Menu

Coffee Sweeteners Question

I am new to coffee. Having been a life long tea drinker, I suddenly had a huge, undeniable yen for coffee a few months ago. I have been drinking it black with sugar. I am accustomed to having honey in cups of tea. Honey in coffee doesn't sound so good - but - in a nonfiction book I recently read, an older person mentioned that her parents were farmers and beekeepers, and that they used honey in everything, including coffee.

What do you say? Is honey in coffee actually good???

Sweeteners like stevia, sweet 'n' low, splenda, etc., are not an option.

Thanks!

I've not tried it nor heard of it. I use Sweet n Low. Why isn't white sugar working for you anymore?

White sugar is working just fine! I like white sugar a lot. Since honey is healthier, I wondered about it.

I have tried honey in coffee and did not care for it. I find brown sugar is actually the best for coffee because it dissolves so completely, but I may just be weird there. :D

I never thought of brown sugar . . .

Maybe I should give the honey a try - it just doesn't sound good, though . . .

Having grown up on white sugar, it's hard to change. It took me quite awhile to adjust to honey in tea . . .

I very rarely sweeten my coffee, but when I do it is with honey. Of course, I have not had refined white sugar in the house in at least two years, and the only sweeteners I ever use are honey and maple syrup. I'm more used to the taste of honey than sugar.

Even though I rarely use sweeteners in my coffee, I do add cinnamon to my coffee. Sometimes I remember to add a dash to the ground beans before brewing. Usually I just sprinkle some directly into my mug. It provides a sweet taste without being sweet.

Organic raw agave is good, on the rare occasion I use sweetener (bought at Trader Joe's). Mostly I don't. It took me a while to get used to it, but I realized that it just adds sugar I don't need, and now that I'm used to it, it tastes fine without.

I very rarely sweeten my coffee, but when I do it is with honey. Of course, I have not had refined white sugar in the house in at least two years, and the only sweeteners I ever use are honey and maple syrup. I'm more used to the taste of honey than sugar.

Even though I rarely use sweeteners in my coffee, I do add cinnamon to my coffee. Sometimes I remember to add a dash to the ground beans before brewing. Usually I just sprinkle some directly into my mug. It provides a sweet taste without being sweet.

Unsweetened coffee (or tea) - I can't imagine!:001_smile:

I never thought of maple syrup . . .

Cinnamon! Makes it sweet?! I would never have thought of this!

I like honey but honey in coffee sounds gross to me. I do really enjoy maple syrup in coffee. I like it better than sugar but don't do it all the time because it's expensive.

Gross is a good word to describe what it sounds like!

I like agave nectar in coffee. It comes in yummy flavors like amaretto. I also like sugar.

What is agave nectar?

All the responses are giving me much to think about!

I love real maple syrup in my coffee - with lots of cream, too! Yum!

Agave nectar is a sweetener that comes from the agave plant. It has a thinner consistency than honey and doesn't have any aftertaste, imo. Some people say it's healthy, others say it's from the devil. Who knows? It makes me break out so I stopped using it. :tongue_smilie:

For coffee I think plain ol' sugar works best. You might also like those non dairy flavored coffee sweeteners too, but honey in coffee.. no es bueno. post-1037-1211195140.gif

Love that emoticon! I kept your response up for awhile just chuckling over all its changes!

When I finish here, I'm about to go have a cup of coffee with plain ol' sugar!

I am planning, next time I'm at the store, to look for these other products that were mentioned and see just what they are, read the labels, etc. :)

What is agave nectar?

All the responses are giving me much to think about!

This is the product I use. I've heard it has a lower glycemic index than sugar. I've heard other people say it is no better than sugar. In the end, it is full of empty calories, just like sugar.

I've had the amaretto, hazelnut and Irish creme. I use it because I like the taste. It seems healthier than Torani syrup, which I also love. :001_smile:

I've actually found that since I've switched to putting unsweetened almond milk into my coffee instead of dairy milk, I no longer feel the need to add any sweetener (I used to use Splenda).

You might want to give almond milk or cashew creamer a try just to see how you like the taste.

Love that emoticon! I kept your response up for awhile just chuckling over all its changes!

hehehe

When I finish here, I'm about to go have a cup of coffee with plain ol' sugar!

I am planning, next time I'm at the store, to look for these other products that were mentioned and see just what they are, read the labels, etc. :)

I hope you find a combo you like. :)

I love real maple syrup in my coffee - with lots of cream, too! Yum!

Agave nectar is a sweetener that comes from the agave plant. It has a thinner consistency than honey and doesn't have any aftertaste, imo. Some people say it's healthy, others say it's from the devil. Who knows? It makes me break out so I stopped using it. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:but I can't afford the amount of syrup I'd use.:blushing: I use white sugar.:)