Menu

Hearing of too many adults my age having sudden strokes/heart attacks

The prayer request shared here earlier for the 32-year-old who had the massive stroke was the SIXTH person under 40 that I've heard about in the past year who has had a serious coronary event! :ohmy: Three were men right around 40 who had sudden heart attacks--one died, the other two lived, thankfully. The other two are women in their late 30's who also suffered serious strokes. They both have a seriously long recovery ahead.

Only one of those (one of the men) was a morbidly obese, heavy drinking, smoking kind of guy that you'd sort of expect to have some kind of serious health problem.

The others, though, are all thinner and at least by appearances, quite healthy. Their events were very surprising to me.

I'm 43. My husband is 45. My sister is 46. I am obese, have PCOS, and an unspecified autoimmune disorder. Those all put me at higher risk for such problems. Thankfully, though, when I had my cholesterol checked last, all the levels were great.

Still, I find this so scary. Has anyone else noticed that it seems more early-middle-aged people are having strokes and heart attacks? Even those who appear to be healthy and exercise regularly?

I personally think it's the drive thru dinner soccer mom stress hitting peak proportions. Society these days is so full of drama, it's a true wonder anyone keeps her blood pressure within the normal range. I think it much more likely that a woman in her mid thirties to mid forties would fall victim to this, since she is in the group most likely to have high maintenance family activities. I would also guess that since the inception of things like plentiful soft drinks, Starbuck's and Red Bull, caffeine intake is at an all-time high.

A person hitting late forties to mid fifties has typically (though not always) started to have more breathing room since the kids are either grown and gone or at least old enough to be driving themselves places. Even if money is a concern and mom has had to return to work, there is usually a mental health benefit from reentering the work force as one often gains an expanded sense of self worth. There may also be more time for exercise and more funds for healthier eating.

Just my two cents...

I know with my firned she as pregnant, which can cause clots and strokes. I think that was her only risk factor. She eats a healthy whole foods diet, and is the happiest person I know. She does have a lot of stress..she just bought a business, a house, and took over as co-president of a non profit in the past 2 months.

A couple of months ago a thin, active mom of 5 in our church had a stroke. She is in her 30s. Then a week or two later another woman who could fit the exact same description had a heart attack. They both recovered quickly, but I think that is pretty scary stuff (especially since both of these moms homeschool like me, are around my age, and I am a mom of 5 who is pretty overweight)!

I think it's because the government "nutritionists" have been feeding us a load of crap for decades now. I hope all their lies encouraging "low-fat" and "healthy whole grains" are exposed sooner rather than later.

Go Paleo!

I think it's because the government "nutritionists" have been feeding us a load of crap for decades now. I hope all their lies encouraging "low-fat" and "healthy whole grains" are exposed sooner rather than later.

Go Paleo!

I have to respond to this. A few years ago I weighed 267 pounds. I went on a low fat diet that was mostly healthy carbs, fruits and veggies and lean protein. I lost 106 pounds in 15 months.

I don't think healthy grains nor low fat are to blame for the obesity epidemic.. I think overeating in general, refined grains ie twinkies, sugar and fat are to blame. Not all fat, but fried chicken is not healthy.

I am thrilled paleo works for you but not everyone is the same and we each need to find what works for us.

Edited by Quiver0f10

As far as I know, there`s no increase in the death rate of forty-year-olds.

I suspect it`s mostly that as your cohort ages, you will know more people dying.

Erma Bombeck wrote an essay about the first of her and her husband`s friends dying from a heart attack in his thirties.

This is a subject I think a lot about, since I'm 54 and have a family history of heart disease. I probably think too much about it. And I've had a fatalistic feeling about it, almost like it's definitely going to happen any time now and I'm just waiting.

Recently I was in Whole Foods, and they were having a special event. Up in the front of the store they were showing a CNN Special Report called "The Last Heart Attack" featuring Sanjay Gupta. The sound was blaring all over the store, and it sounded interesting, so I went up front and watched a few minutes. It kept getting better and better, but I had to finish up my shopping, and I figured I could find the show online.

