Menu

Dinner tonight was a major fail

I'm trying to eat healthier. I decided to try these high protein waffles from the Vita-Mix website. The idea was to have a waffle that my diabetic dh could eat and not have blood sugar problems. I added some sides and started to cook the waffles. They were G*R*O*S*S. For one thing they wouldn't cook through and the part that did cook were burned. For another thing, they tasted almost exclusively like their secret protein ingredient - white kidney beans. I like beans - in chili, soup etc. but I do not like bean flavored waffles. Sigh. I think this healthy eating thing is not for me. I made a salad from the Eat to Live site last week that had a cashew butter dressing and it too was G*R*O*S*S (though ds14 said he'd still eat it). I'm going to try a green smoothie tomorrow. I really want to like it but now I'm a bit afraid.

Don't give up! I had a lot of fails when I started eating healthier and cooking from scratch. All I ever knew how to do before was open a can/box, add it to a pot, and heat. :lol:

If you're changing your whole way of eating that's also going to take some getting used to. I never liked plain veggies before and now I love them. I never liked food without a ton of salt and now salty foods are gross to me. I never met a box of processed food that I didn't like and now I wouldn't eat something from a box if you paid me. My point is, your taste buds will change and you'll eventually start liking the meals you cook because you'll get better at it and your tastes will change. I don't know about those waffles, but I've had cashew butter dressing before that was soooooo good. It's all about experimenting!

Good luck! :)

Are you ready for something a bit farther out there? Tonight DD10 and I are having our shared Toad-in-the-Hole. DD loves pancakes. Pancakes are a no-go for me (diabetic), so I cut the centers out of the pancakes after cooking and toss the ring in the fry pan and fry an egg in the center.

DD10 eats the pancake centers, I eat the toad-in-the-hole - everyone is happy.

We also make diabetic-friendly ricotta pancakes. These are a little more work, but very filling! Ricotta cheese is much tastier than white beans.

Don't give up! I had a lot of fails when I started eating healthier and cooking from scratch. All I ever knew how to do before was open a can/box, add it to a pot, and heat. :lol:

If you're changing your whole way of eating that's also going to take some getting used to. I never liked plain veggies before and now I love them. I never liked food without a ton of salt and now salty foods are gross to me. I never met a box of processed food that I didn't like and now I wouldn't eat something from a box if you paid me. My point is, your taste buds will change and you'll eventually start liking the meals you cook because you'll get better at it and your tastes will change. I don't know about those waffles, but I've had cashew butter dressing before that was soooooo good. It's all about experimenting!

Good luck! :)

I cook mostly from scratch already. I just cook "normal" things.;) I have used cashew butter before - on my Ezekiel bread! But you're right - I should keep trying.

Man, I hate when that happens! I'm sorry :(

I think it's always hard when you have foods you love ... and then health conditions that make those foods off-limits. We try -in vain- to replace ingredients in favorite foods, but it's almost easier to just try -instead- to replace entire foods. I grew up veg*n, but most of my peers did not. Many are now jumping onto the ETL and similar bandwagons to try their hand at veg*n eating. Foods taste good for a reason; it's the ingredients, not our emotional attachments to their names LOL. I warn them against swapping out ingredients on old favorites, but sometimes that's the baby step they need to make such a drastic dietary leap. Nobody can find fault with that. Still, I try to encourage them to expand their food repertoire to new foods. It's just as scary, but way less of a potential let-down. There's nothing worse than being hungry and having a ruined meal as the only thing to eat. (I try new recipes often, so my family is used to that feeling LOL)

Hopefully the next experiment is more successful. I never know which is worse, that the meal was gross or that I wasted my time and money to prepare it!

I don't know how bad off your dh's sugar levels are. My diabetic dh (no meds, using diet and exercise) controls his by eating small portions of "normal" whole grain options. So, he might eat 1 small waffle with sugar-free syrup and no other carbs. The rest of his meal might be a ham & cheese omelette (if your dh would eat veggies in an omelette like mushrooms and spinach, even better) turkey bacon, etc.... But the one waffle would satisfy his taste for it.

Dh also does this with burgers or subs, by eating only one side of the bun. It leaves enough for the taste, but cuts the carbs in half.

