Menu

Library holds

Our library only permits holds for items already checked out...so you can place a hold to be sure you get it next (or after anyone else who already has the item on hold.) At one time I had my kids placing the same book on hold, one after another, on their library cards, to be sure no one else could request it on hold until our family was done with it. This, however, smacks of cheating, so I only did it for the one book. Ironically, the very book I did this to the library pulled and got rid of for a newer, less useful, edition (Kingfisher World History) - I would have bought it from them, given the option. Sigh.

oh wow! That would be so unbelievably frustrating. I would probably not use the library if that was our policy.

I do it all the time. I never thought of it. I hope they don't mind!

me too. It saves me time. and we have several branches so I don't always know exactly what library I'm getting it from when I am thinking about holding it.

and you hold because you need it now. Keeps someone from coming in and getting it.

I shouldn't even tell you all this, but.... my county library has a "book in a bag" program. I can request the books I want to be MAILED DIRECTLY TO MY HOUSE!.:lol::D seriously.

I have to get them back myself, either mail them(which I've never done) or bring them to a branch and drop them.

They come in really cute teal bags. Unless I've had a particularly busy evening 'shopping' at my library, then they come in a huge cardboard box.

robin in NJ

That would be like having box day every week. I want that program!

I do it ALL THE TIME. This is my standard method of using the library - I reserves stuff online, wait for an email that it's in, and go pick it up. I don't know or care if they mind. I do not have the time to go digging through the shelves to look for what I want. A lot of the stuff I want is popular anyway, and pretty much the only way to get a turn with it is to reserve it.

Yep, I do it all the time too. With only one vehicle, I have no idea when I'll have a chance to get to the library so by reserving them I'm able to make sure they aren't checked out before I can get there.

Plus, I love being able to run in, grab my books from the shelf, hit the checkout machine and run right back out again. Less than 5 minutes beginning to end.

If we really really want a book i will request it even if it says it's on the shelf in order to guarantee we get it. Now that being said both libraries we use have a limit of 5 books on hold - I guess I really need to get the kids cards so I can put more on hold! I never bothered as they allow 100 items out. The old library only allowed 25 so both kids had cards there.

And when you lose a book, they charge you a lot. I know they could get those books for cheap off amazon, but I don't care.

You might ask, sometimes they will let you buy the book yourself, and bring it in to replace the lost book. Obviously, it should be in new condition, with library binding if available.

Even if you also pay a fee to cover the book processing, it can be less expensive.

I have a 3 year old. I can contain him in the playspace just long enough for his brother to pick a book and for me to grab our holds. He has to be watched like a hawk because if left to his own devices he will use the stacks like race tracks. When he was small, I could look for stuff while he was in the stroller or ergo but now he wants to be down, on the floor, preferably running, all.of.the.time. 90% of the stuff I check out is done via holds- some of those items are housed at our branch, most are from other branches (city system with 27 branches). The holds system is my best friend. I assume that the librarians like that people are using the libraries and keeping them open/employed?

When placing a hold, our library will automatically pull whatever copy hasn't actually been checked out for the longest period of time and then send it to the branch of your choice. On their current system, it is nice because whatever library you return the books to keeps the books on their shelves now unless someone else requested them. That means we constantly have some new books at our library.

Also, since I have a teacher card, I could just give a list of books I want to our children's librarian and she will hunt them down for me.

I generally have a list of books I"m working from. I do all my ordering online - I don't know if my local library has it or not. The library pulls the books from whichever libary in the (large) system has a copy available, and puts it on the hold shelf in my local library for 10 days.

I'm afraid that if it bothers the library that we belong to, they will just have to get over it. I only say that because their shelves are such an awful mess. Twice, I have spent an afternoon there tracking down a handful of books. It isn't that they don't try, but it appears that people drop their children in the kids section while they browse themselves or surf the internet (despite a sign saying you must attend to children at all times :glare:) Several times I've had things come up on the computer search as being "in" but they weren't in their spot, nor could they be located. My mother is a librarian and even SHE gave up on our last visit and said "Oh my gosh, just reserve them and pick them up at the desk next time." LOL

I'm afraid that if it bothers the library that we belong to, they will just have to get over it. I only say that because their shelves are such an awful mess. Twice, I have spent an afternoon there tracking down a handful of books. It isn't that they don't try, but it appears that people drop their children in the kids section while they browse themselves or surf the internet (despite a sign saying you must attend to children at all times :glare:) Several times I've had things come up on the computer search as being "in" but they weren't in their spot, nor could they be located. My mother is a librarian and even SHE gave up on our last visit and said "Oh my gosh, just reserve them and pick them up at the desk next time." LOL

it was like this at my old library which was a shame because they had an AWESOME collection of picture books. Three times as many on the shelves as my current library.