Menu

Composition curriculum from vintage books (elementary)...ideas?

Halcyon

I have been spending time looking over Composition (as opposed to grammar) books on googlebooks and have found a few that look great. Can you share any you have found which I may not have seen, and list what grades you think it would be appropriate for?

Here's what I have found (and liked):

1. Progressive Exercises in English Composition by Parker (for 4th and up?) Alert: Downloadable here
  2. English Composition by Hammond Lamont: (for 6th grade and up?)
  3. Lessons in English by CC Long (includes a lot of grammar too; the end has some interesting approaches to the study of sentences): 3rd-5th?
  4. Alert: PDF and Epub available here....... Essentials of English by Henry Pearson. In the introduction, the author states that he will use the following methods to teach: 1)Oral and written work 2) The use of models (ie. imitation in writing-style) 3) Picture Study 4) Review 5) new words. There is some grammar thrown in, particularly as relates to writing style and the correct usage of words. I like this one a lot. Stripe pointed out his book for the third grade here. It's adorable.
  5. Progressive Composition by Ida Brautigam (this link is for Book 1, designed for Grades 3-4. She has written Book 2 and Book 3, I believe) IMO, the narrations in this book look much easier than WWE.
  6. English Grammar and Composition by Southworth. This is meant for upper elementary, but I believe a younger student (4th grade?) could use it if accelerated. Much more step-wise and sequential than the other books linked here.
  7. First Book in English by Maxwell. This incorporates grammar as well. I really like the composition work in this a lot; suitable for strong 2nd graders, or 3-4th grade students.
  8. Introductory Language Lessons by Evans. Similar to Maxwell's First Book in English..perhaps a bit more advanced with longer passages. 3-4th grade. Again, looks great! Seems to have less grammar and more composition than Maxwell. There also seems to be a good amount of "story starters" for those kids who enjoy creative writing.
  9. Graded Lessons in Composition by McKeown (This is book 2 for 5th-6th grade; she also has Book 1 and Book 3). This reminds me of Writing Tales.
  10. Dictation Day by Day (not a composition book, LOL, but I really like it so I thought I'd link it)

ETA: this relates closely to Ruth (lewelma)'s post about the writing curricula she investigated. She mentions in the thread that in the course of doing her research, she began to realize that:

Writing includes 2 major parts that need equal time spent on them up through 8th grade (or earlier/later depending on the kid). 1) how to mechanically get words down on paper. This includes mechanics, spelling, handwriting/typing, grammar, and memory. 2) how to organize and develop your thoughts (developing arguments, organizing essays and paragraphs, using descriptive language, etc). What I finally realized is that all of #2 is thinking. SWB mentioned in a lecture that she sees so many students in college that can write a long paper but it says nothing and is organized so poorly as to be impossible to read. These students were only taught #1. I finally understand now what oral narration in elementary school is all about. It is about thinking. And in the end writing is thinking, just thinking put on paper.

The books I list above will hopefully help my kids move from the solely mechanical (grammar, spelling, handwriting, etc) to Ruth's #2 as mentioned above.

Edited by Halcyon

Thank you for all the links! I haven't finished going through them yet, but there are some gems in there. I think, from what I've seen, your grade levels seems pretty on target.

Oh, that's good to hear. So many of these old texts don't list the grade level, and they're also (generally) more rigorous than current expectations, so I wasn't sure.

If you find any more, please list them.

I have used several sections from Ida Brautigams The Progressive Composition Lessons, but had not heard of these. Thanks!

How did you like Progressive Composition? I am making a worktext using exercises from a few of the books listed above (I am starting with making one for my rising 2nd grader, then may make one for my older) and I'd love your opinion.

I would have to look back over it, but I remember really liking the first sections that we did. At the time I was also doing Writing Tales 1 and WWE and it just became too much to keep up with. Imagine that ... Too much .. When these days we are doing CC and WWS together. Ha. I am sorry, I don't have anything more to add but I am downloading some of the above and have already started on Illustrated Lessons so if I can come up with anything intelligent to add I will let you know. Lol.

How did you like Progressive Composition? I am making a worktext using exercises from a few of the books listed above (I am starting with making one for my rising 2nd grader, then may make one for my older) and I'd love your opinion.

What do you mean by worktext? Are you typing out all the exercises on Word?

I've used a little bit of Progressive Composition and it reminds me of the sample from Winning with Writing. I've put a temporary hold on intensive writing since I want to finish up WWE (DD really likes it) and because it's actually a subject that I don't want Dd to dictate to me or to do her exercises orally each and every time. This is a child that only can do about 2 sentences per day, and sometimes it takes an hour.

There is another vintage book that I really like, and I'll have to post it later. You may actually have it listed, but I'll check again tomorrow. Getting late here.

I have been considering doing the same thing but I've been trying to figure out how I want to do it. Do you have Startwrite to make your own sheets or are using something else?

Goodness! Those links are fantastic! Many thanks for your time and effort in finding such wonderful resources.

I have been using Brautigam by printing interesting lessons one at a time, but it would be wonderful to draw upon so many great sources for writing lessons.

Did you notice that Pearson has a Latin Prose Composition, based on Cicero?

One more---Essentials of English for Higher Grades , which may sway me away from Maxwell's book.

Editing...

The Brautigam books are here. That should link to all three books, which go up to eighth grade. (Thank you, Stripe!)

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

Goodness! Those links are fantastic! Many thanks for your time and effort in finding such wonderful resources. You're welcome!

I have been using Brautigam by printing interesting lessons one at a time, but it would be wonderful to draw upon so many great sources for writing lessons. Well, when I am finished my worktext I will let you know. I am trying to shoot for about a year's worth of lessons, working 4 days a week, so that's about 150 lessons? Might not make it that far, but when I poop out, I'll let you know what I've accomplished.

Did you notice that Pearson has a Latin Prose Composition, based on Cicero? Yes! I noticed this!

One more---Essentials of English for Higher Grades , which may sway me away from Maxwell's book. Is that the Pearson book I listed? It looks really good. I am currently adapting Maxwell's book into a worktext, incorporating some stuff from other books that I know my younger son would benefit from and enjoy. I hopefully will get to do the same with Pearson.

Edited by Halcyon

I have been considering doing the same thing but I've been trying to figure out how I want to do it. Do you have Startwrite to make your own sheets or are using something else?

Well, I am debating. I want him to do some copywork in script, so I will either use the cursive at worksheetgenerator or I will find a nice usable free cursive font online (probably will go this route) and just type it in.

I will definitely check out your list. I haven't found anything yet that I love. Writing is either taught too vaguely or too rigidly. I came across a book that stated paragraphs MUST contain at least 5 sentences. Uh....I couldn't get past that to continue. LOL Thankfully that was a cheap download. And then on the other extreme is MCT which I think does a good job explaining the finer points of writing. It's just kinda vague though and the assignments hop from having one practice writing certain kinds of sentences to writing 2 paragraphs from a researched topic.

So I dunno. So far I'm pleased with WWW. DS wrote a very clear paragraph last week and learned a bit about outlining/organizing. That was what he wasn't getting from MCT. Although I can definitely see the influence of MCT. So I guess one way or the other in my chaotic approach I'll get my son to the point he needs to be.

I like to approach writing from multiple angles. I think academic writing needs will be met by WWS, but my son also needs to learn ways to spice up his writing, draw the reader in...and he enjoys creative writing when prompted, so I think using something like Pearson might work. I will make tweaks (of course!) so that it fits his style better.

I think this probably is the best approach. I'd love to find something that does it all, but maybe there is nothing like that.

What about the writing in Hake? I am eying Hake for grammar, but few people talk about the writing part.

I don't know much about Hake. I looked at it once or twice, but only wanted grammar and found KISS to be a good fit for us. Have you looked at Writing Tales?

Goodness! Those links are fantastic! Many thanks for your time and effort in finding such wonderful resources. You're welcome!

I have been using Brautigam by printing interesting lessons one at a time, but it would be wonderful to draw upon so many great sources for writing lessons. Well, when I am finished my worktext I will let you know. I am trying to shoot for about a year's worth of lessons, working 4 days a week, so that's about 150 lessons? Might not make it that far, but when I poop out, I'll let you know what I've accomplished.

Did you notice that Pearson has a Latin Prose Composition, based on Cicero? Yes! I noticed this!

One more---Essentials of English for Higher Grades , which may sway me away from Maxwell's book. Is that the Pearson book I listed? It looks really good. I am currently adapting Maxwell's book into a worktext, incorporating some stuff from other books that I know my younger son would benefit from and enjoy. I hopefully will get to do the same with Pearson.

Aaah yes! I guess I should read again before I post. I must have seen another of his texts that I liked, but I'm not sure now. I do remember looking at all of them and thinking that Pearson had some very good texts!

Wow! You're a brave girl! Sounds like you'll be very busy for several weeks. (I'm doing well just to print off a lesson from the screen. I hadn't thought of retyping them into a workbook. You're much braver than I. :D)

Essentials of English by Henry Pearson. In the introduction, the author states that he will use the following methods to teach: 1)Oral and written work 2) The use of models (ie. imitation in writing-style) 3) Picture Study 4) Review 5) new words. There is some grammar thrown in, particularly as relates to writing style and the correct usage of words. I like this one a lot.

I briefly looked at this, and it seemed almost the same as Emma Serl's Intermediate Language Lessons.

Dictation Day by Day (not a composition book, LOL, but I really like it so I thought I'd link it)

I use Dictation Day by Day for my oldest two. I really like it. I much prefer this over the WWE dictation.

Okay, my brain is really tired, but I did find the other book I wrote about in the other post. Apparently, there are two books of the Essentials of English book by Pearson. The first volume is for fourth through sixth grades, and the second volume (the one I had in mind when I posted earlier today), is for seventh and eighth grades. I remembered a beautiful plate which illustrated four parts of our language, and that's what I saw this evening again. It's in the second volume, and would be wonderful printed in color as a cover for language arts and spiral-bound.

Oh my! Care to share any of it?.

You mean the BFSU Worksheets? Absolutely! I just want to make a bit of headway. I've only made worksheets for 2-3 lessons in each; trying to just stay ahead of my kids at this point! When I've done a reasonably amount, I will certainly share!

I like this Pearson book (Essentials of English: First Book Pearson) but can only seem to download it to my Google account; I can't get it in PDF form.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pN5EAAAAIAAJ&oe=UTF-8

I found it on Archive.org but not in PDF.

http://www.archive.org/details/essentialsengli08kircgoog

Have any of you found it? It looks promising.

ETA: I found through Kobo

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Essentials-of-English-First-Book/book-604uWl4pT0-rfX2FHVtrhg/page1.html

Edited by stripe

I like this Pearson book (Essentials of English: First Book Pearson) but can only seem to download it to my Google account; I can't get it in PDF form.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pN5EAAAAIAAJ&oe=UTF-8

I found it on Archive.org but not in PDF.

http://www.archive.org/details/essentialsengli08kircgoog

Have any of you found it? It looks promising.

ETA: I found through Kobo

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Essentials-of-English-First-Book/book-604uWl4pT0-rfX2FHVtrhg/page1.html

Stripe, thank you for sharing your research. I don't like DD reading on a computer screen, so this PDF version is wonderful.

Halcyon, I just have to thank your for posting those links! Pearson and Maxwell look perfect for my ds. You've made my day!

Oh goodie! Those are the ones I think we're going to use for my kids. In fact, today we did an exercise from Pearson and it went so well! It was a composition exercise, which is what I plan to focus on, and I am thrilled with the outcome.

Halcyon, I went through my files to find the one that I've been using on and off with DD. I should have printed out the title page. It's Maxwell's Introductory Lesson in English Grammar, not exactly what you are looking for since it's more grammar-focused, but I really liked what we did on page 3. The author mixes up the order of words and the student has to rearrange them to have the sentence make sense.

Pearson and Maxwell make a great combination.

Have you made sense of the flow chart for BFSU2? I really want to use this next (after Story of Science which I expect to buzz through). I just cringe when I see that flow chart!

Yep, I have. The Yahoo Group has a nice list available of a plan, and it works fine. I am using that to make my worksheets.

Halcyon, I went through my files to find the one that I've been using on and off with DD. I should have printed out the title page. It's Maxwell's Introductory Lesson in English Grammar, not exactly what you are looking for since it's more grammar-focused, but I really liked what we did on page 3. The author mixes up the order of words and the student has to rearrange them to have the sentence make sense.

Pearson and Maxwell make a great combination.

Yes, I know this one! And you're right, it's more grammar, but it's great too. I am trying to focus on vintage books that specialize in composition right now...my boys need to work on their style :D

This is my older son's composition working from Lesson 20 in Pearson. First draft. I wouldn't call these paragraphs LOL, but it's a start.

[paragraph 1, indented]Tyler is a scruffy, light brown terrier, the size of a large cat. He has darker brown, floppy ears and a sprinkle of white on his head. His brown eyes stare eagerly at me when he is scolded, and his prickly fur on his long body brushes gently against my skin.

[pargagraph 2, indented] He is playful, amusing and as fast as a bullet while playing with his friends. He darts back and forth from my mom's room to my room when he is happy, sometimes holding a toy in his mouth.

[paragraph 3, indented] He is as perky as a monkey and as playful as a kitten. His curious personality is no match for his sweet and gentle soul.

Edited by Halcyon

You mean the BFSU Worksheets? Absolutely! I just want to make a bit of headway. I've only made worksheets for 2-3 lessons in each; trying to just stay ahead of my kids at this point! When I've done a reasonably amount, I will certainly share!

Yes! And the vintage English books as well. Pm me if you would like to divide and conquer. I have some of the capability that you do. I was looking at pencil/pen and macarthurs first so far and would gladly share the load. What a great project!

You know, I was wondering what's the story with all the Essentials of English by Pearson. So apparently the "first" book is for 4-6th grades, but the one for "lower grades" is for third grade.

I discovered I already had two of these books downloaded on my computer, since last August, so I am very glad my post helped you ladies. I have so many vintage LA books and don't know how to evaluate them all.

Edited by stripe

Well, I am debating. I want him to do some copywork in script, so I will either use the cursive at worksheetgenerator or I will find a nice usable free cursive font online (probably will go this route) and just type it in.

What is the exact url of the site you are talking about? I have looked at some different ones and none seem to be exactly what I'm looking for- I tried worksheetgenerator.com but it is not bringing anything up.

Yes! And the vintage English books as well. Pm me if you would like to divide and conquer. I have some of the capability that you do. I was looking at pencil/pen and macarthurs first so far and would gladly share the load. What a great project!

I have a google doc started for Maxwell...and I thought I might throw in some other composition exercises from other books...I will PM you--we could work on it together...if anyone else wants to help us turn Pearson and Maxwell into worktexts, just post here...the more people who help, the faster it will get done :D

What is the exact url of the site you are talking about? I have looked at some different ones and none seem to be exactly what I'm looking for- I tried worksheetgenerator.com but it is not bringing anything up.

Ack, i can't find the link- i thought I bookmarked it--I will search later tonight and repost.

You know, I was wondering what's the story with all the Essentials of English by Pearson. So apparently the "first" book is for 4-6th grades, but the one for "lower grades" is for third grade.

I discovered I already had two of these books downloaded on my computer, since last August, so I am very glad my post helped you ladies. I have so many vintage LA books and don't know how to evaluate them all.

Oh now that one is darling!!!! I am going to add it to my OP!