Menu

FLL v KISS v MCT

Tracy

Okay, I have FLL already in my cart, but I am just not ready to hit the "Buy" button. I have also looked at KISS and MCT, and I am having trouble deciding.

My dd is almost 7yo. She is very bright--reading very well for her age. She is very verbal and has a good grasp of language and an advanced vocabulary. She hates worksheets or any kind of independent work.

First, I am not entirely certain that I want to start grammar quite yet. But FLL seemed a gentle approach, minimizing the amount of busy work and writing. From looking at the samples, she would do fine with FLL3.

But then there is MCT. I think she would love the "cuddle-on-the-couch" approach of MCT. My concern here is that MCT does not teach traditional diagramming. I have read what SWB has said about the usefulness of traditional diagramming and find it to be rather persuasive. Consequently, I have shied away from MCT because traditional diagramming is omitted.

And then there is KISS. Again, we have the diagramming issue, and I thought that I had affirmatively decided against it for that reason. But I was just reading a post about it (I know, I really shouldn't do that) talking about analyzing more complex sentences from real literature from the get-go. That really appeals to me, and I think dd would enjoy that aspect of it, as well.

Can anyone comment on any of these?

I'm just using all 3 at different times. :lol:

I did FLL3 for 2nd grade, and we'll do MCT Island next year in 3rd. I'm also dabbling in KISS right now, since we can do it on the tablet. We're learning to diagram on FLL, then we can take that knowledge and apply it to other programs that don't include diagramming. I also have a website bookmarked on my computer that has a lot if diagramming examples (I'm on my phone now, so can't post it).

I like the comprehensiveness of MCT, with the grammar, writing, vocab, poetry... the latter two of which we currently don't study. I think the writing will complement WWE well. And the grammar looks fun and uses complex sentences.

Just today, we did some KISS. It was fun also.

So yeah, I end up using everything. :tongue_smilie:

Based on what you have said about your daughter I think you should give MCT serious consideration.

The difference with MCT though is that when using the complete program it is much more than grammar. And I would definitely suggest using all the books to get the most out of it.

Yes, and that is the other thing with MCT. In for a penny; in for a pound.

I'm just using all 3 at different times. :lol:

I did FLL3 for 2nd grade, and we'll do MCT Island next year in 3rd. I'm also dabbling in KISS right now, since we can do it on the tablet. We're learning to diagram on FLL, then we can take that knowledge and apply it to other programs that don't include diagramming. I also have a website bookmarked on my computer that has a lot if diagramming examples (I'm on my phone now, so can't post it).

I like the comprehensiveness of MCT, with the grammar, writing, vocab, poetry... the latter two of which we currently don't study. I think the writing will complement WWE well. And the grammar looks fun and uses complex sentences.

Just today, we did some KISS. It was fun also.

So yeah, I end up using everything. :tongue_smilie:

Boscopup, are you telling me that I don't have choose? :glare: I think if I tried all three, I would drive myself into an early grave. Can you share with me how you manage to do all three? (I assume you are not doing all three in their entirety?)

I am really drawn to MCT. If we went this route, though, I think I would wait another year. I know that it is important to use the different components together. Dd really hates writing, and I am afraid to throw in something that has a strong writing component. She is doing well with WWE narrations, but copywork is like pulling teeth (partly because she lacks stamina for it and partly because of the independence factor).

Can you expand on what the writing in MCT entails?

I said I use them at different times. ;) This year is just FLL. Next year is just MCT. I'll use some KISS here and there.

No, I wouldn't use 3 grammar programs in their entirety. That'd be way overkill! :lol:

I waited for next year to do MCT because of the writing. Island level isn't supposed to be that much writing, but it does have some, and my son doesn't like to write either.

But then there is MCT. I think she would love the "cuddle-on-the-couch" approach of MCT. My concern here is that MCT does not teach traditional diagramming. I have read what SWB has said about the usefulness of traditional diagramming and find it to be rather persuasive. Consequently, I have shied away from MCT because traditional diagramming is omitted.

