Menu

I want to scream! (Holes in shirts again)

A couple of months ago, I bought myself three new shirts. These cost more money than I usually spend. One of them was a cotton t-shirt, but for once, it wasn't a plain, solid color. I really liked it; it was colorful and had tabs gathering the sides at the seams a little bit.

I've been very careful with my new shirts. I almost always wear an apron while cooking and doing the dishes to keep them from getting stained. I've washed them separately in cold water and hung them on backs of chairs to dry.

I went to wear the t-shirt one this morning and it has 4 holes in the belly area.

I'm seriously considering giving up all cotton shirts. Cotton is the only material I really like but this is ridiculous.

So, any ideas of what I can wear that isn't cotton and fits a size 16 woman with large books and texture/sensitivity issues? Pictures/links appreciated; I don't know fashion enough to know what this kind of neckline or that kind of cut means.

I've never seen a moth. If we have moths, they only eat women's clothing and leave the men's, women's and children's clothing alone. They also eat only the belly area of the shirts, never any other part of the shirt.

I know many other women have the same problem. And this problem didn't exist before a few years ago. I've worn almost exclusively cotton t-shirts for many years; this is a newer problem. Older t-shirts take years to develop holes and they develop in random places. Newer t-shirts develop holes within days or a few months of buying and they only appear in the belly area.

Hanna Andersson T-shirts for women last much longer than other tees in my opinion.

Target used to carry the Cherokee brand of tees that were thicker and they last FOREVER. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find them for the last several years, now all they have are those super thin tees.

I tried Eddie Bauer and I don't think they hold their shape well and they look cheap around the neck.

Lands' End tees are okay.

I've never seen a moth. If we have moths, they only eat women's clothing and leave the men's, women's and children's clothing alone. They also eat only the belly area of the shirts, never any other part of the shirt.

I know many other women have the same problem. And this problem didn't exist before a few years ago. I've worn almost exclusively cotton t-shirts for many years; this is a newer problem. Older t-shirts take years to develop holes and they develop in random places. Newer t-shirts develop holes within days or a few months of buying and they only appear in the belly area.

Yes! I was just talking about this yesterday. This only happens to me in our house. It's very frustrating and I don't know where they come from.

Do you use a prewash spray in that area on your shirts?

No, I don't use prewash spray at all.

Is your stove/sink/washing machine rough as you are working there?

No, I wear a full length apron while cooking and doing the dishes. I have a front loader washing machine so my shirt doesn't come in contact. There are no rough areas in my washer.

How about your table edge?

I don't normally lean my belly up against the table, and if I did, the area of the holes is no where near where my body would touch the table.

We've had conversations on this forum about these holes before, and no one seems to be able to determine a cause.

This same thing happens to every.one.of.my.shirts!!! I shop almost exclusively at Loft so I thought it maybe it was something with their products, although it really only started in the last year or so. I'm pretty certain we don't have any moths, and no one else in the family is having this problem. It's so annoying. It's not my laundry spray, or my table, but I suppose it's possible it could be my sink? I think the counter hits my stomach a few inches above the belly button area though. Will have to check. In the meantime, :bigear:.

I have the same problem. I've always assumed the holes arise because I'm always tugging down the front of my shirt, trying to get it to cover my belly better, and that strains the fabric in that part. Dh and dd don't care if their tummies hang out, so they don't have that problem. :tongue_smilie:

A couple of months ago, I bought myself three new shirts. These cost more money than I usually spend. One of them was a cotton t-shirt, but for once, it wasn't a plain, solid color. I really liked it; it was colorful and had tabs gathering the sides at the seams a little bit.

I've been very careful with my new shirts. I almost always wear an apron while cooking and doing the dishes to keep them from getting stained. I've washed them separately in cold water and hung them on backs of chairs to dry.

I went to wear the t-shirt one this morning and it has 4 holes in the belly area.

I'm seriously considering giving up all cotton shirts. Cotton is the only material I really like but this is ridiculous.

So, any ideas of what I can wear that isn't cotton and fits a size 16 woman with large books and texture/sensitivity issues? Pictures/links appreciated; I don't know fashion enough to know what this kind of neckline or that kind of cut means.

I don't know where you are buying them, but I've not had this problem and some of my stuff is 20 years old!

I have good luck with Target T shirts. And a few better stores, clearance price only, of course. Some cheap thin stuff does not hold out.

I discovered that my top loader washer was causing the holes in my shirts. Shirts would go in without holes and come out with holes. I don't know how it happened, but the problem went away when we got our front loader.

Yeah, this might be it for the OP. I have a front washer and don't have that problem. Any rough surface in the washer?

I discovered that my top loader washer was causing the holes in my shirts. Shirts would go in without holes and come out with holes. I don't know how it happened, but the problem went away when we got our front loader.

My sister gets the holes; she has a front loader.

I don't, I have a top loader.

I don't think the washer *causes* the holes (because then why would they be only in one area?) rather I think the holes are discovered during folding. OR, perhaps, the holes are caused by something chemical (bleaching while cleaning?) and the fabric kind of rots then is washed away in the laundry cycle, so the holes appear post-washing but are actually caused by some prior contact with some kind of chemical.

If you figure it out, let me know. :glare:

I have two shirts which are 94% cotton 6% spandex, and I was hoping that would solve the problem... Nope. One of them has about 8 little holes at the belly area.

