Menu

Hermione -- and other strong female characters in lit....

"Jupiter's biggest moon is Ganymede, not Callisto," she said, pointing over Ron's shoulder at a line in his Astronomy essay...

Dd8 pointed this sentence out to me yesterday. She says H is 'inspiring' and :iagree:.

What other lit titles (late elementary/middle school) can you recommend which include strong female characters?

Thanks in advance!

Theodosia Throckmorton in the series by R.L. LaFevers.

Violet Baudelaire in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Kate Weatherall in the Mysterious Benedict Society series by Trenton Lee Stewart.

Emily Snow in the Invisible Order series by Paul Crilley.

The various heroines in Gail Carson Levine's books.

Lisa Yee's Millicent Min, Girl Genius might fit. Millicent is profoundly gifted and has to figure out how she might (and whether she wants to) fit in with other kids her age. I'm partial to this author because my son e-mailed her with a question about her books and she responded quickly and enthusiastically. Love her!

I really like The Strictest School in the World and its sequels... Emmaline is the main character, and a young airplane designer (turn of the century, steampunkish but fluffy). They're really cute books, and all three of the young main characters are self-reliant and intelligent. The adults are a little nuts... ;)

Un Lun Dun

Tiffany Aching books by Pratchett (Wee Free Men is the first; you may wish to pre-read the final book, I Shall Wear Midnight)

Zahrah the Windseeker (terrible cover, good book)

East by Pattou

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her own Making

Breadcrumbs and The Cronus Chronicles by Ursu

Kiki Strike

Ronia, the Robber's Daughter

Howl's Moving Castle

The Mousehunter

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

For something a bit different and close to home:

Boston Jane (there are sequels, but I haven't read them)

Edited by nmoira

What other lit titles (late elementary/middle school) can you recommend which include strong female characters?

This site should lead you to some titles with strong female characters:

http://childrensbooks.about.com/cs/strongfemales/a/strongfemales.htm

Off the top of my head: Heidi, Anne of Green Gables, The View From Saturday.

Skellig has a strong female character in Mina, who is also homeschooled. I just checked it out on Amazon, and I see now that David Almond has written Mina's story in the book My Name is Mina.

Maybe Number the Stars by Lois Lowry?

There is also Great Books for Girls (as well as Great Books for Boys) by Kathleen Odean that lists hundreds of books.

I remember fondly reading the book, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle as a young girl and LOVING it.

You might want to look it over though- the girl does, through a series of events, end up defying her parents. But I really don't feel the message is one of rebellion. Anyway, the quick summary is she was a passenger on a ship whose crew ended up in mutiny against the captain and she had to think on her feet in order to survive... there's a murder, suspense, and intrigue.

I loved it. I see they changed the cover on the book. The one I had and can literally see whenever I think about it is this one that I had.

Awwww memories. I love reading. :tongue_smilie:

Meg in A Wrinkle in Time is a really fabulous example.

Claudia in From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is another, though not so perfect as Meg, I don't think.

I had forgotten about that book.... it was a favorite of ours for years! Mrs. Frankweiler herself isn't bad either, but perhaps not the sort of character that a young reader identifies with... LOL

Actually in that vein... I distinctly remember how much I enjoyed reading the Miss Marple stories, even when I was young, because finally there was a little old lady character who wasn't helpless. The older I get, the more I appreciate that... but even when I was young it struck me. :)

I had forgotten about that book.... it was a favorite of ours for years! Mrs. Frankweiler herself isn't bad either, but perhaps not the sort of character that a young reader identifies with... LOL

I always loved Claudia, too. To this day, whenever I hear somebody say, "Stay put," I secretly think, "Stay in place."

You guys already hit most of my favorites. How about The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly? DD *loved* it, and it inspired her to start "the Notebook" and to want to be a biologist. It's about a 10 year old girl living in Texas in 1899, only girl in a family of 7 brothers, mom's pressuring her to be "girlie" but all she wants to do is hang out outside with her crochety grandfather and do "natural history." FWIW, if you think Charles Darwin is evil and/or you shun all mention of natural selection, this probably isn't the book for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Meg in A Wrinkle in Time is a really fabulous example.

Claudia in From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is another, though not so perfect as Meg, I don't think.

Madeleine L'Engle, "A Wrinkle in Time."

Abbey & HG, Dd is starting AWiT today. Thanks for the tip! I remember watching this at the Seattle Children's Theater in 4th grade.

ETA: Dd just asked me what a tesseract is. I'm in trouble.:confused:

Edited by Beth in SW WA

My 9 yr old daughter insists on reading novels with female protagonists. I'm not too picky on whether the book is totally appropriate for younger kids, so you might want to pre-read first, but her current absolute favorite is Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men and sequels. I read it and enjoyed it too.

• 2 weeks later...

Dd is reading The Miracle Worker play today. She loves it.

Not a fictional character, but a strong female for sure. Anne Sullivan was a genius. Dd enjoyed this

as older women.

She will read The Story Of My Life by Hellen Keller in LL7. It's on the shelf waiting for my LL to arrive. :)

Perhaps I should start a new thread about 'real life' strong females for our kids to study....

Perhaps I should start a new thread about 'real life' strong females for our kids to study....
Nellie Bly :001_smile: