Menu

Help me convince my DH that I can homeschool my twins for K!

I am sitting here in tears.... My Dh just told me he feels strongly that my twins need to go to public school next year for K. I am currently HS'ing my 10th DS because he had so abuse issues going on at PS for 9th grade and really wanted to come home. I was expecting to HS my twins and have been loosely teaching them this year with no real schedule.

He says they need the "experience" and that I don't have a degree in teaching. I have been to college and graduated with a degree in computer science. I threw the agrument out there that I think I am fully qualified to teach K and he immediately turns around and asks my son who just turned 5 to spell his name. Which he can't but he can write it. to be honest it just isn't something that I have worked on seriously with them. Teaching ABC's, letter sounds, numbers, lots of reading, calendar time, and our address is what I teaching them. I guess I forgot to be able to spell your name out loud.

I am very religous but my DH is not so prayer won't work. I can argue him down and all he ever says is that he will never win with me. right now he comes and quzzies the kids every day on what they have done and learned and just ticks me off to no end. he says its just conversation but he doesn't quiz my step-DD when she gets off the bus other than say "how was school".

He says they need the structure, the other teachers and principles, and the environment for them to learn the most. That the education that I would provide them isn't up to par to the public school. Granted our schools are good but my step-DD is a below average reader in 2nd grade when she knew how to read when she started K. Their "techniques" on reading screwed her up. But I can't bring that up because I am picking on her.

So I need to some help trying to convince him. I feel really strongly about them being home. I struggle daily getting the house work done, getting my 10th grader to do his work and his classes outside of school, and getting the little ones schooled. I guess I do need more structure within my household but is that what is going to keep me from schooling them?

Thanks for listening. :)

Prayer works, whether your husband is a believer or not.

I can't help you convince your husband. I've never had that issue. In fact, my husband had the idea to homeschool originally. I think it would be impossible for me to homeschool with his support.

I can tell you I wouldn't appreciate being told I wasn't capable of teaching kindergarten. I wouldn't appreciate being treated as if I had no say so in my kids' education. Homeschooling is a major part of our life, and I don't want anyone, my husband included, to try and take that away. That said, I wouldn't risk my marriage over it. I know mine would never come to that, but I don't know about yours.

:grouphug: Sounds like you are doing a good job with them!

Personally, I would be highly offended if my dh didn't think I was competent enough to teach my kid Kindergarten skills. As far as I know, Advanced Rocket Science is not part of the public school K curriculum. :glare:

I think you need to sit him down and make a list of all his concerns, so you can address them all at once, rather than in daily bickering. Then, tell him you want to homeschool for kindergarten, and at the end of the year, the two of you will evaluate whether or not it's working for your family. BUT... you need to make sure he provides you with concrete, realistic written goals for the year, so he can't say, "Oh, I can't believe they don't know their multiplication tables yet, so they need to go to public school next year."

If you're already successfully hsing your older child, why would your dh have a problem with something like kindergarten, which is so much less complex?

I think you should also see if there are homeschool groups in your area, as knowing that your kids will meet other kids may go a long way toward convincing him that you're right.

But honestly, I think you need to get him to agree to one year of homeschooling, because my dh wasn't sure about hsing, either, but soon changed his mind once we were actually doing it.

Good luck! :grouphug:

We moved into our town because they are supposedly the best schools around- very highly rated. My older son went to public school for K. It was such a horrible year and I talked to my dh about homeschooling. He was against it, not because he didn't think I'd be able to teach my son, but he thought he needed the "socialization" and "experience". The first grade "experience" was even worse than the rotten K "experience". I started making dh deal with the ridiculous school people and do the ridiculous homework they were sending home. Then, he realized that I was not exaggerating the problems. He agreed to let me homeschool after that.

It doesn't sound like your dh is familiar with preschool age children's abilities. What exactly does he expect them to know at this point? Does he have a degree in early childhood education? Has he done research on typical knowledge base of pre-K children? How is he qualified to judge what they have learned to this point? I would be extremely insulted if my husband didn't think I had the skills to teach Kindergarten, for heaven sake! Pretty much any adult who can read can teach Kindergarten.

