Menu

Help me choose a different standardized test (required by state)

We have used the Cat-Survey from Seton. It is $25 and takes a few hours to do. My children get super high percentiles, but it is very easy. I like that it is so stress free for them.

Help me pick something that is comparable as far as cost and time, but more accurate as far as percentiles?

Thanks!!!

I'm having my older kids take the Stanford 10 test through Classical Conversations. I just checked the website, and you are right - too late for group testing.

BUT, they have an online option and registration is open through May 7. Here is the link:

http://www.cctestingservices.com/component/events/?task=view_detail&agid=317&year=2012&month=05&day=14

The price is more than what you've been paying, but I think it's reasonable since it's a longer proctored test and will result in more useful info. (I'm still using the $25 test CAT from Seton for my youngest!)

I really like the ITBS. Easy to give, gives pretty good info--nice to compare from year to year. I get it thru BJU. You have to sign up to be a tester to test your own kiddos, but I just send in the form with a digital pic (attachment) of my degree and I'm all set.

we use the Terra Nova test...

" a more recently published test series than the now-discontinued CAT/5. The TerraNova, first published in 1996, was renormed in 2005. "

"We offer the Complete Battery for Kindergarten (Level 10), the Complete Battery Plus for Grade 1 through Grade 12, and the Survey Plus for Grades 2 through 12. These are the most complete, extensive and up-to-date tests available for unrestricted homeschool use."

You can probably purchase the test elsewhere but we go through Bayside.

If desired, there are some practice tests here, though I've not looked at them myself.

I really like the ITBS. Easy to give, gives pretty good info--nice to compare from year to year. I get it thru BJU. You have to sign up to be a tester to test your own kiddos, but I just send in the form with a digital pic (attachment) of my degree and I'm all set.

:iagree: That's what we'll be using for this year. We used the CAT last year (I wanted a nice, gentle intro to standardized testing) but I want something more rigorous and revealing (to me) for this year. I just need to find my college degree.....wonder where I put that thing.....:tongue_smilie:

We have used the Cat-Survey from Seton. It is $25 and takes a few hours to do. My children get super high percentiles, but it is very easy. I like that it is so stress free for them.

Help me pick something that is comparable as far as cost and time, but more accurate as far as percentiles?

Thanks!!!

BJU has the Iowa Tests that I'm planning to use this year. I like that I'll be able to pick pre or post for each grade level. Some of my kids begin a new grade in January and others are finishing a grade.

We've done the CAT from Seton too for the past 3 years. I think my kids have a better feel for tests too. CAT was good exposure to testing. I think the Iowa Tests will give me the information I'm looking for too.

I just co-ordinated testing for our Co-op. We used SAT through last year and switched this year to the TerraNova. Everyone agreed the Terra Nova was far easier than the SAT.

I think the SAT is a better judge of scholastic achievement, and a more rigorous test.

We will be testing next year for the first time. What is the SAT? Are you referring to the college board admission test??? The original poster's kids were much younger than college age.

The CAT/5 survey version is short and easy. The CAT/5 complete battery is longer and somewhat more thorough if you would be interested in switching to that. It usually costs a litte more, too.

I do the CAT/5 for 1st and 2nd grades, and then I switch to ITBS for 3rd grade and higher because I think it is longer and more comprehensive.

If you want more comprehensive, then you are going to have to give a test which takes longer and likely costs more. However, I think it is worth it if you are looking for something more accurate in order to evaluate your children's progress.

Don't know if anyone has said this or not, but rigor of questions is not important in a standardized test that has been normed. A "hard" test and an "easy" test can both give the same results if they've been properly normed.

Don't know if anyone has said this or not, but rigor of questions is not important in a standardized test that has been normed. A "hard" test and an "easy" test can both give the same results if they've been properly normed.

I disagree. A test with higher level, more difficult questions will differentiate students more than an "easy" test.

For example, if I give my child an easy grade level test in which most of the students get close to 100% of the answers correct, then I will not know much information other than that my child meets basic grade level goals. However, if I give my child a more difficult test with higher level questions in which most students are missing at least some of the questions, then I will know more accurately how my child measures against the averages.

I disagree. A test with higher level, more difficult questions will differentiate students more than an "easy" test.

For example, if I give my child an easy grade level test in which most of the students get close to 100% of the answers correct, then I will not know much information other than that my child meets basic grade level goals. However, if I give my child a more difficult test with higher level questions in which most students are missing at least some of the questions, then I will know more accurately how my child measures against the averages.

While this sounds true, it is not true with how tests are normed. Most of the population falls between two standard deviations above and below the mean. So questions should mostly fall into that zone and because that zone is so large the questions can be over a broad range of hard to easy and still be accurate.

It is true that a harder test might do slightly better at differentiating in those who are above the second standard deviation above the mean but I doubt that the added level of differentiation would be great because of the overall lower levels of students that are part of this group when the test was normed.

I also have doubts about whether any test that is normed for the mean will truly have results that are statistically significant once you leave those two standard deviations. AND if we are talking about three or more standard deviations then it is unlikely that any basic standardized test will be able to offer statistically significant separation of students at that level (either high or low). It's just not what the test is designed to do. It would be like trying to hammer in a finish nail with a sledge hammer.

There are test designed to do that kind of separation at both the high and low ends, but they are designed and normed on those populations not the whole population (which standardized tests are normed on).

