Menu

Memorizing Square Roots?

I don't think I ever did this but I'm thinking it would be a good idea for my daughter. Does anyone have their kids memorize the square roots and if so how far up do I go?

Is there a website for helping with this?

I started with through 12. Going through 20^2 is a good idea for algebra.

We worked them out frequently with tiles. But you just have to memorize them. It's not like there is a pattern to the sequence.

. But you just have to memorize them. It's not like there is a pattern to the sequence.

But yes, there is a pattern :)

Just have your kid write them out and see if he can find it:

4-9-16-25-36-49-64-81-100...

Hint: look at the differences.

We memorized squares up to 20^2. If you memorize the squares, you automatically know square roots, of course.

Wow! I had no clue there was a pattern, but the pattern does make sense.

We memorize up to 25. Nothing exciting that I know of. My kids wrote them down and put them in their memory notebooks. I made a poster just so we could work on it anytime throughout the day. We'll hit algebra next year; I think having these memorized will be helpful.

I don't think I ever did this but I'm thinking it would be a good idea for my daughter. Does anyone have their kids memorize the square roots and if so how far up do I go?

Is there a website for helping with this?

Do you mean squares or square roots?

I see others posting about memorizing squares up to 12 or up to 20, and I agree those are useful.

I don't think there's much call for memorizing square roots, except that root 2 comes up fairly often. It's handy to know that it's approximately 1.414, just as it's handy to know that pi is approximately 3.14.

Of course, one should be able to see very quickly that the square root of 27, say, is a little more than 5. But memorizing them? Waste of time IMO.

Do you mean squares or square roots?

I see others posting about memorizing squares up to 12 or up to 20, and I agree those are useful.

I don't think there's much call for memorizing square roots, except that root 2 comes up fairly often. It's handy to know that it's approximately 1.414, just as it's handy to know that pi is approximately 3.14.

Of course, one should be able to see very quickly that the square root of 27, say, is a little more than 5. But memorizing them? Waste of time IMO.

I suppose I meant both. The ability to go back and forth quickly. We'll memorize the square numbers which will make the roots easy. We need to work on those prime numbers also.

But yes, there is a pattern :)

Just have your kid write them out and see if he can find it:

4-9-16-25-36-49-64-81-100...

Hint: look at the differences.

We memorized squares up to 20^2. If you memorize the squares, you automatically know square roots, of course.

Ruler smack to the hand duely noted. :blush5:

I did actually do this a few weeks back with my youngest when we were talking about squares and triangles.

I hang my head.

No problem, and you're welcome. The perfect cubes also have a pattern which can be reduced to a linear progression-- it is a fun exercise to find it too. And while I'm no mathematician, it stands to reason that any progression of perfect numbers to a certain power will wind up the same way; maybe someone can weigh in on that.

My son and I were talking about this just the other day. He found the pattern himself but he described it differently.

12*12 =144

13* 13 = 12*12 + (12 *2 +1)

Which comes when you foil it out (12+1) (12+1) = 12 * 12 + 12*1 +12*1 +1*1

It only works if you know the square before it. However you can also do it for things like 19 by writing it as (20-1) (20-1) = 400 -40+1 =361