Menu

Tell me all about external version of a baby

I'm almost afraid to ask. It looks like I'm heading for an external version if this girl doesn't do a flip in the next 2 weeks. My OB told me that it isn't that big of a deal but it is painful and that I will have to stay in the hospital under observation for the day. Will I be able to eat? Walk around? How painful is painful? I'm pretty tough and I have had 3 totally drug free births--surely it is less painful then giving birth? Has anyone ever gone into labor after a version? I should have everything ready just in case, right??

My SIL had a version with her first daughter. It didn't work. She flipped right back around. Ended up having to do a section.

I worked for an OB and we had about a 40-50% success rate with versions holding. They are painful as the doctor is pushing on your belly to manually turn your baby. There is the possibility of going into labor because of it. But we only had one patient in 2 years that went into labor. More often than not, we had patients that had to be sceduled for sections.

When I hear 'external version' it makes me think of a baby strapped to the outside of you like a fanny pack. "Sally, has the side-slung-external version of a baby so she can bend over easier. Megan prefers the More typical front-load-internal version" LOL

My breach boy wasn't discovered until delivery when he was already locked and loaded. I had a c, they didn't even try to turn him.

First, get thee to a chiropracter! One that does the webster technique. Success rates are actually much higher than external version. And if it doesn't work will make the chances of the version working higher. Secondly, go to spinning babies website and do those exercises. Third, you could start calling around to find an OB that is experienced in vaginal breech birth. They are out there. The stats show that c-section versus vaginal with breech is a wash, it just depends on the experience of the doctor. I'd NEVER have a vaginal breech birth with a doctor that wasn't experienced in them, that would be bad. But a c-section with a breech is also tricky, just in a different way. The issue is that most doctors are trained in the tricks and technique of surgical breech birth, and not vaginal breech birth. Older doctors were trained to do vaginal breech and the safety is just the same then. I know there is a doctor about an hours drive from me with tons of experience doing vaginal breech.

From what I remember from my days of teaching childbirth classes - I had a CNM explain it to my class. She said that they don't give pain meds because pain is an indication that something is wrong. It is supposedly uncomfortable, but should not be terribly painful. They should be monitoring the baby to make sure that he is tolerating it well. Versions aren't always successful ... either due to there not being enough room or another problem (cord or otherwise) that version unsafe. I don't think there is a restriction on eating, but they probably don't want you moving around for a while as they do not want the baby to flip back. Many docs around here have a policy where they induce after a version.

Have you looked into the Webster Technique with a chiropractor? We have local chiro who has great success with getting babies to turn with this technique. The chiropractor adjusts the mom's sacrum and pelvis and may address the round ligaments so that the baby can get into the optimal position on her own. I would definitely try this before a version. Also, check out spinningbabies.com for more information on turning breeches.

I did that with my 2nd and it was WAY more painful than the after-effects of the C-sec I ended up having when he flipped right back around. If it happened again, I'd probably just jump straight to C-sec (I was very worried about that originally, since I had a 2yo and couldn't imagine not being able to carry him around, but after having done it I have determined it really just wasn't that bad).

It doesn't actually take a very long time - most of the time you are in there is just sitting around waiting to get started.

The hardest part, as I recall, was the Dr telling me (repeatedly!) that I needed to relax so that my muscles would relax so that he could do the work. RELAX??? With someone putting you in that much pain?? rofl...ok...

After it was done, my baby flipped over breech right away - it was like twisting a rubber band up. When the Dr. let go, he "sprang" right back to breech before I even sat up on the table. I just went back to "normal pregnant" until the C-sec later that day.

ETA - after reading above post, I did want to point out that the REASON my ds was flipped turned out to be because the cord was around his neck. They had to get that taken care of in the C-sec, and I ended up being very grateful that it had not worked (as then I would have been pushing him out with the cord still wrapped tightly around his neck, which could have been serious).

It did hurt. A lot. I have a fairly high pain tolerance (the nurses after the C-sec kept trying to push drugs off on me and were always astonished/annoyed when I told them I was fine & didn't need anything) but that HURT. To be fair, though, I did get an epidural on the 1st... after about 20 hours of labor...

Edited by black_midori

I had one with my DS who is now 2. They discovered at 37 weeks that he was breech. They wanted to do it ASAP before he got any bigger as he was already measuring large for his age. I went into the hospital and they put in an IV as a precaution (didn't hook it up to anything though). Then they did a quick ultrasound to make sure he was still breech (he was). Then the doctor, with the nurse's help, did the version. She positioned her hands a certain way over my belly and pushed in a forceful, but careful way. It was definitely uncomfortable and felt like a lot of pressure, but it was not at all painful. I'm surprised your doc told you to expect pain. DS turned within 10 minutes, so it was successful. They did another ultrasound to confirm, but I felt him flip, so I knew he was head down. I had to stay for maybe an hour for observation and then I went home. I went into labor the next day. I don't know if it was due to the version or not because my babies usually come early anyway (although he was the earliest) and he was 9 lbs 10 oz at birth so I'm glad I didn't go to 40 weeks with him. I was very glad I had the version and was able to have a successful non-CS birth. I recommend you give it a try!

