Menu

Iowans Help! Not sure what option

We are moving to Iowa next week. I've printed my forms to turn into the district although I've done nothing with them yet. I'm not sure what option to choose. I'm coming from Texas where there is no registering or intrusiveness at all in our homeshool. Registering is new to me. So, which option should I pick.

We are moving to Iowa next week. I've printed my forms to turn into the district although I've done nothing with them yet. I'm not sure what option to choose. I'm coming from Texas where there is no registering or intrusiveness at all in our homeshool. Registering is new to me. So, which option should I pick.

Welcome to Iowa! We just moved to Iowa City last January (Lived in Louisiana all out lives).

In Iowa City, the homeschool assist program is awesome. Not intrusive to what you are doing. Have planned activities...more like fun outings or get togethers...to help get your required 16 contacts in. The best thing is they are very open to what you choose and do not try to sway or inject their ideas. Also the resources they offer is great...manipulatives, curriculum, microscopes.

We tried the private teacher but it was hard to find one, and when we did she was very opinionated and expensive.

Welcome to Iowa. I do the portfolio option. I don't enjoy putting it together, but my supervising teacher is very easy to work with. After viewing their portfolio, she wrote each kid a letter saying they had worked hard and learned a lot. She made a suggestion based on her own experiences and got the portfolios back to me the same day. It cost me $15 for each kid.

Welcome to Iowa!

We always did the testing option, since we would have tested anyway. We have never belonged to an HSAP, and haven't done the portfolio. If you test, that's basically all you have to do. No records, no supervision, etc. We did the testing through the school district, but you don't have to do it that way.

This is the first year we've done the supervising teacher option. In order to graduate from the public hs, the administration has requested that dd be enrolled full time her last semester and that we use the supervising teacher option. Until then, we will continue to dual enroll. They have been very accommodating and super easy to deal with.

Our supervising teacher is a close relative, so our experience with that isn't typical. We aren't paying him, and he's closely involved with our lives so there isn't much involved in the required contacts. ;)

Do you have to pay the supervising teacher? I know that seems like a really stupid question, but honestly, that thought didn't occur to me?

If you don't go through the HSAP you find your own teacher and pay him/her. Some teachers don't charge (family member, close friend, etc...) Around here (Central Iowa) the going rate for a teacher is about $200-$300 per year.

We use HSAP and our teacher is provided by the school district. Our teacher is great. He is very laid back and isn't intrusive at all. He will answer any questions I have but doesn't question me much.

I don't find Iowa a hard state to school in. You can be vague on your forms. Where it asks about curriculum and publishers I just send in: math 5 x's per week, history 3 times/wk, spelling 5 times/wk, etc...

I hope you enjoy living in Iowa. It is a nice state : )

http://www.whotv.com/news/nationworld/ktxl-iowa-is-nice-20120103,0,2720362.htmlstory

Edited by kwiech

If you don't go through the HSAP you find your own teacher and pay him/her. Some teachers don't charge (family member, close friend, etc...) Around here (Central Iowa) the going rate for a teacher is arond $200-$300 per year.

We use HSAP and our teacher is provided by the school district. Our teacher is great. He is very laid back and isn't intrusive at all. He will answer any questions I have but doesn't question me much.

I don't find Iowa a hard state to school in. You can be vague on your forms. Where it asks about curriculum and publishers I just send in: math 5 x's per week, history 3 times/wk, spelling 5 times/wk, etc...

I hope you enjoy living in Iowa. It is a nice state : )

http://www.whotv.com/news/nationworld/ktxl-iowa-is-nice-20120103,0,2720362.htmlstory

I'm sorry but this just blows my mind. I'm certified to teach in Texas. I should just get my teacher's license in Iowa and I'd have a great part time job! I wonder how much that would cost me?

I'm sorry but this just blows my mind. I'm certified to teach in Texas. I should just get my teacher's license in Iowa and I'd have a great part time job! I wonder how much that would cost me?

You can supervise your own kids if you get a teaching or substitute teaching license.

7. What is the Substitute Authorization?

The Substitute Authorization is a designation created a number of years ago that allows a person with a baccalaureate degree (or a paraprofessional certificate) to substitute teach in a middle school, junior high or high school for a maximum of 5 days per assignment.

Although it would seem at first that this does not relate to home educators, it does indeed, as we have verified that the Department of Education approves the use of a substitute authorization in place of a regular teacher's license (either initial, standard, master's, or substitute) in privately-funded home schools.

