Menu

Math with my girls: me banging head on table and sobbing

Mandylubug

C-rods. Seriously.

Take 2 of the green 3s, put them together and have the girls find the rod that it makes. They will never again say 10 or 1. They might say 7 for awhile as they try it, but they will have a much closer response until they get it right and it becomes automatic. The rods really are an incredible visual representation.

I agree with this. My kids start rejecting the rods after a while, but they start out using them, and the visual representation really helps them get it. And when they get confused somewhere along the way, I pull out the rods again to show them a concept. You can count three of the white rods and three more of the white rods and show them how three whites make a light green, and then two light greens make a dark green.

haven't read the whole thread, but another vote for MathUSee. It's great out of the gate. When things aren't so rocky I would supplement it with some MEP worksheets each week if they like it, and I'd definitely add regular fact drill, but it should do the trick.

For drill you could add math Wrap-Ups, with CDs, (see Amazon) and/or Calculadder Drills (add time if needed).

Thank you everyone! I am definitely researching all the recommendations to shared. I do know that I need a book to go through even for "playing with manipulatives." I know me and know it would be so easy for math to just fall off in the midst of everything else with the kids if I have to just remember to play and I don't want to do nothing but I want to gently progress forward.

Another thing I thought of, is that when my girls were seemingly retaining nothing, I finally just started over. I thought they must have missed something really basic to not be getting any of this. So, orally and with c-rods, we started over on page 1 of MM 1A. It was very easy at first and we were able to go quickly at first. I think that helped a lot because it was so easy. My girls (twins too) hate hard things. They get anxious and shut down and start spitting out totally off the wall answers. If I asked them what's 5+2, they might give me 52, or 3, or even 5. If they have 5 cookies and get 2 more, they could tell me they had 7, however- as long as it wasn't a math class. I had to take them back to no stress, easy stuff and build their confidence up while the basic facts were re-drilled in their heads. When they had problems, they didn't get so upset because the rest of it was easy and they had seen success.

I think they may always be behind their grade in math but now they are pretty good for the level of work they are doing and we are finally progressing.

Another thing I thought of, is that when my girls were seemingly retaining nothing, I finally just started over. I thought they must have missed something really basic to not be getting any of this. So, orally and with c-rods, we started over on page 1 of MM 1A. It was very easy at first and we were able to go quickly at first. I think that helped a lot because it was so easy. My girls (twins too) hate hard things. They get anxious and shut down and start spitting out totally off the wall answers. If I asked them what's 5+2, they might give me 52, or 3, or even 5. If they have 5 cookies and get 2 more, they could tell me they had 7, however- as long as it wasn't a math class. I had to take them back to no stress, easy stuff and build their confidence up while the basic facts were re-drilled in their heads. When they had problems, they didn't get so upset because the rest of it was easy and they had seen success.

I think they may always be behind their grade in math but now they are pretty good for the level of work they are doing and we are finally progressing.

We are definitely considering just letting them start over. We have looked over McRuffy, MUS, R&S but we still just like how MM looks and I think I am going to make a "math basket" and automatically pull out our manipulatives for every lesson and work it through with them even if they don't seem to struggle with that lesson. The problems they are doing currently they can do just fine with manipulatives or word problems.. so perhaps we just keep going forward where they are with manipulatives?

I would do oral math with them. I wouldn't show them 3 + 3 =, instead I would say, "Three plus three equals?" Or if they don't understand that, I would ease into it by saying "Three and three more. Altogether that is?" I would set manipulatives in front of them and they could use them, or not. When they are older (maybe September) I'd show them

three looks like this 3

plus looks like this +

three looks like this 3

equals looks like this =

3 + 3 = reads like this, "three plus three equals..."

You can turn any program into an oral program. Just read them the questions in the workbooks. we don't do written math for Kindergarten at our house.

we continued this morning where we were with the base ten blocks out. I put the units in front of them and had them work each individual problem out with the units. They definitely made less mistakes. I will continue on this path I suppose. I also may just purchase some games that are simple to play that would reinforce math fact skills.

Today only took 20 minutes for two pages worth of math. Not to mention the last page was 9 word problems which, when worked out orally with manipulatives they flew threw with no error!

I haven't read all the replies so may be repeating things here, but I loved RightStart for the early years. It came out only in time for my youngest son to use, but I really appreciated the hands on approach to addition and subtraction with the special abacus which showed how to divide numbers into parts in order to add them, etc. The abacus is also used to teach larger numbers, place value, etc. Highly recommended.

R&S's Beginning Arithmetic. Yes, it's first grade. But I'll bet your dds would be able to zoom through it.

Some children really just like a traditional aritmetic. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

This starts at the very beginning. the ducks made all the difference to my young boys. CLE confused them. i did not even try MM. Seriously, it isn't that much money. You can skip the blacklines and drill pads. Get the flashcards. Be sure you buy the 2nd edition. 3rd changes everything and they are not planning on doing any more levels.

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Mathematics_for_Christian_Living_Series/

we continued this morning where we were with the base ten blocks out. I put the units in front of them and had them work each individual problem out with the units. They definitely made less mistakes. I will continue on this path I suppose. I also may just purchase some games that are simple to play that would reinforce math fact skills.