Good luck.

ETA: I have a very low pain tolerance. I had epidurals with 2 of my labors and only didn't have it with the 3rd because the baby came too quickly and I had no choice. I'm not sure if it depends on the skill of the doctor or the position of the baby, but it looks like different people will tell you different things about the pain level of a version. You may not really know how it is for you until you try it.

Edited by MathGirl

I did that with my 2nd and it was WAY more painful than the after-effects of the C-sec I ended up having when he flipped right back around. If it happened again, I'd probably just jump straight to C-sec (I was very worried about that originally, since I had a 2yo and couldn't imagine not being able to carry him around, but after having done it I have determined it really just wasn't that bad).

It doesn't actually take a very long time - most of the time you are in there is just sitting around waiting to get started.

The hardest part, as I recall, was the Dr telling me (repeatedly!) that I needed to relax so that my muscles would relax so that he could do the work. RELAX??? With someone putting you in that much pain?? rofl...ok...

After it was done, my baby flipped over breech right away - it was like twisting a rubber band up. When the Dr. let go, he "sprang" right back to breech before I even sat up on the table. I just went back to "normal pregnant" until the C-sec later that day.

ETA - after reading above post, I did want to point out that the REASON my ds was flipped turned out to be because the cord was around his neck. They had to get that taken care of in the C-sec, and I ended up being very grateful that it had not worked (as then I would have been pushing him out with the cord still wrapped tightly around his neck, which could have been serious).

It did hurt. A lot. I have a fairly high pain tolerance (the nurses after the C-sec kept trying to push drugs off on me and were always astonished/annoyed when I told them I was fine & didn't need anything) but that HURT. To be fair, though, I did get an epidural on the 1st... after about 20 hours of labor...

Just to clarify, cord around the neck is a normal variation of birth. 1/3 of babies are born that way, and there is no evidence it is a problem. It is just a variation of normal. (says the mom who had a baby with the cord not just around her neck, but corkscrewed around her whole body over and over...the midwife's student was flabbergasted). Now, if the cord was short or tight it certainly could explain why the baby was stuck in the breech position, but isn't a reason for c-section in and of itself. Just wanted to clarify that.

Just to clarify, cord around the neck is a normal variation of birth. 1/3 of babies are born that way, and there is no evidence it is a problem. It is just a variation of normal. (says the mom who had a baby with the cord not just around her neck, but corkscrewed around her whole body over and over...the midwife's student was flabbergasted). Now, if the cord was short or tight it certainly could explain why the baby was stuck in the breech position, but isn't a reason for c-section in and of itself. Just wanted to clarify that.

Both my eldest and youngest were born with their cords around the neck. The doctor (in the first case) and midwife (in the case of youngest) just slipped the cord off before delivering the shoulders. It is very, very normal. I will point out that my middle dd's cord was unusually short, which eventually led to a c-section. The doctor did think that's why she was breech for so long.

Some of the success depends on the person performing the version. Some docs have a higher success rate than others.

I had a good (high success rate) doctor attempt a version on my second pregnancy. My amniotic fluid was slightly low, and the version was unsuccessful. It was painful, but not intolerable (and I have low pain tolerance). Sometimes versions are more successful with an epidural in place, but I didn't want an epidural just for a version.

I had some bleeding afterward. That night, my water broke, and I went into labor. [ETA: They had recorded a lot of contractions when they were monitoring me before the version, so I might have gone into labor that night anyway.] I was 37.5 weeks (full term). We got to the hospital, and they rushed me in for a c-section. It all turned out fine - healthy baby, healthy mama. I wouldn't change anything.

My sister had the Webster technique done a few times with one of her pregnancies. The baby kept flipping back to breech, but finally he stayed head-down.

Edited by mudboots

I had a half version during my drug free labor with my last (number five). He turned transverse in the middle of labor. It was very odd. I had already ruptured (so not much amniotic fluid), I was contracting and he was 10 pounds. The half version was only painful for a split second.

Babies number two and number four were breech until 40 weeks. When they flipped on their own. Ironically, I never felt it when either of them flipped on their own (OB guesses they did it while I was asleep).

I don't know what is up with my insides or my babies but this flip flopping at the end of pregnancy is annoying to say the least.

I had a version at 37 weeks with #1. It worked, he stayed head down, and I had a completely normal delivery. It was uncomfortable but not terribly painful, definitely much, much easier than labor. I was given a shot of terbutaline first to relax my uterine muscles. No pain medication or epidural or anything. It took about half an hour with very frequent pauses to check baby with the ultrasound. FWIW, I had an older doctor who had done versions for years and years and had a pretty high success rate.

