Menu

Must-have supplies??

mommyto4QT

(Probably) Starting to homeschool this fall. I will have a K and a 2nd grader. What are some must-have supplies for starting to homeschool, besides curriculum?

Here's my list of things we need so far:

1. Large calendar for doing days of the week, etc.

2. Good children's encyclopedia (would love recommendations!)

3. Good children's dictionary (also looking for recommendations!)

4. Wall map ? (we have a globe, would that be ok?)

Stationary (pens, pencils, felt tipped pens, rulers, erasers etc)

Somewhere to sit that is the correct height for handwriting or can be adjusted to work

Paper for arts/crafts and other art supplies (paint, brushes, play doh etc)(depending what you plan on doing)

Somewhere to store the curriculum so it is easily accessible

A clock (for teaching and also just for keeping track of the time)

Somewhere for them to play and run off energy inbetween school time/subjects since they are so young.

Can't think of anymore right now...

For us, other necessities have included:

lots of bookshelf space

laser printer

lots of colored pencils

c-rods

base 10 flats

world puzzle (we actually have one puzzle of the entire world and then separate ones for each continent)

abacus

good pencil sharpener

plenty of binders, folders, copy paper, etc.

Good advice, I ran out of crayons, markers, paper, glue sticks, etc. super fast my first year homeschooling. I learned this fall and bought tons of extra and put it in a non see through container and put it up high in a closet where they can't access it all at once. So I still have enough to make it until it goes on sale this fall. Whew, I hate paying so much more for school supplies later in the year, lol.

We also have a 100's chart on the wall, ABC letters (we do use these) a color chart with the color words, a small flag up for pledge, and a large white board and cork board from Walmart.

ALso two other things I highly recommend if possible would be a laminator, I have the scotch one that goes on sale through Amazon many times and also a pro click binder system that gets used a lot :)

Prayer

Patience

Preparation

Peaceful atmosphere

Polite attitudes & responses

Protecting school time

Place for everyone & everything!

Physical activities

Planner

Personal white boards & dry erase markers

Pencils (mechanical)

Prisma colored pencils

Pens

Paper

Printer & ink

Pink (love anything pink!)

GLUE. Every sort of glue known to man LOL. Clag, Sticks, Craft, Super

Paper - Copy, Tracing, Construction, Card, Heavyweight

Artists Sketch Book for Nature Journaling

Tape - Masking, Nomal, Invisible, Duct

Writing & Colouring Implements - Pencils, Pens, Markers, Crayon, Chalk

Prismacolour Pencil Sharpener (I really want one of these, I'm sick of breakages with normal sharpeners)

Dictionary

Ipad - Not necessary, but can become your best friend

If planning to use the computer, a fairly good pair of speakers.

Food Colouring (For some reason I always need a lot of food colouring)

Start saving everything - Jars (like peanut butter etc) can be used to keep small craft items in, egg cartons have a billion and one uses

Storage Totes, Tubs and Baskets - Of all sizes. One can never have too many of these.

Paint Smocks or something to keep their clothes clean when paint, experimenting or anything else.

Giant bottles of Primary Colour Paint (plus black and white)

Buckets with handles

paintbrushes.

Labeller

I need way more storage totes and little tubs/buckets. This is a biased list though of stuff I Constantly seem to need :D

Drawer sets. Plastic. cloth, wood, doesn't matter, but I can't live without drawers or shelf bins to organize things. Lots and lots of book shelves. Also do try to have a place where you keep some hands off supplies. Nothing can be so frustrating than needing markers or paper or anything and not having it because the kid shave used it, played with them and now it's lost or destroyed.

I definitely have mom only markers and pens etc that get pulled down when we'r eworking on something and put right back into the cabinet when we're done.

Some sort of white board, mounted on a wall by where the kid swould be sitting is nice. I don't have that sort of space, but even an easel with a white board or chalkboard so you can write on it helps.

I also use colored pencils to write in a line free notebook certain lessons, examples etc. to show my kids.

A good printer/copier---so necessary!

I also buy a lot of stuff during back to school sales. Anything at all---as much as possible---

A good electric pencil sharpener, but do give the kids the fine motor skills of using hand held ones as well.

A daytimer/planner/journal for you.

Lots of three ring binders

Pencil grips

composition books

any and all kinds of math manipulatives counters---the more the merrier.

magazine holders for the kids workbooks

index cards

tiny paper magnetic book marks to mark places in teachers books etc.

a pocket chart with blank lined strips

lots of glue---it's amazing how fast a kid will use a package of glue sticks.

I've also found that the hard white boards that xray techs use behind the xrays are so good for making all kinds of things. I get piles of them free from a local clinic---they just throw them out. I've made fraction manipulatives, counting rods, clock faces, see through multiplication tables.

Paint sample cards---oh the possibilities are endless. I've been slowly transfering a lot of early phonics lessons from OPGTR onto paint sample card cutout windows to make word family manipulatives.

I love our magnetic dry erase board that's mounted on our wall, but our most used homeschool tools are these dry erase lap boards with the mini erasers. I just got home from my local convention where I purchased a couple more (they sell the items separately at our convention, but it looks like the kit is a better deal).

We have a few of these from United Art, I think 3? And use them all the time, even at church and on the road :)

Lots and lots of dry erase markers and a clip board for everyone..

We use our lap sized whiteboards all day long for school, I got them for about 4 dollars each at a local teaching supply store and they are super lightweight, but big enough to really be able to teach from.

I also have DS use them to practice extra math problems, and spelling, and any other simple exercises where we just really don't need to save paper.

It also means we can school anywhere and be comfortable, but I can still teach using visual aids.

I also love both Evernote and Pinterest for saving ideas and links.

Lots and lots of mechanical pencils, our house eats pencils, and this way he isn't needing to sharpen it constantly, because he must have it perfectly sharp at all times.

Paper, printer white and colored, plus construction, both 9x12 and 12x18

Colored pencils

Markers, fine and broad tipped

Lots of pencils

Good pencil sharpener

3 line handwriting paper

Extra erasers

Index cards

Cardstock

Scissors

Tons of glue, glue sticks and white glue

Paints

Paintbrushes

Stickers

Whiteboard & dry erase markers

Rulers

Sticky tabs

Binders

Folders

Tape

GLUE. Every sort of glue known to man LOL. Clag, Sticks, Craft, Super

Paper - Copy, Tracing, Construction, Card, Heavyweight

Artists Sketch Book for Nature Journaling

Tape - Masking, Nomal, Invisible, Duct

Writing & Colouring Implements - Pencils, Pens, Markers, Crayon, Chalk

Prismacolour Pencil Sharpener (I really want one of these, I'm sick of breakages with normal sharpeners)

Dictionary

Ipad - Not necessary, but can become your best friend

If planning to use the computer, a fairly good pair of speakers.

Food Colouring (For some reason I always need a lot of food colouring)

Start saving everything - Jars (like peanut butter etc) can be used to keep small craft items in, egg cartons have a billion and one uses

Storage Totes, Tubs and Baskets - Of all sizes. One can never have too many of these.

Paint Smocks or something to keep their clothes clean when paint, experimenting or anything else.

Giant bottles of Primary Colour Paint (plus black and white)

Buckets with handles

paintbrushes.

Labeller

I need way more storage totes and little tubs/buckets. This is a biased list though of stuff I Constantly seem to need :D

:iagree: We have a huge stockpile in our back room. You never know...

Printer / Scanner / Copier !!

White board / markers / eraser / spray cleaner

Lots of tape, glue, markers, crayons, pencils, erasers, pencil sharpener

http://www.post-it.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Post_It/Global/Products/Flags/?PC_7_RJH9U5230OT440II987MUE3CE0000000_nid=DKDGB6PRLXgsQF4PQ1K69MglF0B9Q95J0Sbl Love these!

index cards

bookshelves / cabinet / place to put all your books and supplies

lined handwriting paper

all the craft stuff others mentioned (construction paper, paints, etc, etc)

binder with your state laws in it

master binder for your schedule, if you have one

binder with your state laws in it

This is a very good idea. I have a copy of our state school code with the parts directly related to homeschooling highlighted. I keep it in a manila envelope on the shelf. If I'm ever challenged by anyone who could potentially come to my home (cps, truancy officer, nosy neighbor) I can pull that down and start giving them a law lesson. :lol: I doubt it will ever happen though. But it would send a clear message that I am on top of things thank you very much and aware of my families rights by law. If you call your state DOE they'll send you one---they don't even need to know why.

Encyclopedias and similar books we like:

Usborne World of Animals

DK First Human Body Encyclopedia

Usborne Children's Encyclopedia

Usborne Complete First Book of Nature

Also:

Draw Write Now book 1

See How It's Made

C-rods

Base 10 flats

Tangrams and pattern books

Wow!! This is a great list!! We should make this into a PDF. :P

Encyclopedia's

- First Nature Encyclopedia (Grades 1+)

- First Space Encyclopedia (Grades 1+)

- First Human Body Encyclopedia (Grades 1+)

- First Animal Encyclopedia (Grades 1+)

There are SOOOO many options for Encyclopedia's out there, but this is a good basic set for first graders (or younger). I would also consider the Usbourne Encyclopedias. I'm going to be an Encyclopedia-phile so....

Atlas

- National Geographic Atlas for Young Explorers (Grades 3+)

- National Geographic United States Atlas for Young Explorers (Grade 3+)

Dictionary

- Merriam-Webster's Children's Dictionary (Grades 1+)

- Merriam-Webster's Elementary Dictionary (Grades 3+)