Menu

does anyone really have their kids memorize the Declaration of Independence?

I was just going through the memory work section of WTM (old edition) and it suggested kids as young as 4th (and possibly 3rd) memorize the whole Declaration of Independence. Does anyone do this, and what are the benefits? We do a lot of poems and Bible memory work, but haven't really memorized anything else.

Thanks,

I had hoped to in 4th grade, but we ended up just doing the preamble up to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." We also memorized the subject of each of the constitutional amendments, but didn't do it word-for-word. Maybe we'll do the whole DoI next time around.

Good luck!:patriot:

My mom taught us part of the preamble by song and I can still recite it word for word (I think!)

We hold these truths to be self-evident,

that all men are created equal,

that they are endowed by their creator,

with certain analienable rights,

and among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I wish I had learned more.

What a great idea!

I started another thread this morning about some great U.S. History freebies from ReadOutLoud.com. You'll find the details in my other post, but basically they are giving away audible downloads of the U.S. founding documents through July 4th. It might be worth it to check it out.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My twins, age 7, memorized the Gettysburd Address in entirety for their recitation class in co-op. Started in January- took 14 weeks as part of 1 hr long class.

Thought the teacher was nuts in january, realized she was brilliant in June! 2 entire classes of antsy 6-8 yr olds were able to memorize it. We were amazed.

I am a recitation convert!

and it was virtually painless.

• 11 months later...
Guest ccitrini

Yes, we all learned the entire Preamble to the Declaration of Independence. Even I learned it. If you chant it aloud a couple of days a week, it won't take long to get it memorized.

Dd memorized a few sentences (think those preamble words that everyone knows). First she used it as copywork, then I asked her to recite it until she had it memorized.

I'll tell you the benefit: she thinks about what the words means and she recognizes them (and remembers what the Declaration of Independence is) when she sees them in writing. It's a wonderful "hook" for her current and future knowledge of early American history. And it was easy!

I started another thread this morning about some great U.S. History freebies from ReadOutLoud.com. You'll find the details in my other post, but basically they are giving away audible downloads of the U.S. founding documents through July 4th. It might be worth it to check it out.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I didn't find your specific post

Blessings,

Lucinda

Could you link to your post please? Also, I tried readoutloud.com and it appears to be a referral page, not a real website that has information?