Menu

What age for Diary of Anne Frank?

tammyw

I guess it depends on the sensitivity/maturity of the individual child. I read that book in PS in 7th grade, but I waited until HS to read it to my dd because of her maturity level and the discussions that would ensue from the book. HTH. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

Thanks! I was thinking more of the same as recommended here. I had just seen it recently recommended in another thread under elementary years and was curious, because I remember it having pretty mature content - not just about the war. But it's been a loooooong time since I've read it.

When I taught PS in the States it was on an alternate reading list for 8th grade language arts (A teacher could choose the book or opt for another.). It may have been on the gifted schedule for 7th (can't remember).

Many kids are capable of reading it before then, but IMO it is still a book worth-the-wait.

I think that the most relevant factor is that the girl herself was between the ages of 13 and 15.

This is an important consideration when deciding whether or not your child should read the diary.

Girls typically begin puberty at younger ages now (typically between 7-12) than during WW2. I imagine any child experiencing puberty and capable of discussing the implications of that process would be able to handle the diary. Maybe boys would need more time?

Girls typically begin puberty at younger ages now (typically between 7-12) than during WW2. I imagine any child experiencing puberty and capable of discussing the implications of that process would be able to handle the diary. Maybe boys would need more time?

There is some considerable mature content, even if it is not direct in nature, and some of it in regards to her own physical awakening is.

I also don't think that puberty is the issue, but maturity. If you can talk openly about s*x with your child and they understand what happens between a boy and a girl, then I would say they are mature enough.

This is why they sought to ban the unabridged version in so many school libraries - sexual content.

My oldest read this at about 8 years old. She is a first born, very serious, and it made her think. I dont mind my children knowing real life issues that happened, with discretion, of course. It gives them more of a sense of what happens in the world around them. She read a version made for a child.

Edited by Peacefulisle