:grouphug: Prayer can work on non believers!!! Jesus loves everyone and he knows your situation and he knows your heart. Just pray that he changes your husbands heart and that he gives you peace about whatever happens.

I am sure you are heartbroken to hear such things from your husband. If I were in your shoes I would simply just stay quiet about it and not fight him on it right now. Just keep working with your kiddos the best you can. Approach the issue in a few months and go from there. I know with my husband arguing with him does nothing...he likes to see results. My husband doubted me and now he sees how far my kids have come and he is 100% on board.

Not sure if this will help, but have you thought about printing out the state standards for Kindergarten? That might help him see what a child that age is expected to do by the end of the year and it will help to give you some goals for the year. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to adopt a formalized approach, but at least you have some guidelines of what to teach. My husband was never opposed to homeschooling, but I think it helped when I showed him what we were planning on doing during the year and it also gave him a way to track their progress.

Cindy. :grouphug:

That's a hard one.

Perhaps you could get your dh to sit down and discuss it with you at a time when things are relatively calm? I know sometimes that helps me and my dh. Tell him not just that homeschooling your twins is important to you, but also WHY it is so important.

And then ask him to explain his concerns to you, and ask him to help you guys come to a compromise. Maybe he can explain exactly what he thinks is/will be lacking in their education, and you can make a commitment to him to be diligent in addressing the areas he has concerns over. Maybe he'd be willing to do a 'Let me homeschool them for Kindy, and we can reassess before first grade'. Or even just maybe let you try homeschooling until the second semester of Kindy at least?

Help him see you want a chance, but also that you hear and validate his concerns. Be honest about your struggles with juggling teaching three kids and keeping the house; be willing to admit your shortcomings. But maybe also have a plan of how to improve in certain areas.

I know I struggle with juggling teaching just my two along with being the wife/mom/housekeeper/cook/laundress/chauffer/errand lady/million other hats us moms wear. And sometimes I drop the ball on something. And sometimes, dh feels the need to point out where I dropped the ball. :glare: It's usually best if I can just admit that, yep, I'm lacking there right now, instead of being defensive. It's not easy, to be sure. But it can soften dh's response as well; make him more understanding and sympathetic, instead of being more harsh in his retort because I was defensive.

:grouphug: That's all I got. Remember, even if you put them in ps, all is not lost. It's not a forever decision, either way.

:grouphug: Is the step daughter living with you?

Honestly, I think I'd work on the marriage. It doesn't sound like there is respect or good communication going on between the two of you. I get that...which is why I'm saying it's where to start.

I like Imago therapy or Gottman therapy. If your husband is willing you could see if a therapist who uses one of those approaches is in your area. If he won't see a counselor Gottman has books (I like The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work) or Imago (Getting the Love you Want) both have exercises to work through spelled out in detail. I think the Gottman is easier/less intense but Imago has an absolutely excellent communication technique in it. It's nice to combine them.

Of course you are capable of schooling the K's. But I really don't think that's the big issue here. A friend asked her H if she could just try K and see how it went. He became a fan by the end of the year. I'm not sure that will work here though. Prayer does change things even if he's an unbeliever.

I'd also work on your own self discipline and schedule/routine. I've no advice on that though as it's my weak spot :tongue_smilie:.

I hope this works out for you.

Edited by sbgrace

I assume you meant you can't ask him to pray about it - and apparently you have to prove you've earned the right to HS :( I'm so sorry.

I suppose if you wanted to appease him you could show him all the wonderful social opportunities the children could have. Or you could be not so nice and just not be involved in the PS decision. You know, not get them dressed in the morning or bring them there or pick up the school supplies.

Surely if you can homeschool a 10th grader, you can homeschool K'ers.

Not sure if this will help, but have you thought about printing out the state standards for Kindergarten? That might help him see what a child that age is expected to do by the end of the year and it will help to give you some goals for the year. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to adopt a formalized approach, but at least you have some guidelines of what to teach. My husband was never opposed to homeschooling, but I think it helped when I showed him what we were planning on doing during the year and it also gave him a way to track their progress.

:iagree:

I think that's an excellent idea! If Cindy's dh wants a public school-level education, give it to him. I'm sure it will be considerably less challenging than her dh might expect.

PS. This is the first time I have seen you on the forum, Stephanie -- it's nice to "meet" you! :001_smile:

I'm going to probably step on toes here but I firmly believe, from what you've shared here, that you and your dh need to work on respect and communication issues before you need to think about homeschooling your K students. You can't homeschool effectively in a divided home. :grouphug:

Sounds like there is a lot more going on here than an argument about homeschooling.

From what you said it seems as if there is a large problem in your marriage. I'd suggest counseling for both of you before making any kind of big decision about homeschooling.

HS won't work even if tonight he were suddenly to say yes. You need to get to the root of the disagreements. It seems like there is more. It took my DH 3 years to come around. We're just now getting started with DS1. Even with his blessing and all our plans we still need to start in the summer to reassure him that it will work for our family.

I will also say, prayer DOES work. My husband was an unbeliever and I prayed prayed prayed and it worked! My husband wouldn't even consider HS and after so much prayer... I got him to consider the idea.

As for now what I would do is get the kids started in a more structured program now at home... work with them on the numbers and letters, read to them, etc. Actions speak louder than words. I would go ahead and comply and get them enrolled. You can always send a letter of intent later in the summer.

:iagree: with your :iagree:

Homeschooling is hard enough when everyone is in agreement never mind when you are not. Also, it is hard to homeschool when you have someone in your life wanting you to "prove" it is working. My husband and I were not in perfect agreement on homeschooling before we started and we both agreed to pray that the Lord would change one of our hearts as we felt it was more important that we be in agreement then where our child went to school. You are certainly an involved mother who is looking to do the best by your children and that will carry over even if you do not homeschool at first. Minds can change very quickly and you can find that you and he are more in agreement as time goes on.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My dh was fine with K but beyond that not so much. We have homeschooled now for 5 years. He had a changed of heart over time. :grouphug:

Is it a yours, mine and ours. His dd in public school your ds in HS and your shared twins that he doesn't want at home?

Jenn

I also agree that it sounds like other things are going on besides your dh not wanting you to hs. Showing him K requirements for your state sounds like a good idea, and I would have a calm, informed discussion and ask for a trial run for K, but I wouldn't push it to the point of causing big marital stress and tension.

No one else has mentioned this so I might be off-based, but is it possible that your dh views you wanting to hs as a criticism of his educational choice for step dd? That would explain why he is touchy about talking objectively about the quality of her education, and why he is determined not to do something different with your kids (if he admits hs is better then he will feel guilty about step dd). Just a thought.

Let me add a little more information. My 10th grade son is mine from a previous marriage. My DH adopted him but it was just him and I until Tanner was 9 years old with my ex-husband not involved at all. I felt very strongly about getting him out of PS because of the bullying and abuse he was taking. I did talk to my DH about it and we discussed it but you have to know my DH. He doesn't try to argue or talk about issues with me because he doesn't know what to say or he says stuff that comes out wrong. So it could be that I ignored his "advice" and just did what I wanted. It wouldn't be the first time.

I am seriously ticked he said that I couldn't teach K. But at the beginning of the school year he went out and bought me a shower tile and hung it on the wall for a whiteboard and built me a desk in the playroom for the kids to do their school work. So I think I am getting conflicting signals too. He says I get really defensive when we talk about HS'ing which I do because I feel he is closed minded.

We have been very involved in the homeschooling community for the last few years (I hs'ed my DS for 8th he went back to PS for 9th and now he is back home again). My twins played hs soccer, are signed up to play hs t-ball. My oldest plays hs basketball, soccer and softball. We have a co-op that meets twice a week for my oldest to take psycology and iew writing and we have playdates with the other HS children that are there. So we do have activites outside of the house.

He does have experience with PS because of my step dd. We have her Sunday thru Wed afternoon and get her back every other fri afternoon for the weekend. So we have her alot and I have been making my Dh help her with her homework this year and making her lunch. Which has really helped him realize what she is learning.

He knows I can teach K that is just an excuse. I am not sure what the real problem is because all of his arguments are really weak of fact and are all based on opinion. He just says the environment and structure is conducive to learning. There are no reasons that he can give that the school is better per se just that they are.

I hate feeling this way. I thought we had it all figured out at the beginning of the year. But now it is getting close to K sign-ups and he is back to being pig-headed!!!

Edited by cseitter

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My dh was fine with K but beyond that not so much. We have homeschooled now for 5 years. He had a changed of heart over time. :grouphug:

Is it a yours, mine and ours. His dd in public school your ds in HS and your shared twins that he doesn't want at home?

Jenn

Yep thats us!!!

I am sitting here in tears.... My Dh just told me he feels strongly that my twins need to go to public school next year for K. I am currently HS'ing my 10th DS because he had so abuse issues going on at PS for 9th grade and really wanted to come home. I was expecting to HS my twins and have been loosely teaching them this year with no real schedule.

He says they need the "experience" and that I don't have a degree in teaching. I have been to college and graduated with a degree in computer science. I threw the agrument out there that I think I am fully qualified to teach K and he immediately turns around and asks my son who just turned 5 to spell his name. Which he can't but he can write it. to be honest it just isn't something that I have worked on seriously with them. Teaching ABC's, letter sounds, numbers, lots of reading, calendar time, and our address is what I teaching them. I guess I forgot to be able to spell your name out loud.

I am very religous but my DH is not so prayer won't work. I can argue him down and all he ever says is that he will never win with me. right now he comes and quzzies the kids every day on what they have done and learned and just ticks me off to no end. he says its just conversation but he doesn't quiz my step-DD when she gets off the bus other than say "how was school".

He says they need the structure, the other teachers and principles, and the environment for them to learn the most. That the education that I would provide them isn't up to par to the public school. Granted our schools are good but my step-DD is a below average reader in 2nd grade when she knew how to read when she started K. Their "techniques" on reading screwed her up. But I can't bring that up because I am picking on her.

So I need to some help trying to convince him. I feel really strongly about them being home. I struggle daily getting the house work done, getting my 10th grader to do his work and his classes outside of school, and getting the little ones schooled. I guess I do need more structure within my household but is that what is going to keep me from schooling them?

Thanks for listening. :)

He will not be pleased with most of the behavior they pick up in Kindergarten. The schedule really curtails your lives too. No vacations except when the school says you can.

There will be schoolwork at night, even for K children, unlike in homeschool, when night is family time.

You can gear the schoolwork to the specific child; the school will NOT do this, and will frustrate the child if he isn't good at something and bore him to tears if he is. That's the beauty of homeschooling. I have two advanced kids. We were just able to whip ahead in areas in which they excelled and take FOREVER over areas (capitalization/punctuation for the youngest) in which they did not.

Find out what your local co-ops offer to share what opportunities are available. Do your kids have any special skills or interests of which you are already aware? You will have free time for that dance class or that sport, without having to crunch it in another evening and wake the kid up at 6 a.m. to get to Kindergarten.

Is he a reader? Maybe you can have him read some good books and articles on the benefits of homeschooling and the pitfalls of public school?

Maybe he can read some stuff by John Taylor Gatto for example! Dumbing Us Down and Weapons of Mass Instruction, maybe? :P Some stuff by John Holt?

If my spouse was going to dig in his heels and argue something that was that important to me, he darn sure better be prepared to hear me out with an open mind on why I thought my way was better for my children, and he darn sure better be prepared to show me why he thought his way was, with research to back it up just like I did.

And I would REALLY resent that "Oh yeah then why can't they spell their name..." are you freakin KIDDING me? They haven't even STARTED K yet. How disrespectful and ridiculous is that? But you don't want this to be a fight. You want this to be about you expressing to him (nicely because you want his support) how much this means to you and how much it would mean for him to listen with an open mind on A) how much this means to you and B) how much research you have put into this and C) not to say hurtful things that imply you're not capable of teaching 5 year olds or haven't done things you should yet like teaching them things they haven't had to know yet. First of all they haven't even started K yet and second of all once upon a time first grade was time enough for all of us to learn to read and write and we turned out fine. They only reason they even push it in K now as because of all the stupid standardized testing!

Anyway, I'm sorry. :grouphug: I hope this turns out the way you want it to!

