Menu

"Help! I'm Married to a Homeschooling Mom!"

Does the title of this book rub anyone else the wrong way? It is being advertised in an email I received today. I don't know anything about it, but WOW does the title bug me. I mean... "HELP"?!?!? What about "Lucky Me, My Wife is Working Her Butt Off for the Love of Our Children"? Why do HS Dads need some kind of emergency aid? My dh's life is not hard b/c of our choice to homeschool. And I can't stand that it seems to communicate that this poor guy (and all the other dads who pick up this book) just "found himself" married to a homeschooler. UM... wasn't it a group decision???

Rant over. But come on, I know I'm not the only one, right?

Or is this book awesome and just badly named?

I've never read it, but I have heard it's a great book with a lot of good information and help for dads whose wives homeschool. I'm pretty sure the title is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Personally, I feel like my husband often gets the worst of me. There's not much left after being a teacher and mom day in and day out. Even though he's 100% suppportive and is my biggest fan, I'm sure he feels like shouting, "HELP! I'm married to a homeschooling mom!" a lot of days.

Does the title of this book rub anyone else the wrong way? It is being advertised in an email I received today. I don't know anything about it, but WOW does the title bug me. I mean... "HELP"?!?!? What about "Lucky Me, My Wife is Working Her Butt Off for the Love of Our Children"? Why do HS Dads need some kind of emergency aid? My dh's life is not hard b/c of our choice to homeschool. And I can't stand that it seems to communicate that this poor guy (and all the other dads who pick up this book) just "found himself" married to a homeschooler. UM... wasn't it a group decision???

I would consider it a desperate attempt to draw attention to a book that otherwise can't stand on its own merits. There are thousands of them out there. I wouldn't give it another thought, and I'd forget about it within five seconds.

Yeah, it sounds like it's written from the mentality that kids and wives and family life are so rough, so poor him his wife is a homeschooling mom. Homeschooling is a family decision (most of the time) even if Dad isn't the one doing it, he at least gave the thumbs up to go ahead.

Reminds me how far we've come from 'mainstream' society in our attitudes towards our families and our children.

Or maybe we're just sore sports and can't take a light joke.... but ya I don't like that title too much.

It is an amazing book. I love Todd Wilson. Here is a link to Amazon, you can see that the rest of the title is Showing Dads How to Meet the Needs of their Homeschooling Wives.

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Im-Married-Homeschooling-Mom/dp/0802429432/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327930515&sr=1-1

His wife homeschools and he writes and speaks to dads about getting more involved (if they are not, many dads are) His website is Familyman ministries, and the title is Reminding Dads About Whats Most Important. My dh, who is very involved in our homeschooling reads his books and gets his emails. He is very encouraging and FUNNY!!

If you look at his site, he has several homeschool cartoon books that are really funny.

His book Lies Homeschool Moms believe is very encouraging for me.

Here is his site.

http://familymanweb.com/

Sheri

I've never read it, but I have heard it's a great book with a lot of good information and help for dads whose wives homeschool. I'm pretty sure the title is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Personally, I feel like my husband often gets the worst of me. There's not much left after being a teacher and mom day in and day out. Even though he's 100% suppportive and is my biggest fan, I'm sure he feels like shouting, "HELP! I'm married to a homeschooling mom!" a lot of days.

:iagree:

I haven't read the book, either, but I have met the author at a homeschooling convention a few years ago. He seems to be a nice guy, a great dad (from what I saw of his interaction with his son, who was with him), and is incredibly supportive of homeschooling.

Like the pp, my DH often gets the short end of the stick, since I'm pouring myself into my kids all day long. I agree--I think the title is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but also helps to connect with dads. If a dad isn't making sacrifices for his kids' homeschooling, then something's not right. And there's nothing wrong with admitting that it's tough on dads, too.

My DH owns the book. He said it doesn't mean, "Help, I'm stuck here with this crazy woman!", it means, "Help me help my wife!" The rest of the title (Showing Dads How to Meet the Needs of their Homeschooling Wives) definitely explains the first part.

I'm pretty sure the title is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

It doesn't bother me, it's humorous, and tongue-in-cheek, and there's a lot of stuff my husband's had to adjust to since I started homeschooling. I've never heard of this book so I don't know if it's about how to help the dad adjust or how to help the dad be a help, but either way I can certainly understand it! :D

See growing up Homeschooled and watching my mom homeschool 9 kids... and now becoming a homeschooling mother myself.... whether the title was meant as "help me help my wife" or Help, I am married to a homeschooling wife"

I can see both sides. Yeah, my DH supports me totally and my Dad supported my mom totally but I remember not having a nice clean house, with a completely "make-up on, hair barely combed, forget waiting at the door with slipper" kinda mom and wife... it is same for me now.

Now matter how hard we try, when we choose the homeschooling route (unless you are a type-A very highly energized kinda super mom... I know a few) then a lot of the time the husband kinda gets what is left over. No matter how hard we try...something has to give... in my house it won't be education...growing up my Dad never knew where two matching socks were...

This is a rambling message to say. I totally get that title of the book. I think it was meant to be funny... not derogatory.

My DH owns the book. He said it doesn't mean, "Help, I'm stuck here with this crazy woman!", it means, "Help me help my wife!" The rest of the title (Showing Dads How to Meet the Needs of their Homeschooling Wives) definitely explains the first part.

:iagree::iagree:

My dh likes the book. He has actually told me not to read it, as it has ideas for ways he can surprise me.

I have read his comics, they make me laugh. I am one of those people that rather than be insulted by the humor, it makes me feel less alone. Someone else has had those days.

I have not read this book, but have the one on homeschool lies moms believe and it is a wonderful book. That book is written around cartoon drawings that always make me giggle. (Most hit way too close to home! :lol:) It is a nice, refreshing book to read when I am feeling worn-out or discouraged. I would assume the one geared for the fathers is much the same.

If a dad isn't making sacrifices for his kids' homeschooling, then something's not right. And there's nothing wrong with admitting that it's tough on dads, too.

I have a very good homeschool friend whose husband has made no sacrifices for them to homeschool, even though he is the one wanting the educated at home. It is, to me, a very strange relationship/partnership.

Okay, so it looks like he's a great guy and it's an encouraging book. I admit it, I didn't read past the title -- the subtitle does give a better sense of the book's "heart." I'm all for husbands meeting their homeschooling wives' needs. ;) I still think it's a dumb title. I guess I just feel like it's so far from expressing the partnership dh and I have regarding our kids. But whatever. Guess I'm in the minority of those easily annoyed by this title. I'm cool with that. :D

I have a very good homeschool friend whose husband has made no sacrifices for them to homeschool, even though he is the one wanting the educated at home. It is, to me, a very strange relationship/partnership.

Yeah, that's bizarre. My dh is fully invested. Homeschooling is not "my thing" it's OUR thing. Yes, I do most of the teaching. But he supports it/me in so many ways.

LOL, I seem to be the only other one turned off by the title. In-your-face funny has never appealed to me. And the thought of my dh reading a book to help him help me to homeschool???

:smilielol5:

Dh is my biggest supporter. But for him to read a book on the subject just wouldn't happen! The only humor we read around here seems to be Calvin & Hobbes. :001_smile:

I still think it's a dumb title. I guess I just feel like it's so far from expressing the partnership dh and I have regarding our kids. But whatever. Guess I'm in the minority of those easily annoyed by this title. I'm cool with that. :D

I'll join you in the minority. I think the title reflects Wilson's worldview. It does sound borderline derogatory to me. I once heard him speak at a conference, and he made a joke out of the name of a local Native American tribe that he'd just learned about. My friend, who was sitting next to me, muttered under her breath, "Careful, be careful..." while I sat there fuming. I'm willing to bet we weren't the only ones in that room who were shocked. I wrote him an e-mail after that, telling him that what he did could easily have been offensive to people in that room; and I never heard back from him. I am not impressed with him nor his humour at all.

I love that book! I think you are probably just having a bad day. Difficult days make me overly sensitive sometimes too. ;)