If your only concern about MCT is the lack of diagramming, it is *very* easy to add diagramming to MCT. I have DD do MCT's 4 level analysis on the sentence, and then diagramming the sentence. I taught myself how to diagramming and then just showed DD. She picked up diagramming easily because she already knew what what everything was from MCT. She only needed to learn how to draw the lines.

Keep in mine that SWB's comments about the usefulness of diagramming are for older, logic stage students. So you have plenty of time to add in diagramming later.

We just couldn't get into MCT. I'm not sure why though. It seemed very abstract to me :confused: The kids were confused by it more than anything - which really surprised me since I had heard so many good things about it; especially for kids who are gifted. I really should sell it.

We've used lots of different grammar programs here but for DD8, we are going back to FLL. The gentle, yet thorough approach combined with the fact that it is something that we can do together is definitely good for DD.

We tried GWG since it was more independent, and as much as she claims she likes the independence - she definitely retained more when we did FLL together last year.

I don't know anything about KISS.

As a mom who ditched many of TWTM recos in favour of more independent curricula for the grammar stage - I can tell you that we are making some serious changes here and going back to WWE/FLL, etc. It is so solid.

If you have the chance to listen to any of the audio lectures from SWB - I would really encourage you to do that.

If your only concern about MCT is the lack of diagramming, it is *very* easy to add diagramming to MCT. I have DD do MCT's 4 level analysis on the sentence, and then diagramming the sentence. I taught myself how to diagramming and then just showed DD. She picked up diagramming easily because she already knew what what everything was from MCT. She only needed to learn how to draw the lines.

Keep in mine that SWB's comments about the usefulness of diagramming are for older, logic stage students. So you have plenty of time to add in diagramming later.

Thank you so much for this. It is nice to know I don't necessarily have to rule out MCT because of the diagramming.

... I think she would love the "cuddle-on-the-couch" approach of MCT. ... And then there is KISS. Again, we have the diagramming issue, ...

We always do KISS as a "cuddle on the couch" activity, with the printout on a clipboard or notebook shared between us, taking turns with the marking as described in my blog post Buddy Math. We started with the 2nd grade book and did a 5-10 minute lesson once or twice a week -- sometimes more, when my daughter asked for extra. Now, in 7th grade, she still insists that we snuggle for our grammar lessons.

If you love diagramming, you could always add it to the simpler levels of KISS, but in the upper levels the sentences are MUCH too complicated to diagram them. The KISS mark-up that the students learn forces them to pay attention to the logical structure of the sentence -- isn't that what diagramming is all about, too? I think the KISS mark-up is clearer and easier to learn than diagramming, so if the logic of language is what you want your child to master, I wouldn't worry too much about not having the diagrams.

Okay, I have FLL already in my cart, but I am just not ready to hit the "Buy" button. I have also looked at KISS and MCT, and I am having trouble deciding.

My dd is almost 7yo. She is very bright--reading very well for her age. She is very verbal and has a good grasp of language and an advanced vocabulary. She hates worksheets or any kind of independent work.

First, I am not entirely certain that I want to start grammar quite yet. But FLL seemed a gentle approach, minimizing the amount of busy work and writing. From looking at the samples, she would do fine with FLL3.

And then there is KISS. Again, we have the diagramming issue, and I thought that I had affirmatively decided against it for that reason. But I was just reading a post about it (I know, I really shouldn't do that) talking about analyzing more complex sentences from real literature from the get-go. That really appeals to me, and I think dd would enjoy that aspect of it, as well.

Can anyone comment on any of these?

I adore MCT. My son (who started Island the day he turned 7) has thrived on the approach. I absolutely love it, and we've just moved onto Town. We have played around with diagramming some of the sentences in Practice Island. It was very easy for him as the grammar was totally understood and all he needed to learn were diagramming conventions. No big deal.

