Menu

WARNING... the "Mid Winter Blues" are here!

I'm seeing lots of posts about being discouraged, tired, burnt out, and (choose your own word) about home schooling. It happens every year in Feb and March.

New home school moms are terrified by it. Veteran moms are crippled by it. And, those of us that have been home schooling FOREVER see it as a season that passes.

I'm still afraid of it. I'm still crippled by it. But over 15 years of home schooling I know that the mid winter discouragement and burn out WILL pass. Late March,April, and May are the exciting months of planning curriculum for "next" year and going to all the book fairs and conventions! That excitement is just around the corner IF we can hold on through the mid winter blues.

Over the years, I've dealt with mid winter burn out in the following ways:

1. Take a break. A week or two can do wonders. Especially if you are dealing with winter colds and flu.

2. Cut the school week down to 3 or 4 days a week for a while.

3. Only do 2 or 3 subjects for a few weeks. Don't worry about falling "behind". Struggling to keep up only ADDS to the disappointment and burn out.

4. If you have older children, cut out the written assignments for a few weeks. (Except math...can't do math without doing problems) Let them read a few chapters without taking tests or writing papers.

5. If you have younger children and do projects. Don't do the projects. Just continue reading the books.

6. Go to the library. Check out books to read and documentaries to watch. I'll let the kids pick out a "fun book" of their own choosing to read for a week. I'll check out 5 documentaries that go along with our history, science, or literature. That week will be reading for fun and watching videos. Still learning, but a great break.

7. Play "hometown" tourist. Do field trips to museums and local sites.

Most of all.... DO NOT decide to quit home schooling during the mid winter blues just because of being tired and discouraged. EVERYONE IS TIRED AND DISCOURAGED RIGHT NOW. If you need to make that decision, wait until you

have had a long break and rest.... summertime for most. You'll be able to better evaluate what is best for your family when you feel rested.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: To ALL of us!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Awesome post! And so true! When I am hit with the midwinter blues I focus on April 1. Not because it is april fools but because April 1 all the new curriculum catalogues roll off the presses. That also means the start of convention season. April 1 is a life raft to me during the burn out season of Feb and March.

Absolutely true! Which is one reason NOT to finish curriculum planning too early (which I did this year :glare:)

I'm going to focus on organization this spring, instead! I'm also looking forward to finishing worktexts for BFSU and composition. It's important to have something to look forward to :)

Edited by Halcyon

This is so true. Everyone is discouraged right now. It's cold here and I'm ready for warm weather. I've been daydreaming about cleaning the house in the mornings, spending the afternoon at the pool and coming home to a light dinner every night. I can't wait for summer. Everyone I know feels like this. My mom is a ps teacher and they are gearing up for standardized testing right now. She is just counting the days until summer break!

Nice post! I have been homeschooling 15 years. This year most of my children are in either a private school or the local public school. Just have a senior home and a kindergartner and preschooler. I toured the public school my 10 yr ds will be going to next year.(she has special needs)

The principal and teachers are all suffering the same malady. They are craving sunlight, getting the kids outside more, dredding testing etc. I ended up giving them a pep talk!

Just took last week off for this very reason. Then yesterday my dd whined because we started back up and it was a holiday. (ugh) I cut out her regular math assignment (her most hated subject) and just gave her 3 easy math worksheets from the internet. I read aloud to her, (she is 12 but still likes it), and then she was happily willing to do the rest of her assigned schedule :)

:grouphug:

pie

I'm seeing lots of posts about being discouraged, tired, burnt out, and (choose your own word) about home schooling. It happens every year in Feb and March.

New home school moms are terrified by it. Veteran moms are crippled by it. And, those of us that have been home schooling FOREVER see it as a season that passes.

I'm still afraid of it. I'm still crippled by it. But over 15 years of home schooling I know that the mid winter discouragement and burn out WILL pass. Late March,April, and May are the exciting months of planning curriculum for "next" year and going to all the book fairs and conventions! That excitement is just around the corner IF we can hold on through the mid winter blues.

Over the years, I've dealt with mid winter burn out in the following ways:

1. Take a break. A week or two can do wonders. Especially if you are dealing with winter colds and flu.

2. Cut the school week down to 3 or 4 days a week for a while.

3. Only do 2 or 3 subjects for a few weeks. Don't worry about falling "behind". Struggling to keep up only ADDS to the disappointment and burn out.

4. If you have older children, cut out the written assignments for a few weeks. (Except math...can't do math without doing problems) Let them read a few chapters without taking tests or writing papers.

5. If you have younger children and do projects. Don't do the projects. Just continue reading the books.

6. Go to the library. Check out books to read and documentaries to watch. I'll let the kids pick out a "fun book" of their own choosing to read for a week. I'll check out 5 documentaries that go along with our history, science, or literature. That week will be reading for fun and watching videos. Still learning, but a great break.

7. Play "hometown" tourist. Do field trips to museums and local sites.

Most of all.... DO NOT decide to quit home schooling during the mid winter blues just because of being tired and discouraged. EVERYONE IS TIRED AND DISCOURAGED RIGHT NOW. If you need to make that decision, wait until you

have had a long break and rest.... summertime for most. You'll be able to better evaluate what is best for your family when you feel rested.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: To ALL of us!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Great post! For me, it happens earlier (January-February), but I am in a warmer climate. But it happens nonetheless. I do wonder if it's worse for those in cold climates and less severe for those in tropical climates. Alaska & Hawaii ladies, care to respond?

Thanks for the thread!

February

Will winter never be over?

Will the dark days never go?

Must the buttercup and the clover

Be always hid under the snow?

Ah, lend me your little ear, love!

Hark! 'tis a beautiful thing;

The weariest month of the year, love,

Is shortest, and nearest to spring.

~Adeline D. T. Whitney

:iagree: Burnout always comes at different times for me, although winter blahs are inevitable. Losing my dad last winter before Christmas was extremely difficult, Endometriosis ravaging me, surgery and then recovering takes a toll. Still, I have hope that each day is a gift, and I am realizing that it has been very difficult for 2 solid years. Still, I have hope that it will get better.

Baby 8 due in May is pushing me to plan early, switching from SL to TOG to hopefully find a better plan for our large family is taking time but hopefully will be worth it.

Discipline and cleansing our house are my main battles right now, along with severe back and ligament pain on a daily 24 hour basis. I am hanging on!:lol: