Menu

What is the purpose of literature study?

My DD is heading into high school this year. This will be my first experience home schooling high school. She was not home schooled until November of 2011 and I had not really thought ahead to high school much at this point because my other dc are only 8 and 5.

In my planning/researching, I see that most English curricula for high school focus on literature. My questions is, what is the purpose of studying literature in this way? I personally am not seeing the "life" benefit in this skill and am curious as to what I am missing. I am also curious, what the goal is at the end of the study so that I can choose a curriculum that will help us best meet that goal.

I know I did this coursework in high school, however, I am struggling to find the purpose. I can't seem to think of how I have utilized this skill in my daily life. I am hoping that someone can point out to me the reasons why this study is important so that I can "get it" and feel the need to teach it with enthusiasm rather than looking at it as "busy work".

I know I must be missing something, so please enlighten me!!

Thanks!

What English are you looking at? I know some people have complained about PS or HS lacking in Elementary English. I think it totally depends on the situation. My Father's World has a suggested book to use for English if a student has not had sufficient teaching / experience up to High School.

I am using Grammar Songs for all of our kids to listen to, and make a notebook for English grammar.

I like to choose literature seperate from English, and neither Omnibus nor TOG have English Grammar for upper levels so it has to be added.

I ordered a Grammar book on Amazon and saw the writing version of it on CBD today. I can't remember the title, but it has a cat on the cover and looks good and low priced as well.

If your dd has learned sufficient English Grammar up to this point, it is up to you to pick : there are several grammar books to choose from that don't require literature so you have that option. Our Mother Tongue is what I am going to use for 10th grade, and we have Basic Winston Grammar to use this summer and in the Fall.

I think Literature is wonderful, but the more I read, the more I believe Grammar has to be taught to understand English as well as other languages, and to be a decent speaker or writer.:001_smile:

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

Literature itself, like any art, is not a skill to be used in everyday life. Aspects of are. By reading well written works a child can learn grammar, how to comprehend complex ideas, and how to communicate their ideas to others.

On a deeper level literature teaches our children that no matter age, sex, social status, country, no matter even what century one lives in, we are all apart of one family, humanity. We all have the same emotions and similar challenges to meet. Literature connects us all together. Life is richer when viewed as a whole rather than each of us wandering through the chaos alone.

Edited by shann

I have to admit to being quite surprised by this question. Literature is the one subject whose value to an adult I've never seen questioned before. For myself, studying literature taught me to read for meaning. This is a skill I use everyday. It doesn't matter if I'm reading your post, an email, some directions or a novel. I read a lot. Each time I read, I look at the words, the meaning, the tone and try to understand what is meant as well as what is said.

Additionally, because I am reasonably well read, when reference to classic literature come up in other reading or in conversation, I understand and can participate.

I thought each poster above made good points and I agree with all of them. From reading good books we learn grammar and our own writing can improve. We learn about our culture, history and humanity. Reading is also a great joy for many people and I want my children to experience the joy of great literature.

I don't have high school kids, but I was one once. The study of literature helps make you a whole, thinking person, not just a productive cog in the social machine.

:iagree:

But can also add:

Literature gives us insight into how people in different time periods thought. It shows us that some of our assumptions about how life is, how civilization should be, etc. are not true for others and might even be deficit.

It helps us walk in someone else's shoes which helps us to understand those around us.

Learning to analyze literature uses the same skills that you need to analyze almost any argument presented to you whether that's in a thirty second advertisement or a political speech. It helps you gain insight into what the author of those messages is trying to convey.

For students going on to college it is expected.

I have to admit to being quite surprised by this question. Literature is the one subject whose value to an adult I've never seen questioned before. .

You may be less surprised if you look closely and see that this odd question is a visitor's first post.

Smells like troll.

First, just because it is my first post does not make me a troll!

Secondly, I guess my thoughts didn't come across through my words properly.

I was by no means saying that we should not read good literature. I was asking the purpose of an in depth study of literature. I was looking for the reasons to pull apart the literature and analyze it, rather than just read and discuss it.

After things have been pointed out, I imagine that the skills I have used from this coursework are now natural to me and I may not even realize where I learned them.

I did not enjoy literature study in public high school. I often took things in the literature different from what my teacher was telling me. I did not always see where someone (besides the author) was able to tell me what the story meant. I felt that I should be able to draw my own conclusions.