Bill

As someone else mentioned, if you want to diagram, it is easy to diagram from MCT's sentences and pretty easy to do so once you have broken a sentence into its 4-level analysis.

Not to throw a monkey into the works, but if you want cuddle on the couch fun and diagramming, I did The Sentence Family with my second grader this year and she loved it. It only took us a semester to complete and now we are working on a sentence a day like MCT does in his practice book, but I think it was a fun introduction to grammar.

So I've been, for fun and re-education, going through the KISS Grammar 3rd grade book on my tablet (love annotating on there!). I'm enjoying it greatly and was thinking it was pretty easy those first several exercises. Then I hit the complements. Ok, this was a little more challenging, but still totally doable. Then I hit the verbs acting as complements. Boy is that hard! :lol: Fun, but hard. And I already had to join the Yahoogroup to see if something has been answered yet (though the KISS users may know... Why is "wonderful" not an adjective in the example sentence "To win is wonderful." I thought wonderful would be a predicate adjective, but it's calling wonderful a predicate noun? :confused:)

I'm so glad I decided to go through this before using it with my son! He's seen/used some of the early bits (the easy parts that lure you into thinking this is all going to be ok... :tongue_smilie:), but I'm trying to work well ahead so I fully understand and can explain. Some of these I had to make sure I was right by looking at the AK. It's definitely giving my brain a good workout! :D

I looked in the sticky but no answer.

What is MCT and Kiss

MCT = Michael Clay Thompson

KISS = KISS Grammar... I don't know what the "KISS" stands for. :lol:

We used FLL 1 and 2 then switched to MCT with supplements. (We supplement every subject.) I think FLL 3 and MCT would be an excellent combo.

Rex Barks is a possibility for adding diagramming.

We tried KISS when my daughter was around 7 and she wasn't thrilled with it. There was something about the format that didn't work for her. She would do the exercises, but never as happily as she did FLL or MCT.

I think for her it is just the layout of KISS. After seeing the recent discussions of KISS, I decided to try it again. I'm considering using a sentence or two from KISS for dictation and then working on them. That would avoid the issue of format.

I think it would be possible to use all three programs (FLL, MCT and KISS). They each have different strengths and would complement each other nicely.

:iagree: I learn the diagramming myself and then teach the boys how to diagram the MCT sentence after we do the 4 level analysis. The analysis gets you so close, diagramming is pretty easy.

FWIW, my 6/7 year old did well with MCT Island level. I skipped all the writing exercises, though, and used Writing With Ease. (We did *read* the writing book, just didn't do the exercises.) He is following along with the Town level this year at 7 (he joins his older brother). We are taking it slow (and skipping the writing exercises) and will probably take a break before trying the next level.

So I've been, for fun and re-education, going through the KISS Grammar 3rd grade book on my tablet (love annotating on there!). I'm enjoying it greatly and was thinking it was pretty easy those first several exercises. Then I hit the complements. Ok, this was a little more challenging, but still totally doable. Then I hit the verbs acting as complements. Boy is that hard! :lol: Fun, but hard. And I already had to join the Yahoogroup to see if something has been answered yet (though the KISS users may know... Why is "wonderful" not an adjective in the example sentence "To win is wonderful." I thought wonderful would be a predicate adjective, but it's calling wonderful a predicate noun? :confused:)

I'm so glad I decided to go through this before using it with my son! He's seen/used some of the early bits (the easy parts that lure you into thinking this is all going to be ok... :tongue_smilie:), but I'm trying to work well ahead so I fully understand and can explain. Some of these I had to make sure I was right by looking at the AK. It's definitely giving my brain a good workout! :D

MCT = Michael Clay Thompson

KISS = KISS Grammar... I don't know what the "KISS" stands for. :lol:

Did you get answer to why "wonderful" isn't a predicate adjective? That's what I would have thought!

