Menu

Turmeric

Have you heard anything about turmeric and cancer prevention benefits? My DH told me that there was only one study so far, but he may be at risk for some of the types of cancer that it prevents.

So anyone taking turmeric? If so, in what form.

I told my DH that we should just add a little to all kinds of meals. Tonight I added a dash to tomato soup.

Yes, tumeric has very good healing properties. Great for inflammation. I know at times my right shoulder starts hurting. If I use tumeric it stops.

I do it a bit differently and drink it as a 6% solution. 1 Quart filtered water to 1 TBSP of tumeric. Simmer for 15 minutes and let cool. You can drink it. Though the first time it can be tough to get down, it has like a woody taste to it. But if you keep at it then it becomes like drinking anything else. You just do. I got used to the taste quickly.

Some people use tumeric capsules.

I add it to our egg salad sandwiches and other recipes.

Thanks for all the replies. My DH bought some turmeric and ginger tea Republic of Tea brand.

I wonder if turmeric needs to be fresher than the jar of spice we have in our spice rack?

I think I look into growing it.

I found a fun idea about growing ginger, so why not turmeric.

I am a big believer in ingesting things as foods rather than as supplements. Tumeric can be put into a lot of foods as you suggest, but if you put enough in, it will taste like curry. I'd suggest just having curried dishes a few times a week. There are tons of other good for you herbs and spices in curry and it is easy to make with whatever meat or beans, veges, and even fruits you happen to have on hand.

Besides curry, I will put it in macaroni and cheese (but not enough to make a huge difference with inflammation just in that dish--I figure it all adds up), and in barbecue sauce. In small enough quantities, you can use it where you would mustard. I make a honey-tumeric dip for chicken, for instance.

Here's all the info I have. I need to remember to use it more often. I've been slack lately.

CURCUMIN, AKA TURMERIC

Powerful antioxidant

Anti-aging properties

Most powerful natural anti-inflammatory

#1 anti-cancer spice

To be assimilated by the body, turmeric must be mixed with black pepper and dissolved in olive, canola, or linseed oil.

All of us should regularly consume a soupspoon (sounds like a lot) of turmeric every day, with a generous pinch of pepper and olive oil. You can use it in your salad dressings, cooking, vegetables, and soups

In store-bought curry mixes, turmeric represents only 20% of the total, so it’s better to obtain turmeric directly

Because powdered turmeric is a powerful blood-cleansing herb, don’t overdo it.

Research has shown that turmeric in capsules is poorly absorbed by the digestive system.

When turmeric is not mixed with pepper or ginger, it does not pass the intestinal barrier. Pepper increases the body’s absorption of turmeric by 2000 percent

CAUTION: Some brands of turmeric powder and supplements have been found to be contaminated with heavy metals themselves. Make sure to obtain a high quality brand.

ANTI-CANCER PROPERTIES

Turmeric is the #1 anti-cancer spice

Turmeric and piperine (black pepper) can limit the growth of stem cells for breast cancer -- the cells that conventional treatment have the hardest time eliminating.

Has been shown to inhibit growth in a large number of cancers – colon, prostate, lung, liver, stomach, breast, ovarian, brain, and leukemia

It inhibits angiogenesis and forces cancer cells to die (through the process of cell suicide known as apoptosis)

Indians have much lower cancers overall – despite their exposure to numerous carcinogens in their environment, often on a worse scale than in the West

Studies have shown that it can kill off cancer cells, even within 24 hours!

CAUTION: Note that it is often safest to avoid turmeric during chemotherapy as well as a three days before and after the treatment. This is because it can – rarely, but it can – interfere with some chemotherapy treatments and reduce their benefits.

Turmeric regulates estrogen receptors, and helps the body eliminate carcinogens.

ALZHEIMER’S AND COGNITIVE DECLINE

May reduce the buildup of beta-amyloid proteins in the brain, a hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease

India consumes the bulk of the turmeric produced in the world. They have one-third the rate of Alzheimer's than does the United States (which affects half of Americans over 85)

PROTECTS LIVER

Regular consumption of turmeric has been shown to protect against fewer lesions of the liver

Turmeric acts specifically on bile and also has significant anti-inflammatory properties

FIGHTS TOXIC MATERIALS

Other studies have suggested that turmeric may actively fight the toxic effects of heavy metals (such as mercury); certain pesticides (especially those that simulate the effect of estrogens); and several other chemical toxins present in our modern environment.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY

Powerful anti-inflammatory

Some studies suggest it works to ease the pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis

It may also help with other inflammatory conditions, such as tendinitis, and it may even protect your heart

Effective and healthier alternative to many pain medications – Advil, Motrin, Rx drugs

IMPROVES DIGESTION

Safe and effective digestive aid

TURMERIC blocks the mechanisms that break down bone as you age. Turmeric also prevents arthritis by stopping the action of a protein that triggers joint inflammation.

^"Research has shown that turmeric in capsules is poorly absorbed by the digestive system."

I have not heard that before. Anyone with info?

TIA

I can't compare capsules to straight but capsules still work for us here. There is better absorption if they contain black pepper. I believe it is also fat soluble so is better absorbed if taken with some kind of fat.

http://www.gwens-nest.com/natural-remedies/turmeric-a-spice-worth-knowing

^"Research has shown that turmeric in capsules is poorly absorbed by the digestive system."

I have not heard that before. Anyone with info?

TIA

Sorry, nope. I read this somewhere and I most often read from credible and reliable sources. I never copy and paste my references. :tongue_smilie: You could google that sentence and see what comes up. Like anything, food is far better than supplements. I do take supplements, but prefer to go for the natural source when I can.

For the record, it makes me itch.

The first day I consume some, I'll be Very Wide Awake; by the third day (if I have it every day) I'll be itchy all over.

Obviously I'm having an inflammatory response to it. Ironic, yes? I'm just throwing it out there because I'm not alone in this -- many others are sensitive to turmeric and curcumin.

For the record, it makes me itch.

The first day I consume some, I'll be Very Wide Awake; by the third day (if I have it every day) I'll be itchy all over.

Obviously I'm having an inflammatory response to it. Ironic, yes? I'm just throwing it out there because I'm not alone in this -- many others are sensitive to turmeric and curcumin.

Is it a sensitivity or just your body cleaning things out? Itching is a classic detox symptom.

Is it a sensitivity or just your body cleaning things out? Itching is a classic detox symptom.

Sensitivity.

I mentioned it simply to let others know that it's possible to have a reaction to ingredients that are supposedly soooo good for us, and that are doing wonderful things for all of our friends. Another example: younger dd can't be around lavender at all. Even a sachet stuck in a drawer with clothing will render her itchy when she wears an item of clothing from the drawer. For most people lavender is soothing, and a way to calm itchy skin; for her it's the opposite.

And, trying to be gentle here and not saying you are doing this AT ALL, sometimes people are so invested in the idea of a particular substance being "good" that they claim any negative side effects are "detox", so they'll keep taking the offending substance (or following the protocol) well past the point they should give it up.

Sensitivity.

I mentioned it simply to let others know that it's possible to have a reaction to ingredients that are supposedly soooo good for us, and that are doing wonderful things for all of our friends. Another example: younger dd can't be around lavender at all. Even a sachet stuck in a drawer with clothing will render her itchy when she wears an item of clothing from the drawer. For most people lavender is soothing, and a way to calm itchy skin; for her it's the opposite.

And, trying to be gentle here and not saying you are doing this AT ALL, sometimes people are so invested in the idea of a particular substance being "good" that they claim any negative side effects are "detox", so they'll keep taking the offending substance (or following the protocol) well past the point they should give it up.

I totally understand what you are saying. :)

And what works for one person does not necessarily work for another. And for someone else that one thing might just be one piece of a very large puzzle.

Sensitivity.

Every time I've ever eaten tumeric I get gastrointestinal upset. I have no idea why. It stinks, because I love yellow rice, but every time I eat it I get sick.