Menu

Dangerous Book for Boys/Darin Book for Girls as main curriculum?

momto2Cs

I'm going for it! I figured I can take both books, and The Dangerous Book of Heroes, make a spiffy spreadsheet with categories; ancient history, science, American history, poetry, folklore, physical activities, etc. And then we'll go from there!

I like too that a lot of the topics overlap a little, like female pirates in the girls' book and male pirates in the boys' book, so I can combine the two.

It is going to be AWEsome! :w00t:

I'm going for it! I figured I can take both books, and The Dangerous Book of Heroes, make a spiffy spreadsheet with categories; ancient history, science, American history, poetry, folklore, physical activities, etc. And then we'll go from there!

I like too that a lot of the topics overlap a little, like female pirates in the girls' book and male pirates in the boys' book, so I can combine the two.

It is going to be AWEsome! :w00t:

Want some Daring Buddies? My girls are young but I would be down for trying to piece something fun to add to our practical living activities. I currently own the Daring Book for Girls but would be up picking up the others. I knew there was a boy version but I haven't heard of heroes one.

I'm going to run upstairs and dust off my Daring book. I think I got it as a baby present shortly after the birth of my first daughter. I never gave it much thought but I love your idea. I never knew what I had collecting dust on the shelf!!!

Want some Daring Buddies? My girls are young but I would be down for trying to piece something fun to add to our practical living activities. I currently own the Daring Book for Girls but would be up picking up the others. I knew there was a boy version but I haven't heard of heroes one.

I'm going to run upstairs and dust off my Daring book. I think I got it as a baby present shortly after the birth of my first daughter. I never gave it much thought but I love your idea. I never knew what I had collecting dust on the shelf!!!

Absolutely!

Would you share?? :bigear:

I understand if you are doing planning and such and don't want to share.

No problem. I don't have much yet, but I did whip up a spreadsheet with basic categories - history, science, physical activities/games/sports, language arts, and miscellaneous. I went through the table of contents of each and filled in the spreadsheet accordingly.

My next plan is to go through and see how many topics overlap from the books, like The Golden Age of Piracy in the boys book, and female pirates in the girls book. Then I can offer some unit studies to the kids in science and history. We'll add in the handicrafts on a regular basis, and try a new sport every couple of months.

I'll keep you updated when its more organized!

We actually just, in the last couple of minutes, decided on the first official unit (after we get through a self-made unit on mythical creatures)...

Flight:

Boys' Book: Wright Brothers, "best paper airplane ever"

Girls' Book: various paper airplane model designs

Adding in: books on history of airplanes, more on the Wright Brothers (there's a good Landmark book on them), Amelia Earheart, a trip to the local air museum, maybe something on Lindburgh, and something on Da Vinchi's Flying machine designs. a movie or documentary or two. Scientifically this brings in several concepts too: Bernoulli principal, lift, friction, etc.

• Like 1

Some links that may be helpful, but probably not very much. :D

http://www.freehomeschooling101.com/2011/07/using-scouts-as-frugal-curriculum.html

www.dangerousbookforboys.com

http://www.ourdangerousboys.com

I read some negative reviews of The Dangerous Book of Heroes or at least saying it is for older (like teens) kids. I haven't read it myself, just putting that out there, that maybe you want to preread it to get an idea.

• Like 1

Some links that may be helpful, but probably not very much. :D

http://www.freehomeschooling101.com/2011/07/using-scouts-as-frugal-curriculum.html

www.dangerousbookforboys.com

http://www.ourdangerousboys.com

I read some negative reviews of The Dangerous Book of Heroes or at least saying it is for older (like teens) kids. I haven't read it myself, just putting that out there, that maybe you want to preread it to get an idea.

Thanks for the links and the heads-up! I might hold off on the Heroes book for a while since there is already so much in the other 2 books.

• 3 months later...

