Menu

Blood types?

That - can hide in a woodpile pretty well. However, your brother and his wife might want to talk...he cannot be the father of the AB child... in fact, she can't be the mother of the O children! A mix of O and AB (ignoring the rh factor) can produce possible children with A or B bloodtypes. They would be AO, or BO.

If you really want to know, you might want to research it a bit more. If you don't want to stir the pot, don't look it up.

According to NEW research...this is no longer true.

Most likely is that there was a typing mistake by the lab (not true for me...between me and my dad, we've both been typed multiple times due to both of us giving blood.

Assuming my dad is my dad, and my mom is my mom... there is a 1 in a million chance my dad has a Bombay Phenotype which types as O, but isn't really anything...which would suck for my dad, because he could only receive blood from another Bombay Phenotype...the other possibility is that I am a chimera...which would actually explain a LOT about me.

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=115

I've always felt that it was important to know my kids' blood types for emergency purposes. I have all of them... somewhere around here! When I realized I couldn't keep them straight under normal circumstances, I figured my recall would be useless in an emergency.

That still doesn't explain why I haven't jotted them down in my wallet or on my phone or something equally handy... :001_huh:

I'm B+, and dh is A+... I think!

Just to calm any worries to those reading this...In an emergency/trauma situation, you or your dc would be given O negative blood, which is why it is called the universal donor. No hospital will give blood based on what you say. :001_smile:

I am Rh negative, so I was given a Rho-gam shot, and then the dc were tested at birth to determine whether I would need a second shot. My dc are both Rh positive, as is dh, so I had to have a second shot each time.

Oh, well, there is a memory brought back. I did have to have the second shot so apparently whatever she is, dd is Rh +.

I paid close attention to all my kids blood types because of Rh incompatibility. The nurse in the hospital told me the wrong blood type for one of my ds's, and I spent years trying to figure out how it was genitically possible for him to be B+. Finally I asked his pediatrician. She opened up his chart, and told me he was actually A+.

Ask your pediatrician. They have it written down. :001_smile:

According to NEW research...this is no longer true.

Most likely is that there was a typing mistake by the lab (not true for me...between me and my dad, we've both been typed multiple times due to both of us giving blood.

Assuming my dad is my dad, and my mom is my mom... there is a 1 in a million chance my dad has a Bombay Phenotype which types as O, but isn't really anything...which would suck for my dad, because he could only receive blood from another Bombay Phenotype...the other possibility is that I am a chimera...which would actually explain a LOT about me.

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=115

Very cool. Love to learn new things! If I were your dad and knew this information, I would certainly have gone to find out!!! That would be extremely important to know.

Can blood type change over time?

My hospital here tested all of our children at birth (since I am A-), and they were all said to be A+. Now my high school senior just gave blood and was told that she is AB+.

I've never found anything indicating blood types can change over time, but have heard typing errors occur. The first time I came back as AB+, they assumed typing errors (school project), however I have been typed at least 8 different times since then and it's always been AB+

I have no idea if they typed me as an infant...although if they did, I'm surprised no one said anything to my parents, as my dad is O and my mom B+

Can blood type change over time?

My hospital here tested all of our children at birth (since I am A-), and they were all said to be A+. Now my high school senior just gave blood and was told that she is AB+.

I was tested twice as a child and my Mom was told I was O+. With all 3 pregnancis and when they typed me for surgery a few months ago I came up A+. Odd but since my Mom us A I'm not worried about it :001_smile:

My brother is 0+ and his wife is AB+ Their dds have 0+, 0- and AB+ blood types!

My DH is O+ and I'm O-

Our 3 dds are all O+

My parents are/were O+ and all of my grandparents were O+

I had a college Biology instructor tell me that either my mother had an affair or I was adopted :001_huh:

:lol:

My dh and I are both O+ (we are both blood doners so that is how we know) and the girls are also O+ but the boy is O-. We were told after their birth so their blood must have been typed in the delivery room. I am glad no one said that to me about our son! :tongue_smilie:

As the internet allows more and more information to be shared, things that were once "shrugged off" as typing errors, or impossibilities will probably be found to have a basis in science...

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that science is simply our best "guess" at that point in time. It's ever changing based upon the data we have, and the equipment we have at the time.

Anecdotal "evidence" is everywhere...I simply think we haven't figured out how to study the issue to learn why weird things are happening. 20+ years ago, people just assumed mistakes had been made. But, to think those kinds of mistakes are happening repeatedly to the same person(s) over a period of time in different places has me :confused:.

I mean, what are the odds that a woman fails a blood-pregnancy test on a Friday and passes a urine pregnancy test on a Monday (the first day of her missed period?) I get that tests are wrong... but either we're getting worse at completing basic tests, or there are other biological things happening within the body we simply do not understand, and have not been in a place to understand them before.

My dad is O+, my mom is B+, I'm AB+. I have been told multiple times that I can't be my dad's. He gives blood regularly...has been in the hospital...always O+. I've never heard this before, and it has never shown up in any research I've done.

This is what I found...the chart is at the bottom of the link that shows the outcomes with each parent...

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-types

I just saw another link up in the posts with another link...it is very interesting!!

Edited by mchel210

Just to calm any worries to those reading this...In an emergency/trauma situation, you or your dc would be given O negative blood, which is why it is called the universal donor. No hospital will give blood based on what you say. :001_smile:

Yep, dr. policy is to never trust the patient info on this matter. If they have time they will type otherwise they use O-.

I know three out of four children's blood types. I'm making an educated guess on the fourth's, and on DH's. I was typed during my first pregnancy, possibly my second too. My older three were typed by the midwife when their post-birth checkups were done, but the MW was out of the little cards when she did my fourth baby's checkup. You can order the cards for about $15 each, I think. I just haven't bothered because I'm O+, and so are my first three children, so I think it's pretty likely that DH and baby number four are also O+. (Yes, they could be A or B.) Or maybe we do know that DH is O+; I can't remember.