Menu

Knitting-Crocheting for a beginner-HELP!

I really want to learn to knit. Or do I want to learn to crochet? Or are they both similar enough that if I learn one the other will be easy to learn?

I need some help.

If you were a beginner (literally, people) what would you need to start with? Where would you go to learn? I do much better when I can see how to do it rather than read. Is youtube a good place to learn? Or should I go to a class, which in reality will not be easy for me to do, time wise.

I want to start slow so I don't overwhelm myself and throw in the towel. Also, so I don't strain the budget.

Thanks in advance for any tips, knowledge etc.!!

It depends on what you want to do.

Crocheting is faster than knitting. You can whip out a blanket much faster than knitting. Even socks. I crochet. I want to learn to knit but there isn't anyone to teach me. There are lessons at the mall, for $10 an hour. Not willing to pay it.

ETA: I forgot to mention *smacks forehead* you can do both! Look up Tunisian Crochet. It is a combo knit/crochet. I know someone who made a sweater, dress for her dd and socks. I haven't tried it yet. I want to though!

Edited by Mynyel

I keep recommending this woman's blog. She should pay me for the referrals :lol:.

The Crafty Minx Crochet School is awesome. She has a video for each lesson. I learned more here than I did taking a crochet class at Jo-Ann's, etc.

I can crochet fairly well now and I knit a little bit. I prefer the rhythm of crochet over knitting. That's the only way I know how to describe it. :001_smile:

Ok, so if I learn to crochet, will knitting then be easy, or am I really off in my thinking that these two are similar at all?

No, not close. :lol:

It is like comparing apples to oranges.

Crocheting is very easy to learn but in my opinion, knitting is more difficult to learn. Have you tried YouTube videos to watch and learn?

No, not close. :lol:

It is like comparing apples to oranges.

Crocheting is very easy to learn but in my opinion, knitting is more difficult to learn. Have you tried YouTube videos to watch and learn?

Darn! :lol:

I have literally not done anything yet, just have the want.

I will definitely check this link out!

I keep recommending this woman's blog. She should pay me for the referrals :lol:.

The Crafty Minx Crochet School is awesome. She has a video for each lesson. I learned more here than I did taking a crochet class at Jo-Ann's, etc.

I can crochet fairly well now and I knit a little bit. I prefer the rhythm of crochet over knitting. That's the only way I know how to describe it. :001_smile:

Thanks, I will check this out!

I learned how to crochet at about age 7. I have tried to teach myself how to knit about 4 times and just.couldn't.get.it! Then I found a video on youtube for continental knitting and you hold the work and yarn in a very similar way to crochet and bam! I got it right away. I do think crochet is easier but that is what I know so I am sure I am partial. Youtube is great for learning by watching and doing. Try that.

Ok, so if I learn to crochet, will knitting then be easy, or am I really off in my thinking that these two are similar at all?

Nope! Not at all!:lol:

It wasn't until a few weeks ago I ever heard of Rivalry and discovered what my grandmother showed me was actually pretty dadblum unusual! I haven't done anything in a couple decades until this past Christmas and it is a real joy to see how fast it is coming back to me.

I've tried and tried to knit and it is like a 3 legged person trying to 2 step dance. There's a lot of fumbling and it isn't pretty.

Crochet? Pick up and go. Ãœber easy.

ETA: Another thing I like about crochet, is it is easy to teach any if my kids who show an interest. Knitting is a bit more complicated to start with, so it isn't as easy to learn with the kids.

Edited by Martha

I just started knitting! I am loving it! I could not have done it without this site: KnittingHelp.com. My kids laugh at me because I sit at the computer while they are eating breakfast and I watch this gal's videos over and over until I get the stitch right. :)

Edited by Guest

My brain must be wired wrong. I taught myself to knit, then taught myself to knit continental style. I've tried to learn crochet and I cannot do it. I have a hard time keeping track of the chain count. Every year I pick up a crochet needle thinking this year will be the year I learn to crochet, and it's always a big failure.

I learned crochet first and it is easy. I think it helps to know crochet in general (you can use it to finish off knitting projects etc). Knitting is a little harder and a little slower. But after you know the basics of crochet, then I would look at a bunch of project and decide what you really like, because I know I like knitted projects better. Unless I'm doing a baby afgan, I'd rather knit. Pinterest is a good place to get project ideas.

I think they're totally different skills. I can do both, barely.

Go to www.knittinghelp.com for help and fantastic videos. For crochet, someone here directed me to http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html . I found the videos to be very helpful. I literally crocheted a snowflake in front of my laptop!

I learned to knit with an in-person class with some help from knittinghelp. I've self-taught crochet with help from the aforementioned videos. Good luck!

Oh, oh - go to www.knitpicks.com for the BEST needles ever! Very affordable too.

ETA: Rebecca knows how to knit since I can do that better - she learned at about 7. I bought her a crochet scarf kit for Christmas and am shaking in my shoes over teaching her crochet!

Edited by Mommy22alyns

What are you wanting to make and what type of fabric do you like better? Knit fabric feels different than crocheted fabric.

I've never liked crochet sweaters. No Offense to any crochet artists out there.

Learn to do what will give you something you love and can use, even if it is harder, because like other ladies have mentioned, one technique will not help you learn the other.

I love to knit and it doesn't hurt my hands like crochet. I also found it easier to learn. If you don't like learning online ask around. I can't tell you how many women I've taught to knit for free while sitting at park days or at other kids events.

I just started knitting! I am loving it! I could not have done it without this site: KnittingHelp.com. My kids laugh at me because I sit at the computer while they are eating breakfast and I watch this gal's videos over and over until I get the stitch right. :)

My dh and I watched and watched and watched and watched..those dadblum videos until it just about made us both cross eyed with no success whatsoever. Eventually I managed to cast on and that is just about it.

Dh swears up and down that woman has protruding knuckles bc he cannot make his knuckles hold the yarn like hers appear to. He couldn't figure out how to even cast on.:lol: