Menu

Teaching kids to knit.

French Knitter, Knobby Knitter, or Knitting Nancy

There's a book about corking for kids. This is what I'm using with my boys. The projects are easy and it includes instructions for making your own knitters of various sizes.

Only dd uses two needles, she is also the only one I really trust not to sword fight with the needles ;)

Hope this helps :D

I taught 7yo (was 6yo when she started) DD how to knit with a pair of circular needles and a simple knit in the round hat pattern. She has not finished it yet, that first project is s.l.o.w...g.o.i.n.g!!!! But when she has finished she will have learned the knit stitch, casting on, and knit 2 together. She wants to make a washcloth next. That will increase her knowledge to purl stitch and binding off. She loves to knit.

Oh and we didnt use a book, I just figured out her head size and how many stitches she should cast on to make a hat that would fit her head based on the gauge. I used circular needles because I think they are easier to handle than straight needles or DPNs.

Rebecca has this DVD that helped her a lot when she first started.

http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Kids-Leisure-Arts-4406/dp/B000PGTF2I/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1330548042&sr=1-1

I would also suggest the videos at knittinghelp.com - Rebecca is learning to crochet now and online videos are helping her get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Kids-Leisure-Arts-4406/dp/B000PGTF2I/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1330548042&sr=1-1

I would also suggest the videos at knittinghelp.com - Rebecca is learning to crochet now and online videos are helping her get it.

veI used knittinghelp - great site. This DVD is at my library so we will give that a try. Thanks for pointing that out! I think we just need to pick it up every few days. When I taught myself I made a rectangular garter stitch scarf which I kept ripping and re-doing until I learned. I think I need to have the kids start with washcloths which I will cast on :)

Tell them that basically all they are doing is pulling loops through loops. Sometimes being able to picture that is really helpful.

Also, tell them that Carol in Cal.'s greatgrandfather in Germany was told when he was 5 years old that he had to knit all of his own socks from then on. They taught him how (double pointed needles, then) and that was it. If he didn't make them, he had none to wear. So age 6 is really quite reasonable--they can learn it that early if they want to!

Edited by Carol in Cal.

My SIL taught my dd and it just took practice for her, but she'e really mechanically minded. I, on the other hand, had to set a timer and just work on it for 20 min everyday until my stitches weren't so tight. Now, if only I culd get beyond scarves and learn to read a pattern!

Dd has that kids knitting book, but I've heard the waldorf knitting book is very effective in learning, plus just practicing.

My SIL taught my dd and it just took practice for her, but she'e really mechanically minded. I, on the other hand, had to set a timer and just work on it for 20 min everyday until my stitches weren't so tight. Now, if only I culd get beyond scarves and learn to read a pattern!

Dd has that kids knitting book, but I've heard the waldorf knitting book is very effective in learning, plus just practicing.

Just jump in! Really! Knitting makes so much more sense when you're doing it. So I'd skim through a pattern and find something that taught one new skill. Just start the project and when you get to the new skill, it will seem more clear what to do.

My dd13 first knitted when she was 6. She had an old book that had a story combined with patterns. She adored it and made things for her dolls.

I think it was called the "Mary Francis Knitting and Crochet book." It has been republished but it may have been a "homeschool freebie" because I have seen the garden book there.

Good luck with the knitting lessons. My dd loves knitting so much my "stash" my actually be used one day:lol:

Tell them that basically all they are doing is pulling loops through loops. Sometimes being able to picture that is really helpful.

Also, tell them that Carol in Cal.'s greatgrandfather in Germany was told when he was 5 years old that he had to knit all of his own socks from then on. They taught him how (double pointed needles, then) and that was it. If he didn't make them, he had none to wear. So age 6 is really quite reasonable--they can learn it that early if they want to!

That is amazing - I'm in awe. Kids were expected to be smarter, younger back then. :)

We are watching this - this 6yo is a better teacher than me! Great resource

:iagree:

We did finger knitting first, so they got an idea of the loop through loop thing.

I cast on and knit the first couple of rows. Those are the hardest bits for a new knitter to do (ironic, since it's also the very first bit you NEED to do). Then I hand the needles over to them and have them work on it. I even did this with a class of 10 kids -- cast on for everyone ahead of time.

It helps if they check whether they have the correct number of stitches at the end of the row. Amazing how many disappear or suddenly sprout.

I knit and taught myself to knit as an adult. I even used a kids knitting book. I do not know how to teach my kids! We memorized the cute poem but am still struggling. Anyone have some good tips?

There's a poem??? Where? I'm just exploring teaching my dd and myself how to knit. There is a free knitting club that meets at the library every week and I'm told that they love newbies.