Menu

Dumb question: How do you pronounce MEP?

Enough

I just say the initials. M..E..P

I never thought about people saying it differently.:tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

It never would have occurred to me either until a friend asked me if I'd tried Mep. I had been doubting myself ever since. :tongue_smilie:

I'm still wondering how I'm supposed to say Miquon. I should search and see if anyone has asked that one before.

I'm still wondering how I'm supposed to say Miquon. I should search and see if anyone has asked that one before.

Haha, I almost said, "Just don't ask me to say Miquon...". The question has come up on here before and there was a lot of discussion, but I already forgot what the final conclusion was. Something like Mee kwon, perhaps?

Bill would know.

Haha, I almost said, "Just don't ask me to say Miquon...". The question has come up on here before and there was a lot of discussion, but I already forgot what the final conclusion was. Something like Mee kwon, perhaps?

Bill would know.

My search attempts have been failing. Is that a MEE-kwon or a Mee-KWON?

I found a more recent thread than the one I was remembering: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315365

If you scroll down a little you'll see Bill's post (he actually called the school).

Awesome. Now I can speak with confidence. It's always awkward discussing curriculum when you don't know how to say it.

Do you pronounce that f-a-q or like "facts"? This is a serious question.

:D F-A-Q, as that's the standard.

I think with MEP, it bothers me that it doesn't have a proper name - Mathematics Enhancement Programme is just a bit lacking. So sad. So I feel like it should rhyme with yep. Perhaps we should all dub it George or something. Or Stanislaw... wasn't it originally Czech? Or name it after an extinct animal... oh, wait, that's already been done.

Do you pronounce that f-a-q or like "facts"? This is a serious question.

Whenever I read FAQ in my head I pronounce the full "frequently asked questions". If I am saying it out loud I just say the abbreviation. I wonder why that is???

I think with MEP, it bothers me that it doesn't have a proper name - Mathematics Enhancement Programme is just a bit lacking. So sad. So I feel like it should rhyme with yep. Perhaps we should all dub it George or something. Or Stanislaw... wasn't it originally Czech? Or name it after an extinct animal... oh, wait, that's already been done.

I thought Hungarian (but my mom's going with Russian). I agree, its name is spelled d-u-l-l.

Per MEP,

Much of the material developed for this initiative is based on a Hungarian Series, edited by Professor Sándor Hajdu at the Petö Institute in Budapest, and published by Müszaki Könyvkiadó. This has been adapted and modified for UK schools with the help of Professor Tibor Szalontai and Rita Szalontai.

Bill would know.

You are saying it right. I only know a few years because I called the school :D

Bill