Menu

Staying warm in the kitchen?

Despite setting the thermostat at 71, I'm nearly always cold. I typically wear t-shirts but have been trying to wear long sleeves to keep warmer, but doing so reminds me of why I always wear short sleeves...

I cook and wash dishes three times a day. Sometimes I add making bread and dessert to that.

Long sleeves get wet while washing dishes. I push them up and they fall down repeatedly. By the time I'm done with the dishes my sleeves are wet, dirty, and soapy from pushing them up.

Similar problem with baking. Repeatedly pushing my sleeves up means they are covered in flour and dough by the time I'm done.

If I roll my sleeves, they get all stretched out.

Am I doing something wrong or does everyone have wet, floury, doughy sleeves?

I'd try a different kind of shirt. I wear long sleeve shirts about 9 months of the year and I don't have problems with them falling down. I'm partial to the waffle knit shirts that Kohl's sells (or did sell I haven't bought any for a few years), they are Sonoma brand. I has have a lightweight fleece coat that I wear over the top when I'm really cold (about 6 months of the year), and it has elastic wrists and doesn't slide down either.

:D This is the time of year when my dutch oven gets put into overdrive.

Our water heater went out last night. Since we have radiators, that meant no heat, either. I started up a pot of enchilada meat this morning and let it simmer for the next six hours while we waited for the repairman to get here. Tomorrow night will be a yummy dinner!

We're cold here a lot since whole house heating just isn't done here.

My mom bought me a big fluffy terrycloth robe when I was last in the States! It has made life so much better for me. It's like a blanket that I can wear around everywhere. The terrycloth traps a lot of air and makes me so nice and warm.

The fabric is thick enough that I can fold the sleeves up and inward when I do the dishes or anything else in the kitchen. They stay dry and clean! I got it in white so that I can bleach it whenever I drop anything on it.

I totally recommend trying it.

I always wear a longsleeved thermal vest (they're colourful and pretty, so are OK visible beneath a pullover), a woollen pullover, and a thick woollen cardigan on top. With so many layers, pushed up sleeves tend to stay pushed up when washing dishes. And I mostly stay warm ;).

Best wishes

Cassy

Wear a rubber band on each wrist (the kind for pony tails). Use it to secure your sleeves higher when you push them up. THis from someone who is always hot...especially when in the kitchen.

This is what I do.

I usually wear a light sweater every day (we keep the house at 64 degrees)

I put a rubber band about an inch from the end of the sleeve, then roll the sleeve so there is a small cuff. Push them up and they stay.

I was the same way until I discovered the joy of boot style slippers. With cozy socks and these slippers I stay toasty.

Here's similar styles to what I have:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/features/slippers/womens/bootslipper/PRD~917602/Mudd+FauxFur+Cuffed+Fairisle+Bootie+Slippers.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524892809257&crosssell=true

When my feet are this warm, the rest of me feels just fine (no longer cold in a t-shirt).

If I'm going to be constantly in things (such as a baking day) I wear a tshirt with a flannel shirt over it or warm cardigan.

Otherwise, I buy long-sleeved shirts that are better quality. Either they are 3/4 sleeves or they have buttons or straps for rolling them up or they are the quality which do not stretch out easily. I also find if I layer its easier to roll/push up my sleeves.