Menu

Maybe I could get a job picking curricula for others

:D

We are going to put the kids into ps next year. But this is the time of year when I usually pick out stuff for next year. I am going through withdrawals! I actually went on the SL site last night and picked things out that I would use if I were hs'ing next year. Weird, I know!

Anyone need help picking out curricula? :auto:

I need some decent, secular science curricula for next year. Earth science, astronomy, or biology. I'm supposed to do earth science, but will take what I can get. I work and I'm tired of looking for something nonreligious. Ideas? Oh, for middle/high school. My almost 12 yo is advanced. Hunt away, Peach!

Me!!!! I just keep spinning my wheels! I have HOD LHFHG and don't really like it. Thinking about MFW K but just can't commit. I actually think a would like unit studies so my pre-k'er could tag along. IDK I just wish a big box of exactly what I want would land on my doorstep :)

Oh yes! Would you please? I know what I have to do, but I don't want to!!! I am trying to combine my rising 6th grader with my 1st grader using Story of the World - Ancients. Now, I need to pick the books to go along with it for both of them. I'd also appreciate it if you'd plan all the projects and make lists of all supplies needed. Oh - and a 35 week 4 day/week schedule would be great. Thanks!

I would love it if you could have it done in 48 hours please. Oh - and if you'd do the shopping too. That'd be great!

And, when you're done with that, please, pretty please work out my 11th graders schedule? I have the books picked out, so that shouldn't take you as long.

:lol:

Oh yes! Would you please? I know what I have to do, but I don't want to!!! I am trying to combine my rising 6th grader with my 1st grader using Story of the World - Ancients. Now, I need to pick the books to go along with it for both of them. I'd also appreciate it if you'd plan all the projects and make lists of all supplies needed. Oh - and a 35 week 4 day/week schedule would be great. Thanks!

I would love it if you could have it done in 48 hours please. Oh - and if you'd do the shopping too. That'd be great!

And, when you're done with that, please, pretty please work out my 11th graders schedule? I have the books picked out, so that shouldn't take you as long.

Have you looked at Easy Classical's history guides?

Hmmm, well that certainly is a challenge. I really think there should be more options for secular science curricula!

I did find Holt Science & Technology Earth Science at Rainbow Resource. It is pretty much a ps curriculum, though. There are also free homeschool lesson plans available here, which look really good. There are also some resources from Holt here.

Another option is CPO Middle School Earth Science. There is a nice review of it here, along with some ideas for less costly lab materials.

HTH a little! :001_smile:

ETA: I should have quoted, but this was to Kalah.

Me!!!! I just keep spinning my wheels! I have HOD LHFHG and don't really like it. Thinking about MFW K but just can't commit. I actually think a would like unit studies so my pre-k'er could tag along. IDK I just wish a big box of exactly what I want would land on my doorstep :)

If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd do [/url]Five in a Row. We did Sonlight for K and it was great, too!

I may be out of my league with this one! :D

I could KISS you!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. There are books that are perfect for my younger as well as for my older one. AND, I already own a lot of these books.

Seriously - you just saved me SO much time!

You are very welcome, and I'm sure a great kisser :tongue_smilie:

:D

Two unit study approaches that you might like are Heart of Dakota and Konos. If you try Konos, DON"T get the big yellow, green, red books. Choose one of the character studies that break out activities by the week, orderliness, attentiveness ...

I need some decent, secular science curricula for next year. Earth science, astronomy, or biology. I'm supposed to do earth science, but will take what I can get. I work and I'm tired of looking for something nonreligious. Ideas? Oh, for middle/high school. My almost 12 yo is advanced. Hunt away, Peach!

Have you looked at ck12.org? They have middle/high school level science. There have been a few posts on the high school board, with some decent feedback from the science people. Best part. Free!

If that doesn't work I have an Earth Science book called The Good Earth that I plan to use next year. It's an entry level college text, but not as difficult as something like Tarbuck's. I think an advanced 12 year old could read it well.

So... I'm new to homeschooling, and next year my DS will be in first grade. We started afterschooling this year, and have learned a bit about his learning style. We tried Math Mammoth and that resulted in a three-month "I hate math"-fest. It wasn't the curriculum's fault, he just isn't a fan of worksheets. And I so wanted him to like worksheets...

So my humble request is to ask: what would you recommend for curriculum for a bright first grader who hates worksheets, is almost done with OPGTTR, and is also done with SOTW ancients? He is a visual/auditory learner, and loves watching tv (to my dismay, but it is useful). We are non-religious folks.

I've searched curriculum from here to there, and have completely paralyzed myself... Thanks for any thoughts and/or recommendations.

So... I'm new to homeschooling, and next year my DS will be in first grade. We started afterschooling this year, and have learned a bit about his learning style. We tried Math Mammoth and that resulted in a three-month "I hate math"-fest. It wasn't the curriculum's fault, he just isn't a fan of worksheets. And I so wanted him to like worksheets...

So my humble request is to ask: what would you recommend for curriculum for a bright first grader who hates worksheets, is almost done with OPGTTR, and is also done with SOTW ancients? He is a visual/auditory learner, and loves watching tv (to my dismay, but it is useful). We are non-religious folks.

I've searched curriculum from here to there, and have completely paralyzed myself... Thanks for any thoughts and/or recommendations.

Not Peach, but have you looked at RightStart Math? Very little in the way of worksheets, conceptually strong, interactive (auditory), great manipulatives (visual), and math games for practicing facts.

Alrighty, I bet I can stump you lol. I am looking for a US History curriculum that is similar to SOTW. I am combining a 7th, and 6th and a 2nd and K. My 6th grader has dyslexia, so lots of reading is very hard. I do not like MFW, SL will probably be too much reading for her to handle. I do not prefer an uber-religious view. Whatcha got for me?? lol

Alrighty, I bet I can stump you lol. I am looking for a US History curriculum that is similar to SOTW. I am combining a 7th, and 6th and a 2nd and K. My 6th grader has dyslexia, so lots of reading is very hard. I do not like MFW, SL will probably be too much reading for her to handle. I do not prefer an uber-religious view. Whatcha got for me?? lol

Guest Hollow American History

Created to combine 2nd through 6th with suggestions on extending for 7th. Can be used secularly. Plus its free :001_smile:

Ooh, ooh, me!

I am still trying to pick a writing curriculum for ds8 (advanced reader, reluctant writer). We will be using MCT Town level and Megawords 2 to round out our language arts program.

Also, we just finished SOTW4 and want to take a year before starting logic stage history. Ds asked to learn about prehistory. We will start at the big bang and move forward, but I have no idea what materials to use. I think we will read parts of Hawking's A Brief History of Time together as a read aloud and discuss, and there should be a lot of documentaries when we get to the pre-Cambrian, but that's as far as I've gotten. We definitely want secular materials. Whatcha got? :D

Biology: http://www.classiquestscience.com/

Secular, Classical

Cross Curricular: http://www.the-private-eye.com/index.html Haven't done this but always thought the concept looked interesting.... If you are having trouble getting an idea, I found these handouts to be helpful http://www.the-private-eye.com/html/resources/handout.html Oh, and the gallery.

Earth Science, Secular and Free!:

http://www.jason.org/public/whatis/start.aspx (click on "what is jason" to get a feel)

Edited by krisperry

Trail Guide to Learning (from Geomatters folks)

http://curriculum-for-homeschool.com/learning_series/

modify the 3rd grade level for your 2nd grader (I did it mostly as is with a second grader). Buy the middle school supplement for your 7th grader. Let your 6th grader move between the 5th grade and middle school supplement. The Kindy could listen in when interested, color pics, draw with them, and cook....

The Prentice Hall Science Explorer series is amazing! You can pick them up used for a song on Amazon.

The titles are:

From Bacteria to Plants

Animals

Cells and Heredity

Human Biology and Health

Environmental Science

Inside Earth

Earth's Changing Surface

Earth's Waters

Weather and Climate

Astronomy

Chemical Building Blocks

Chemical Interactions

Motion, Forces, and Energy

Electricity and Magnetism

Sound and Light

Ooh, ooh, me!

I am still trying to pick a writing curriculum for ds8 (advanced reader, reluctant writer). We will be using MCT Town level and Megawords 2 to round out our language arts program.

Also, we just finished SOTW4 and want to take a year before starting logic stage history. Ds asked to learn about prehistory. We will start at the big bang and move forward, but I have no idea what materials to use. I think we will read parts of Hawking's A Brief History of Time together as a read aloud and discuss, and there should be a lot of documentaries when we get to the pre-Cambrian, but that's as far as I've gotten. We definitely want secular materials. Whatcha got? :D

This book is on my wishlist. It looks amazing: http://www.amazon.com/Prehistoric-Life-Definitive-Visual-History/dp/0756655730/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331509823&sr=1-1

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread. I just wanted to say that I've been looking at these books, and I have to second this thought. Particularly for the price ($4 including shipping for most of them on Amazon if you buy used) and they include super easy and practical to implement but actually meaningful labs built right into the book, these things are pretty hard to beat compared to some of the expensive stuff out there, and (wahoo!) secular to boot!

The former scientist in me is very happy. I will STILL have to tweak because that is just me, but I can finally see where our biology year is heading with DS8 and 11. I love the chemistry and physics tie-ins throughout the bio books.

The Prentice Hall Science Explorer series is amazing! You can pick them up used for a song on Amazon.

The titles are:

From Bacteria to Plants

Animals

Cells and Heredity

Human Biology and Health

Environmental Science

Inside Earth

Earth's Changing Surface

Earth's Waters

Weather and Climate

Astronomy

Chemical Building Blocks

Chemical Interactions

Motion, Forces, and Energy

Electricity and Magnetism

Sound and Light

I would love recommendations for worksheets/workbooks for my 3 year old to do. He wants to be just like his older 3 syblings. I do the workboxes system and am having trouble filling his boxes with emough tasks that make him feel big.

Thanks, Peach!

Kumon makes some great workbooks for pencil and scissor skills along with some for cutting and pasting. My younger enjoyed those when she was a little tag-a-long.