To put it simply, if you have a four-year college degree, and you are willing to "jump through the required hoops" to obtain a substitute authorization, you can serve as a supervising teacher for your own child -- or for other homeschooled children. This is true for privately-retained supervising teachers -- not those employed by Home School Assistance Programs.

Does anyone know if the CAT/5 test is accepted here in Iowa? I was going to do the portfolio evaluator option (just for this year), but can't find anyone....so I'm just wanting a year off from the ITBS (takes so much time from our school day!), and the CAT/5 is pretty minimal as far as time commitment....

Is the CAT/5 the same as CAT?

31.7(1) When required. When a parent, guardian, or legal custodian of a child of compulsory attendance age provides private instruction to a child without the assistance or supervision of a validly licensed Iowa practitioner as required by law and these rules, and the parent, guardian, or legal custodian does not hold a valid Iowa practitioner license appropriate to the ages and grade levels of the child under competent private instruction, the child is subject to initial baseline testing and an annual evaluation. For the 1992–93 school year and thereafter, a child who is at least seven years old by September 15, who begins a program of competent private instruction and is subject to the annual assessment requirement, shall be administered a baseline test for the purposes of obtaining educational data. The baseline test shall be taken by June 30, 1993, for programs of competent private instruction begun in school years 1991–92 and 1992–93, and shall be taken by May 1 in ensuing school years. Any test listed in subrule 31.7(2) may be used to fulfill the baseline test requirement, provided that the copyright date of the test publisher’s published national norms that are used for the test results being reported is within eight years of the school year in which the test is administered. The parent, guardian, or legal custodian may select either standardized testing or portfolio assessment for purposes of fulfilling the annual evaluation requirement of the law. 31.7(2) Standardized testing. A parent, guardian, or legal custodian of a child, who chooses standardized testing for the purpose of determining whether the child is making adequate educational progress, shall select one of the following instruments for the child to take: a. California Achievement Test (CAT); CTB McMillan/McGraw Hill. Reading: K–12.9 Language: K–12.9 Mathematics Composite: K–12.9 Science: 1.6–12.9 Social Studies: 1.6–12.9 b. Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills (CTBS). Reading: K–12.9 Language: 1.0–12.9 Mathematics Composite: K.1–12.9 Science: 1.0–12.9 Social Studies: 1.0–12.9 c. Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS); The Riverside Publishing Company. Reading: K.8–9.9 Language Total: K.1–9.9 Mathematics Total: K.1–9.9 Science: 1.7–9.9 Social Studies: 1.7–9.9 d. Iowa Tests of Educational Development (ITED); The Riverside Publishing Company. Written Expression: 9.0–12.9 Quantitative Thinking: 9.0–12.9 Social Studies: 9.0–12.9 Natural Science: 9.0–12.9 Literary Materials: 9.0–12.9 Vocabulary: 9.0–12.9 Sources of Information: 9.0–12.9 e. Metropolitan Achievement Tests (MAT); The Psychological Corporation. Reading: K.0–12.9 Language: K.0–12.9 Mathematics Composite: K.0–12.9 Science: 1.5–12.9 Social Studies: 1.5–12.9 f. Stanford Achievement Test; The Psychological Corporation. Reading: K.0–12.9 Language: 1.5–12.9 Mathematics Composite: 1.5–9.9 Science: 3.5–12.9 Social Studies: 3.5–12.9 g. Stanford Achievement Test, Abbrev.; The Psychological Corporation. Reading: 1.5–12.9 Language: 1.5–12.9 Mathematics Composite: 1.5–9.9 Science: 3.5–12.9 Social Studies: 3.5–12.9

Another list:

Acceptable Tests for Baseline and Annual Assessment Requirements

SCHOOLS: Duplicate and include with the annual assessment letter sent to parents, guardians, or legal or actual custodians.

PARENTS/GUARDIANS/LEGAL or ACTUAL CUSTODIANS: Refer to this list when choosing a standardized test to fulfill the baseline or annual assessment requirements.

Any test listed below may be used to fulfill the baseline and annual assessment requirements, provided that the copyright date of the test publisher's published national norms used for the test results to be reported is no older than 2000. The forms or editions listed below conform to this rule [281 IAC 31.8(2)]. Parents, guardians, or legal or actual custodians wishing to use a test or edition not in conformance must request and obtain permission in advance from the Director of the Department of Education.

