Menu

Can my dc take a bath together if

they wear their swimsuits?

Since the olders are opposite gender, they stopped bathing together a yr or 2 ago but still complain about it. I'm thinking it would be awfully fun for them if I got some kind of body paint soap stuff & let them all 3 bathe together. (Right now they take turns w/ baby in the tub w/ them.)

Whaddaya think? Too weird? Too messy?

Since the olders are opposite gender, they stopped bathing together a yr or 2 ago but still complain about it. I'm thinking it would be awfully fun for them if I got some kind of body paint soap stuff & let them all 3 bathe together. (Right now they take turns w/ baby in the tub w/ them.)

I've never let bath time turn into playtime in our house. It's always been about getting clean and getting to bed. Also, by the time my dc are 5, they are taking showers.

I guess I'm wondering if this is something you want to do to be a fun mom? In that case do whatever works even if that includes swimsuits.

However, if this is part of their regular bathtime, then I'd avoid the mess and work and just stick them in the shower - faster and easier.

HTH - Amy

I think "Newbie" was just saying that following your plan would be no "weirder" than letting the kids play in a wading pool together -- sort of an indoor version of that.

I remember a couple of special "fun" swim-suit baths with my brother after my mother had deemed it no longer decent for us to bathe together. They weren't our every day method of bathing, but they were a fun special treat -- especially on a rainy day or some other time when we were getting antsy but for some reason needed to stay in the house. Lots of splashing and giggling and having a good time.

I do think it would probably be more trouble than it's worth for every day clean-up, but as a special "isn't our mom extra cool" treat? Go for it! Spread out a towel next to the tub (they *will* splash more than usual), throw in a pail and a shovel if you have 'em, and let them have a great time... It's a beach in the bathroom! :)

we are all about fun during bathtime at my house - it totally relaxes my kids and brings them down if they are hyper and excited at the end of the day. We don't have a long bath every night but it's frequent for me to let them take a bath for 20-30 minutes (each). I put the youngest 2 in together but the older 2 each take their bath alone (or sometimes with the baby). I have all boys though.....I don't think it's weird with the swimsuits on if that sounds fun to you!

I'm an only child, but I do remember my mom letting me play in the tub during the summers, before air conditioning, (yup, I'm *THAT* old :eek: ). The only thing that bugged me was, as an only, I had to sing constantly so mom could hear/know that I was ok.

I guess I'm wondering if this is something you want to do to be a fun mom? In that case do whatever works even if that includes swimsuits.

Do you mean something she wants to do to let her kids do to have fun? :confused: because the way you phrased it sounds kind of derogatory. Like, she wants the kids to like her because she is such a "fun mom!"

My kids always have fun in the bath, they get clean plus they stay occupied while I do the dishes and have a cup of tea. They come out of the bath, pj's on and story time! Win win :)

However, if this is part of their regular bathtime, then I'd avoid the mess and work and just stick them in the shower - faster and easier.

HTH - Amy

Oh, gosh. No way would I do that for regular bath time. I'm not even expecting them to get clean. I just don't want to try to do the big pool w/ 2 dc + baby by myself, &...it just sounds fun. I expect some mess, but they're big enough to clean that up themselves. (I think!)

I'm an only child, but I do remember my mom letting me play in the tub during the summers, before air conditioning, (yup, I'm *THAT* old :eek: ). The only thing that bugged me was, as an only, I had to sing constantly so mom could hear/know that I was ok.

This made me smile! My oldest dd talks or sings nonstop (by her own choice). If she went quiet in the tub, I'd be there in a heartbeat! ;) I think she'd be thrilled if I asked her to sing constantly.

About the original question, I don't think it is weird at all. I agree that it is no different than letting them be in the pool together. Have fun!

My 3 younger dc love to take a bath together. We also have to wear bathing suits now since they're older. Dh installed a tv in the bath for me since it's my nightly get-away so they LOVE to get in there and watch cartoons. Today it was raining so they got in, filled it up, watched cartoons,and I served them hot chocolate with whipped cream. They stayed in there for 2 hours! It's my master bath so I was there in the room with them, but it was so cute just to see them all so excited to sit there, watch tv, play "mean barbie" and army man. That's when barbie isn't so sweet anymore! We've got a new spin on Barbie over here at my house!

Thanks abbeyej. Its 103 outside and I am ready to jump in tub with suit and drink.

Woo hoo.

Jet

It is 116 here in Woodland Hills so consider yourself fortunate :)

Please forgive the high-jack :001_huh:

Bill (is there room in that tub?)

My dd and ds still play in the tub together (in swimsuits) with their entourage of play dragons, knights, and polly pockets. I just have them leave the door open, and make sure everything stays "appropriate". These days are numbered as they are growing up so fast! It makes me sad! Soon I will have to be content to wait for grandbabies to paddle in my tub. :)

Enjoy those kids!

Cindy

This made me smile! My oldest dd talks or sings nonstop (by her own choice). If she went quiet in the tub, I'd be there in a heartbeat! ;)

When my sister was a preschooler, my mom would take her in the shower (a large walk-in) with her, and then when she was finished, she'd leave the water on just a trickle, and my sister would stay in there talking nonstop with an array of small plastic figures. She would stay in there for hours, talking and talking and talking and... lol.

Oh, gosh. No way would I do that for regular bath time. I'm not even expecting them to get clean. I just don't want to try to do the big pool w/ 2 dc + baby by myself, &...it just sounds fun. I expect some mess, but they're big enough to clean that up themselves. (I think!)

:lol: hmmm... this is interesting - I guess I'm the only one who lets my kids take a bath together for regular bath time. It's funny, they laugh and play and splash (but really not much out of the tub that they can't clean themselves) wash themselves with washcloths, I wash their hair but they love bath time and they get clean! They also manage all that with very little mess.

Funny, I thought that's how all siblings bathed. I'm guessing mine will want their bathing suits on in another year. It's funny because they don't change in front of each other and definitely won't use the bathroom in each others presence but bath time I don't think they even really notice or think about it. There are plenty of toys and buckets and bubbles so they aren't really looking at each other but I guess those days are numbered.

:lol: hmmm... this is interesting - I guess I'm the only one who lets my kids take a bath together for regular bath time. It's funny, they laugh and play and splash (but really not much out of the tub that they can't clean themselves) wash themselves with washcloths, I wash their hair but they love bath time and they get clean! They also manage all that with very little mess.

Funny, I thought that's how all siblings bathed. I'm guessing mine will want their bathing suits on in another year. It's funny because they don't change in front of each other and definitely won't use the bathroom in each others presence but bath time I don't think they even really notice or think about it. There are plenty of toys and buckets and bubbles so they aren't really looking at each other but I guess those days are numbered.

I bathed with my brothers till I was like 8 or 9! I remember wanting to take showers like a grown-up after that. I guess it was not thought of as odd back then. I would think my mother would have seen separate baths as a waste of water. If suites make you more comfortable, go for it.

Do you mean something she wants to do to let her kids do to have fun? :confused: because the way you phrased it sounds kind of derogatory. Like, she wants the kids to like her because she is such a "fun mom!"QUOTE]

Huh? Not sure I understand how what I said could be mistaken as derogatory.:confused:

I'm just wondering if this is a "fun thing" or actual "bath time". I don't think anything I said alluded to the fact that I want her kids to like her on account of how she chooses to bathe them. Oh well, such is the beauty of internet forum communication.

I think it's fine, but that's because mine still take baths together sometimes. They don't like showers, I would love if they took showers, but then I either have to take one with, or stand there & get soaked while I try & help. So.... how old is too old to take baths together????

Huh? Not sure I understand how what I said could be mistaken as derogatory.:confused:

I'm just wondering if this is a "fun thing" or actual "bath time". I don't think anything I said alluded to the fact that I want her kids to like her on account of how she chooses to bathe them. Oh well, such is the beauty of internet forum communication.

:lol: I really don't know why that just struck me that way! I can see exactly what you meant now but just something about the way I read "something you want to do to be a fun mom" in the wrong way :banghead: <--- me, not you!!!

sorry!:blushing:

We are all about bath time fun. Now do you have the crayola bath crayons, the paints, and the crayola tablets to make the water some fun colors? We love all of these things.

Now if your children are comfortable with it and you and your dh are also, go for it. It is no one else business. JMO They are your children and you know what is best for them.

My boys have taken a bath together for a LONG time.......they don't now though because they both prefer showers and they are getting a little old for it (IMO). They stopped bathing together maybe 2 years ago now.