and they are chunkier...

Personally I am not a fan of Sabra or other similar Israeli-style hummus. They use way too much tahini for my taste and the ultra-processed texture is not traditional (and not good). They taste almost like they are made with mayonnaise (even though they are not). Unicorn had it right, these are "bean dip," not hummus.

Bill (traditionalist :D)

Mine is very similar to this recipe except I add olive oil to the mix while it's blending and then add the bean water. I find that the oil makes it creamier. I bet it was the cumin that he tasted. I think cumin tastes/smells a little like B.O.:D

My trick: dry fry/toast the cumin in an ungreased cast iron skillet on medium, stir often and pour out of the pan when toasted (it takes a little time and then goes FAST). This can be crushed easily with the back of a spoon. This makes hummus fabulous, and it does a bang up job on mango curry, as well. :)

Other than that, I just use tahini, chick peas, water, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice, making sure everything is fresh (tahini can get old, bottled lemon juice is nasty). I spread out in a shallow bowl, drizzle a little good olive oil and garnish with cuck slices, a few springs of Italian parsley, and some greek olives. YUM.

Personally I am not a fan of Sabra or other similar Israeli-style hummus. They use way too much tahini for my taste and the ultra-processed texture is not traditional (and not good). They taste almost like they are made with mayonnaise (even though they are not). Unicorn had it right, these are "bean dip," not hummus.

Bill (traditionalist :D)

Oh, Bill. Here we do depart. :lol:

Israeli style is the only kind I wish to eat (and make). People beg me to make and bring hummus to them if we are guests. LOTS of tahina, very pureed (5 or more minutes in the food processor). If you are REALLY picky, you take the skins off each chickpea!:tongue_smilie:

Israeli style is the only kind I wish to eat (and make). People beg me to make and bring hummus to them if we are guests. LOTS of tahina, very pureed (5 or more minutes in the food processor). If you are REALLY picky, you take the skins off each chickpea!:tongue_smilie:

Oh course I'm picky. The skins must be removed. I have given the out the secret for how to do that most efficiently in previous threads.

At the risk of igniting an Arab-Israeli conflict (I wonder if this is the root cause? :tongue_smilie:) one side makes better hummus ;) :D

Abu William

A health food store, maybe. But no Middle Eastern store I've ever seen puts parsley in any quantity in hummus.

I think hummus goes bad quickly. When it does it's almost carbonated. Make sure that's not it.

OK, "loads" is an exageration, but when your experience with parsley is limited to garnish it could get pegged as an 'odd' flavor.

I find that homemade hummus lasts about a week. That's long enough to polish it off in my house.

As serious as I am about hummus, I REFUSE to remove the skins. I've eaten it that way and it IS amazing, but this is where I draw the line. I make a big enough mess that I'm not adding a strainer to the pile.

Um Yewsef

Edited by KungFuPanda