I assume this is why I am wrestling with this dilemma. It look me many years after that to be able to enjoy a good classic book because I did not have to worry about "getting it wrong". I could read it, enjoy it and get my own message from it.

This was my question. What is the benefit to analyzing literature as opposed to just reading and discussing?

I apologize for my odd question. I hope that I have clarified myself. I was in no way trying to offend anyone.

Secondly, I guess my thoughts didn't come across through my words properly.

I was by no means saying that we should not read good literature. I was asking the purpose of an in depth study of literature. I was looking for the reasons to pull apart the literature and analyze it, rather than just read and discuss it.

After things have been pointed out, I imagine that the skills I have used from this coursework are now natural to me and I may not even realize where I learned them.

I did not enjoy literature study in public high school. I often took things in the literature different from what my teacher was telling me. I did not always see where someone (besides the author) was able to tell me what the story meant. I felt that I should be able to draw my own conclusions.

I assume this is why I am wrestling with this dilemma. It look me many years after that to be able to enjoy a good classic book because I did not have to worry about "getting it wrong". I could read it, enjoy it and get my own message from it.

This was my question. What is the benefit to analyzing literature as opposed to just reading and discussing?

I apologize for my odd question. I hope that I have clarified myself. I was in no way trying to offend anyone.

You know, I don't think you have to analyze it, if you have bad memories of that. I have several families near me whose homeschools spend tons of time in literature, but not necessarily analyzing anything. They are big Carol Seid fans. http://blog.carolejoyseid.com/

My particular kids need a little help seeing below the surface of a book. However, I never did. I think it depends on your student, and on your personal goals. Your point about killing a love of literature is a real one, too. As is the point about whose conclusions are "right." I was apalled when I had a copy of Alice in Wonderland with a forward alleging it was all symbolism of a bedroom nature. We don't need that skewing our enjoyment of a story at our house :tongue_smilie:

<snip>

<snip>

It sounds like to me, this is your opportunity to do a better job than what the ps did with you! There is no reason to skip analysis. There is also no reason to treat someone else's opinion as more valid than your own or your child's either. Read, discuss, read other's analysis, discuss why you agree or disagree. Teach your dc to back up their argument well.

Don't let your poor experience cloud your vision. Instead learn from it and make it great!

Welcome to the board! I think I understand your question. Why analyze literature rather than simply enjoy it? Why look for meaning that may or may not be there? I have often wondered the same thing... and I have a degree in English!

When I was a senior in college, my roommate (another English major) took a course in which students read contemporary works by local authors. After reading and analyzing the works, the class invited the authors to visit to discuss further. My friend told me that week after week, the same thing occurred: the authors were surprised to be told that they had used a great deal of symbolism, had alluded to other works, etc. The authors themselves had simply written good stories. The readers were the ones who attributed meaning.

When I heard all this, I felt vindicated! I had always despised the dissection of good literature, and hearing that at least some of the authors didn't intend all the things attributed to them was a relief to me. However, it didn't change the fact that I had to be able to dissect the works in order to write papers and earn good grades. Our children will face that same situation when they go to college, and it's our job to prepare them for it.

How should we do that? You'll find a lot of answers to that question. Some go for a very detailed, in-depth analysis of a few works each year. I don't do it that way. :) My oldest dc is in 9th this year. We read a lot of works, and we discuss literary techniques, allusions we think we see, etc., but we don't spend so much time analyzing that the student will never want to read the works again. I point out things I think are important, and we listen to lectures on the various works to get the opinions of "professionals." The student writes short papers on some of the works, but not all. I'm starting to use more detailed lectures and to ask for more in the discussion, because I know that will be needed in college. However, I'm not requiring that all at once. I've found that reviewing works covered earlier in the year is a great way to delve into more analysis without overwhelming my student. Other students would forget all the details, so my method wouldn't work for them. You have to look at your student and decide the best approach.

You may want to listen to SWB's lecture on literary analysis. You can find it on the Peace Hill Press site linked at the top. She is very helpful.

Edited by klmama
spelling

Secondly, I guess my thoughts didn't come across through my words properly..

Sorry for assuming - there have been quite a few first-question-posters with decidedly off, controversial questions. I apologize.

Literature itself, like any art, is not a skill to be used in everyday life. Aspects of are. By reading well written works a child can learn grammar, how to comprehend complex ideas, and how to communicate their ideas to others.