Right now DD7 is using KISS. We are only a few weeks into the 2nd grade level, but she really likes it so far. She suggested that I add in the grammar definitions and examples from FLL as a "cheat" sheet. I think it's a good suggestion and I'm complying. At some point I'd like to try diagramming with her to see if it is really needed after using a program like KISS. I used to love diagramming. (The six weeks I had it in high school:tongue_smilie:). As an anecdote, my mom did diagramming year after year in elementary/middle school and she uses it all the time as a fall back when she is writing or editing.

Did you get answer to why "wonderful" isn't a predicate adjective? That's what I would have thought!

I'm still waiting on approval to join the group. I'll let you know what I find out though!

I can't tell if you are joking...KISS usually stands for "Keep it Simple, Stupid".

Yes, I know that, but I don't know if that's what KISS Grammar stands for. It could mean Koalas Impregnating Slippery Snakes Grammar, for all I know. ;)

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I have been going through the MCT website as I have monitoring the responses here. I am really drawn to it, and I think it would work so well for dd. I still have concerns about how to use it with TOG, but that should be a new post.

I see that others have used MCT with children younger than 3rd grade, and I am tempted to try it. But I really feel responsible for preserving dd's childhood, so to speak. She is a child that loves to get lost in her imagination. As much as I think she would enjoy MCT even now, I think she needs to use her time differently than that at this point. I think we will stick with WWE for the next year, skip grammar for one more year, and then jump into MCT the following year.

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I have been going through the MCT website as I have monitoring the responses here. I am really drawn to it, and I think it would work so well for dd. I still have concerns about how to use it with TOG, but that should be a new post.

I see that others have used MCT with children younger than 3rd grade, and I am tempted to try it. But I really feel responsible for preserving dd's childhood, so to speak. She is a child that loves to get lost in her imagination. As much as I think she would enjoy MCT even now, I think she needs to use her time differently than that at this point. I think we will stick with WWE for the next year, skip grammar for one more year, and then jump into MCT the following year.

Not trying to push you one way or another in terms of waiting (you know best), but I would want to point out that the MCT approach is all about playing to a child's sense of imagination. Especially for the grammar components I was glad to have started MCT earlier than the recommended age because it is so "child-like" and speaks to kids sense of wonder. I somewhat fear I might have lost a window as children—especially those who go to public schools (as my son goes)—can grow up so quickly these days.

In any case MCT is a program that feeds the imagination and not one that crushes it. And that is what makes it such a welcome relief from many of the alternatives.

Bill

I thought the same thing about my dd. Though I knew she would love MCT now and I would have her tag along with an older sibling if she had one, she is busy already and she'll get more out of it next year. For second grade we are going through FLL 1/2 (combining some of the lessons to finish in one year) and the Classical Writing Primers.

Not trying to push you one way or another in terms of waiting (you know best), but I would want to point out that the MCT approach is all about playing to a child's sense of imagination. Especially for the grammar components I was glad to have started MCT earlier than the recommended age because it is so "child-like" and speaks to kids sense of wonder. I somewhat fear I might have lost a window as children—especially those who go to public schools (as my son goes)—can grow up so quickly these days.

In any case MCT is a program that feeds the imagination and not one that crushes it. And that is what makes it such a welcome relief from many of the alternatives.

Bill

Yes, and this is what makes it such a difficult decision. But she is not yet 7yo now and will still be a year younger than MCT's recommended start age even for gifted children. (I realize that this is just a suggestion.)

The problem that I am running into is time. I require Math, Spelling and Copywork to be done each week, and everything else I consider to be frosting. I am reluctant to pull her from happily playing to do other academics. But when we get to the end of the week, dd laments, "We didn't get to do Science or Art," or "I didn't work on my sewing this week," or "I forgot to make that gift for so-and-so." There are so many things she wants to do--so much she is capable of doing--that there isn't enough time for her to do it all. So I feel like I need to act as a gatekeeper when it comes to academics. If I ask her if she wants to do it, she will most certainly agree wholeheartedly. But the years for imaginative play are quickly passing, and there will be plenty of time for grammar.

Re using MCT with TOG... Is your concern about time? I have not found MCT, at least at the Island level, to be at all time consuming. We spend 5-25 minutes per day depending on which components we are using.

I have mixed feelings on the age aspect. The grammar is really easy for my dd. She "got it" at the beginning of the year and now we will spend the rest of the year reviewing. (the only grammar she had prior to MCT was a couple months with The Sentence Family) As much as my dd likes MCT, I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it. I am thinking about going with KISS next year because it allows you to move on more quickly. OTOH, the writing is spot on for her. We could have used it earlier, but we would not have gotten as much out of it.

I am really frustrated as I try to decide what to do next year. There is so much repeat from year to year that I can really see why so many recommend waiting on formal grammar instruction. I just deleted the majority of my rant because it is probably not that helpful.:tongue_smilie: Anyhoo, I don't think you will regret waiting for one more year.

Re using MCT with TOG... Is your concern about time? I have not found MCT, at least at the Island level, to be at all time consuming. We spend 5-25 minutes per day depending on which components we are using.

Actually, no, I am not so much concerned about time. What I am thinking is that I already have a program (TOG) that covers literature. And I love that it is integrated with history. It makes so much sense to me to do it that way. OTOH, I also love the way that MCT integrates the study of literature into a full language arts program, integrating a study of Latin roots and poetic devices. I am confident that I can juggle the workloads of the two programs, picking and choosing from them. But they are both expensive programs, and this penny-pinching homeschool mom will have a tough time shelling out a lot of money for both programs if we are not going to use either of them to their fullest extent.

I have mixed feelings on the age aspect. The grammar is really easy for my dd. She "got it" at the beginning of the year and now we will spend the rest of the year reviewing. (the only grammar she had prior to MCT was a couple months with The Sentence Family) As much as my dd likes MCT, I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it. I am thinking about going with KISS next year because it allows you to move on more quickly. OTOH, the writing is spot on for her. We could have used it earlier, but we would not have gotten as much out of it.

This is another reason that I want to wait a bit. I want to make sure she is ready for the whole program so she will get the most out of it.

I am really frustrated as I try to decide what to do next year. There is so much repeat from year to year that I can really see why so many recommend waiting on formal grammar instruction. I just deleted the majority of my rant because it is probably not that helpful.:tongue_smilie: Anyhoo, I don't think you will regret waiting for one more year.

And this is why I have held off on FLL, essentially skipping the first two levels. I see so much said about the repetition. My dd memorizes things very quickly. Apparently ds3 also does, too. They both started memorizing the same scripture for Sunday School last week and both had it ready to go today. If memorizing the parts of speech is equally easy for them, then why not just wait until they can actually do something with that knowledge (i.e., begin analyzing sentences)?

Actually, no, I am not so much concerned about time. What I am thinking is that I already have a program (TOG) that covers literature. And I love that it is integrated with history. It makes so much sense to me to do it that way. OTOH, I also love the way that MCT integrates the study of literature into a full language arts program, integrating a study of Latin roots and poetic devices. I am confident that I can juggle the workloads of the two programs, picking and choosing from them. But they are both expensive programs, and this penny-pinching homeschool mom will have a tough time shelling out a lot of money for both programs if we are not going to use either of them to their fullest extent.

Ah, I see. I don't think there is very much overlap between the two, but it would be interesting to hear from people that have used both programs at a higher level.

Ah, I see. I don't think there is very much overlap between the two, but it would be interesting to hear from people that have used both programs at a higher level.

I guess from what I have seen in the LG level, there really isn't a whole lot of literature teaching going on, the goal being just exposure to good books, particularly those related to the time period being studied. I will have to post a question about the upper levels.

NOW you guys have gone and done it!

I just ordered the Island level for my girls. :D

A year ago (by Jan of 2nd grade), my now 8.5 yo finished K12's 4th grade LA. Seemed like the mechanics was killing the fun for her, so since then we've tabled GUM instead been focussed on reading great lit and journaling, with a little cursive for fun. I suspect she'd be fine with Town (she writes paragraphs well and drafts and edits 5 page stories), but hope she will enjoy the new approach. Plus, my 6.5 yo is doing well with reading, so I think she'll tag along and they'll be able to enjoy it together.

Wish us well -- after all, it's your fault! :lol:

ETA: more seriously, of those of you who want to hold off a while, I understand that. This last year has done wonders for my dd's creative writing -- she's a perfectionist and the worry of making a mistake was stifling her. Now she's more mature and confident as a writer, and her voracious reading has served her well. Her younger sister is more fearless in her work and is more likely to merrily TRY the curriculum and not balk at the challenge. So, I think it depends on your kid's personality. But there's a definite argument to be made for later rather than early.

Edited by ChandlerMom

To me, "wonderful" renames the phrase "to win", so it functions as a predicate noun. Which exercise is this? I'd like to look at it too.

It's in the explanation prior to exercise 8 of the grade 3 level 1.2 (in the AK, it's 1.3 though) - Verbs as complements.

It says Verbs can function as subjects or complements, then lists that sentence with some other sentences showing that "to win" is a subject:

To win is wonderful (PN). (pretend the blue underline is a double underline)

Then there is another section that shows verbs that function as subjects and they themselves have complements:

Playing baseball (DO) is fun (PA).

I'm not seeing the difference between "wonderful" and "fun" in these sentences. They both seem like predicate adjectives to me. I don't see "wonderful" as renaming "to win", but describing how it feels to win.

(still haven't been approved on the KISS Yahoogroup, so can't tell you what they say yet)

Btw, I'm about halfway through level 1.5 and really enjoying this! I'm learning a ton. I'm trying to get through most of level 1 before starting 1.1 with my son, so I have a good understanding of what we're doing. ;)

I had never thought of it this way. You make an excellent point!

It's in the explanation prior to exercise 8 of the grade 3 level 1.2 (in the AK, it's 1.3 though) - Verbs as complements.

I finally found it. Hmm, I'm probably wrong on this one. It's definitely one to make you think.

I think what I'm trying to express about this is that, the *feeling of* "to win", is the same as "wonderful". I know I'm not making sense here, and I'm only on my first cuppa coffee.

Has anyone read anything on the yahoo group? I really need to join.

You are quite welcome!:D

MCT Island materials all arrived today (that was fast!). I've been drooling as I look through them -- I like the energy (was dreading restarting traditional drill-n-kill with my eldest before I opted for MCT) and LOVE the Poetry book. If the girls enjoy it half as much as I will, it'll be a very good thing! :lol:

MCT Island materials all arrived today (that was fast!). I've been drooling as I look through them -- I like the energy (was dreading restarting traditional drill-n-kill with my eldest before I opted for MCT) and LOVE the Poetry book. If the girls enjoy it half as much as I will, it'll be a very good thing! :lol:

I was just looking at MCT for the grammar. I really don't like poetry, as I am a very literal person and usually just don't "get" it. But looking at the samples, I found myself drooling over even the poetry book. I am so glad they changed the web site and provide those samples. I bet their sales have gone up substantially.

I was just looking at MCT for the grammar. I really don't like poetry, as I am a very literal person and usually just don't "get" it. But looking at the samples, I found myself drooling over even the poetry book. I am so glad they changed the web site and provide those samples. I bet their sales have gone up substantially.

I hate poetry too, which is precisely why I plan to get MCT's poetry book. I think it will help me still do poetry in our home, and maybe even... learn to like it. :tongue_smilie: