Menu

What else is there for Grammar besides FLL?

I agree that FLL3 is better than 1 and 2, as it has the workbook component.

Another one to look at is KISS Grammar (free). Horrible website, but all you would need is the Level 1 workbook - either 2nd or 3rd grade (3rd grade one is pretty hard, so if grammar isn't super duper easy, you might start with 2nd). The levels are the same across the grades, so you can do one book and then switch in the middle of that level to another grade if you need more complex sentences. The material taught is the same. The idea is to go through all the levels starting at 1 over about 4 years, I believe.

If you switch to R&S, be aware that it moves a lot slower than FLL at the same levels (at least grades 2 and 3 - I haven't compared with FLL4). If your child needs more practice and a slower pace, R&S might be a good fit.

Off the top of my head: For just grammar (i.e., not part of a set like ABeka), possibly with some writing included, there's Easy Grammar, Winston Grammar, Growing With Grammar, Analytical Grammar, and Shurley English, Hake Grammar and Writing, Jenson's Grammar, Cozy English Grammar, EPS's Stewart English.

I would suggest CC's Pre-Script copybooks that are coming out this year b/c they are planning to have a grammar one. Also VP sells some living books about grammar in the 2nd grade and 3rd grade sections and my son loves them so much he takes them to bed and reads them at night.........

stm4him

I'd give FLL3 a try. FLL3 and 4 are a lot better than FLL 1/2. I did FLL 1 and part of 2 with ds, and I eventually gave up because he wasn't retaining anything. After a brief fling with GWG, I switched him to Practical Lessons in the Use of English, by Mary Frances Hyde, which is a free vintage text from Google books. My plan is to return to FLL3 when we finish PLUE.

For my dd, I didn't do FLL 1/2 at all. I knew from looking at it that it wouldn't suit her. In first grade we did no grammar but focused heavily on Writing With Ease. In 2nd grade she worked through Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons, another vintage text from Google books. She enjoyed it and then we straight into FLL3. Even though we enjoyed PLL, she could definitely have gone into FLL3 with no preparation. FLL3 starts at the beginning, it just moves faster than FLL 1/2. Dd is nearly done with FLL4 and will move into Hake.

I wouldn't even hesitate to start a fourth grader in FLL3. It's plenty for grammar.

There are tons of free vintage texts on Google books.

My thoughts on GWG are negative. I feel that it doesn't teach kids to understand the grammar but merely to recognize the patterns in the practice sentences. The practice is neither complex nor varied. It's very shallow and formulaic, imo.

Tara

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We really like Scott Foresman Grammar and Writing.

And it's free!

I especially like it because each unit introduces a new writing form -

descriptive, persuasive, narrative...

http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

This looks reall neat. Is there an answer key or is it pretty easy to use w/o one?