On a deeper level literature teaches our children that no matter age, sex, social status, country, no matter even what century one lives in, we are all apart of one family, humanity. We all have the same emotions and similar challenges to meet. Literature connects us all together. Life is richer when viewed as a whole rather than each of us wondering through the chaos alone.

:iagree: Great post. I would add that good literature can also help us to open a window of understanding on our own life struggles and give us a way to articulate who we are becoming. It provides inspiration to be a better person, live a better life, or avoid living a worse one. It lights a path through the difficulties of life.

ETA: I just finished reading the other responses. I think that you can explore literature and take a lot away from it without dissecting it to death. I find some people dissect it to such an unnatural level that they kill the story. But it is very valuable to learn to read between the lines to find a deeper message; I think that helps make a deeper person. It's also valuable to learn how to understand and express complex ideas, and literature is like a brain gym for those skills.

Edited by GingerPoppy

Good literature (aka "Classics") is a conversation of ideas between the author and the reader that persists through the ages and through the generations. It speaks of the state of mankind, both good and bad, and lets us reflect on it and apply our findings to ourselves. Sometimes (many times, actually) these lofty ideas are veiled behind plot, and it is up to the reader to learn how to pull back that veil - something with which the untrained mind has difficulty. I cannot imagine a quality education without delving into a course of study of literature to learn how to unveil the greatest conversation of all time.

Oooh, this is good, too. :D

First, I am sorry you had a bad experience with lit analysis. It always makes me sad to hear that someone's love of reading has been even a little bit soured.

Second, sorry if my first post did not address your actually question. I tend to get my rant on when I feel like someone questions the value of lit lol :tongue_smilie:

So imo, the purpose of lit analysis would be to teach the student how to see beyond the surface. Just like math, well taught math anyway, every book is a puzzle and can be understood at a conceptual level.

There is no "right" answer to what the book is about. Just as there is no right way to see the color blue. We each see it differently depending on our point of view. Lit interpretation from the reader's point of view is called reader response and it is just as valid as any other school of lit theory. We can also strive to find in the book the author's intent. But I don't think we can ever find the author's intent untainted by our own response.

Anyway, before I go off on a tangent here lol, a good lit teacher should help the student see below the surface of the story. The student should be encouraged to form their own opinion and, most importantly imo, feel confident in their interpretation because they can articulate WHY that is their opinion.

Many grown adults find it almost impossible to form an independent opinion, explain it to others, and back it up with evidence. (Backing it up does not mean proving that it is the only opinion mind.) Lit analysis teaches these skills.

If you really want to put your dd above and beyond what many people are capable of, and prep her for college, have her eventually write her lit analysis in an essay. If you are worried about dampening her love of reading stick to essays on non-fiction. Being able to write one's opinions in a well structured, interesting, and convincing way is sadly a rare skill today and will put her ahead of the pack.

Sorry for assuming - there have been quite a few first-question-posters with decidedly off, controversial questions. I apologize.

Thank you for your apology. It means a lot.

It sounds like to me, this is your opportunity to do a better job than what the ps did with you! There is no reason to skip analysis. There is also no reason to treat someone else's opinion as more valid than your own or your child's either. Read, discuss, read other's analysis, discuss why you agree or disagree. Teach your dc to back up their argument well.

Don't let your poor experience cloud your vision. Instead learn from it and make it great!

Very good point to not let my experience cloud my judgement. Thank you!

Welcome to the board! I think I understand your question. Why analyze literature rather than simply enjoy it? Why look for meaning that may or may not be there? I have often wondered the same thing... and I have a degree in English!

When I was a senior in college, my roommate (another English major) took a course in which students read contemporary works by local authors. After reading and analyzing the works, the class invited the authors to visit to discuss further. My friend told me that week after week, the same thing occurred: the authors were surprised to be told that they had used a great deal of symbolism, had alluded to other works, etc. The authors themselves had simply written good stories. The readers were the ones who attributed meaning.

When I heard all this, I felt vindicated! I had always despised the dissection of good literature, and hearing that at least some of the authors didn't intend all the things attributed to them was a relief to me. However, it didn't change the fact that I had to be able to dissect the works in order to write papers and earn good grades. Our children will face that same situation when they go to college, and it's our job to prepare them for it.