When I hear 'external version' it makes me think of a baby strapped to the outside of you like a fanny pack. "Sally, has the side-slung-external version of a baby so she can bend over easier. Megan prefers the More typical front-load-internal version" LOL

My breach boy wasn't discovered until delivery when he was already locked and loaded. I had a c, they didn't even try to turn him.

I know! I had to google it to make sure I heard her correctly!

I had an unsuccessful version with my first, at 37w. It was uncomfortable, kind of like an elephant sitting on my chest, but only while they were doing it (three tries, about a minute each). My belly was a bit sore after. I believe terbutaline was involved.

IMO, it was totally worth trying to avoid the section. Hated the section.

I had one at 36 weeks. I was given terbutaline (a uterine relaxant) and the OB had me pant thru the turning. The table was tilted with my feet higher than my head, and the terbutaline made me feel like I'd taken a couple of benadryl (that sort of loopy feeling). So, I laid there, panting and the OB did the pushing. DH said it was a bit like watching Alien.

We stayed for an hour or two afterwards, attached to the fetal monitor. WHen the baby had moved and the "machine that goes PING!" was no longer pinging because of his position, and no nurse came in for 15 minutes, DH went out and asked if we could leave - clearly no one thought we were in distress :glare: I was hungry and loopy afterward. I may have been told not to eat right before it so a full stomach or bladder wasn't getting in the way.

I'll second (third?) the suggestion of going to SpinningBabies.com and doing the exercises religiously between now the time for a possible version. So, so, so much better and easier on both of you if you can convince baby to turn on his/her own.

First, get thee to a chiropracter! One that does the webster technique. Success rates are actually much higher than external version. And if it doesn't work will make the chances of the version working higher. Secondly, go to spinning babies website and do those exercises.

:grouphug:

i've had a baby turned once, and one turn on her own due to exercises. i've had four altogether, all naturally. labour hurts way, way, way more than having a baby externally turned.

#1 was in germany, where they turned babies frequently. it didn't hurt that badly... using lamaze techniques to relax my muscles helped a lot.

#2 was fine

#3 was feet down at 36 weeks. as i'd had the previous two at 37 weeks, i asked about it here in SoCal. they looked like i was crazy. i asked if any of the obgyns had trained in europe. soon, i was talking to a doctor who had trained in germany, done many there but only a few here. we booked an appointment to turn her. meanwhile, he said, go home, faceplant on your bed with your shoulders and knees on the bed, and your posterior up high. stay there as long as you can, as often as you can. two days and many hours later, she flipped herself :001_smile:. so i'd definitely try that first.

:grouphug:

ann

First, get thee to a chiropracter! One that does the webster technique. Success rates are actually much higher than external version. And if it doesn't work will make the chances of the version working higher. Secondly, go to spinning babies website and do those exercises. Third, you could start calling around to find an OB that is experienced in vaginal breech birth. They are out there. The stats show that c-section versus vaginal with breech is a wash, it just depends on the experience of the doctor. I'd NEVER have a vaginal breech birth with a doctor that wasn't experienced in them, that would be bad. But a c-section with a breech is also tricky, just in a different way. The issue is that most doctors are trained in the tricks and technique of surgical breech birth, and not vaginal breech birth. Older doctors were trained to do vaginal breech and the safety is just the same then. I know there is a doctor about an hours drive from me with tons of experience doing vaginal breech.

:iagree: The research which questioned the safety of breech vaginal births has now been shown to have been seriously flawed. But the problem is now finding a health care professional who is skilled and experienced in assisting at a vaginal breech birth. There are quite a large number of UK midwives who are, as the skills were not lost in the same way here, but I think it will be some time before there are many US obstetricians who have the necessary skill.

And also google 'moxibustion'. I don't know if this is done in the US. There are practitioners in the UK and there is some research to suggest it may be effective.

Good luck!

Emma x

The research which questioned the safety of breech vaginal births has now been shown to have been seriously flawed. But the problem is now finding a health care professional who is skilled and experienced in assisting at a vaginal breech birth.

:iagree:

I kind of wish I had tried, but we thought I had a baby with a giant head (I didn't). It would have been hard to find anyone to assist anyway.

You are absolutely correct - I mis "spoke"!! I meant to say that after the C-sec the Dr indicated that the possible reason he flipped right back to breech after the aversion was because of the cord being wrapped around & causing him to not turn as fully or easily as desired. Or something like that - it has been about 6 years no, so I'm a little fuzzy!! lol

Funny that so many people found it uncomfortable but not painful - I might have just had a rough Dr (last-minute Dr, since I was using a midwife up until near the end and had never met either the C-sec or aversion Drs before).

I had an EV with my third. Basically I was given a shot to relax the uterus, and once that took my son was turned. He dropped right into place, but he stayed put for three weeks after the version. It was painful, but not too bad. I was sore for several weeks though. He stayed head down and was born without incident. I was determined not to be cut on, because it terrifies me.