1. Terra Nova, The Second Edition CAT(also referred to as CAT/6), Forms C and D (2000 norms) CTB McGraw Hill

Reading: K.0-12.9 Language: K.0-12.9

Science: K.0-12.9 Social Studies: K.0-12.9

Mathematics Composite: K.0-12.9

2. Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS); Forms A & B (2000 norms), The Riverside Publishing Company

Reading: K.8- 9.9 Language: K. 1-9.9

Science: 1.7- 9.9 Social Studies: 1.7-9.9

Mathematics Composite: K.1-9.9

3. Iowa Tests of Education Development (ITED); Forms A & B (2000 norms), The Riverside Publishing Company

Written Expression: 9.0-12.9 Quantitative Thinking: 9.0-12.9

Social Studies: 9.0-12.9 Natural Science: 9.0-12.9

Literary Materials: 9.0-12.9 Vocabulary: 9.0-12.9

Sources of Information: 9.0-12.9

4. Metropolitan Achievement Test (MAT); 8th Edition (2000 norms), Harcourt Educational Measurement

Reading: K.0-12.9 Language: K.0-12.9

Science: 1.5-12.9 Social Studies: 1.5-12.9

Mathematics Composite: K.0-12.9

5. Stanford Achievement Test; 10th Edition (2002 norms), Harcourt Brace Educational Measurement

Reading: K.0-12.9 (Abbrev: 1.5-12.9) Language: 1.5-12.9

Science: 3.5-12.9 Social Studies: 3.5-12.9

Mathematics Composite: 1.5-9.9

In the event that the parent, guardian, or legal or actual custodian of a child under competent private instruction and subject to the annual assessment requirement wishes to have the child take a standardized test not listed above, the parent, guardian, or legal or actual custodian shall request prior permission of the Director of the Department of Education to use a different test. 281-IAC 31.8(2)

I have found that the local school system is flexible to the extent they can be but watch out for the Secretary of Education in Iowa, Elizabeth Calhoun. She is a "rhymes with witch". I asked if dd could substitute her PSAT testing for the Iowa Test of Basic Skills as she is also taking 3 AP classes and the exams for those. This will be her third time taking the PSAT and her scores are enviously high. Nearly perfect. She sent back an email that was curt, rude and ...uniformed. " No," she stated that the "PSAT is only the pre SAT(NOT) and actually does not give any information as to whether your daughter is learning." Hmm we are getting scholarship offers based on PSAT scores ALONE, the SAT is a formality. But it will not suffice for your crappy ITBS which incidentally dd has never hit less than 98% on, really????! I am glad that Sarah Lawrence was very impressed with her score, so much so that they keep calling and mailing. You get the picture. Iowa is the pits. The reporting is intrusive, you need to provide all that is asked for on this form. Do not report more than is needed but do not quibble as they can be absolute blowhards. I am a lawyer and she still treated me like pond scum. I wonder what she is like to those who are not equipped or inclined to retort to her misinformation and absolute contempt for home educators. :confused: The local school system is generally who you need to work with and ours have been lovely other than the fact that they offer little to no AP courses for high school students. Here is the link to the law http://educateiowa.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=301&Itemid=1335 BTW, I am teaching all 3 AP courses this year again and have to pay 120.00 per proctor as the high schools in our city are offering none of the courses nor are there exams in other subjects being offered at the same time. So a free and public education is total crap. Thank goodness we can pay the fees or that option would be foreclosed to us as the local community college is abysmal and the AP is far more respected as the standards are normed nationally. Did I mention that Iowa stinks for home schooling??:lol: Sorry to be the dissenting voice but I have heard worse stories from other very responsible, lovely and highly able parent/teachers in southwest Iowa. Regardless of where dd attends I will have her send a note to Ms Calhoun thanking her for teaching her lessons in bureacratic doublespeak, obstinancy and how to walk through brick walls of ignorance. We have two PhD's in Education in my extended family and it seems that the attitude is ingrained within the programs of education departments. ARe you terrified?? Don't be. Iowans are friendly and generous to a fault. You will be treated with gentility and grace just not by the Secretary of Education.:auto:

I have found that the local school system is flexible to the extent they can be but watch out for the Secretary of Education in Iowa, Elizabeth Calhoun. She is a "rhymes with witch". I asked if dd could substitute her PSAT testing for the Iowa Test of Basic Skills as she is also taking 3 AP classes and the exams for those. This will be her third time taking the PSAT and her scores are enviously high. Nearly perfect. She sent back an email that was curt, rude and ...uniformed. " No," she stated that the "PSAT is only the pre SAT(NOT) and actually does not give any information as to whether your daughter is learning." Hmm we are getting scholarship offers based on PSAT scores ALONE, the SAT is a formality. But it will not suffice for your crappy ITBS which incidentally dd has never hit less than 98% on, really????! I am glad that Sarah Lawrence was very impressed with her score, so much so that they keep calling and mailing. You get the picture. Iowa is the pits. The reporting is intrusive, you need to provide all that is asked for on this form. Do not report more than is needed but do not quibble as they can be absolute blowhards. I am a lawyer and she still treated me like pond scum. I wonder what she is like to those who are not equipped or inclined to retort to her misinformation and absolute contempt for home educators. :confused: The local school system is generally who you need to work with and ours have been lovely other than the fact that they offer little to no AP courses for high school students. Here is the link to the law http://educateiowa.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=301&Itemid=1335 BTW, I am teaching all 3 AP courses this year again and have to pay 120.00 per proctor as the high schools in our city are offering none of the courses nor are there exams in other subjects being offered at the same time. So a free and public education is total crap. Thank goodness we can pay the fees or that option would be foreclosed to us as the local community college is abysmal and the AP is far more respected as the standards are normed nationally. Did I mention that Iowa stinks for home schooling??:lol: Sorry to be the dissenting voice but I have heard worse stories from other very responsible, lovely and highly able parent/teachers in southwest Iowa. Regardless of where dd attends I will have her send a note to Ms Calhoun thanking her for teaching her lessons in bureacratic doublespeak, obstinancy and how to walk through brick walls of ignorance. We have two PhD's in Education in my extended family and it seems that the attitude is ingrained within the programs of education departments. ARe you terrified?? Don't be. Iowans are friendly and generous to a fault. You will be treated with gentility and grace just not by the Secretary of Education.:auto:

From someone moving into the state, this is enlightening.

Edited by SewLittleTime
spelling

we are in Iaow too !! though MOVING this summer

we dual enroll at the local elementry. NO PROBLEMS - both my boys have IEPs and take classes (art, PE) and see the SLP there

we've had a great experence with no issues

i have a buddy in a differnt distraict and they have a homeschool support program -- it ROCKS and if i was in her district that is the option I'd choose.

Before school we simply dropped off out intent and vax exemption at the district off and that was that.

Testing doesn't start till 3rd grade so that doesn't apply to my kids.

really I think homeschool in Iowa is easy

Thanks for asking, Aimee!! I'm leaning toward the CAT test (since it's shorter than the ITBS) and going to a library where they offer free proctoring (Ankeny). I think I'll just give up on the portfolio evaluator idea since I'm having trouble finding one. Honestly, does no one in Iowa do this option?? Everyone I've met picks the supervising teacher option. I was given a list of names from the Niche, emailed all of the people, got no response from any of them. I'm a little bit chicken to just phone people I don't know. :( So I'll just have to make sure I'm ordering the right CAT test. :) Have a great day!

Thanks for asking, Aimee!! I'm leaning toward the CAT test (since it's shorter than the ITBS) and going to a library where they offer free proctoring (Ankeny). I think I'll just give up on the portfolio evaluator idea since I'm having trouble finding one. Honestly, does no one in Iowa do this option?? Everyone I've met picks the supervising teacher option. I was given a list of names from the Niche, emailed all of the people, got no response from any of them. I'm a little bit chicken to just phone people I don't know. :( So I'll just have to make sure I'm ordering the right CAT test. :) Have a great day!

I know a few people in the Central Iowa area that do the portfolio option. I just don't know any supervising teachers taking on new students.

Just now got internet hooked up! We are here in Iowa now!

I'm still at a loss as to what option to choose. They all have their pros and cons. Ds wants to do the testing b/c he found it fun last year.:001_huh: But I'm not sure that's what I want.

We really need to get plugged in here and meet other families. For those that use the homeschool support program, how do you find out if there is one in your area? This option seems somewhat appealing.

I'm also thinking I might just do the sub license and be my own supervising teacher. I need more info on that too. I have some links written down from when I talked to NICHE, but I haven't found that box yet! :D

Just now got internet hooked up! We are here in Iowa now!

I'm still at a loss as to what option to choose. They all have their pros and cons. Ds wants to do the testing b/c he found it fun last year.:001_huh: But I'm not sure that's what I want.