Well, I did find it online as soon as I got home, and I watched the whole thing. It was fascinating. It starred Bill Clinton as one of the case studies. He'd had a heart attack in 2004 and had surgery, but what really helped him come back to health was going on (and staying on) a vegan/no-oil diet. The show explained that this diet could not only slow down heart disease but actually reverse it. Patients who had been walking time bombs were becoming completely disease-free. Nothing else -- no surgery and no medication -- could equal the success of the heart-healthy diet. At the end of the show they mentioned a "who's who" of famous people who had adopted the heart-healthy diet, and that was eye-opening as well.

Since then I've been eating vegan, using as little oil as I can get away with. The food is fabulous, and I'm losing weight effortlessly. My husband thought he would hate vegan food, but he kind of likes it, as long as I don't make him eat it all the time. My kids are a different story, though one of my children has said that she feels better when she eats "clean."

Anyway, try Googling "the last heart attack+sanjay gupta" and watch the 45-minute show. It might change your life.

Thanks for the feedback. I know I need to make dietary improvements and exercise more.

Then, of course, I read about Andrew Breitbart this morning, who collapsed while walking...

I definitely think that a lot of it has to do with just being older and more aware of it. And I agree that stress has a lot to do with it--it must!

This is a subject I think a lot about, since I'm 54 and have a family history of heart disease. I probably think too much about it. And I've had a fatalistic feeling about it, almost like it's definitely going to happen any time now and I'm just waiting.

Recently I was in Whole Foods, and they were having a special event. Up in the front of the store they were showing a CNN Special Report called "The Last Heart Attack" featuring Sanjay Gupta. The sound was blaring all over the store, and it sounded interesting, so I went up front and watched a few minutes. It kept getting better and better, but I had to finish up my shopping, and I figured I could find the show online.

Well, I did find it online as soon as I got home, and I watched the whole thing. It was fascinating. It starred Bill Clinton as one of the case studies. He'd had a heart attack in 2004 and had surgery, but what really helped him come back to health was going on (and staying on) a vegan/no-oil diet. The show explained that this diet could not only slow down heart disease but actually reverse it. Patients who had been walking time bombs were becoming completely disease-free. Nothing else -- no surgery and no medication -- could equal the success of the heart-healthy diet. At the end of the show they mentioned a "who's who" of famous people who had adopted the heart-healthy diet, and that was eye-opening as well.

Since then I've been eating vegan, using as little oil as I can get away with. The food is fabulous, and I'm losing weight effortlessly. My husband thought he would hate vegan food, but he kind of likes it, as long as I don't make him eat it all the time. My kids are a different story, though one of my children has said that she feels better when she eats "clean."

Anyway, try Googling "the last heart attack+sanjay gupta" and watch the 45-minute show. It might change your life.

I agree this works, but I disagree with the usual reasons put forth. I don't think fat is bad the way they say. I think man made fats and omega 6 overloads are bad. Eating high omega 3's seems to be good for people...and before factory farming that is what our fats were. Grass fed beef and regular beef are so different it is crazy.

Well, I can tell you that I cannot take birth control pills or patches or whatever because I am one of those who is at risk of stroke. It does make me wonder about hormone treatments for women. Stroke is on that long list of side effects from BCP.

My husband was reading something and I will have to ask him what, that said that if you have no history of heart disease or heart attacks in your biological family, that you have only about a 3% chance of having a heart attack. I assume those 3% are people who don't take care of themselves well.

Dh's family has 0 heart issues, although his grandfathers and his father all died of cancers that are not the kind that are hereditary issues.

Dawn

I just watched this. Very interesting. Thank you!

As far as I know, there`s no increase in the death rate of forty-year-olds.

I suspect it`s mostly that as your cohort ages, you will know more people dying.

Erma Bombeck wrote an essay about the first of her and her husband`s friends dying from a heart attack in his thirties.

:iagree:

I was just thinking the same thing. Yes, I've noticed a sharp uptick in dramatic health problems among people my age--but that's probably because I'm taking more notice of people my age.

My SIL's mother died from a massive stoke at age 35 - she had risk factors though - heavy smoker and drinker. The thing that worries me is that my SIL is now approaching that age and she is overweight and a heavy smoker as well - I don't know why she won't give it up after seeing what happened to her mother.

I wonder if BCP have anything to do with it - or some other type of medication. There seem to be a lot more people in that age group on anti-depressants these days.