I struggle daily getting the house work done, getting my 10th grader to do his work and his classes outside of school, and getting the little ones schooled. I guess I do need more structure within my household but is that what is going to keep me from schooling them?

Well.... yes, maybe. I would wonder if your DH sees your daily struggles and thinks that things would go smoother if the twins were in public school and you could concentrate on the 10th grader without any interruptions during the day.

I have to be careful letting my DH know that things are bothering me because he tends to want to "fix" what's wrong - even if I don't actually need it fixed and was just griping. It can be a tricky line to walk. I would recommend evaluating whether you are communicating all the great things that are going on to your DH - or is he just hearing the bad parts?

I am not sure what the real problem is because all of his arguments are really weak of fact and are all based on opinion.

I don't think throwing facts and figures about homeschooling at him are going to convince him. Could he be getting influenced by someone outside of your immediate family? Maybe his ex, his parents, siblings or friends? Or, could there be something bothering him that has nothing to do with homeschooling? If you have a habit of ignoring his opinion and advice perhaps he is at a point where he is wanting you to respect his position when it comes to the children that are both his and yours biologically. Is this a battle of wills?

I still think you need to get the lines of communication and respect resolved on both sides before you can start making decisions about homescooling these dc. If you get defensive everytime he even wants to discuss other options, then I can see where he may be getting his knickers in a wad and trying to focus on what he thinks are your inadequacies in teaching your K students. You aren't being respectful and neither is he. I hope you can both come to an understanding and that you can focus on what is best for your marriage. :grouphug:

I struggle daily getting the house work done, getting my 10th grader to do his work and his classes outside of school, and getting the little ones schooled. I guess I do need more structure within my household but is that what is going to keep me from schooling them?

Just wanted to address this too as I missed it the first time.

My husband is used to certain standards within our home. They are things that are very important to him. Dinner together every night at a consistent and reasonable time. The house is relatively clean and uncluttered. The dc are well behaved, respectful and helpful. Time for relaxing and being together as a family that isn't tied to some type of required event (sports, field trips, co-ops.) Time for he and I to spend time together alone every evening and for at least a couple hours during the weekend. Time for him to be able to have time just for himself. A calm, unfrazzled, organized wife who is as devoted to his happiness as he is to hers.

Homeschooling for us was contingent upon the expectation that those standards that we had lived with for years were not going to suffer dramatically. Our family unit; how we live and love and interact with each other is more important than the education of our dc. Since I was the one that wanted to homeschool it was on my shoulders to make sure that I was able to handle all of the extra responsibilities. It wouldn't be fair to my dh, who didn't have a problem with me homeschooling but who wasn't up to being directly involved, to expect him to deal with a dirty house, unfinished laundry, poor meals, exasperated kids or wife, and having to miss out on family time or, worse, having to be chauffeur to endless extra homeschooling activities outside of the home.

Just something to think about when trying to work out things with your husband. Like a pp said, he may think homeschooling will be too much for you, or he may be worried about having to give up things he has become accustomed to. (Clean house, nice meals, time to relax, alone time with his wife.)

OP,

I built a sectioned notebook for my xh when I wanted to homeschool. We were married at the time. ;) The notebook included *secular* articles on why not public school, why TO homeschool, and a list of how I was going to homeschool (including schedule, curriculum, homeschool groups, etc.)

I have to echo the other mentions of concern in your situation. :grouphug: The power/control your DH seems to have in your home with the kids and you is heavy and possibly inappropriate. This is evidenced not by his concern about their education, but the action of putting you down, especially in the tricky way of asking your son to spell his name.

Sounds like there is a lot more going on here than an argument about homeschooling.

From what you said it seems as if there is a large problem in your marriage. I'd suggest counseling for both of you before making any kind of big decision about homeschooling.

If my husband talked to me like that ...well, it wouldn't be pretty. And if he was 'testing' my kids and me by asking questions every day?

This is not about homeschooling.

I would do it anyway and just SHOW him. Maybe try some lessons now and show your results. What is he going to do enroll them in school himself? I would just go and take them back out. Put your foot down, that's convincing.

This is not at all constructive for a sound and healthy marriage.

You know the old quote about a house divided...it's true.

I would do it anyway and just SHOW him. Maybe try some lessons now and show your results. What is he going to do enroll them in school himself? I would just go and take them back out. Put your foot down, that's convincing.

Yeah, me too. LOL

He just says the environment and structure is conducive to learning.

That's kinda funny. ;) Reality is kind of the opposite, isn't it?

One of my biggest regrets is putting my oldest son in public K for a year. At the time it seemed to make sense (interstate move + new baby) but I wish I hadn't. :/

Hopefully you can convince your dh to give you a chance. I agree, start now...start something formal, keep track, show dh how much you can do.

This is not at all constructive for a sound and healthy marriage.

You know the old quote about a house divided...it's true.

It's not true.

I took them out and told him that if I ruined it all in a year, we'd put them back in. There was FIERCE fighting. My Dh did NOT want them homeschooled. Fights that went on for months. I'm not a diplomatic negotiator when it comes to things I believe in. I would not be in such fear for my marriage if I did something my Dh was pissed about.

BUT he never inferred that I wasn't smart enough to school them or made some sort of standard that I had to keep the house to.

And now he's my most staunch supporter and most have never been to school.

But again, I highly doubt this is about homeschooling.

BUT he never inferred ... or made some sort of standard that I had to keep the house to.

Just to clarify, I don't keep my house clean just for my husband, I keep it clean for me and my children too. If the price of homeschooling was a filthy house, unclean laundry and carp for meals I wouldn't homeschool because those conditions would be intolerable for me, and I would be no good to anyone.

I suppose we all have different standards. I personally wouldn't put my dc through watching\listening to dh and I FIERCELY fighting for months. I wouldn't want to gamble their well being or my marriage on the hope that dh would eventually come around. And I don't care how careful you think you're being about keeping it behind closed doors...kids know.

I guess the whole idea of saying scr*w you to my dh and doing what I want regardless of his opinions is foreign to me. Likewise, he would never do that to me. When we have a situation that we are in disagreement about we talk and listen and weigh the pros and cons of each and then come to a compromise. My dh wasn't 100% on board when we started homeschooling either (I myself had concerns and doubts) but we came to the conclusion that we could try it and see how it went. He now agrees that it is working for our family. We were able to come to this point without fighting or arguing because I put my marriage before my dc's education. I may be totally wrong in my opinion but I think more (note I'm not saying all) children have been more detrimentally effected by living in a home with a bad marriage than going to public school.

Just my .02...but if this board has taught me nothing else it's that we all have different standards.

. We were able to come to this point without fighting or arguing because I put my marriage before my dc's education. I may be totally wrong in my opinion but I think more (note I'm not saying all) children have been more detrimentally effected by living in a home with a bad marriage than going to public school.

Just my .02...but if this board has taught me nothing else it's that we all have different standards.

And I came to that point also, in my own way, because I know my Dh. And he knows me.

But again, the OPs problem is NOT homeschooling. It's what her Dh says and does. There's a difference. Even if she just pulled them out, he still thinks she's incapable of teaching them and will undermine her and try and catch her out (testing the kids). That argument has nothing to do with homeschooling. I asked my Dh tonight if he ever thought I wasn't capable of teaching the kids and he said he knew I could. He doesn't test my kids, ever.

I think that's an excellent idea! If Cindy's dh wants a public school-level education, give it to him. I'm sure it will be considerably less challenging than her dh might expect.

PS. This is the first time I have seen you on the forum, Stephanie -- it's nice to "meet" you! :001_smile:

Thanks, Cat! I've been around for a few months, but I'm more of a lurker :) Homeschooling is fairly new for us, so I'm taking it all in. I was a public school teacher before I decided to stay home and I'm finding that public school teacher and homeschool teacher are two very different things. I guess I'm still in the "take it all in and digest it" phase.

My dh tried to give me static and said that he would not help with homeschooling at all. Before he even finished the sentence he knew what my response would be. I told him that if he wanted dd in school he could handle getting her up and ready, transportation to school, all homework, all parent/teacher communication, ect. He quickly decided that homeschooling might just be okay.

In the interests of compromise I did enroll dd in Kumon as part of our home schooling. If that is available in your area and you can afford it that might be an option.