We really need to get plugged in here and meet other families. For those that use the homeschool support program, how do you find out if there is one in your area? This option seems somewhat appealing.

I'm also thinking I might just do the sub license and be my own supervising teacher. I need more info on that too. I have some links written down from when I talked to NICHE, but I haven't found that box yet! :D

I will call our HSAP today and get info for you...about your area.

Welcome to Iowa. I don't know about the area you are in, but Iowa City/Coralville area is awesome (about a 30 min drive from where you are). Love to get together once you are settled.

We've always done the testing option, because it is the "easiest" for me, and DD is a good tester (always has been). However, I am considering a neighboring district's HSAP for my Ker for next year. I don't like my local district's HSAP, so we would have to open enroll.

I'm not sure I want to do that for my will be 7th grader, because she is already established (via dual enrollment) in band, choir, and show choir at the local middle school. If I placed her in the other district's HSAP, she would no longer be a student of our current district and wouldn't be able to continue in those activities as she has been.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I really don't mind what we've been doing, but because we are not part of any homeschool groups and my Ker will never have attended ps (I pulled my older DD out in 4th grade) I'm thinking that maybe it would be a good option for her. I just don't know.

:seeya: Hi there from Council Bluffs in southwest Iowa. Glad you made it here!!! We do the ITBS option as it gives many opportunities for preparing for and taking the tests that really count as a high school student. Also I am profoundly uncomfortable with anyone reviewing the materials and work that comprise our day. Nothing scandalous but it feels very intrusive to do portfolio due to the need for radical grade skipping and the absolute loathing many have for living books over textbooks. I get so **** tired of justifying our choices to those who have no business asking that I have no patience for those who are legally permitted to do so. Once a year testing and send in the form linked here: http://educateiowa.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=301&Itemid=1335 Form A . As a substitute teacher you have more choices. Welcome!!

• 4 months later...

Bumping up because we are considering moving to the Story City area. I am so shocked at how strict the Iowa HS law is!

Are there no umbrella schools in Iowa? (An umbrella school in my current state is a private school that you register with. You send all of your information and test scores to it. You are technically considered a private school student and have no contact with the state.)

Are families that register through the school district in the HSAP program not looked down on? (In my state you are considered a public school student and the HSLDA and some local homeschool groups will not allow you to join.)

How strict are they on "showing progress" with your test scores? (My two oldest score in the 98%. To show progress would be tough. What if they have a bad testing day? My oldest took the Explore test two years in a row and even though his overall score went up, his math score went down due to a couple mistakes.)

My 7 year old who has an August B-day is registered a year younger in my state because she has dyslexia and another LD. In my state she won't need to test for 2 more years, but if we move to IA she will have to test right away and as an entering third grader! :ohmy: She sees a reading tutor and she is only reading cvc words and has just started to master her math facts. What do I do?

Quad,

I might have to get on the computer to do this right. Your 7 yo will not have to register as a 3rd grader. My Aug. birthday 7 yo will be a 3rd grader next year and I can promise you he is ALWAYS the youngest when we are in activities by age group. Not by days. On a 1st and 2nd grade basketball team, he was the youngest even though most of the first graders should have been younger than him. Apparently, most of the kids enter K at 6 around here. You can sign your Dd up as 2nd grader when you fill out the form.

I've only used the portfolio option. It hasn't been difficult. A friend of mine goes through the school. The teacher who is assigned to her is very helpful - stays out of her way unless asked for help. I'm thinking of using this option next school year. One of her kids has tested low. It wasn't a super big deal. No one is going to give you static about test scores even if they drop below 98.;)

Now take everything I said about ease of reporting with a grain of salt. We live in the very homeschool friendly NW of the state. Other areas may or may not be as easy.

ETA: I said 2nd grade, but some of the kids turn 7 in K so it wouldn't be such a stretch to call her 1st if you needed to. If you use the supervising teacher or portfolio option, you never have to test at all.

Edited by Meriwether

Are families that register through the school district in the HSAP program not looked down on? (In my state you are considered a public school student and the HSLDA and some local homeschool groups will not allow you to join.)

Although that may be true in *your* state, it is not true in Iowa.

In Iowa, one of the *homeschool* options is to supervised by a teacher. In California, homeschoolers are considered private school students--there are no *homeschool* statutes--and private schools have no relationship with public schools at all. Being supervised by a teacher as a homeschooler in Iowa is not the same thing as enrolling your children in a public school charter or ISP.

My 7 year old who has an August B-day is registered a year younger in my state because she has dyslexia and another LD. In my state she won't need to test for 2 more years, but if we move to IA she will have to test right away and as an entering third grader! :ohmy: She sees a reading tutor and she is only reading cvc words and has just started to master her math facts. What do I do?

I don't see anything in the IA law that says you have to specify a grade level.... but it sounds as if it might be better to find a supervising teacher.

The test level that most closely approximates the child’s chronological age must be used. per

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Iowa.pdf

I read the link and it does look like she'd be taking level 8 of the ITBS which is 2.5 -3.5. I do know that there are many (maybe a majority) of 8 yos in 2nd around here, so I'm sure it isn't as cut and dried as that. It might be best to go with a supervising teacher option.

This is our 7th year hs'ing in Iowa. I've never had an issue. We use the supervising teacher option. We meet once a month. We've had two different teachers, both have been excellent. They make sure we're doing ok, ask if we need anything, and that's about it. We don't even show work unless we want to. Our older son tested through high school, but the results came directly to us. We didn't have to show the results to anyone.

You do have to fill out a CPI form each year. I just list what we're using, for lesson plans I just say things like "follow TOC" or "complete lessons 1-148". I don't list anything they don't ask.

Bumping up because we are considering moving to the Story City area. I am so shocked at how strict the Iowa HS law is!

Are there no umbrella schools in Iowa? (An umbrella school in my current state is a private school that you register with. You send all of your information and test scores to it. You are technically considered a private school student and have no contact with the state.)

No, umbrella schools are not an option in Iowa.

If your children are enrolled with an HSAP then they are dual enrolled. They are enrolled as homeschool students and public school students. It would be just like if your child decided to take one class at a public school. I assume any state that allows that requires the family to dual enroll... but I guess I don't know that for sure. I have heard no such stories about stuck up elitist homeschool groups around here - other cities may differ.

How strict are they on "showing progress" with your test scores? (My two oldest score in the 98%. To show progress would be tough. What if they have a bad testing day? My oldest took the Explore test two years in a row and even though his overall score went up, his math score went down due to a couple mistakes.)

The law does not state that the child must, as they gain grade levels, do better than a higher percentage of students in the nation; the NPR would not need to increase and may go down. Scores are used to prove that a child has continued learning over the past year. Well, other students in the nation, ideally, have continued learning over the past year too, so one would not expect any student to do better than more and more children in the nation each year.

Here is the exact requirement for test scores

For all other students, the child’s score on a standardized test must be above the 30th percentile, nationally normed, in ALL areas tested. In addition, if the child’s evaluation results do not show that the child is at or above his/her grade level, the child must show at least six months’ progress from the previous evaluation results. Iowa Code section 299A.6.

I assume they use the grade level equivalent to determine "six months' progress." Perhaps the NSS plays a part in it too.

If I were you I would consider dual enrollment for at least that child in an HSAP so she would be entitled to services offered to public school students. If those services aren't helpful to you and you aren't interested in joining an HSAP then you could go with the portfolio review option. Testing is just one option in Iowa; it is not obligatory.

HTH!

Is the supervising teacher option really that common there? Like I said, you would pretty much be a homeschool outcast where I live, because you wouldn't be a "real" homeschooler. Would the HSLDA accept you if you have a supervising teacher from the school district? This is really very foreign to me!

A supervising teacher doesn't have to be affiliated with the school. I know of several current or retired homeschooling moms who serve as ST. You could be your own if you got a substitute license.

A supervising teacher doesn't have to be affiliated with the school. I know of several current or retired homeschooling moms who serve as ST. You could be your own if you got a substitute license.

Right. As long as they hold a state license anyone can be your ST. We had to switch when our oldest got to high school because our previous one was only K-8 and he wasn't yet 16.

We have a fairly large hs'ing community here. I think it's about equal those that have a ST to those that test. IDK anyone personally that uses the portfolio option.

Is the supervising teacher option really that common there? Like I said, you would pretty much be a homeschool outcast where I live, because you wouldn't be a "real" homeschooler. Would the HSLDA accept you if you have a supervising teacher from the school district? This is really very foreign to me!

Very common. I have no idea about HSLDA though. I have nothing to do with them.

Our homeschooling community here is pretty diverse, and mostly a "live and let live" bunch. I don't know anyone who feels like an outcast. :)

they are not that strict.

testing is just one option, you can also choose to work with a supervising teacher and that way the teacher would know her and understand