Today only took 20 minutes for two pages worth of math. Not to mention the last page was 9 word problems which, when worked out orally with manipulatives they flew threw with no error!

great! My son also does better with word problems and blocks.

I didn't read every single piece of advice you got so this could be redundant or useless, but I would

1) let them (and yourself) take a break for at least a week so the frustration level reaches zero before you try anything new.

2) I also love MUS. However, I think you might want to look at MCP K math until you get over this hump. I've used it in the past and I thought it did a really good job of presenting the concepts clearly and slowly, in logical stages (unlike what you were describing from your current program?). I love the way MCP K introduces addition with pictures. Even though it's on paper, the "problems" start out kind of telling a story... first they make sure the child can count butterflies and circle the right number. Then they have a group of butterflies on one side and another butterfly "fly over" to the group and the child has to circle the number of how many there are "now." You get the idea. The way they change the instructions just slightly every couple of pages, it's like the kids start adding without even realizing what they're doing at first because it's such a logical progression. It's cute, my kids liked the pictures (but it's not so colorful or crazy that it's distracting), and it was an utterly painless way to get the concept of addition. I highly recommend you give this curriculum a go. Don't worry about it being a "K" book. The important part is that they get the concept, right? And MCP isn't too awful expensive (20 bucks?) so I think it would be worth it to save all 3 of you the headache!

good luck!

Woohoo! Don't you love an easy solution?! :D

Sometimes kids just need to use the manipulatives a bit longer. Just keep them handy while doing the work. They'll eventually put them down when it is easier to do it without them.

Incidentally, 1B teaches how to use an abacus. The RS abacus is excellent (and it's only $10 at Rainbow Resource, btw). So after 1B, you might switch to that for your daily manipulative use, especially when you get to adding/subtracting 2 and 3-digit numbers.

It's perfectly normal for a 1st grader to still need manipulatives for their math. :)

It seems to be common that 6-year-olds don't quite grasp their addition and subtraction maths yet. When I was doing these with ds, I also backed off, slowed down, re-did.. And ds is in MM 3B now, doing really well. He understands, uses his operations effectively, etc.

Well, wanted to give an update. We have just used manipulatives (units from our base ten blocks set) and they are getting every answer flawlessly minus the miscounting, etc... but they definitely know the concept of addition with manipulatives.

I am pleased enough to just continue forward with MM1 and see where it leads us. Hopefully, eventually it will all click but until then we will trudge forward with our manipulatives.

Thank you everyone for your posts of suggestions and encouragement!

Woohoo! Don't you love an easy solution?! :D

Sometimes kids just need to use the manipulatives a bit longer. Just keep them handy while doing the work. They'll eventually put them down when it is easier to do it without them.

Incidentally, 1B teaches how to use an abacus. The RS abacus is excellent (and it's only $10 at Rainbow Resource, btw). So after 1B, you might switch to that for your daily manipulative use, especially when you get to adding/subtracting 2 and 3-digit numbers.

It's perfectly normal for a 1st grader to still need manipulatives for their math. :)

thank you for the recommendation and encouragement :)

I definitely agree that you need manipulatives - when you talk about teaching math there seems to be a lot of drawing pictures/bubbles and they actually need to touch real objects.

Some disagree with this, and my son hated manipulatives. I used as few as I could get away with for K4 and K5 and by 1st he would have nothing to do with them. If I trotted them out, he'd clap his hand over his eyes and say, "I'm THINKING."

Dear OP :grouphug:, oh how I know your pain.

I kept moving. A certain number of weeks on a topic, and the child develops an impervious glaze. I actually found my son "got" subtraction more easily than addition.:001_huh: Ditto multiplication. :glare:

I kept labeling number bonds for a problem. I introduced the bar method. We did addition bingo, we did Sum Swamp and later Zeus on the Loose.

I finally put out a table so we could move onto addition of hundreds and thousands. I got that advice here.

Sometimes, just so we didn't both cry, we'd do word problems and he'd just tell me the steps, and I'd jot them down and do the math. He needed to not feel like a floundering failure just because he took a long time to memorize his math facts.

I didn't read all of the responses, but I wanted to add my two cents. If your children understand the concept of adding, but are not putting in the mental "effort", perhaps what worked for my son will work for them. He would constantly guess or count wrong even with manipulatives. What I did was for every question make it into a story,then I would have him close his eyes and "see" it in his head. Once he was invested enough to go though the whole mental image he would get the answer right. He is starting to make all kinds of connection to numbers in his mind. Just today we were doing 3+6, his first answer was ten, I told him to make a story and check his answer in his head. With his eyes closed and talking softly to himself I heard him saying something like this:

Ok so six is that big, and if I put 3 more.. no... that's to small.. it can't be ten.. ok so six and four make ten, so one less would be 9 , ok so 5 and 4 is nine.. no supposed to be six so put the one from there over here ok that makes six and three,

I have no clue what he was picturing,and I rarely ask because he gets really self conscious about it.. but hey it works for him.. We are really close to being able to drill math facts, a point I though was far off before finding this "trick"

Hope you find what works for your girls...