I am co teaching a co-op class next semester using these books. Very excited!!! Will have to check out those links and would be interested in any others. I have not found any yet but will post if I do:D

Umm, I hate the Daring Book for Girls. There is some good stuff in there, and then there's parts on how to contact spirits, make someone levitate, etc. under "Sleepover Games." :glare:

However I do love the Dangerous book for boys. I bought it when it first came out to give to ds#1 when he's 8 I figured it would make a good summer project book, but not something to base a school year on.

Umm, I hate the Daring Book for Girls. There is some good stuff in there, and then there's parts on how to contact spirits, make someone levitate, etc. under "Sleepover Games." :glare:

However I do love the Dangerous book for boys. I bought it when it first came out to give to ds#1 when he's 8 I figured it would make a good summer project book, but not something to base a school year on.

Oh, that's horrible. I'll have to make sure that there is none of that in the Wii game. I never saw anything like that.

• 3 years later...

I am resurrecting this old thread to hear how this turned out for the OP and in hopes that someone may have more current links to blog posts about using these books as curriculum or unit study. I am planning to use the dangerous/daring books as a spine for our sm. group co-op and I would love some inspiration.

• Like 1

Not the OP, but we actually did this.  I built a course study around the Dangerous Book For Boys and included a few others:

Adventure!  Thrilling Tales of Discovery

A knot book

The American Boy's Handy Book

and MBTP lit guides for The Hobbit, The Giver, and My Side Of The Mountain

We did this in addition to/in place of some of our usual studies.  At the beginning of the year I went through the essential item list in DBFB and packaged it up for my kid along with 550 cord.  Each week we went through the book.  I paired up the history lessons with what we were learning in history, the pages on grammar during language arts....we skipped the fishing practical (he won't eat what he catches) and the hunting, but he did learn archery.  We did a LOT of outdoor lessons!  It's been 5 years and I just pulled the books off his shelf to see the actual titles - I did not realize how well worn they were.  I think it was our most fun year to date. :)  I'd love to repeat it with the little one in a few years and maybe just tweak it a little. :)

• Like 1

Not the OP, but we actually did this.  I built a course study around the Dangerous Book For Boys and included a few others:

Adventure!  Thrilling Tales of Discovery

A knot book

The American Boy's Handy Book

and MBTP lit guides for The Hobbit, The Giver, and My Side Of The Mountain

We did this in addition to/in place of some of our usual studies.  At the beginning of the year I went through the essential item list in DBFB and packaged it up for my kid along with 550 cord.  Each week we went through the book.  I paired up the history lessons with what we were learning in history, the pages on grammar during language arts....we skipped the fishing practical (he won't eat what he catches) and the hunting, but he did learn archery.  We did a LOT of outdoor lessons!  It's been 5 years and I just pulled the books off his shelf to see the actual titles - I did not realize how well worn they were.  I think it was our most fun year to date. :)  I'd love to repeat it with the little one in a few years and maybe just tweak it a little. :)

Thanks, very inspiring- I am really excited about this idea!

I saw the title of the thread and was just coming in to mention this. My dd received the book as a gift, and while flipping through it, I found the seance page. I didn't want to throw out the book, so I just tore out the page. Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland

I love the ideas of these books, but I hate that they've divided them up by gender. My dd is the type who notices stuff like that, and if I used the Dangerous Book for Boys for our school, she'd be asking me ten times a day if it's really only for boys, and if she's not supposed to learn this stuff because she's a girl.  :glare:

If anyone knows of similar books but without the stupid gender stuff, please share.

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree Mergath. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any non-gender specific books. I have boys and girls so I have the luxury of having everyone work and read from both. You could make a cover fro the book and then alter the title page ala altered books and make it the dangerous book for boys AND girls.

Not exactly the same, but the people who wrote The American Boy's/Girls Handy Books also wrote one called the Fair Weather And Rainy Day Handy Book, which is non-gendered.  It offers inside and outside activities much the same way (there's also a Field And Forest one for more of a nature theme)

• Like 2