Menu

How much have you spend on family portraits?

How much have you spent (at one time) on family portraits?  

1. 1. How much have you spent (at one time) on family portraits?

• Less than $100
    • $100 - 499
    • $500 - 999
    • $1000 - 1499
    • $1500 - 1999
    • $2000 - 2499
    • $2500+

I won't use the poll because I used to be a pro portrait photographer. Back then--I've been out of the biz since 1999...my clients used to spend anywhere from $500 to well over $5000.

Do what you can afford.

I really love wall portraits because they can be viewed and enjoyed from any part of a room every day.

We have a friend who is professional and she charges $100. She doesn't have a studio, though, so we find an outdoor spot that we like and do them there--though we are at the mercy of the weather.

I know she's comparatively very affordable and we love her. She really knows how to get the best possible portraits of reluctant toddlers.

We use http://www.yuenluistudio.com/. They aren't too bad. We did bunny shots with the kids for Easter and that pack was $149 and included a CD of the session. If we have the adults in too it is usually more around the $300 mark with the CD. We then use a mail order place to get our bigger photos for hanging on the wall.

They have them in OR, WA, and CA.

I won't use the poll because I used to be a pro portrait photographer. Back then--I've been out of the biz since 1999...my clients used to spend anywhere from $500 to well over $5000.

Do what you can afford.

I really love wall portraits because they can be viewed and enjoyed from any part of a room every day.

This is what I want -- one larger family portrait for the wall. The gallery wraps are gorgeous !I would like to get a four or six smaller portraits of the children to display in an artsy collage frame as well but my dh is really put off by the cost of it all.

This is what I want -- one larger family portrait for the wall. The gallery wraps are gorgeous !I would like to get a four or six smaller portraits of the children to display in an artsy collage frame as well but my dh is really put off by the cost of it all.

I understand...I had lots of dads feeling that way. ;) It's always better if dad is part of the sales/buying process at the studio...that way they could be blown away by the presentation of the portraits.

It's an investment. You aren't going to do this every year (every 5 years maybe--more likely 10.) AND your kiddoes will never, ever be this age again. The portrait will become more precious as the years go by.

I hope you can find a way to afford EXACTLY what you want. Don't be afraid to go a wee bit bigger than you feel comfy with...it will be spectacular! I love gallery wraps, too!

We found a photographer who did 2 hours at an outside location, and did whatever combinations or poses we wanted. We did me and hubby, all three of us, some of hubby, me and dd individually. It was great! Basic photoshopping was included. We got a disk with all the pics and rights to print whatever we wanted. We paid $375.

That seems like alot, but it was nice to have the flexibility to get pics in lots of different combos and poses. Also we were able to get them printed where we wanted at a relatively affordable price. (You don't want to print them at Walmart though, we ordered from a place online called Mpix, which does a super nice job.)

We thought the price for what we got was reasonable.

Portraits are difficult to take and a professional photographer is an asset. But, now with cameras being of such great quality, as well as home editing software, I have not used a professional photographer in years and years. You can get decent artistic prints and canvasses from Shutterfly or similar companies by just uploading your home photos. Some professional photographers will sell you a high resolution CD so that you can add the creativity you want before printing.

Edited by Minniewannabe

None. I'd never spend that kind of money on photographs. We can have tons of perfectly nice candids and memories from our own camera basically for free. :D If I was going to blow that kind of money on capturing memories I'd rather it be on a shared experience, like traveling somewhere together!

I spent $400 on photos recently with a professional photographer. The sitting fee was $100 and I then purchased a CD of the photos so I could have them printed however I wanted because I had some different things I wanted to do with the photos. I could have easily spent over $1000 if I had purchased the portrait package I thought I liked from her rather than the CD.

None. I'd never spend that kind of money on photographs. We can have tons of perfectly nice candids and memories from our own camera basically for free. :D If I was going to blow that kind of money on capturing memories I'd rather it be on a shared experience, like traveling somewhere together!

:iagree:

My feelings exactly.

Doing a really nice outdoor session is a shared experience. My sessions usually lasted an hour or so, except when there was a baby or toddler involved. It's not Disney World, but it is doing an activity together. Especially if you add a memorable picnic for afterwards.