FWIW, I had my eldest test with both CAT and SAT10 last year, about 8 weeks apart.

The SAT10 did have a more granular breakdown of categories than the CAT But his percentages were within about 1-2 points on the high end. In other words, he had 98% on one test and 96% on the other.

There were two subcategories where he did much better on one test than the other (one category for each test). But it also looks like this was a matter of a difference of about 2 questions.

The testing coordinator for our group also used CAT and SAT10 one year to see how they compared and had similar results.

If the OP thinks that testing isn't demonstrating her kids' actual ability, then maybe it is worth testing at a higher grade level (for informational purposes, rather than state proof of progress), using a test with a higher upper end (I think Woodcock Johnson does this - though I believe it's quite a bit pricier), or looking into gifted talent searches, which might provide access to other tests.

There are times when you have to separate in your mind if you're using a test to satisfy state authorities (which might need a basic get it done battery) or to really probe the ability of the kids (which might require a more extensive and expensive set of tests).

Bayside School Services sells the CTBS/Terra Nova, which was renormed in 2005. The CAT/5 is being discontinued by the publisher (companies like Seton will still use the older CAT). There are no requirements for the test administrator to have a degree (which is the case with the SAT and the ITBS).

FWIW, I had my eldest test with both CAT and SAT10 last year, about 8 weeks apart.

The SAT10 did have a more granular breakdown of categories than the CAT But his percentages were within about 1-2 points on the high end. In other words, he had 98% on one test and 96% on the other.

There were two subcategories where he did much better on one test than the other (one category for each test). But it also looks like this was a matter of a difference of about 2 questions.

The testing coordinator for our group also used CAT and SAT10 one year to see how they compared and had similar results.

:iagree: This is what I mean about not being statistically significant in being able to filter out small difference at the ends of the population.

These small variations can also be impacted by things like lack of sleep, distractions in the testing conditions, even mood. So they don't mean much.

If the OP thinks that testing isn't demonstrating her kids' actual ability, then maybe it is worth testing at a higher grade level (for informational purposes, rather than state proof of progress), using a test with a higher upper end (I think Woodcock Johnson does this - though I believe it's quite a bit pricier), or looking into gifted talent searches, which might provide access to other tests.

There are times when you have to separate in your mind if you're using a test to satisfy state authorities (which might need a basic get it done battery) or to really probe the ability of the kids (which might require a more extensive and expensive set of tests).

I agree and I will go further to say that sometimes tests can pick up a flavor based on how the initial questions were chosen in the first place. So some students will do well on one test but not another not because one test has harder questions but it just doesn't suit the student. So for college admissions, you will see folks suggest trying both the SAT and ACT for this reason.

There are also, I believe, specialized tests that sort students for giftedness. Whether those tests are easily available to home schoolers I don't know.

I'm less sure about Woodcock. I believe what it does is stop when a student can't answer so many questions in a row. It is very popular around here, but I mostly hear super positives with folks who have children who would test on the lower end of a population. I've had a friend who was the person who did testing at a PS say she really didn't get enough information from the Woodcock. But I have no solid knowledge about it one way or the other. I'd want to know how it was normed and if there is an ability to separate at the upper end before I spent more $ on it.

I don't think Bayside has the ITBS...:confused:

Where we purchase the ITBS, proof of a degree is req.

Different states have different req. (some have none) too. Here we have to use specific tests (full battery) that are normed on specific dates. The Seton CAT does not meet our state req.

The ITBS does give more detailed test results. (My students have used the CAT and ITBS.)

Bayside School Services sells the CTBS/Terra Nova, which was renormed in 2005. The CAT/5 is being discontinued by the publisher (companies like Seton will still use the older CAT). There are no requirements for the test administrator to have a degree (which is the case with the SAT and the ITBS).

Thanks!!!

I don't think you are going to find anything comparable with time or money. The Survey test is just that, a survey that is not in depth. I have never seen another test quite like it. Honestly, I didn't find it to be all that reliable. Like you said, it is very easy. What I think it does is tell you if there is a huge, gaping problem as far as working on grade level. If you want a more accurate test, you are going to need to switch to a full battery test. Ignore everything but the grammar, reading, and math portions if you want. The science and social studies portions tend to depend on what you have covered in the last year.

I don't think you are going to find anything comparable with time or money. The Survey test is just that, a survey that is not in depth. I have never seen another test quite like it. Honestly, I didn't find it to be all that reliable. Like you said, it is very easy. What I think it does is tell you if there is a huge, gaping problem as far as working on grade level. If you want a more accurate test, you are going to need to switch to a full battery test. Ignore everything but the grammar, reading, and math portions if you want. The science and social studies portions tend to depend on what you have covered in the last year.

:iagree: The only reasons I would use the CAT/5 survey version are to satisfy a state requirement or to give my kids an easy test to build confidence.

For more accurate results, I use the ITBS full battery. The cost is a little higher than the CAT/5 survey, and it takes me five mornings to administer (though the directions say giving it over six or seven days is optimal). However, if you want to find out more about your children's strengths and weaknesses, you are going to have to invest more.

I think I'll continue with Cat survey one more year. Next year, in the spring of 8th grade, my daughter will test with something else to qualify for homeschool national honor society. But, through 7th Cat survey is sooo easy to order, give, take. We're all so ready to be done, it is hard to pass up easy.

Edited by LNC