Menu

Moms/Dads of Active Children

So... question for you :) Has anyone had a child that they were wondering if they are "ADHD" or something similar and done a trial run of say.... Running with the child an hour a day or twice a day... or whatever.

I'm looking at my son wondering if I should try a month of just running the hell out of him and seeing what his behavior is like.... Or if I should just go the "get him evaluated" and see how that works way.

Trying to decide what I think about this..... I need a holiday!! :)

Yes, I have a child like this and am currently trying the 'run him ragged' approach. He's 3 and a half. He does an hour of gymnastics several days per week, and we've been taking one or more hour-long bike rides every day, along with all his usual general perpetual motion. ;)

I've seen improvement in his ability to focus and general behaviour. Our worst day this week was the one where I couldn't get him to eat breakfast. He was off all day.

We've also completely removed screen time of all sorts this week, so I'm not sure if that's contributed to the improvement as well.

Ds has always had some focusing/attention issues. From the time he was quite young he would go outside and run a few laps around the house. Then back to work. While he's learned a lot of coping strategies I wish he had been evaluated a long time ago.

I'm looking at my son wondering if I should try a month of just running the hell out of him and seeing what his behavior is like....
That has been my approach. :lol:

We take a nightly run around the block after supper, along with 2 mile walks several times a week. Add in tennis for 1.5 hours a week and an extended park day for another 3 hours of running. Mountain biking or hiking on the weekend. Swimming in season. Golf is not high-energy, but he does have to walk and carry his bag plus it requires lots of focus.

The only activity I have not found to be beneficial is rebounding or using a mini trampoline. That just winds him up more. :tongue_smilie:

I'm looking at my son wondering if I should try a month of just running the hell out of him and seeing what his behavior is like.... Or if I should just go the "get him evaluated" and see how that works way.

Me too :tongue_smilie:My 8 year old does MUCH better with a high level of physical activity. Not that it makes him perfect, but much more tolerable. I wonder if skateboarding would use multiple parts of the brain like biking/swimming...? He enjoys it, and does better on days where he gets plenty of it in the mornings.

We do nonstop physical activity at our house. If we don't, well... things get a little ugly. Our house has a "loop" that the boys can run and they just chase each other all day when it rains. We also have a mini-trampoline for when it rains. When it isn't raining, we are outside as much as possible. Nightly walks to the park (1.5 miles round trip), weekly tennis lessons, and every-other-day martial arts lessons. I don't know if it is ADD or just being boys... but running them works wonders.:001_smile:

My son was the worst before age 6. And then several things happened: I took him off of all artificial dyes in his food, limited his sugar (mostly I make him have a protein with any sugar he consumes even if it is just a glass of milk), I let him have several hours of free roaming times in the backyard and enrolled him all manner of active play - basketball, tball, swimming, gymnastics, etc.

It has all helped so much that he is overall much calmer and able to concentrate more. I am a firm believer that some kids just can't concentrate until they have had time (several times a day) to be physically active.

Only an hour? :D

Sorry. My thoughts on boys run to the effect of:

Run them

Do twenty minutes of school (standing up)

Exercise them

Do twenty minutes of school (standing up)

Have them run around the house

Do twenty minutes of school

Chop wood

School is over for the day.

Repeat exercise as needed to complete school day. Finish with 1-2 hours of outside time. Then nap them. Then back outside.

Oregon rain is KILLING me. :glare: ;)

Maybe you should be visiting soon, lol. I'll lock the hatchets in the shed so no wood chopping.

Good Ideas, everyone :) I wouldn't mind hearing more. Good to think about the biking, too! Right after he gets his cast off, we'll do that. He does Kempo for an hour about 5 times a week and does jumping jacks... all the time. (Because I tell him to...) I limit sugar, almost eat organic... try to make sure he gets protein...

Seriously, it's an awesome thing to do the Biking. I have to remember that. When I was 8 it was different. I could bike from our house to the college my dad taught at, and bike as long as I wanted...

And Kelly, yup... just about time to do a park day ;)

I have a child who I am certain is ADHD. I signed her up for swimming last summer, and it exhausted her. Which in turn made her cranky and harder to get along with. She takes a Tuesday swimming class now at an indoor pool and it's hard to get her to concentrate on anything in the afternoon. ADHD children don't necessarily simply have a surplus of energy that if you used up, they would be calm. :)

Edited by Mimm
spelling

When my DD was at the height of her energy level we worked for 10 to 15 minutes max per subject with very rapid transitioning. She was also allowed to wear rollerblades or sit on a rolling stool or sit on a bouncy ball the entire school day. We still do one hour of PE a day even though she is 11 as well as about 15 hours of dance a week. Flash card drills and studying is always done outside while bouncing a basketball or some such.

I would have never taken my DD in for a formal diagnosis. I would never have agreed to medicate her so, therefore, what would be the point? An official diagnosis would just be something that loomed over her head for the rest of her life. Instead, I chose to let her learn within her boundaries, not mine.

(I can't tell you how much craziness, however, this did to me. But, so be it.)

:)

Me too :tongue_smilie:My 8 year old does MUCH better with a high level of physical activity. Not that it makes him perfect, but much more tolerable. I wonder if skateboarding would use multiple parts of the brain like biking/swimming...? He enjoys it, and does better on days where he gets plenty of it in the mornings.

I wish I could have ds go biking or swimming more - I have an active 8-year-old too. However, I also have a dd 4 who gets tired much easier, and a one-year-old who needs naps. As a result, I haven't taken ds out as much as he needs to. He is in Taekwondo three times a week and dance for two and a half hours weekly, though. I make him do jumping jacks for multiplication drills - especially the 9s tables.

I'm enrolling ds in swimming this summer, three times a week for an hour. I'm curious what effect this will have on him.

Interesting about the opposite effect in PP's child. So far I notice ds is being calmer when he gets exercise.

Edited by sagira

Swim team and martial arts, alternating days all week (swim team M-W-F, martial arts T-TH), worked like magic with my crazy-active 7yo...tuckers him out and definitely helps him burn off his energy effectively! On weekends DH does a lot of active things with him too - open mat for martial arts on Saturday they do together, then on Sunday's they'll go hiking, biking or swimming for fun together.

Rather than running try biking or swimming at least an hour a day. Running is a passive activity, biking requires concentration, coordination, attention as well as balance. Swimming requires the same using multiple parts of the brain.

Running is a passive activity?? Um, no. The mental stamina running requires is probably more important than the physical stamina.

I'm in the same boat, but I have a 4 yo. His behavior is sooooo much better when we have been ACTIVE- and I am NOT talking about a walk around the block. I'm talking hiking, running crazy at the playground, all day at the beach or pool, etc. A crazy amount. Crazy. And we live in Michigan and most of the time, it's too darn cold outside for me. But if we don't do it, he is literally climbing the walls by 4 or 5. Activities for his age just aren't active enough. He does gymnastics once a week, but it's only 45 minutes and while they do a good job keeping them busy the whole time- it doesn't even phase him. To do anything like swimming would require at least a 25 minute drive......

I don't think he's ADD though, he is very able to focus on lessons (in fact asks for them most days) loves to color, read, etc. He can sit still for long periods of time. But he is a different kid when he's been seriously active. I've been trying to figure out how to work this into our day.....but I haven't figured it out yet. I'm :bigear: on this thread!