Menu

Where does your highschooler do his/her work?

Currently my boys all work downstairs together, which can be distracting at times. So for my soon to be highschooler, I want him upstairs in his room (he has a desk and chair up there). But I don't want him to feel "left out". But the workload is more intense. So how does it look in your house?

I've only got the 2, but my High Schooler does his work (well whatever isn't on the computer) up in his room. He needs to be away from Dad and Sister to concentrate and study. He does a few courses on the computer, and he must come down stairs for those: supervision, ya know ;)

~coffee~

DD18 has a desk in the room next to where DD10 and I work. She can shut the door when DD10 gets noisy or leave it open when she wants some company.

But if she is just reading something, she often flops on the couch in the living room for that.

17yodd does the majority of her school work while sitting on her bed. She usually does math at the kitchen table or on the couch.

My 13yods moves around a bit more, kitchen table, different couches in different rooms. He often does his math sitting on the floor. He's at an easy part, and I think it's not worth it for him to move far from where the books are stored.:D

My dd has a strong preference to work in her room. She delights in texting me from up there. :rolleyes: Her preference for her room has a lot to do with the fact that her dear brother jiggles, taps, talks, and yes, even SINGS, his way through his work.

:iagree:

Both of my kids do any independent work upstairs in their rooms. They alternate times with me for math, science and we all do history together. When they are not specifically working with me, they head for their rooms, or maybe the recliner in the living room. They both text me with questions. I text them when I'm ready for them to come back:lol:. Dd is particularly noisy when she works. She is always in motion and likes music when she works. Ds needs silence to concentrate. Separation is important!

The most we ever had was three (as one was already in school)...

I believe in working in the same room as RL can have distractions and I've had relatives and friends' children having problems when working alone....cheating, bad Internet sites, distractions with computer games, etc...

But then again, I don't have 12 children either...Not sure what I'd do there.

The isolation of working alone (even at home with sibs) is seen as a huge reason against home ed here...so I can't imagine what the government would think if the kids were separated...

The importance of example can't be underestimated....I think of that even in relation to study habits and is one reason I like mine to work in the same study as myself....they've seen me studying at my desk ever since they could understand what I was doing...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

I have only one doing school, but there are still plenty of distractions. We have desks next to each other in the room that serves as our office and dining area. (The layout of this house is a little odd.)

We have experimented during the year with letting him do his work in various places, but it never works out well. So, the current rule is that he does all of his schoolwork at his desk, unless I occasionally give him special permission to do literature or history reading in his room.

My highschooler works wherever she feels like it. At this age, I trust her to know what works best for her. She'll work in her room, but sometimes she feels isolated or finds herself getting distracted by her stuff, so she'll come upstairs to join the rest of us.

Currently my boys all work downstairs together, which can be distracting at times. So for my soon to be highschooler, I want him upstairs in his room (he has a desk and chair up there). But I don't want him to feel "left out". But the workload is more intense. So how does it look in your house?

My junior does her work in the school room. Or upstairs in her room now that she has a computer with internet.

My freshman does her work in the kitchen.

I gave my one homeschooler the biggest bedroom, lots of shelves, a nice worktable, a desk, computer, etc. on one side of the room and a nice bedroom set-up on the other side of the room. Cool, huh? Not. He did the least little bit to get by, and played lots of Youtube and games.

We moved him to the smaller bedroom, put his "office" on the enclosed backporch, which is also the dining room we eat in, and has lots of windows and sunshine, off the kitchen, so he can hear the household but not be in the middle of it. That is working out pretty well. I still have to turn off the internet connection if I leave the house, though. I creep up on him, to make sure he's watching assigned videos and not playing online. I'm looking for some program or app I can install that allows me to check, from my computer, to see what he's playing, urrrr, working on. He figured out that I was checking his history, pretty quickly.