The last 6 months or so I've been wearing men's v neck tshirts from target when I'm around the house. I think they're Mossimo brand. They have pretty colors, so I don't feel too much like a man. I have teal, light lavender, light orange, and blue. I'm a size 12ish with bigish bOOks and a bit of a tummy, and the mediums fit me pretty well. They actually look somewhat fitted/not sloppy. They've held up pretty well when I can manage not to spill things on them. :D

My SIL and I were talking about this the other day. It doesn't happen to our husbands, or in my case the kids clothes either. SIL and I both wear jeans quite frequently, and our theory is that with cotton t-shirts having gotten thinner over the past few years, they rub up against the rough overlap of where the jeans button, causing holes only in the belly area. This is compounded from the friction of standing at the counter cooking and washing dishes, in the car when the seatbelt rubs across your midsection, carrying kids, etc. We are both between 5'2" and 5'5". My mother is closer to 5'9" and she doesn't have this problem, I believe because the kitchen counter hits lower on her body. That's just our theory. But I am tired of buying new t-shirts every single summer. Sigh.

I don't know where you are buying them, but I've not had this problem and some of my stuff is 20 years old!

I have good luck with Target T shirts. And a few better stores, clearance price only, of course. Some cheap thin stuff does not hold out.

My older clothes are fine. It's only things bought in the last 3-4 years that have this problem. I've had problems with shirts bought at Target, Walmart, Avenue, and Kohls.

Yeah, this might be it for the OP. I have a front washer and don't have that problem. Any rough surface in the washer?

I have a newer Kenmore front loader. I also had the problem with an old top loader and an not very old front loader.

I don't think the washer *causes* the holes (because then why would they be only in one area?) rather I think the holes are discovered during folding. OR, perhaps, the holes are caused by something chemical (bleaching while cleaning?) and the fabric kind of rots then is washed away in the laundry cycle, so the holes appear post-washing but are actually caused by some prior contact with some kind of chemical.

I think washing is the last straw that finally does them in, not the ultimate cause. Chemicals are not the issue; I don't use them. I use an all purpose spray made of water, Dawn dish soap, and tea tree oil for cleaning. My laundry soap is All Free and Clear, though we just switched to a new one that doesn't have SLS in it (vegetable based).

My SIL and I were talking about this the other day. It doesn't happen to our husbands, or in my case the kids clothes either. SIL and I both wear jeans quite frequently, and our theory is that with cotton t-shirts having gotten thinner over the past few years, they rub up against the rough overlap of where the jeans button, causing holes only in the belly area. This is compounded from the friction of standing at the counter cooking and washing dishes, in the car when the seatbelt rubs across your midsection, carrying kids, etc. We are both between 5'2" and 5'5". My mother is closer to 5'9" and she doesn't have this problem, I believe because the kitchen counter hits lower on her body. That's just our theory. But I am tired of buying new t-shirts every single summer. Sigh.

I think it is cheap, thin fabric that can't hold up to normal wear and tear. Maybe they are using single ply yarn or splitting the ply to get thinner fabric. Either way, the integrity of the fabric isn't good. Your height theory (I'm 5'4") works in conjunction to that. We're the right height for normal, every day rubbing to occur. I believe clothing should be able to handle normal wear; we don't/can't stand around not touching anything to ensure our clothing never touches anything!

So, no more cotton t-shirts unless they are thicker.

Could it be getting caught on a pants zipper?

Wow--I was having this same problem, and I figured out that I have a certain pair of jeans that was causing the holes! The zipper pull has a rough spot on it and it was catching my shirts without my noticing it. I'm pretty sure this is the cause, because it was happening regularly until I noticed the zipper issue and stopped wearing those particular pants.

:iagree:My friend and I have come to the same conclusion...jeans.

And for whatit's worth, most of my shirts with belly holes are from LOFT.

I have this problem just within the last couple of years as well, and it is infuriating. It happens on shirts from target within 1-2 washes. I have had it happen to Loft and Gap shirts as well as ones from other designers. I think my Talbots and Ann Taylor ones have held up better.

I don't wear jeans often, so it isn't that (skirts usually). I am short though (5'4"), so the theory about hitting the counter just right seems plausible. Also, in recent years, I had lost a lot of weight, so it wasn't weight gain issue. I also line dry my tops.

It is really strange.

No clue as to the cause, but I would try returning them if they came from a reputable store. I remember when you were so excited about finding some new, pretty things - maybe only 12 weeks ago? Clothes should last for more than 6-7 washings. Might be worth a try.

For sensitivity issues, perhaps a thin cotton tee underneath a more durable synthetic. A few, little holes underneath won't show, and you will still be comfortable.

Yup same here...

And those mystery "grease" stains too :001_huh:

Excellent theory. I am 5'4" as well.

I have the same problem. I am positive we don't have moths, I don't wear a belt, and we have a front loader. I think it is a combination of cheap fabric and rubbing against the counter when I wash dishes, cook, brush my teeth, etc. I think clothing manufacturers are definitely skimping on the quality of the cotton they use.

I don't get these holes, but I'm curious. Lots of people here (see the link below) share the same problem, if anyone wants to wade through a lot of discussion...

http://ehealthforum.com/health/tiny-holes-in-shirts-where-belly-button-is-t192189.html#b

I only made it through the first page. So far, the leading contenders for a cause were pants zippers, cheap fabrics, and seat belts :001_smile: