Menu

Really want to learn Spencerian Cursive--ideas?

I have mediocre handwriting, and I love the way Spencerian looks. What would I need to get started? A special pen? What books do people recommend? I am willing to put in the time on this--I adore writing letters long-hand, but my penmanship has deteriorated so much that I'm not pleased with how they look.

I have a friend with beautiful handwriting and I was just looking at this the other day. I think I might order Fix It Write, which is designed for people who want to re-learn to write. It's not Spencerian but I do like it. Wow, I can't imagine changing my handwriting this late in the game, but like you I'm kinda interested in trying.

I have a friend with beautiful handwriting and I was just looking at this the other day. I think I might order Fix It Write, which is designed for people who want to re-learn to write. It's not Spencerian but I do like it. Wow, I can't imagine changing my handwriting this late in the game, but like you I'm kinda interested in trying.

That does look interesting. Thank you!

I just put this in my Amazon cart. I'm curious to hear what others say :001_smile:.

That's the one sold in the homeschool store I order from. I was just looking at it today thinking how awesome it would be to write like that, but my writing is like chicken scratch. I don't think it will get any better.

I tried the Spencerian penmanship books along with my children. We used beautiful glass Dipping pens and the ink bled through and made a bit of a mess of the booklet, causing a bit of frustration for all of us. I think the kids did not have a delicate enough touch to avoid these problems plus the glass pens delivered a lit of ink in a rather inpredictable fashion. Probably shouldn't have taken on both new tasks simultaneously. :001_smile:

I now have the remainingbooks listed in the for sale board.

I love calligraphy, and have bought two black markers with a flat tip (at Hobby Lobby). I'm not looking for authentic, just "nice". And I'm a bit short on patience, so this works for me. I practiced while on vacation with the family in a remote cabin. Enjoy!

I have this one, which has two different tips:

http://www.thescrapbookstore.ie/zigcalligraphypenblack-p-1465.html

Edited by Beth S

I found this at Staples but I suggest going to http://www.jetpens.com to get it.

It has a flat nib for calligraphy type writing. Doesn't over deposit ink like the Pilot Varsity disposables do.

Links like these should not be allowed until evening. Jet pens is a wonderful site, however last time we started looking ds and I spent the entire afternoon dreaming and making a wish list. :lol:

Edited by elegantlion
inability to finish a sentence.

I didn't see Micheal Sull mentioned, http://spencerian.com/. I have his instructional DVD.

And this is his newest instructional for kids and adults. Just came out this past December...

http://spencerian.com/images/AmericanCursiveOnlineOrder08_06_11.pdf

Thank you.

I wonder, does anyone know how a lefty with a bit of a hook would do with Spencerian script, or American Cursive, for that matter? I think DS would love to learn this, but he is a lefty with a bit of a hook, and script is generally hard for him.

I found this at Staples but I suggest going to www.jetpens.com to get it.

It has a flat nib for calligraphy type writing. Doesn't over deposit ink like the Pilot Varsity disposables do.

:iagree:

I got the Pelikan's at Jetpens, and the lefty, too. they are awesome. I also got a rainbow of Preppy..

Jetpens has great service and fast delivery.

How important is a fountain pen to Spencerian Penmanship, and how important is a left handed nib for a lefty?

Well, I'm not lefty, but my son is and they apply pressure differently, so the nib presses in a way that doesn't let the ink flow evenly or at all. He says the angle of the nib is wrong for leftys.

I'm sorry everyone... I have brain fog today.

Will someone please help me out and post a link to a lefty fountain pen (that's simple, good, and not too pricey).

I'm so excited about the fact that I FINALLY ordered the (righty) fountain pens!

Thank you to Halcyon for starting this thread.

Ds worked through the first few (three or four?) Mott Media Spencerian books several years ago. He used a pencil. Sure, a fountain pen would have been more authentic, but my goal wasn't calligraphy, but a generally smoother, more elegant script. I found the book about *how* to use the workbooks unnecessarily complex and not as helpful as I would have liked. But it did improve his (already decent) handwriting. When he chooses to have really lovely script, he can, though we haven't officially practiced in years now.

My kids do also have fountain pens. They have Pelikan (Pelikano?) Jr fountain pens. About $12 from Amazon. Slightly smaller than standard fountain pens, cheap, and durable. I've been happy with them. But I can see why the flow of ink would be too much for the tiny spaces and the quality of paper in the MM Spencerian workbooks. I guess I could try to find one and use the two together to see. ;)

There was another company that was trying to get off the ground with another, slightly updated Spencerian workbook. It looked more useable, but it was more expensive and I'm not sure the company ever really worked out.

Will someone please help me out and post a link to a lefty fountain pen (that's simple, good, and not too pricey).

I'm so excited about the fact that I FINALLY ordered the (righty) fountain pens!

Lefty Pelikano beginner for kids. For adults you can use the fine tip Preppy.

You're welcome-I am confused too--I would like the "right" fountain pen for righty-not too expensive ,and the one for lefties too--can someone link me to them?

ETA Nevermind-posting at the same time!

Ds worked through the first few (three or four?) Mott Media Spencerian books several years ago. He used a pencil. Sure, a fountain pen would have been more authentic, but my goal wasn't calligraphy, but a generally smoother, more elegant script. I found the book about *how* to use the workbooks unnecessarily complex and not as helpful as I would have liked. But it did improve his (already decent) handwriting. When he chooses to have really lovely script, he can, though we haven't officially practiced in years now.

My kids do also have fountain pens. They have Pelikan (Pelikano?) Jr fountain pens. About $12 from Amazon. Slightly smaller than standard fountain pens, cheap, and durable. I've been happy with them. But I can see why the flow of ink would be too much for the tiny spaces and the quality of paper in the MM Spencerian workbooks. I guess I could try to find one and use the two together to see. ;)

There was another company that was trying to get off the ground with another, slightly updated Spencerian workbook. It looked more useable, but it was more expensive and I'm not sure the company ever really worked out.

Would this be conducive to teaching a class of say....4? Ages 12, 11, 9, & 8? The 12 and 9 year olds have the most cursive skills, and the 11 & 8 year olds are about on the same level (since the 11 year old forgot everything).

Was it SmithHand? http://smithhand.com/index.html

Do the body colors of the Pelikano correspond to the ink color?

I believe so-but you can purchase different color ink cartridges for refills. I just bought the blue. They have little bits of paper you write the student's name on and slip into the handle so they can tell them apart.

I just put this in my Amazon cart. I'm curious to hear what others say :001_smile:.

On my wish list....

My grandmother, auntie and mother all use this script. Well, technically my grandmother doesn't she died. But still she did use it. Whenever I look at their writing I HAVE to read it to tell whose it is!