Don't give up before trying the green smoothie. Those are delicious. Well, except the time I tried to use turnip greens in there. Blech. I use kale, swiss chard, spinach, etc., in there just fine. Even the kids will eat it. I do mine with greens, strawberries, a banana, blueberries or blackberries and OJ. The blueberries or blackberries turn it from greenish brown to a nice purple, thus making it edible for the kids. ;)

I would like to make a small suggestion, I am not cooking for a diabetic so I am not familiar with those challenges, but my family is vegetarian and we are very healthy eaters. At times, due to different circumstances our family diet had to make adjustments and changes.

Don't make faux versions of food you like. Just say no. Don't make "waffles" if you like waffles. Don't make "pizza" when you want pizza. It will be a disappointment for a long time. It is much easier to find new foods you do like or learn to live without some stuff. Or, make a plan to have something you do like in a way that is ok for your diet. When we had to go dairy free I didn't buy "cheese" (or cheze as my dh calls it). I had to learn to eat things without cheese. It was difficult, but less demoralizing.

Find a couple things for each meal and snacks that you can live with and go from there. Find a new breakfast..then find three. Find a new good lunch and then find two more. Just keep working at it, adding to your rotation, learning new skills. But say no to faux.

bean waffles? I push it, I really do, but that might be a too big a push for even me. Or, I would make waffles and stir in 1/2 cup white bean puree to the entire batch of batter the first time, and gradually increase. But, don't go the full bean waffle your first time out.

We also make diabetic-friendly ricotta pancakes. These are a little more work, but very filling! Ricotta cheese is much tastier than white beans.

Can you share this recipe? I saw a recipe on Pinterest for pancakes that used cottage cheese I think, but someone I know tried them and said they were gross. Ricotta sounds better....

Are you ready for something a bit farther out there? Tonight DD10 and I are having our shared Toad-in-the-Hole. DD loves pancakes. Pancakes are a no-go for me (diabetic), so I cut the centers out of the pancakes after cooking and toss the ring in the fry pan and fry an egg in the center.

DD10 eats the pancake centers, I eat the toad-in-the-hole - everyone is happy.

I like toad-in-the-hole! I never thought of doing them with pancakes. Thank you for the idea.

I would like ricotta pancakes, but dh is allergic to dairy and I've cut it out because I think it was contributing to sinus problems.:crying:

I love green smoothies, but only with spinach for the greens. Spinach, a few blueberries, half a banana, and a little OJ tastes like dessert instead of something healthy.

Don't give up before trying the green smoothie. Those are delicious. Well, except the time I tried to use turnip greens in there. Blech. I use kale, swiss chard, spinach, etc., in there just fine. Even the kids will eat it. I do mine with greens, strawberries, a banana, blueberries or blackberries and OJ. The blueberries or blackberries turn it from greenish brown to a nice purple, thus making it edible for the kids. ;)

OK - I'll try it. I bought some kale today. I have blueberries, bananas and oranges. Can I just put an orange into the Vitamix or do I need actual oj?

Man, I hate when that happens! I'm sorry :(

I think it's always hard when you have foods you love ... and then health conditions that make those foods off-limits. We try -in vain- to replace ingredients in favorite foods, but it's almost easier to just try -instead- to replace entire foods. I grew up veg*n, but most of my peers did not. Many are now jumping onto the ETL and similar bandwagons to try their hand at veg*n eating. Foods taste good for a reason; it's the ingredients, not our emotional attachments to their names LOL. I warn them against swapping out ingredients on old favorites, but sometimes that's the baby step they need to make such a drastic dietary leap. Nobody can find fault with that. Still, I try to encourage them to expand their food repertoire to new foods. It's just as scary, but way less of a potential let-down. There's nothing worse than being hungry and having a ruined meal as the only thing to eat. (I try new recipes often, so my family is used to that feeling LOL)

Hopefully the next experiment is more successful. I never know which is worse, that the meal was gross or that I wasted my time and money to prepare it!

I would like to make a small suggestion, I am not cooking for a diabetic so I am not familiar with those challenges, but my family is vegetarian and we are very healthy eaters. At times, due to different circumstances our family diet had to make adjustments and changes.

Don't make faux versions of food you like. Just say no. Don't make "waffles" if you like waffles. Don't make "pizza" when you want pizza. It will be a disappointment for a long time. It is much easier to find new foods you do like or learn to live without some stuff. Or, make a plan to have something you do like in a way that is ok for your diet. When we had to go dairy free I didn't buy "cheese" (or cheze as my dh calls it). I had to learn to eat things without cheese. It was difficult, but less demoralizing.

Find a couple things for each meal and snacks that you can live with and go from there. Find a new breakfast..then find three. Find a new good lunch and then find two more. Just keep working at it, adding to your rotation, learning new skills. But say no to faux.

bean waffles? I push it, I really do, but that might be a too big a push for even me. Or, I would make waffles and stir in 1/2 cup white bean puree to the entire batch of batter the first time, and gradually increase. But, don't go the full bean waffle your first time out.

You both make good points about trying to change favorite foods. We're dairy free and don't eat "cheze" (I like that name!) either.

I don't know how bad off your dh's sugar levels are. My diabetic dh (no meds, using diet and exercise) controls his by eating small portions of "normal" whole grain options. So, he might eat 1 small waffle with sugar-free syrup and no other carbs. The rest of his meal might be a ham & cheese omelette (if your dh would eat veggies in an omelette like mushrooms and spinach, even better) turkey bacon, etc.... But the one waffle would satisfy his taste for it.

Dh also does this with burgers or subs, by eating only one side of the bun. It leaves enough for the taste, but cuts the carbs in half.

That's what I normally do. Maybe I should just stick to that!

Can you have oatmeal? I've got a recipe from the Body For Life cookbook that uses ground oatmeal in place of flour and also has pureed cottage cheese and eggs, vanilla, a bit of Splenda and a touch of cinnamon. They're very good and healthy. I can give you the exact recipe if you're interested.

Can you have oatmeal? I've got a recipe from the Body For Life cookbook that uses ground oatmeal in place of flour and also has pureed cottage cheese and eggs, vanilla, a bit of Splenda and a touch of cinnamon. They're very good and healthy. I can give you the exact recipe if you're interested.

We can have the oatmeal but not the cottage cheese (allergic to dairy). Someone else might be interested in the recipe, though.

Can you share this recipe? I saw a recipe on Pinterest for pancakes that used cottage cheese I think, but someone I know tried them and said they were gross. Ricotta sounds better....

They sound harder to make than they really are. I use this recipe, but I leave the sugar out because they really taste good without any. I add a little nutmeg to mine (just a sprinkle).

ETA - almond flour makes good pancakes. Not sure about waffles but I don't see why not. I generally despise low-carb substitutes, but almond flour is one that I like and can use.

Edited by AK_Mom4

I love this pancake recipe: http://www.food.com/recipeprint.do?rid=43072

Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup oatmeal
    • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 4 egg whites

Directions

1. Blend all ingredients in blender.
  2. Spray skillet with cooking spray and cook just like"silver dollar" pancakes, a few small ones at a time.
  3. Top with your favorite pancake topping!

OK - I'll try it. I bought some kale today. I have blueberries, bananas and oranges. Can I just put an orange into the Vitamix or do I need actual oj?

I have used whole orange, but I need to add more water to thin it a bit, and it doesn't have the tangy bite I like in mine (I add probably 1-1/2 cups of juice in our big carafe). My DH likes it mellower so likes the whole orange with pulp better. Experiment. :)

I had some leftover quinoa from a salad I made and I looked up recipes for ideas. I found one that I modified some and made quinoa cakes. Someone might enjoy these, and they were easy. You could leave out the Parmesan and season it up another way, or add nutritional yeast. I don't normally do dairy, but I'll eat a good quality hard cheese every now and then.

The recipe was for more, but I had one c quinoa so this is what I did for 4 little cakes. (I say little but they were palm-sized)

1 c leftover quinoa

1 egg

3 green onions, diced finely - not the really dark part, but all the white part

1/8 c - 1/4 c parm cheese, shredded

1-2 T flax meal

Chickpea flour (or other if you have no issues with grain) just to get the consistency a little less watery

Put a T or 2 of olive oil in a small skillet and heat. Drop a blob of the mixture and pat with fork to form a patty. Drop more blobs and form them until your pan is full, leaving space to flip patties of course. Brown a bit, then flip and brown other side (took maybe 5 minutes). Remove from pan.

I ate these with a little homemade salsa and a sliced avocado (and was thinking I could've put cilantro in them). You could put other flavorings in, or you could maybe do a lightly sweetened version for a breakfast thing.

They were REALLY good!

Edited by StaceyinLA

So many of my gluten-free attempts are fails that I dread making anything for ANY meal other than breakfast (at least gluten-free cereal is easy to do...). Sigh.

I don't like cooking that much anyway - cooking with restrictions & ingredients I don't know much about is just... depressing.

ETA - add into the mix a 6yo who doesn't accept that he is probably gluten-intolerant, a granny who lives here and also has trouble accepting, and an 8yo brother who has no known gluten problems & doesn't want to "play"... then remove dh, who is the one who has been trying to get us all gluten-free & has been doing the cooking (and who left to go out of town working for awhile)... and meal time around here is a very unappealing time!! :(

Edited by black_midori

I don't have a vitamix, just a regular blender, so I'm not sure. From what I've heard, doesn't the vitamix puree anything? If so, I would imagine the whole orange would be the most healthy anyway. We put the spinach in first then add the berries and banana with the liquid being last.

I wonder if it's the same recipe? Do you have the recipe to share?

I *think* this is the recipe. Hopefully it is because the ones I had were honestly really good!

Diabetic Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients:

15 ounce can of black beans rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 – 1 2/3 cups)

2 ripe bananas

1/4 cup honey or agave nectar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1/4 cup quick oats

1 tbsp minced walnuts

1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8″ pan (if you use a pan that is too big you will end up with thin brownies – still delicious). You can also use a 12-cup muffin pan. Combine all ingredients, except oats and walnuts, in a blender and blend until smooth. Stir in the oats and walnuts and pour batter into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Store in fridge. (Brownies taste better after being refridgerated for a few hours, or overnight).

So many of my gluten-free attempts are fails that I dread making anything for ANY meal other than breakfast (at least gluten-free cereal is easy to do...). Sigh.

I don't like cooking that much anyway - cooking with restrictions & ingredients I don't know much about is just... depressing.

That is challenging - and depressing. :grouphug:

I had some leftover quinoa from a salad I made and I looked up recipes for ideas. I found one that I modified some and made quinoa cakes. Someone might enjoy these, and they were easy. You could leave out the Parmesan and season it up another way, or add nutritional yeast. I don't normally do dairy, but I'll eat a good quality hard cheese every now and then.

Thank you. I'll have to try this.:001_smile:

I *think* this is the recipe. Hopefully it is because the ones I had were honestly really good!

Diabetic Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients:

15 ounce can of black beans rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 – 1 2/3 cups)

2 ripe bananas

1/4 cup honey or agave nectar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1/4 cup quick oats

1 tbsp minced walnuts

1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8″ pan (if you use a pan that is too big you will end up with thin brownies – still delicious). You can also use a 12-cup muffin pan. Combine all ingredients, except oats and walnuts, in a blender and blend until smooth. Stir in the oats and walnuts and pour batter into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Store in fridge. (Brownies taste better after being refridgerated for a few hours, or overnight).

I'll try this too.:001_smile:

Jean, I'm also doing a lot of experimenting trying to be as low carb as possible and still have food that is edible.:D Beans are a food that I can't have, so I've managed to stay away from the bean pancakes. :D

But, there are several sites where I've been able to find some great low carb recipes. These might be helpful for your husband's diet:

http://yourlighterside.com

http://untilthethinladysings.blogspot.com/

http://247lowcarbdiner.blogspot.com

http://www.genaw.com

http://ginnyslowcarbkitchen.blogspot.com

http://www.healthyindulgences.net

Here is a pancake recipe that I've been meaning to try, but haven't had a chance yet. I've left it as the original poster wrote it and included some notes. You could substitute whatever sweetener your husband uses.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cream Cheese Pancakes & Syrup

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Breakfasts & Brunches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 package cream cheese -- (8 oz)

4 eggs -- separated

Sweetener to taste - I use 3 drops of Sweetzfree (liquid splenda)

1/2 tsp cinnamon (I use more)

butter for pan -- griddle

Syrup

2 teaspoons Splenda (I use a few drops of Sweetzfree)

1/2 stick butter

1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, egg yolks, Splenda, and cinnamon until well blended.

In another bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cream cheese mixture.

Heat griddle to medium heat. Dollop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the buttered griddle.

Cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook other side to a golden brown, adding butter to griddle as needed.

To make Syrup:

Mix sugar substitute with melted butter until dissolved. Stir in cinnamon and pour over pancakes.

Source:

"http://www.diabetes-book.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Trust me, as strange as they sound, they taste just like real pancakes! I've included the syrup recipe that came with the recipe, but I should point out that I've never made it; I use Walden Farms zero-carb pancake syrup.

I just tried the pancake recipe last night, delicious! Thank you for sharing it! The only change I made was adding 1 tsp of vanilla.