How should we do that? You'll find a lot of answers to that question. Some go for a very detailed, in-depth analysis of a few works each year. I don't do it that way. :) My oldest dc is in 9th this year. We read a lot of works, and we discuss literary techniques, allusions we think we see, etc., but we don't spend so much time analyzing that the student will never want to read the works again. I point out things I think are important, and we listen to lectures on the various works to get the opinions of "professionals." The student writes short papers on some of the works, but not all. I'm starting to use more detailed lectures and to ask for more in the discussion, because I know that will be needed in college. However, I'm not requiring that all at once. I've found that reviewing works covered earlier in the year is a great way to delve into more analysis without overwhelming my student. Other students would forget all the details, so my method wouldn't work for them. You have to look at your student and decide the best approach.

You may want to listen to SWB's lecture on literary analysis. You can find it on the Peace Hill Press site linked at the top. She is very helpful.

Yes, you understood what I was trying to say! Thank you for your input as well.

Thank you all for helping me to see this issue from a different perspective (which is exactly what I was looking for). I am sorry that I didn't realize sooner that just like with everything else in the home school world, I don't have to do literature like I was taught. I can tweak it to be our own.

Any suggestions on programs/guides, etc. that we can use as we begin this journey together would be appreciated!

First, I am sorry you had a bad experience with lit analysis. It always makes me sad to hear that someone's love of reading has been even a little bit soured.

Second, sorry if my first post did not address your actually question. I tend to get my rant on when I feel like someone questions the value of lit lol :tongue_smilie:

So imo, the purpose of lit analysis would be to teach the student how to see beyond the surface. Just like math, well taught math anyway, every book is a puzzle and can be understood at a conceptual level.

There is no "right" answer to what the book is about. Just as there is no right way to see the color blue. We each see it differently depending on our point of view. Lit interpretation from the reader's point of view is called reader response and it is just as valid as any other school of lit theory. We can also strive to find in the book the author's intent. But I don't think we can ever find the author's intent untainted by our own response.

Anyway, before I go off on a tangent here lol, a good lit teacher should help the student see below the surface of the story. The student should be encouraged to form their own opinion and, most importantly imo, feel confident in their interpretation because they can articulate WHY that is their opinion.

Many grown adults find it almost impossible to form an independent opinion, explain it to others, and back it up with evidence. (Backing it up does not mean proving that it is the only opinion mind.) Lit analysis teaches these skills.

If you really want to put your dd above and beyond what many people are capable of, and prep her for college, have her eventually write her lit analysis in an essay. If you are worried about dampening her love of reading stick to essays on non-fiction. Being able to write one's opinions in a well structured, interesting, and convincing way is sadly a rare skill today and will put her ahead of the pack.

Very good points! I totally agree with this (bolded), thank you for reminding me to add that as one of our high school goals.

I think there is a lot of value to the idea that a book should be read for what it is. It is quite possible to over attribute intent or to read a work as a political or social commentary when it wasn't primarily written as one.

On the other hand, students aren't always ready to put the work into the historical and cultural context in which it was written. Just as an example, I'm getting ready to lead a reading and discussion of Much Ado About Nothing. One commentary I was reading took great effort to discuss the play within the context of the expectations of a courtier, using Castiglione's Book of the Courtier as a reference. I found this to be quite helpful.

Similarly, I think that when reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, you should be familiar with the issue of slavery as it existed when the book was written. That doesn't mean that you would get nothing out of reading it without that background. Only that I think you'll get more if you understand that the Ohio river divided slave and free territory, but that the Fugitive Slave Act required authorities in free states to take positive action to return escaped slaves.

Also, while I think that high schoolers are generally equipped to understand all of the words that they read, they might not be ready to understand nuance or the consequence of the words as they are all put together. There can be a positive growth as a reader if you can go through some good dialogue with other people about a book.

So there is over analysis. But I think there can also be healthy contextualizing and developing of reader skills.

I think there is a lot of value to the idea that a book should be read for what it is. It is quite possible to over attribute intent or to read a work as a political or social commentary when it wasn't primarily written as one.

On the other hand, students aren't always ready to put the work into the historical and cultural context in which it was written. Just as an example, I'm getting ready to lead a reading and discussion of Much Ado About Nothing. One commentary I was reading took great effort to discuss the play within the context of the expectations of a courtier, using Castiglione's Book of the Courtier as a reference. I found this to be quite helpful.

Similarly, I think that when reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, you should be familiar with the issue of slavery as it existed when the book was written. That doesn't mean that you would get nothing out of reading it without that background. Only that I think you'll get more if you understand that the Ohio river divided slave and free territory, but that the Fugitive Slave Act required authorities in free states to take positive action to return escaped slaves.

Also, while I think that high schoolers are generally equipped to understand all of the words that they read, they might not be ready to understand nuance or the consequence of the words as they are all put together. There can be a positive growth as a reader if you can go through some good dialogue with other people about a book.

So there is over analysis. But I think there can also be healthy contextualizing and developing of reader skills.

I completely agree. We do almost all our literature in historical context, but I didn't mention that. It does make huge difference. My oldest is a history buff and is quick to notice connections between the culture of the day and the events of the story, as well as relationships between the current work and others alluded to in the text. My next is very analytical and notices minute details that affect the action and relationships, but does not have as good a grasp on history or on other how other literature may have influenced the author. When we discuss a work together, they learn a great deal from each other.

Any suggestions on programs/guides, etc. that we can use as we begin this journey together would be appreciated!

You might find Deconstructing Penguins by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone to be a worthwhile read. It is about literature analysis with younger children. It could be a worthwhile introduction for you.

Also, How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines is a worthwhile read.

Regards,

Kareni

I just ran across Reading Roadmaps. It is a basic scope and sequence with ideas for analysis, discussions, papers and a guide for grading. There are lists of suggested books with information about the plot, themes, conflicts, and other literary devices, broken down by school year.

Thank you all for the suggestions. They all look promising.

I have put "How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines" on hold at my library. They didn't have the other one, so I will start here.

Reading Roadmaps also looks interesting and I will look into it further.

Thanks again!

Former English major here. There are many purposes.

--Cultural literacy.

--A better understanding of history. Literature is a window to thoughts, ideas, philosophies, etc.

--Philosophical maturity.

--You become a better writer by reading and analyzing good writing.

--Richer vocabulary.

--Analytical skills. The process of text analysis--scanning text for clues to a larger idea, choosing bits of text to support a point--has applications in many settings.

April, as it was once my job to read students' literary analysis papers, I can empathize with your question. I hated writing them in high school, and even in college it was a big pain in the neck--even though I 'did well' in it and was a lit major. I like stories, not sucking all the joy out of the story by writing an eight-page paper on a five-line poem.

At the same time, analysis is analysis. Understanding that arguments must have support, that stories are about ideas, that words have meanings --specific meanings, symbolic meanings, historically contextualized meanings-- will help your student so much in his or her writing across ALL subjects. That's why my future English major and my future chemistry major get the same literary analysis training from me.

And, I consider it my gift to their college instructors. Having read a few hundred too many papers full of nonsense in my own work, I don't want my kids adding to another instructor's agony ;)

You should draw your own conclusions -- provided that they're adequately supported by the evidence in the text.

Most of my students go wrong when they have insufficient evidence to prove a point they're making, or when they fail to consider a boatload of other evidence to the contrary. For example, one time in a class on poetry, we were looking at song lyrics (Okay, okay, I was a new teacher...cut me slack, folks...), specifically the Roger Waters tune "Mother." Many students interpreted the song as being a song about a loving and happy relationship between a mother and a son -- utterly disregarding basically half the song. In that case, their interpretations aren't supported by evidence.

I don't know if that was your case in your literature classes or not. When my students come up with off-the-wall interpretations, my typical response is to ask them why they think so. About ninety percent of the time, that leads them to either a) discover that there's insufficient evidence, or b) suggest something really new and cool we haven't thought of before. Either way, it's all good.

Former English major here. There are many purposes.

--Cultural literacy.

--A better understanding of history. Literature is a window to thoughts, ideas, philosophies, etc.

--Philosophical maturity.

--You become a better writer by reading and analyzing good writing.

--Richer vocabulary.

--Analytical skills. The process of text analysis--scanning text for clues to a larger idea, choosing bits of text to support a point--has applications in many settings.

Just recently I met a woman who is a lawyer. She said that her undergrad English degree was ideal preparation for law school, because you are constantly reading texts, analyzing texts, and writing arguments. Which is exactly what you do in law school.

April, if you have some time open, listen to this talk by Dr. Taylor. He speaks about the eternal truths found in great literature and their very practical application in a persons life. Good stuff.

http://circeinstitute.com/2012/03/podcast-3112-dr-james-taylor/

that was an excellent talk.

I have this to add-

"Philosophy makes literature clear, literature makes philosophy real. Philosophy shows essences, literature shows existence. Philosophy shows meaning, literature shows life." Peter Kreeft, p22 The Philosophy of Tolkien.

And a few paragraphs later he says,

"Literature incarnates philosophy. You can actually see fate when you read Oedipus Rex. You actually hear nihilism when you read Waiting for Godot. As the acts of the body are the acts of the person, as a smile does not merely express happiness (the nine-letter word does that) but actually contains it, so literate actually contains or incarnates philosophical truths (or falsehoods).

All literature incarnates some philosophy. This all literature teaches. In allegory, the philosophy is taught by the conscious and calculating part of the mind, while in great literature it is done by the unconscious and contemplative part of the mind, which is deeper and wiser and has more power to persuade and move the reader. Allegory engages only the mind, while great literature person: for allegory comes from only the mind, while great literature comes from the whole person.

Literature not only incarnates a philosophy: it also tests it by verifying it or falsifying it. One way literature tests philosophy is by putting different philosophies into the laboratory of life, incarnating them in different characters and then seeing what happens. Life does exactly the same thing. Literature also tests philosophy in a more fundamental way. It can be expressed by this rule: a philosophy that cannot be translated into a good story cannot be a good philosophy."

Peter Kreeft, p22-23 The Philosophy of Tolkien

that was an excellent talk.

I have this to add-

"Philosophy makes literature clear, literature makes philosophy real. Philosophy shows essences, literature shows existence. Philosophy shows meaning, literature shows life." Peter Kreeft, p22 The Philosophy of Tolkien.

And a few paragraphs later he says,

"Literature incarnates philosophy. You can actually see fate when you read Oedipus Rex. You actually hear nihilism when you read Waiting for Godot. As the acts of the body are the acts of the person, as a smile does not merely express happiness (the nine-letter word does that) but actually contains it, so literate actually contains or incarnates philosophical truths (or falsehoods).

All literature incarnates some philosophy. This all literature teaches. In allegory, the philosophy is taught by the conscious and calculating part of the mind, while in great literature it is done by the unconscious and contemplative part of the mind, which is deeper and wiser and has more power to persuade and move the reader. Allegory engages only the mind, while great literature person: for allegory comes from only the mind, while great literature comes from the whole person.

Literature not only incarnates a philosophy: it also tests it by verifying it or falsifying it. One way literature tests philosophy is by putting different philosophies into the laboratory of life, incarnating them in different characters and then seeing what happens. Life does exactly the same thing. Literature also tests philosophy in a more fundamental way. It can be expressed by this rule: a philosophy that cannot be translated into a good story cannot be a good philosophy."

Peter Kreeft, p22-23 The Philosophy of Tolkien

Oh, wonderful!

I'm not sure why I'm even responding to this thread, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I do know that I had the same high school experience as you and came away with the same feelings. Now I enjoy literature and feel that I am on the verge of learning enough to begin to know how to teach it well. I also know that my graduated son loves to read and loved much of the literature we read together and we didn't do much in the way of analysis. I hope to maintain that, while doing a better job of digging deeper.

I am learning a lot from Windows to the World. We haven't finished all of it, but so far it teaches you to look for things that are there and to think about how the author created this or that effect. It isn't all there is to literature study, but there is a lot to learn if you just look for what is in the text. I think it is also important to look at literature from the philosophical perspective.

OP I feel your pain. I am an avid reader yet I didn't read even one of the required books in high school because the class work would just kill all the joy. I was determined not to make my children suffer the same way so we don't really do much literary analysis but my oldest reads a ton of Classics and every other thing she can get her hands on.

The best thing we have done this year is an online literature discussion class ( http://www.oaopp.com/JH-101 ). The facilitator discusses the story the students contribute either by typing in the chat box or by speaking in the microphone when the facilitator calls on them. They discuss themes and make a story chart or sometimes two depending on what the class deems the protagonist, the main conflict and theme of the story. The class is given the oppourtunity to vote in polls. Every viewpont is treated with respect and they teach that there can be different story charts for the same book depending on what a person feels the main conflict and themes are for the book.