Menu

Educational songs that are more geeky than 'kiddy'?

Trying to put together an 'educational' music playlist for my 11 year old, who is too old for most 'kid's' music like Raffi and Laurie Berkner. We got this idea because she's trying to memorize Tom Lehrer's 'The Elements' and Jonathan Coulton's 'The Presidents'.

Here's what I have so far -

The Elements / New Math - Tom Lehrer

The Presidents / That Spells DNA / Mandelbrot Set - Jonathan Coulton (there's a little language here, but that's not a problem for us)

Wakko's World / America / Universe - Animaniacs (this is about as far as she's willing to go into 'kid's music')

James K Polk / Meet James Ensor - They Might be Giants

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

They Might Be Giants has a whole CD of songs about science. Some of 'em are pretty meh, but my kids enjoy the CD.

:iagree: My kids love They Might Be Giants, especially their science CD. Now, some of their songs are definitely aimed at an older audience, but they do have a few "educational" songs.

Has he heard of the Vlog Brothers . . . John and Hank Green? Nerdfighters!!! One of them wrote a best selling young adult book and they are currently on tour promoting it. ANYway, the other one writes music and they have a YouTube channel. I'll get you started with the quark song.

Edited by KungFuPanda